• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Boxing discussion thread

Re: 2010 Boxing discussion thread

David Haye returns April 3

MANCHESTER, England -- David Haye will make the first defense of the WBA world heavyweight against John Ruiz in Manchester on April 3.

The 29-year-old British fighter, also a former world cruiserweight champion, captured the heavyweight crown from Russia's Nikolai Valuev in November in Germany.

Haye will face Ruiz, the WBA's No. 1 contender and former champion, at Manchester's MEN Arena.

Antonio Margarito's biggest supporter? His opponent

There are a lot of people utterly disgusted by the likelihood of Antonio Margarito being granted a boxing license by Texas regulators, Carson Jones isn't one of them.

If Margarito, who was punished last year by the California State Athletic Commission for attempting to wear loaded gloves for his fight with Shane Mosley in Los Angeles, gets his license, Top Rank will match him with Jones in a 10-rounder at 155 pounds. It will be a high-profile fight co-featured on the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey HBO PPV card at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Hopkins fighting Jones to stay busy

Many of us greeted the news that Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones were finally getting together again the way we might receive the news that Hootie and the Blowfish were reuniting, or that some comic from the 1930s who everybody thought was dead already, actually died.

That’s to say some of us cared. Most of us didn’t.

It seemed a moot point when Jones went down against Danny Green in Australia as though someone had dropped a cartoon anvil on his head. In the first round, no less. And from one punch!

Surely that would squash any chance there was of another meeting between Hopkins and Jones. So certain were we that when I wrote a feature about it for the March 2010 RING magazine (on sale now), the piece was titled, “Going In Different Directions: Hopkins and Jones Will Meet Again … In the Hall of Fame!”

Shows how much we know, especially when it comes to Bernard Hopkins.

As you have no doubt heard by now, the fight will proceed in spite of Jones’ collapse against Green, and really, we should have seen it coming. The signs all were there.

Mayweather's arraignment delayed

LAS VEGAS -- A judge granted a delay for boxing trainer Roger Mayweather's arraignment on felony charges that he beat and choked a female boxer at a Las Vegas apartment last August.

Clark County District Court Hearing Master Kevin Williams made it clear Tuesday that he was unhappy the 48-year-old Mayweather didn't show for his scheduled 1:30 p.m. PT arraignment on coercion, battery-strangulation and battery causing substantial bodily harm charges.

Mayweather's lawyer, Jack Buchanan, says Mayweather will plead not guilty.

The judge agreed to a Thursday morning time after Buchanan said Mayweather keeps a tight afternoon training schedule at a Las Vegas gym.

Among other fighters, Mayweather trains his nephew, Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Roger Mayweather is currently free on $13,000 bail.

Margarito: "I'm the only one who can beat Pacquiao"

Former three time welterweight champion Antonio Margarito is training for his long awaited ring return on the March 13 pay-per-view undercard to Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey at Cowboys Stadium in Texas. Sitting on the sidelines for nearly a year, Margarito is expected to receive his boxing license in the next couple of days from the Texas Commission.

Margarito's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, told BoxingScene.com last week that a Pacquiao-Margarito showdown is possible for the summer. Arum said Margarito will need to look very good against his comeback opponent Carson Jones, and Pacquiao has to do his part by beating Clottey.

"The truth is I feel very motivated to get back in a big event, with over 50,000 people in Texas, where a lot of those people will be of Mexican descent," said Margarito from his training camp in Tijuana to The Record. "I hope to earn that chance against Pacquiao to prove that I am the only one who can beat him."

De La Hoya disgusted with Margarito's comeback

Oscar De La Hoya on Tuesday played host to a news conference promoting the Feb. 25 junior welterweight fight between Victor Ortiz and Hector Alatorre at Club Nokia at L.A. Live.

One of the issues that popped up as De La Hoya held court afterward was the idea that Antonio Margarito is going to try and get licensed in Texas so he can fight Carson Jones on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey welterweight title fight March 13 at Cowboys Stadium.

"I'm disgusted," De La Hoya said to BoxingScene.com. "The fact that they're going over California ... to get a license, I'm very disgusted by it."

Froch rejects venue, Kessler fight in jeopardy

WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch is playing hard to get with Mikkel Kessler. Froch is refusing to fight in the Danish city of Herning, demanding a new fight venue for title fight on April 17. Froch fears that most of his fans will be unable to travel all the way to Herning for the fight. He doesn't have a problem with the fight taking place in Kessler's country of Denmark. He wants the city of Copenhagen to host the fight.

Kessler: "I will take Froch's title"

Copenhagen - Mikkel Kessler presented his new gym to the media today when he hosted an open training session in Copenhagen. The Viking Warrior cannot wait to get back in the ring and become world champion again. The 30-year-old will meet WBC Champion Carl Froch in the second round of the Super Six World Boxing Classic, and Kessler is already looking forward to it. “I really had a bad night against Andre Ward, but I had a good rest, analysed everything with my team and now I am ready for Froch,” he said. “I have just started my preparation with my new coach Jimmy Montoya. Things have been going really well. We are training very hard here in Copenhagen and will move camp to Berlin next week. I feel very hungry without a world title and I will take the WBC belt from Froch.”

mr google

Banned

Thanks for the updates, especially the USADA Chief Executive interview. :thumbsup:

Mayweather pleads not guilty

LAS VEGAS -- Boxing trainer Roger Mayweather pleaded not guilty Thursday to felony charges that he beat and choked a female boxer at an apartment he owned last August.

A judge set trial for June 1 on coercion, battery-strangulation and battery causing substantial bodily harm charges that carry the possibility of three to 16 years in prison.

Mayweather, 48, declined to comment following the brief appearance before Clark County District Court Hearing Master Kevin Williams. There was no mention of a Tuesday court date Mayweather missed when he sent word through his lawyer that he was needed at the gym.

Mayweather vs. Mosley to be officially announced soon

An official announcement is almost here for the welterweight clash between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and WBA champion Shane Mosley. The fighters have agreed to all of the fine points, including the money. The fight will take place on May 1 at the MGM Grand. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told Yahoo Sports that “all major deal points have been agreed upon. I hope to have something to announce in the next few days."

Boxing scribe Kevin Iole reports that a press conference to officially announce the fight may take place in New York as early as next week.

Khan/Hatton can make serious $$$, but it really doesn't look good right now. Especially if what Frank Warren said was true:

"He was badly knocked out against Pacquiao, he's the size of a house and he doesn't look good," Warren told Sky Sports. "He's at least 13-and-a-half to 14 stone and if he's going to fight at 10 stone that's a stone a month, now that for any person, is a difficult thing to do."

The Maidana fight won't happen, and Timothy Bradley is locked in with Showtime.

As for Marquez, I think he should take one more lightweight fight before moving up.

