• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Best *current* dramatic show on American TV

Best *current* dramatic show on American TV

• Total voters

jinxypie

Official Checked Star Member
Honestly,as much as I love Breaking Bad,Boss is just a better written show.

I have never heard of Boss until this thread... someone tell me about it?

Nathan Fillion ftw.

Hell yes!!! I can't wait for Monday night. :D

Downton Abbey, Luther or Copper? :confused:

We watched an episode of Copper... interesting, for sure.
I couldn't stand watching Downton Abbey though.
:shy:

Briana Lee

I went with The Walking Dead, but Hell On Wheels is a really close second. I'm probably the only person on Earth whose never seen Breaking bad. It's on my Netflix Instant list, but I gotta finish Tudors first.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Downton Abbey.
Who is Luther or Copper? :confused:

They're both shows that come on BBC America here. Luther stars Idris Elba (from The Wire) and Copper is set in the Five Points area of New York City during the latter stages of the Civil War. It's mostly about this Irish cop (a "copper" back then, I guess) who makes his way through the upper and lower classes of that era trying to find out what happened to his missing wife while he was away fighting in the Civil War. Both are crime dramas that focus on troubled detectives and both are good dramatic shows. Check them out. I think you'd probably enjoy them.

It's a political drama that comes on Starz on Friday nights. I'm trying to think what I can compare it to. How about Rome mixed with The Wire mixed with the Sopranos? :D Seeing Kelsey Grammer play a totally corrupt, megalomaniacal mayor of Chicago is such a departure from all the years that he played Frasier that I was hesitant to even watch the pilot. Now I'm really glad that I did. It's a seriously great show with amazing writing and plot twists. It focuses on Tom Kane (the mayor), but it also features a LOT of stories about the other characters... who are all played by some very good actors and actresses. The girl (Hannah Ware) who plays his daughter, Emma, is actually British, but I've only been able to pick up her accent once or twice because now I'm listening for it - otherwise you'd never know. If you don't get Starz, I *think* Boss is coming on Netflix, Amazon and maybe iTunes now or pretty soon.

If you check it out, let me know what you think.

We watched an episode of Copper... interesting, for sure.
I couldn't stand watching Downton Abbey though.
:shy:

I'm trying to get more into Copper. I like it, but I think it's still developing. Hell on Wheels did that from last season forward and now I'm really into Season 2.

As for Downton Abbey, I typically hate soap operas. So I'm not sure how I got so hooked on that show. I think it's the time period (1912 or so to the early 20's) that fascinates me. My grandfather would have been a kid then (though in the U.S.) and that's a period that I don't know very much about. The class distinctions and how people in British society accepted their "social place" also fascinates me. As an American who rejects notions of aristocracy and the monarchy, I feel like I'm getting a glimpse into a time when there were people who thought that was the only and best way to live. I really liked Season 1, but Season 2 was pure soap opera; too many contrived twists & turns. It was more like Days of Our Lives or Edge of Night type stuff - not my cup of tea.

But with all that said, let's not pretend that if you wore a Lady Sybil type dress to a costume ball that you wouldn't cause the music to stop when you walked in. Go ahead and admit it! :drool2: ;) :D

I can honestly say I have never seen a single minute of any of the shows listed. Sorry, I just don't have the television on much.

However, I have had Downton Abbey recommended by a lot of people whose opinion I respect. I've also heard that Breaking Bad is hard to watch because of the kind of glorified misogyny - not that it isn't politically correct, just that it is uncomfortable to acknowledge that used to be the norm.

Thoughts?

I can honestly say I have never seen a single minute of any of the shows listed. Sorry, I just don't have the television on much.

However, I have had Downton Abbey recommended by a lot of people whose opinion I respect. I've also heard that Breaking Bad is hard to watch because of the kind of glorified misogyny - not that it isn't politically correct, just that it is uncomfortable to acknowledge that used to be the norm.

Thoughts?

Glorified misogyny? Don't know where anyone came up with that.Sounds like you are getting some bad info,unless someone can convince me otherwise.Maybe they had it mixed up with Sons Of Anarchy.

Breaking Bad is a good show,and definitely one of the best on TV.If you like good drama,then you really can't go wrong with this show.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Glorified misogyny? Don't know where anyone came up with that.Sounds like you are getting some bad info,unless someone can convince me otherwise.Maybe they had it mixed up with Sons Of Anarchy.

Breaking Bad is a good show,and definitely one of the best on TV.If you like good drama,then you really can't go wrong with this show.

Yeah, I'm a little lost on any sort of "glorified misogyny" in Breaking Bad too. The only social criticism I've heard relating to that show is the obvious: the "heroes" are meth producers and dealers... and murderers. Oh, and the fact that Walt's brother-in-law, Hank, tends to use racist terms when speaking about Hispanics. Even though some of their adventures require a certain suspension of disbelief, most of the characters (male and female) are written in a pretty realistic and believable way.

It is seriously good. And unlike a lot of shows where there are lots of twists & turns, the writing on this show doesn't seem contrived. Even the biggest surprise makes sense once they have it all laid out.

I've also heard that Breaking Bad is hard to watch because of the kind of glorified misogyny - not that it isn't politically correct, just that it is uncomfortable to acknowledge that used to be the norm.

Thoughts?

Whoever said that either doesnt know what misogyny means, has never seen Breaking Bad or is talking about another show.

It's very much like a Shakespeare tragedy set in current day Chicago Ill. Everyone's corrupt, dishonest and cheating on their spouse, and the Major is trying to deal with the onset of a Delusional disorder.

C.K. Lawrence

Closed Account
More of a detective drama, still a drama none-the-less.... Criminal Minds. I missed most of the early stuff but I've been catching up on it recently. Great show, maybe I should start watching t.v. again with shows like this on the air, or looked harder for good programs.

Alyssa Rose

I'm watching Breaking Bad now on Netflix and its amazing, however I'm a diehard Dexter fan all the way! I just love dexter :)

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
Whoever said that either doesnt know what misogyny means, has never seen Breaking Bad or is talking about another show.
I can see how it can evoke misogyny. I just don't sympathize with any of the female characters, they're all terrible.

Jane: manipulative junkie
skylar: shrewd & cold
marie: chatty cathy. Won't shut up. (I felt bad for her when Hank was treating her like crap during his rehabilitation though)
wendy the crack ho: nuff said
Walt's female coworker (principal?): Sends mixed signals.

Jesse's other gf with the kid was alright but we didn't see much of her.

Alyssa Rose

I would also like to add that I absolutely hate Skyler (Walt's wife) on breaking bad. She is so whiny and obnoxious and I wish she would be Rita'd(referencing dexters Rita lol)

Mayhem

Banned
[Off Topic]
Does anybody besides me think that Rescue Me was a gigantic, multi-season suckfest and resent the hours wasted on that piece-of-shit, waste-of-time show?

[/Off Topc]

loving breaking bad just now