• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Avengers vs Xmen ***SPOILERS***

Re: Avengers vs Xmen ─ ***SPOILERS***

I've got 5000 comics in mylar bags and cardboard boxes for fear of damage, take up too much space in my home, are hard to get in and out of to get what you want, and can't be transported easily.

I also have 30,000 digital comics, all on my laptop hard drive. I can just as easily access Amazing Spider-Man #22 as I can access the latest released editions. They take up no space, I can carry all 30,000 wherever I go, and I can reread them as much as I want without fear of damage. What's not to like!

I always viewed good comics as a piece of artwork along with the plot and characters in it. I don't know. It just seems like it's less of that if I just view it on a screen in a way a normal book that just had words in it wouldn't be. :dunno:

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND

I've got 5000 comics in mylar bags and cardboard boxes for fear of damage, take up too much space in my home, are hard to get in and out of to get what you want, and can't be transported easily.

I also have 30,000 digital comics, all on my laptop hard drive. I can just as easily access Amazing Spider-Man #22 as I can access the latest released editions. They take up no space, I can carry all 30,000 wherever I go, and I can reread them as much as I want without fear of damage. What's not to like!

I see that someone likes his comics.

Aces&Jacks

Retired Mod

I always viewed good comics as a piece of artwork along with the plot and characters in it. I don't know. It just seems like it's less of that if I just view it on a screen in a way a normal book that just had words in it wouldn't be. :dunno:

I'm quite the opposite of that. For me comics must tell a good story first and foremost, and that story is enhanced by the art.

With that said, the art in comics is easily and quite effectively, transferred to a screen because it's, for lack of a better word, cartoonish. It's not high resolution like a photograph, where you might lose quality because of the drop in resolution. It's not painting-like or sketch-like where texture plays a small but integral part of the beauty of the art. No matter who pencils it, Frank Miller, Jack Kirby, or any great artist out there, the art will look almost exactly the same on the screen as it does in the book (if properly scanned).

If you collect for the love of collecting, then without a doubt having a hard copy is the only way to go. But if you just want to read some good stories and enjoy the art at the same time, you can easily do that with digital comics.

Aces&Jacks

Retired Mod
Re: Avengers vs Xmen  ***SPOILERS***

Avengers vs. X-Men 03 (of 12)

The X-Men fake surrendering to the Avengers and escape. Everyone is searching for Hope. Marvel Girl (Rachel Summers) is acting as a double agent, feeding false information to the Avengers for the X-Men. Captain America wants Wolverine to stay out of the current situation with the X-Men. He and Wolverine battle on a quinjet and Captain America, with the help of Giant-Man, kicks Wolverine off the quinjet somewhere over the Arctic.

Attachments

• AvsX03.jpg
    AvsX03.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 52

it always amazed me how many people never knew that Wolverine was originally a Hulk villain.

i blame the big bang theory.

that should be common knowledge.

The Hulk would annihilate the X-Men by himself. Throw in Thor and its a joke fight.

^that.

the hulk is tougher than apocalypse?

apocalypse is an x-man?

i am so with you. having milestone issues, golden or silver age or epic stories is one thing, but how many issues that are just taking up space do you need?

i havent gone digital yet, but its gotten to the point i just wait for trades to come out.

I'm quite the opposite of that. For me comics must tell a good story first and foremost, and that story is enhanced by the art.

With that said, the art in comics is easily and quite effectively, transferred to a screen because it's, for lack of a better word, cartoonish. It's not high resolution like a photograph, where you might lose quality because of the drop in resolution. It's not painting-like or sketch-like where texture plays a small but integral part of the beauty of the art. No matter who pencils it, Frank Miller, Jack Kirby, or any great artist out there, the art will look almost exactly the same on the screen as it does in the book (if properly scanned).

If you collect for the love of collecting, then without a doubt having a hard copy is the only way to go. But if you just want to read some good stories and enjoy the art at the same time, you can easily do that with digital comics.

For me it's like the difference is like having a print of a painting you like on the wall and the real thing. In some ways the print just can never be like having the original, and it just doesn't even look the same.

...Plus, there is other things I don't like about digital copies of things like that. Chief among them is that I like actually owning what I have. I want to be able to let people borrow it, to give it away, to sell it if I want. I don't rent books I want to have perpetually and the thought of what is essentially renting books irks me. I like knowing the book I have is mine and not some publishers that they only let me see for giving them money. Until they institute a reasonable Right of First Sale for electronic copies like that I won't be happy with them. Now if they want to give an electronic copy away along with the real thing I might except something like that, maybe.

Plus,...I also like the fact if some electronic apocalypse happens I can still have my books, not to mention other more common occurrences that might happen. Sure I can also lose a physical copy in a house fire or something, but those are a lot more rare than say a computer crash, and I don't want to have to rely on a publisher being around in the future or their servers being up so I can reload my digital copy if I lose it.

Aces&Jacks

Retired Mod

I don't rent books I want to have perpetually and the thought of what is essentially renting books irks me.
I can see your point if you are one if the ones that get their comics through Comixology or Marvel's/DC's online shop. But every digital comic I have I actually have the files (cbr/cbz format), which are essentially a series of scanned images in a compressed format (rar or zip), and I view them with one of many comic book readers that are free to download. I don't get my books from any of those online services.
but those are a lot more rare than say a computer crash, and I don't want to have to rely on a publisher being around in the future or their servers being up so I can reload my digital copy if I lose it.
Since I don't use one of the online services, my response to this is a simply backup your files. All my digital comics are also saved to an external hard drive and dvd's. If the hard drive crashes, I'm covered. There is no one who I need to go to to retrieve files. Backing up is standard for any important data you don't want to lose.

Aces&Jacks

Retired Mod
Wolverine and the X-Men 10

After having recently escaped from the clutches of the Avengers, Cyclops goes to Wolverine's school to ask Wolverine to choose whose side he is really on. Wolverine chooses the Avengers. Cyclops has other motives to be there and that is to recruit other mutants to his cause. The Death Commandos arrive on Earth.

Attachments

• Wolverine1.jpg
    Wolverine1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Wolverine2.jpg
    Wolverine2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 47

Aces&Jacks

Retired Mod
X-Men Legacy 266 (Tie-In)

Falcon, She-Hulk and Moon Knight go to Wolverine's school to insure that no one else from the school enters into the conflict between the Avengers and the X-Men. They agree that the Avengers should stay at least 100 yards away from the school so as not to upset the students. Frenzy takes it upon herself to antagonize the Avengers and a fight ensues. A couple of students attack and she-Hulk, not knowing they were students, deals with them harshly. This draws Rogue, who has held her own against the Avengers before, into the fight and an all-out battle begins. Falcon calls in for back-up and Iron Man arrives. ***This is the best issue of any of the titles I've read so far.

Attachments

• X-MenLegacy266.jpg
    X-MenLegacy266.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 39