Calzaghe, Hatton, and now Khan. Does Frank Warren have any high-profile fighters left?

I'm pleased that Khan is with Golden Boy and want to see him fight Juan Manuel Marquez.

Ask and you shall receive: Twitter / Kevin Iole

Schaefer says Amir Khan-Juan Manuel Marquez for May 15

In the latest Yahoo! Sports P4P rankings, Juan Manuel Marquez is listed as fighting Amir Khan on May 15. Later in the day, Yahoo! analyst Kevin Iole said on Facebook, "Richard Schaefer told me this afternoon he's trying to finalize Marquez-Khan for May 15."

Marquez was tentatively scheduled to fight on May 1, the last Saturday before Cinco de Mayo. Now, that date will go to the massive Shane Mosley-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight, and Marquez will be pushed back a couple of weeks.

This will be Khan's first fight on American soil, and he'll have some advantages. We saw Marquez struggle badly over 135 pounds when he went up to welterweight to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. last September, barely landing a punch on the bigger, faster and younger man.

I was hoping JMM would fight Katsidis on the Mayweather/Mosley PPV as the co-feature

Berto-Malignaggi, other fights being kicked around

Welterweight titlist Andre Berto, a Haitian-American who called off Saturday's unification fight with Shane Mosley after eight members of his extended family were killed in the Haiti earthquake, went on a humanitarian mission to Haiti to bring aid.

Berto also brought his sister and her daughter back to the United States after their home was destroyed by the quake.

Berto has stayed busy doing his part to help in Haiti. But he's also anxious to get back to boxing, especially after putting in nearly a full training camp in preparation to fight Mosley.

That ring return could come April 10 on HBO at New York's Madison Square Garden, DiBella said.

There has been early conversation about Berto facing former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi, whom DiBella also promotes and who is coming off an impressive win against Juan Diaz in their December rematch.

"The idea has been thrown out, but we haven't yet had substantive conversations," DiBella said. "Until [Berto manager] Al Haymon and I can sit down and talk with Andre, nothing is going to happen. But it's an idea that's been kicked around."

DiBella put a hold on the Garden for April 10 a few weeks ago when Malignaggi was raised as a possible opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr.. It was a fortuitous move, because now it might be used for Berto-Malignaggi.

Rafael's notebook

HBO continues to hash out its spring schedule with two new dates added to the mix. Schaefer said HBO has carved out March 27 for a "Boxing After Dark" that could feature Michael Katsidis against Robert Guerrero in a lightweight main event. Another date penciled in is May 8, which would be for the return of Paul Williams, who won a middleweight slugfest against junior middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez on Dec. 5 but might fight at junior middleweight in his next bout, possibly against Kermit Cintron. Also, HBO continues working on an April 17 split-site show. In one fight, Kelly Pavlik would defend the middleweight title in Atlantic City. Top Rank and Lou DiBella are trying to finalize a Pavlik-Martinez fight. In the other bout, Lucian Bute will defend his super middleweight title in Montreal. Edison Miranda is the leading candidate to face him.

The Roy Jones-Bernard Hopkins rematch, signed weeks ago, now has a date locked in. It will take place April 3 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, CEO Schaefer told ESPN.com. The fight originally was penciled in for April 17 but was moved so it wouldn't conflict with live HBO and Showtime cards. Schaefer said that the pay-per-view bout will be distributed by HBO PPV but that Golden Boy will handle the production, which means HBO's broadcast crew won't call the fight and there won't be an HBO replay the next week.

Golden Boy is working to finalize an Amir Khan-Juan Manuel Marquez bout for May 15 on HBO. "We are actively working on it," Golden Boy's Schaefer told ESPN.com. "Khan is willing to fight to him and Marquez wants to fight at 140. He told us he doesn't want to fight at 135 anymore." Marquez, the lightweight champion, would move up to junior welterweight to fight Khan, who holds a 140-pound title. England's Khan recently signed with Golden Boy, which has promoted Marquez for years. Schaefer said the two leading sites to host the fight are Las Vegas and Houston.

Golden Boy made official the return of "Fight Night Club" for a second season. The monthly cards from Club Nokia in Los Angeles will air on Fox Sports Net this season after debuting on Versus last year. The season kicks off Feb. 25 with junior welterweight prospect Victor Ortiz facing Hector Alatorre (16-8, 5 KOs) in a 10-rounder, with lightweight prospect Luis Ramos (13-0, 7 KOs) in the six-round co-feature against an opponent to be named. "I've had my own share of ups and downs," said Ortiz, who bounced from the down of a knockout loss to Marcos Maidana this past summer (in which Ortiz quit) to knock out Antonio Diaz in December. "Ups are always great, downs always hurt, but you have to come back strong. I don't think I'm gonna be able to just walk right through Hector because he's tough, but I'm ready." If Ortiz (25-2-1, 20 KOs) wins, he could face former unified lightweight titlist Nate Campbell on HBO May 15 on the undercard of the potential Khan-Marquez fight, Schaefer told ESPN.com.

The junior welterweight unification bout between titleholders Devon Alexander (19-0, 12 KOs) and Juan Urango (22-2-1, 17 KOs) is a done deal. Alexander signed his contract this week, manager and trainer Kevin Cunningham told ESPN.com. The fight had been finalized on all other fronts other than Cunningham's working out the specifics of Alexander's deal with promoter Don King. The fight is March 6 at the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut and headlines HBO's "Boxing After Dark." It will be the HBO debut for Alexander, 22, who won his slice of the 140-pound title in August by dominating England's Junior Witter, who quit after the eighth round. Colombia's Urango, 29, is coming off a title-retaining 11th-round knockout of ex-titleholder Randall Bailey in August.

Fresh off his second-round wipeout of Rogers Mtagwa on HBO on Saturday in New York, featherweight titlist Yuriorkis Gamboa (17-0, 15 KOs) will make his third defense March 27 in Germany against an opponent to be named. Gamboa is co-promoted by Top Rank and Ahmet Öner's Arena Box, and Öner recently made a deal with German network Sat.1. Gamboa will headline the debut card of the new series. The 2004 Cuban Olympic gold medalist signed with Arena after defecting and had five of his first six pro fights in Germany. "I want to promote in Germany because we started here, and after [the fight], he is back on HBO," Öner told ESPN.com. Heavyweight Juan Carlos Gomez is due to return on the undercard for his first bout since Vitali Klitschko knocked him out in a March 2009 title bout.

Heavyweight Odlanier Solis, the other 2004 Cuban Olympic gold medalist and defector co-promoted by Top Rank and Arena, headlines "Top Rank Live" (FSN/FS en Espanol) March 20 in Key West, Fla., Top Rank's Carl Moretti told ESPN.com. Solis (15-0, 11 KOs), coming off a second-round destruction of faded contender Monte Barrett in October, will meet Carl Drumond (26-2, 20 KOs), who has lost two in a row but still is a step up. Leon Margules, Drumond's promoter, said they accepted the fight over an offer to face Alexander Povetkin in Germany on March 13.

