• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Are You Mathematically Challenged?

40+40x0+1=

40 + 40 = 80

80 x 0 = 0 (any number x 0 = 0)

0 + 1 = 1

i'd like to see someone prove me wrong on this, with legit proof, dont just call me stoopid

i even did it on a calculator and the answer was 1 (how can a calculator be wrong)

FreeOnes_Anders

Closed Account
The order of operation in mathematics are as follows:

Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

Now try it...

Click here if you want a site for it.

Didnt call you stoopid, and I´d say thats "legit proof".

Last edited:
Ok - back to the original one then...

We Dutch have a little sentence that can be memorized for mathematical operator priorities:

Meneer Van Dalen Wacht Op Antwoord

M = Machtsverheffen (Exponentiation)
V = Vermenigvuldigen (Multiplication)
D = Delen (Division)
W = Worteltrekken (to extract a square root)
O = Optellen (Addition)
A = Aftrekken (Substraction)

So basically the mathematical equation 40 + 40 x 0 + 1 becomes (using parenthesis to show priority):

(40 x 0) + 40 + 1 => 0 + 40 + 1 = 41

And I agree that the calculator of Windows does it wrong, when you use the 'default' or normal setting. Then it answer 0. But if you choose to view the scientific version or the programmers version, entering 40 + 40 * 0 + 1 gives the correct result (which is 41).

Conclusion: the 'default' and standard calculator view of calc (blame Microsoft) is totally wrong. Or rather lazy as it calculates the moment you enter an operator instead of waiting for the whole equation to be entered.

Last edited:
As a bonus, the solution of the sequence I gave.
It's the 'look-and-say' sequence.

Start with any number, like 1.
You say: one 1, which is 11
Then you say: two 1s, which becomes 21
Then you say, one 2, one 1, which becomes 1211
Announcing: one 1, one 2, two 1s -> 111221
and so on and so forth...

Technique is used in run-length-encoding (zip, rar, png, jpg and so on) to decrease size of data.

/nerdrant off :drool2:

Punch that equation as it reads into a calculator and you'll get the wrong answer. :facepalm: I'll have fries with that, please. ;) You have to learn how to read the equation before you can figure it out with a calculator, son. And everybody learned this stuff in grade school, btw!

That depends, there are scientific calculators now that calculate in the right order. :tongue:

Although doing mathematical problems without knowing what they mean and how to apply them to things that need to be done is useless.

40+40x0+1=

40 + 40 = 80

0 + 1 = 1

i'd like to see someone prove me wrong on this, with legit proof, dont just call me stoopid

i even did it on a calculator and the answer was 1 (how can a calculator be wrong)

Are you serious? Did you go to school? Ever in your life? It's a disgrace that people don't know how to do basic math.

I'm seriously upset right now.

40+40x0+1=

40 + 40 = 80

0 + 1 = 1

40+40X0+1=41

you have to do the complex math first. so 40X0 = 0, which leaves us with 40+0+1

Basic math skills are going the same way as basic English skills. It makes me pretty upset, too.

Funny story.

A guy I work with was recently promoted into marketing, a position a few of us applied for. When I didn't get the job, I figured they just hired the more qualified person...until I saw his thank you letter in our monthly newsletter. Worst grammar I've ever seen from a "professional" :facepalm: It was a good 200 words with no period, no to mention all the spelling mistakes.

Rage.

Funny story.

A guy I work with was recently promoted into marketing, a position a few of us applied for. When I didn't get the job, I figured they just hired the more qualified person...until I saw his thank you letter in our monthly newsletter. Worst grammar I've ever seen from a "professional" :facepalm: It was a good 200 words with no period, no to mention all the spelling mistakes.

Rage.

I can take care of him for you, if you'd like the job to be open again.

What the hell? Do you have any inkling why they chose him? Is he spooge swallowing to get ahead?