Junior bantamweight champ Vic Darchinyan of Australia, who returns March 6 (Showtime), defends against Mexico's Rodrigo Guerrero (13-1, 9 KOs), promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com. The bout opens Showtime's Arthur Abraham-Andre Dirrell Super Six tournament bout telecast. Guerrero owns wins against Luis Maldonado, whom Darchinyan stopped in a 2006 flyweight title defense, and Juan Alberto Rosas, who became mandatory for a 115-pound belt after winning a November eliminator. Shaw hopes Darchinyan wins and Nonito Donaire beats Gerson Guerrero (no relation) on Feb. 13 and it leads to a Donaire-Darchinyan rematch. Donaire starched Darchinyan in the fifth round in 2007 to win a flyweight title in a major upset. "Guerrero's a pretty good fighter and I think he'll give Vic some rounds, but after that I'm going to try to make the Donaire rematch," Shaw said. "I spoke with Cameron [Dunkin, Donaire's manager], and he told me they're interested."

Youngstown, Ohio's Billy Lyell will try to make the most of an unexpected middleweight title shot Saturday against Sebastian Sylvester in Germany. Lyell (21-7, 4 KOs) is a longtime sparring partner for Youngstown's more famous middleweight, champion Kelly Pavlik. Lyell got the last-minute call to fight Sylvester when Spain's Pablo Navascues flunked a random drug test and was bounced from the fight last week. "This is the chance I have been waiting for," said Lyell, whose biggest win came in April 2009 when he upset John Duddy in a split decision. "Since my trainer, Jack Loew, also coaches Kelly Pavlik, a fight against him is very unlikely," Lyell said. "That is why we have been thinking about a fight with Sylvester for quite a while. We know him very well. I am in great shape since I was due to fight this weekend anyway, so I will make the most of this great chance."

South African promoter Branco Sports Productions won a purse bid this week to promote the Ali Funeka-Rolando Reyes vacant lightweight title bout. Branco, which doesn't have a contract with either fighter, bid $140,000, easily beating the only other bidder, Cedric Kushner's Gotham Boxing, which co-promotes Funeka with Gary Shaw and offered $76,000. According to the IBF, the fight will take place in South Africa and must be staged within 90 days.

Video: Friday Night Fights recap

Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather Jr. agree to fight

Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have agreed to terms for a welterweight super fight, Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe said Friday. Later Friday, Mosley signed his contract in Las Vegas, Mosley's attorney Judd Burstein told ESPN.com.

"Shane has signed. I sat with him [Friday] and we went through every provision of the contract and he signed," Burstein said. "He is excited to move forward with the bout."

Mosley will defend his welterweight title against Mayweather on May 1 on HBO PPV at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Mayweather's signature is a formality, according to Burstein and Ellerbe.

"I confirmed with Leonard [on Friday night] that there are no issues," Burstein said.

Ellerbe: Floyd coming for all top welters

Leonard Ellerbe, adviser to Floyd Mayweather Jr., says his fighter returned from retirement to clean house. Mayweather wants the big events and the big names at welterweight. He plans to start his quest with WBA champion Shane Mosley on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Mosley has signed the contract, which includes a rematch clause and calls for both fighters to take part in random drug tests.

“Floyd tried to fight the guy everyone thought was the best guy available and we couldn’t get that fight done, so we went to the next guy on the list,” Ellerbe said to Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports. “As I’ve said many times, when Floyd decided to come back to boxing, he did it to be in major events. He’s going to face all of the top welterweights and one by one, knock them all off.”

Ellerbe told Iole the contracts were being drawn up and Mayweather will sign as soon as his contract is ready. A press conference to announce the fight is expected to take place in New York in the next days.

Shumenov beats Campillo, or so says the judges

Beibut Shumenov’s game plan for Friday’s rematch with Gabriel Campillo was simple; right the wrongs he committed in the first fight and be smarter with his punches. Do that, and his second attempt at making the record books is a successful one.

When all was said and done, the only move that needed to be made was to bring the fight to Vegas.

In what boiled down to a debate of activity versus clean punching, the former proved to be enough for Shumenov to take a disputed 12-round split decision to avenge the lone loss of his professional career and capture a light heavyweight title quicker than any fighter in the history of the division.

The bout served as the main event of a televised doubleheader, which aired live from the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada on Fox Sports Network.

Judges Levi Martinez and Patricia Morse-Jarman were amazingly six rounds apart on their pair of atrocious scorecards, scoring the bout 117-111 in opposite directions – Martinez in favor of Campillo, Morse-Jarman for the house fighter.

Breaking the tie was veteran judge Jerry Roth, who saw the bout 115-113 in favor of Shumenov, who improves to 9-1 (6KO).

I scored it for Campillo, 117-111.

Valuev rejects Klitschko's $1 million, wants more money

The negotiations for the possible fight between the WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko and the ex-champion Nikolay Valuev now become more concrete. The sides have already begun discussing the money for the bout.

During an interview with Blik, Vitali disclosed that he had called Nikolay and offered him a fight.

“I’m an acting world champion, while Valuev isn’t even a contender”, - says Klitschko. – “I have the right to make a voluntary defense and I decided myself on whom to present a chance to fight for the champion’s belt. I decided to give this chance to Nikolay. I called back to Valuev and made him an offer."

"I offered him the fee for the fight. It’s money that correlates with his size. He took the time to think it over. I called him again several days later. He recommended that I continue the negotiations with Don King”."

Valuev confirmed this information in the interview to the same edition.

Though the fee which “correlates with his size” - it doesn’t satisfy the Russian Giant. According to Blik the sum in question is $1 million dollars including the promoters’ fee.

“He offered me the same amount as he did to his last opponent Kevin Johnson”, - said Valuev. – “A million? Yes, Vitali offered me that amount. But for me that sum is unacceptable”.

Haye supports Ricky Hatton, promises to eliminate Ruiz

WBA heavyweight champion David Haye is backing countryman Ricky Hatton on his decision to return to the ring. Hatton announced his comeback a few short weeks ago. He plans to get in the ring in the next few months. A lot of his fans and friends have asked him walk away and retire. Haye promises to attend Hatton's return to show support from ringside.

"I think it's great Ricky has decided to make a comeback," Haye told MEN Sport. "Whatever he feels he needs to do I will support him 100 percent. If he wanted to retire I would support that, too. If he feels he still has something to give then why not. You can be sure that whenever he fights Ricky is going to draw a big crowd. He will give a good night's entertainment and the one thing he can count on is me being ringside for that fight."

Haye made a promise to eliminate John Ruiz on April 3 at the MEN Arena in Manchester. He wants to batter Ruiz so bad that he never returns to the ring again. Though Ruiz has said retirement will be factor if Haye beats him.

"I like to call him a cure for insomnia," Haye said. "No one wants him because of his style. People in Puerto Rico say he is American and the Americans say he is from Puerto Rico. But I'm going to make sure it's the last time they see John Ruiz."

Part I: Floyd Mayweather vs all-time welterweight greats

Part II: Floyd Mayweather vs all-time welterweight greats

Floyd Mayweather Jr. was supposed to face future hall of famer Manny Pacquiao but that fight fell through because of a disagreement over drug testing. Now, Mayeather is negotiating to fight Shane Mosley, another of this era’s best fighters. We’ll see whether the talks lead to actual meeting in the ring.

While we wait, just for fun, let’s pit Mayweather against 10 of the top welterweights of all time in imaginary fights and speculate how he might’ve fared. Ask Mayweather where he ranks, and he’ll tell you, “Numero uno.” He’ll look back at the Sugar Rays and think, “No doubt, I could have beaten ‘em.” Put the same question to his army of media detractors, and they won’t even concede he’s the best of a bad bunch. For all his undoubted skills, they’ll say he runs scared of the danger men, and instead picks fights with little guys.

So where lies the truth? How would the 2010 version of “Money” Mayweather have fared against 10 of the best 147-pound division has had over the last century?

Not done yet: Arce dominates Angkota for vacant title

The wildly popular Mexican slugger delivered what was easily his best performance in years and added another alphabet title to his collection in the process, thanks to a dominating – albeit cut-short – unanimous technical decision over Angky Angkota in their vacant super flyweight title fight.

The bout served as the main event of a televised doubleheader in the second entry of “Top Rank Live” on Fox Sports Network, which aired live from Plaza de Toros Arroyo in Mexico City, Mexico.

CompuBox Punch Stats: Shumenov vs Campillo II - Boxing News

For the fight, Campillo out-landed Shumenov 320-219 -- a 101-punch gap -- but in many rounds Shumenov built a huge lead in the first minute to force Campillo to fight from behind in most rounds. That may have been the reason behind last night's decision. Here is the total breakdown minute by minute:

First minute:
Shumenov: 100 of 317
Campillo: 60 of 157

Second minute:
Shumenov: 62 of 208
Campillo: 130 of 308

Third minute:
Shumenov: 57 of 232
Campillo: 130 of 301

As seen above Campillo was the master in the second and third minutes and while he had a commanding edge on the total stats his tendency to fight in spurts -- and the fact that the fight was in Shumenov's adopted home town -- may have cost him the title.

Mayweather talks Pacquiao and steroids
Interview
Floyd Mayweather Jr. recently spoke to DJ Whoo Kid about his upcoming fight with WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley on May 1 and the broken negotiations to make a deal for a fight with Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather said the Mosley fight is done for May 1. He plans to start training very soon and the pre-fight hype will begin in the next few days.

"Me and Shane Mosley is May 1st. It's just another obstacle that I have to accomplish and it's just another obstacle that I have to cross. You go with what makes business sense first. At first Pacquiao, that fight made a lot of sense. So you go to second option when the first option don't work," Mayweather said.

A Look at the Heavyweight division in 2010

The heavyweight division has slightly changed over the last twelve months. Champions Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko remain at the top, but other faces were either promoted or demoted in the division’s rankings. Also, we witnessed the arrival of former light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek, who stopped veteran Andrew Golota in his first heavyweight win. Old faces returned such as Shannon Briggs and David Tua, although Briggs is currently suspended since he tested positive for a banned substance in his return bout against Marcus McGee on December 3rd. It was originally a 1st-round knockout win for Briggs, but was eventually changed to a no contest.

There is also a new WBA titleholder in former cruiserweight champion David Haye. Although Haye failed to step into the ring with both Klitschko brothers, he was able to face and defeat Nikolai Valuev on November 7th. While some fans were eager to see Valuev dethroned of heavyweight gold, the fashion of Haye’s victory left a sour taste for many spectators that evening. For most of the bout, Haye was on the run in hopes to avoid any possible attack from his giant opponent. In the end, neither man looked impressive; therefore, heavyweight fans need to hang back to see what developments take place in 2010.

While Eddie Chambers and Alexander Povetkin are still among the top challengers in the division, names like Samuel Peter, Juan Carlos Gomez, Ruslan Chagaev and Alexander Dimitrenko must climb their way back up. On the other hand, Cristobal Arreola and Tony Thompson are already back on the rise in hopes of landing another shot at heavyweight gold.

At the moment, some intriguing heavyweight match-ups have already been scheduled for the year’s first few months. In February, Tomasz Adamek will enter his second heavyweight bout against prospect Jason Estrada. In March, heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko defends his throne against Eddie Chambers. Plus, David Tua looks to face Friday Ahunanya on a March date in New Zealand.

Weekend recap

Golden Boy looking at busy spring

Golden Boy Promotions is going to be awfully busy in the coming months. There are its smaller monthly "Fight Night Club" shows on Fox Sports Net and dates on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights." There are bigger "World Championship Boxing" and "Boxing After Dark" cards on HBO. And, of course, there are pay-per-view events, including the huge Shane Mosley-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight on May 1.

Mayweather/Vargas agree: Mosley fight tops Pacquiao

During Golden Boy's co-promotion of Shumenov-Campillo on Friday night in Las Vegas, BoxingScene.com sat down with former champion Fernando Vargas to watch a few of the fights. After Roger Mayweather's pupil Jesse Vargas won his bout, Roger, trainer/uncle of Floyd Mayweather Jr., stopped by for a quick chat.

When asked about the Mayweather vs. Mosley showdown for May 1, Roger commended Shane for agreeing to the fight and the contract clause that calls for random drug testing. When Manny Pacquiao's upcoming fight with Joshua Clottey came up - Mayweather said there is no comparison between the two pay-per-view events. He said Mayweather-Mosley is on another level in comparison to Pacquiao-Clottey.

Fernando Vargas, no stranger himself when it comes to participating in big events, agreed with Roger.

Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins talk April 3 rematch

NEW YORK - After 17 years the wait is over as sure-fire future Hall of Famers Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins and Roy "The Terminator" Jones Jr. collide in a long awaited rematch that will add the final chapter to their 17-year rivalry. The Rivals: Hopkins vs. Jones II is set for Saturday, April 3 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nev. The bout will be broadcast live on pay-per-view beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

The fighters will participate in a press tour with stops in New York and Los Angeles next Tuesday and Wednesday, February 9 and 10, respectively.

De La Hoya pressed to sign waiver for past drug tests

Widely respected, award-winning boxing writer Thomas Hauser who is also a lawyer, is pressing Oscar De La Hoya to sign a waiver so that the Nevada State Athletic Commission can release the records of drug tests conducted on “The Golden Boy” when he was fighting.

Hauser repeated his challenge to De La Hoya which came out in a lengthy, detailed article earlier in January at the height of the controversy over unsubstantiated allegations that pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao was on performance enhancing drugs.

Hauser told us “To repeat; this is a golden opportunity for Oscar De La Hoya to show the world how a righteous PED-free fighter acts and remove any hint of suspicion that he himself might not have clean hands” and posed the question “Why doesn’t Oscar simply sign the waiver.”

He said should De La Hoya sign the waiver then “maybe Keith Kizer (the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission) will learn something.”

Photos: Manny Pacquiao training for Joshua Clottey

John Ruiz: My style is perfect to beat David Haye

WBA heavyweight champion David Haye defends his title against mandatory John Ruiz on April 3 in Manchester, England. The challenger, a former two time WBA champion, wants to claim the title for a third time. A loss may send Ruiz into retirement. Ruiz feels good with a new trainer, a new promoter and a new chance to become the champ.

"I've never felt so calm and comfortable. I have a new trainer (Miguel Diaz), a new promoter (Golden Boy Promotions) and another chance to become world champion," Ruiz told Primera Hora.

Ruiz believes that he has the perfect style to beat Haye. He studied some tapes on Haye and plans to bring the fight to the champion. He thinks Haye is very vulnerable when he is made to fight.

"My style is perfect to beat Haye. You have to press him. I have to be aggressive," said Ruiz. "The most important thing is to make my fight. I've studied him a little and I know how to beat Haye."

Daivd Haye: John Ruiz is dull, boring, no personality

WBA heavyweight champion David Haye (23-1, 21 KOs) is now firing back at former two-time heavyweight champion John Ruiz (44-8-1, 30 KOs). Haye defends against Ruiz on April 3 at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England. He blasted Ruiz and said the challenger's personality and ring ability is so dull that he won't be able to do much of his usual pre-fight trash talking.

“Ruiz is a dull guy and perhaps so boring even I won’t be able to trash talk him. He has no personality and that is reflected in his marketability. Nobody wants him. He is a two-time world heavyweight champion that nobody wants to fight,” Haye told ESPN.co.uk.

Haye was unable to fight fire with fire with the seven-foot Nikolai Valuev last year when he capture the title from the giant. He thinks Ruiz's style will allow him to explode with his usual power punch combinations to score a spectacular knockout. Haye wants to impress in order to lure the Klitschko brothers to the table.

“He will be good for me. I can be more gung-ho against him. I can do my usual stuff and it will come off,” Haye said.

Warren talks about Amir Khan avoiding Maidana defense

Promoter Frank Warren thinks WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan will send the wrong message by avoiding a fight with mandatory Marcos Maidana. Khan and his trainer Freddie Roach don't think the fight is big enough right now and want to wait it out. Golden Boy Promotions, who recently signed Khan and currently promote Maidana, are looking to build the fight up. The WBA may force the issue. If they do, Khan is likely to vacate the belt. If Khan vacates, Warren says he should have done it against Dmitriy Salita.

"It just seems to be the people around him saying they don't want Maidana. Freddie Roach pretty much said Maidana doesn't mean anything and he needs to build himself up. But I find that quite a strange quote as Amir's never been shown on American TV. Maidana, on the other hand, knocked out Golden Boy's Victor Ortiz on HBO! As a result, everybody knows him, so it's such a strange comment to make. The big fights are there for Khan, it just depends what direction he goes down."

Warren is offended with Khan's reasoning for leaving him. The British star told reporters that he wanted the big fights in America and had to go to Golden Boy to get those fights. Warren said a deal was already in place for Khan to unify with WBC champion Timothy Bradley.

Klitschko praises Chambers, talks Povetkin

IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko ,in the recent interview to Sovetsky Sport newspaper, talked about his next opponent Eddie Chambers and promised that in 2010 he would surely fight Russian Alexander Povetkin.

“Eddie Chambers is the best boxer of America," - said Wladimir. – “Believe me, I’m honest when I say it. I really think that at the moment he is the best American heavyweight. And, what’s more important, he is progressing. He used to be my sparring partner. Even then I saw that this guy not only knew how to box but also how to learn. Chambers beat Alexander Dimitrenko, who is even taller than me. So I’m not going to underestimate him, especially taking into account his record – 35 victories and only one loss."

The only loss of Chambers happened in the bout with the other contender for Klitschko’s belt – Russian heavyweight Alexander Povetkin.

“I watched that fight live”, - told Klitschko. – “I thought then that Eddie was too careless about that bout - came to Europe only one week before the fight, didn’t have enough time to adapt, and because of that he simply ran out of gas in the middle of the fight. As for my meeting with Povetkin, his turn will definitely come, because sooner or later I’ll have to defend my IBF title. If the injuries won’t be an obstacle, I’ll surely cross my path with Povetkin before the end of this year."

Khan vs Marquez on May 15, the Judah, Mayweather

According to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan may defend his title against Juan Manuel Marquez on May 15 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Khan recently signed a promotional deal with Golden Boy. BoxingScene.com broke the news weeks ago regarding a deal on the table for a Marquez-Khan fight. Marquez gets his shot to make history by attempting to become the first Mexican fighter to win four world titles in four weight divisions.

"Amir really wants a big fight in the US so the Marquez fight will most probably be in Las Vegas," Schaefer told The Sun.

If Khan manages to beat Marquez, Schaefer says a possible fight with Zab Judah would be a the next move, and then a super-fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Miranda, Brinkley at the top for Lucian Bute duel

BoxingScene.com has been advised by numerous sources that super middleweights Edison Miranda and Jesse Brinkley are the two names being mentioned as the frontrunners to fight IBF champion Lucian Bute on April 17 on HBO. Bute's title defense, in Canada, will be a split-feed show with Kelly Pavlik defending his middleweight titles in the main event from the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

Cotto vs. Foreman may be finalized soon

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum plans to speak with Miguel Cotto this week to possibly finalize a fight with unbeaten WBA junior middleweight champion Yuri Foreman for June 12 in Madison Square Garden in New York. Arum plans to resume the negotiations once he returns from Mexico, where he plans to continue promoting the March 13 Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey pay-per-view.

Bute vs. Miranda is the favorite for April 17 on HBO

BoxingScene.com has been advised by numerous sources that undefeated IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute is likely going to defend his title against dangerous puncher Edison Miranda on April 17 on HBO. Both Miranda and Jesse Brinkley were in the running for the fight. HBO, for their own reasons, were not very receptive to Brinkley fighting Bute. They have far more interest in Bute-Miranda.

The fight will take place in Canada. HBO plans to package the fight in a split-feed format with Kelly Pavlik's defense of the WBO/WBO middleweight titles at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. Top Rank and Lou DiBella are still trying to reach a deal on Pavlik vs. Sergio Martinez for the main event.

Mayweather has yet to sign, Shaefer getting frustrated

WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley has already signed his portion of the contract for a May 1 title defense against Floyd Mayweather Jr. The terms have been agreed upon. Mosley signed last Friday. Everyone involved is waiting on Mayweather to sign his portion of the deal.

For reasons unknown, Mayweather has yet to sign the contract. Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, is frustrated because until they receive a signed contact from Mayweather, they are unable to move forward with any fight related promotion for the event. Schaefer doesn't know what's going on.

"He still hasn't signed. I am so frustrated," Schaefer said to ESPN.com. "I wanted both guys to go down to the Super Bowl in Miami to do some promotional stuff. I don't know what Floyd is waiting for. I have no clue. I have a signed contract from Shane on my desk. I have nothing from Floyd."

"I always tell you, a signed deal is a done deal. It will only be done when Floyd signs, and that hasn't happened yet. I don't know of any deal terms that are not agreed to. I don't understand it."

Amir Khan, Paulie Malignaggi trade insults, tempers rip

In the new age of communication, you can expect this to happen more often. A few months ago welterweight champions Shane Mosley and Andre Berto traded words on Twitter. Now it appears WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan and potential future opponent Paulie Malignaggi have begun to trade some words on the social tool. Malignaggi's name has been mentioned as a potential opponent for Khan. He was the first choice when Golden Boy Promotions signed Khan a few weeks ago.

The two sides could not reach a deal and Golden Boy turned their attention to matching Khan against Juan Manuel Marquez in May. Malignaggi may fight WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto on April 10 in NY.

Malignaggi has been ripping shots at Khan, claiming the Brit is avoiding his WBA mandatory Marcos Maidana and being matched in "safe" fights.

A collection of edited snips from the back and forth exchanges. It wasn't pretty.

"Ask Oscar [De La Hoya] and Richard [Schaefer] why we're not fighting each other. Him and Freddie Roach refused! So we moved on and got bigger and better [things]. We've got bigger fish to fry than Amir Con on April 10. If Amir Khan wants it, then he knows our number. We called him out numerous times," Malignaggi said.

"We know more about Amir Con's career than [he] does! Kid's a bust. Khan doesn't want it. He knows who is the man."

Khan fired back with some words of his own. He taunted Malignaggi to throw down in New York City.

"How is Golden Boy protecting me? Maidana is not a big paid fight, Marquez is - plus he is a tougher fight. Marquez is a bigger test than Paulie. I want to fight Marquez because Paulie won't agree. I will call Golden Boy now and tell them I [want] to fight you," Khan said.

"Look guys no joke here, I never trash talk, but the fight against Malignaggi - they have refused. Read the press on net. No point in talking big. I will come to Paulie's city to defeat him and put up the WBA title on May 15th. I have an HBO date. Let's get it on? Don't p**sy out. I will tell Golden Boy to call Lou DiBella."

Timothy Bradley's promoter: "Amir Khan is a fraud!"

A few weeks ago, [Gary] Shaw was negotiating with Khan’s former promoter Frank Warren to match the British champion against unbeaten WBO title holder Timothy Bradley. The two promoters were close to a deal, but it quickly went down the toilet when Khan signed a contract with Golden Boy Promotions. Shaw was turned down when he reached out to Golden Boy to make a Khan-Bradley fight.

“This morning I read with interest the story on BoxingScene about Malignaggi and Amir Khan going at it. I must tell you that factually Malignaggi is telling the truth as I tried to make a fight with Amir Khan and Tim Bradley and Golden Boy said ‘absolutely no chance,’ ‘no way’ - and I believe that’s the reason why Amir Khan refuses to fight [Marcos] Maidana – he’s scared,” Shaw said to BoxingScene.

“He’s scared of Maidana. He’s scared of Tim Bradley. What champion do you know is willing to give up his title to fight someone else with no title? And I believe Amir Khan is a fraud. And I’ll believe it until he accepts the challenge to fight Tim Bradley. Until that happens I will continue to say he’s a fraud. We’ll even go back to England to fight him so he feels comfortable, warm and fuzzy in his own country,” Shaw said.

Where is Floyd's signature?

Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, is usually a calm, cool and collected sort. The former Swiss banker doesn't get rattled easily.

Tuesday morning, however, he sounded rattled, expressing concern about why Floyd Mayweather Jr. has not signed his contract to face welterweight champ Shane Mosley on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, in as big of a fight as there is in the sport.

"Same old story"

When is a boxer really, truly retired? When he’s 6 feet underground. And even then, you tend to have your doubts.

Erik Morales had been out of the sport for about 2½ years, halfway to eligibility for the International Boxing Hall of Fame, when the news broke on Jan. 24 that he’ll be returning to the ring in March. The natural reaction to this news from most fight fans was a slumping of the shoulders, followed by a heavy sigh. Another one who doesn’t know when enough is enough, we all thought. Then we saw the photos of Morales making his announcement at the press conference, not looking appreciably thinner than Roberto Duran does nowadays, and the reaction turned from sadness to all-out horror.

Morales is just the latest in a never-ending line of once-great fighters soldiering on against all logic. And at 33, he’s one of the younger ones. Evander Holyfield is 47 and has been in the headlines the past few weeks while his proposed fight with Frans Botha tries to find a home. Roy Jones got wiped out in 122 seconds in December by fringe contender Danny Green, but at 41 he’s fighting on. He faces Bernard Hopkins in April. Going beyond the scope of future Hall of Famers, Riddick Bowe is a badly damaged 42 and still talking about another comeback, 36-year-old Lamon Brewster took a beating from relative novice Robert Helenius in Germany last weekend and, two weekends ago, four-time title challenger John Brown, 41, ran his record in his last 12 bouts to 1-9-2 with an eight-round points loss.

Photos: Pacquiao vs. Clottey promo tour hits Mexico

Floyd Mayweather signs contract to fight Shane Mosley

The deal is done. Floyd Mayweather Jr. has signed a contract to fight Shane Mosley on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Mosley were getting frustrated because Mayweather took several days before he signed his bout agreement. Mosley signed his contract for the fight last Friday.

Mosley's attorney, Judd Burstein, told Lem Satterfield of FanHouse, that Mayweather signed the contract. Burstein was advised of the information by Schaefer.

"Richard Schaefer just called me and told me that [Mayweather's adviser] Al Haymon called him, and it's [the bout agreement] is being faxed," said Burstein.

"I'm ecstatic. Shane and I have been together for seven years, and I love him as a client, and he's going to show the world how great that he is," said Burstein. "A lot of credit goes to Richard Schaefer. We work together beautifully. And Al Haymon has proven that my assessment of him as a real, straight shooter and a good guy are correct. He came through."

Carl Froch bends, agrees to fight Kessler in Herning

The venue battle is over, WBC champion Carl Froch has agreed to face Mikkel Kessler in Herning, Denmark on April 17. For the last few weeks there was an ongoing dispute over the venue. Froch wanted the fight to take place in Copenhagan because the location would be easier, in terms of travel, for his Nottingham fans. After going back and forth with Sauerland Event, Froch agreed to face Kessler in Herning.

"A ring is a ring to me, no matter where myself and Mikkel fight, the outcome will be the same. But my stance on the venue location was nothing to do with ego, or to create aggro for Sauerland – as he is a decent guy - it was to assist my fans to get over to Denmark to support me," Froch told livefight.com.

Lucian Bute: "I am taking Edison Miranda seriously"

Confirming BoxingScene.com's news story from Tuesday, Lucian Bute (25-0, 20KOs) told reporters he will defend his IBF super middleweight title against Edison Miranda (33-4, 29KOs) on April 17 on HBO. The fight will take place in Montreal, Canada. Bute-Miranda will be the co-feature with middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik's title defense going on top as the televised main event of HBO's split-feed show. Pavlik's possible opponent is Sergio Martinez.

Samuel Peter files lawsuit against Don King, Dino Duva

Former World Boxing Council heavyweight titlist Samuel “The Nigerian Nightmare” Peter has filed a lawsuit in Clark County District Court in Nevada against former promoters Don King and Dino Duva.

Peter claims he is still owed more than $400,000 for his Oct. 2008 bout vs. Vitali Klitschko which took place in Berlin, Germany. Peter was the holder of the WBC belt at the time and his contracted purse was $4 million.

Peter alleges that King and Duva have withheld monies owed to him and he is suing for punitive damages in excess of $1 million. The lawsuit alleges that both Duva and King conspired to steal, commit fraud, misrepresented their intentions and were in breach of contract.

Donaire's hit list: Darchinyan, Montiel, Vazquez, Arce

Manager Cameron Dunkin spoke to the media before Nonito Donaire's Wednesday media workout in Las Vegas. Donaire fights on February 13th on the Pinoy Power 3 pay-per-view in Las Vegas. He said that Donaire has a hit list that includes Jorge Arce, Fernando Montiel and a rematch with Vic Darchinyan. After that they are looking at moving up to 122 for Israel Vazquez.

"Izzy called Donaire out. We would be happy to make that fight happen after we take care of business at 115 and 118," said Duncan.

Donaire's manager went on to say that Nonito even asked about Steven Luevano and Juan Manuel Lopez at 126 down the road.

Roach: Amir Khan will do a Barrera job on Marquez

Trainer Freddie Roach says WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan will bust up Juan Manuel Marquez in the same fashion as he did Marco Antonio Barrera last year. Khan is close to a deal to fight Marquez on May 15 in Las Vegas. Roach told Gareth Davies of The Telegraph that Khan will break Marquez up.

“This is the right fight at the right time for Amir. Yes, Marquez is dangerous, but Amir will do to him what he did to Marco Antonio Barrera in Manchester last year. He’ll break him up,” Roach said.

Mayweather, Mosley confident of victory on May 1

LAS VEGAS - It's official. Boxing's biggest superstar and six-time world champion Floyd "Money" Mayweather made his upcoming fight with welterweight mega-star and five-time world champion Sugar Shane Mosley, official today when he signed the contract that pits the two fighters against each other on Saturday, May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in a mega-bout which will be televised live on HBO Pay-Per-View®.

"This one is definitely for the fans as I wasn't going to waste anyone's time with a meaningless tune-up bout and asked to fight Shane immediately," said Mayweather. "I have said ever since I came back to the sport that I only wanted to fight the best. I think Shane is one of the best, but come May 1, he still won't be great enough to beat me."

"I have always wanted to fight Floyd and now it is finally coming true," said Mosley, who signed his side of the deal last Friday in Las Vegas. "I am already in great shape and ready to show everyone on May 1 that I am stronger, faster and better than he is. I will have no problem beating him."

In addition to the fight being one of the most competitive and talked about contests in each of the fighters' careers, Mayweather and Mosley have agreed to Olympic-style drug testing for the fight.

Legend Emile Griffith talks boxing, Pacquiao, history, more

“I remember Benvenuti. I fought with Nino. We beat each other so much but we became such friends. We became friends for life.”

- Emile Griffith

Emile Griffith was sat on the veranda of his biographer, Ron Ross’s, house in Long Island. The former fighter looked out across the water as random memories from his distinguished career washed up like arbitrary debris on the sands of his mind.
Emile Griffith's career record

Pacquiao talks steroids, Mayweather

Fear is one emotion that can be detected in someone's eyes. Honesty is another, and the look in Manny Pacquiao's eyes in his dressing room Tuesday at his training camp in Hollywood makes his claim of being drug-free very believable.

Pacquiao, sitting next to one reporter while another stood in front of him, was asked how much the insinuations of alleged steroid use hurt him in his heart.

"I feel bad," said Pacquiao, who is training at the Wild Card gym owned by his trainer, Freddie Roach, for his March 13 fight against Joshua Clottey at Cowboys Stadium. "I'm really disappointed because I sacrifice and train hard and focus for what I have achieved in boxing.

"I mean, going for the allegations that I'm taking steroids. I don't even know what a steroid is. I don't have any idea what that is."

Mosley: "Mayweather wouldn't fight the guys who beat me"

WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley is going wild with the news that Floyd Mayweather Jr. signed a contract to fight him on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Mosley never thought the day would come, but now it's finally here. For the last ten years there has been a lot of trash talking between the fighters. During most of the last two years, Mayweather often brought up Mosley's five career defeats. Mayweather always boasted about his own undefeated record. Mosley told Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports that Mayweather wouldn't fight the guys who beat him - like Miguel Cotto, Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright.

“I lost to guys he wouldn’t fight,” Mosley said. “The bottom line is, I’m the best fighter in the world. I know that. I believe I’ve proven that. But this is a great fight, a big fight against a guy who is very talented. When I get my chance, I’ll show you who deserves to be the best in the world.”

Like he did with Manny Pacquiao, Mayweather made a demand for random drug tests. Mosley agreed to Mayweather's terms, telling Iole that he doesn't care how often they test him.

“They can test me every day, twice a day, if they want,” Mosley said. “I’m a clean athlete and I’ve been a clean athlete. I’m willing to do this for every fight I have for the rest of my career. I want it so you guys (in the media) know, so the public knows, so everybody knows. I’m clean, I’ve been clean and I have nothing to hide.”

Ricky Hatton dumps Lee Beard, wants new trainer

According to Daily Mail, former two division champion Ricky Hatton has split from trainer Lee Beard, who worked the corner of the Manchester star for the last three years. Beard was the assist to Hatton former longtime trainer Billy Graham. He worked with Floyd Mayweather Sr. too. Beard was going to train Hatton for his June return. The paper reports that Hatton was angry with Beard for flying out to America to train Joan Guzman. The paper claims Beard left in the middle of training younger brother Matthew Hatton for a February 19 bout. It also left Ricky without a trainer. The man who may take over for Beard is Bob Shannon, who trains several fighters under Hatton's promotional company.

Ruiz is a bum and washed up. WTH he's still fighting for?.

He's the mandatory challenger for David Haye's title

Roach: "Pacquiao will fight Mayweather/Mosley winner

Trainer Freddie Roach says Manny Pacquiao, should he beat Joshua Clottey on March 13, will be more than happy to fight the winner of May's mega-bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Shane Mosley. Roach sees the winner of Mayweather-Mosley as the best candidate for Pacquiao's next fight. Roach told BoxingScene.com that Mayweather should win the fight but it's going to be very tough for him.

"I like Shane. He's a good guy but I think Mayweather will outbox him. I think Mayweather will win that fight but it's a very competitive, good fight and I would like to see that fight," Roach told BoxingScene.

If Mayweather wins, Roach says a fight with Pacquiao will only happen under the rules of the governing commission. They will not agree to Mayweather's demand for unrestricted random drug testing. Pacquiao did tell BoxingScene's Robert Morales that he would consider taking random drug tests if the contract called for the random tests to stop 30-days prior to the fight. Pacquiao would also take a blood test immediately after the fight was over.

Team Hatton statement on parting with Lee Beard

As reported on Wednesday, Ricky Hatton has dropped trainer Lee Beard from his corner. There appears to be some tension over Beard leaving during Matthew Hatton's training camp to take a trip to America to train Joan Guzman. Bob Shannon, who trains several of the fighters under Hatton Promotions, will finish the camp and work the corner of Matthew for his February 19 fight with Mikheil Khucishvili. Ricky returns in June and Shannon is the favorite to train him but another trainer coming in is possible. Beard has been in Ricky's corner for the last three years.

"Lee has strong family connections in America and we fully understand his wish to move out there," said a Team Hatton statement. "As far as Ricky is concerned he has not made any decision as to who will be replacing Floyd Mayweather senior as his trainer and he will address this issue on his return from holiday.

"Lee Beard has taken up a training appointment in America and will no longer be connected with Hatton Promotions Ltd, Ricky Hatton or Matthew Hatton. In the meantime Ricky, Matthew and everyone in the Hatton Camp wish Lee every success for the future."

WBA only appointed one judge for Shumenov-Campillo

The World Boxing Association made an official statement regarding the controversy between the light heavyweight fight between Beibut Shumenov and Gabriel Campillo, which was held on January 29 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"Any dispute should be analyzed with great discretion. Boxing is a subjective sport and therefore we are making efforts to train our judges under a standard criteria, "said Gilberto Jesus Mendoza, vice president of WBA.

The fight was won by Shumenov, by split decision, in which the judges gave the following scores - Patricia Jarman 117-111 and Jerry Roth 115-113 in favor of Sumenov. While, Campillo was favored by Levi Martinez 117-111. The WBA only approved one of the three judges, and that judge was Martinez who scored the fight for Campillo.

Arthur Abraham vs. Sven Ottke: Sparring for Dirrell

BERLIN — Two undefeated champions battled it out in the Max-Schmeling-Gym on Wednesday afternoon when King Arthur Abraham welcomed a special sparring partner. In order to prepare for the Super Six World Boxing Classic Group Stage 2 meeting with Andre Dirrell on March 6 (live on SHOWTIME® at 9 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the west coast), coach Ulli Wegner had invited former WBA/IBF Super-Middleweight Champion Sven Ottke to challenge Abraham. The “Phantom”, who retired undefeated in 2004, is known for his fast legs and special movements. “Sven can help Arthur in the preparation for Dirrell,” Wegner said. “Arthur will have to track Dirrell down. That´s why sparring with a fast, smart and clever fighter like Sven certainly helps.”

King Arthur has a special relationship with the famous German boxing idol. “I started my career at Team Sauerland with a sparring session against him,” he recalls. “Ulli Wegner liked what he saw and brought me back. The rest, as they say, is history.”

Will fans see the best version of Valero on Saturday?

Edwin Valero, the underground KO king of YouTube.com legend, will fight on U.S. television without a pay-per-view fee for the first time on Saturday in Monterrey, Mexico.

Valero (26-0, 26 knockouts), THE RING’s No. 1-rated lightweight, defends his lightweight title belt against contender Antonio DeMarco (23-1-1, 17 KOs) on Showtime.

Prior to Saturday’s fight, Valero had two bouts that were broadcast in the U.S. -- his third-round stoppage of Zaid Zavaleta in December of 2007 and his second-round KO of Antonio Pitalua last April -- but both fights headlined small pay-per-view shows that only attracted hardcore fans.

The DeMarco fight, which headlines Showtime’s primetime Championship Boxing series (9 p.m. ET/PT), will reach a considerably larger audience.

James Kirkland: Return is possible in August

The year is still young but the wheels are already rolling for the tentative return of junior middleweight contender James Kirkland. BoxingScene.com was advised by Kirkland's co-manager and personal attorney, Michael Miller, that an August return is very possible. Last September during a federal hearing in Texas, Kirkland was sentenced to a 24 month prison term for illegally purchasing a firearm during the month of April. At the time of the arrest, Kirkland was still on probation for a 2003 armed robbery offense, which prohibits him from purchasing and/or possessing firearms.

When Kirkland was hit with the 24-month sentence, the court shaved off 6 months for time already served. Under the federal guidelines, he was able to shave off an additional 100 days for good behavior.

On June 28, Kirkland will get transfered to a half-way house to finish the remaining six months of the sentence. Kirkland will be allowed to leave the half-way house from 7am to 7pm to train. With prior notice given, Kirkland can leave the half-way house to fight - and that includes taking a fight outisde of Texas.

HBO protecting Amir Khan?

[Gary] Shaw made a very good financial offer to Golden Boy for a fight between Maidana and WBC champion Timothy Bradley and they turned it down. He found the entire situation strange because there was good money involved, and a major title, but his curiosity was really poked when he began to hear some very strange rumors throughout the day.

From what Shaw had heard from several friends in the industry, there is a very interesting contract clause connected to the [Marcos] Maidana- [Victor] Cayo fight. What is the clause you ask? Basically the winner has to stay away from WBA 140-pound champion Amir Khan for a period of twelve months or three fights - whichever comes first.