• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

any horror movie fans here ?

J. Friday

Banned
:thumbsup:
Absolutely great movie. I still have a problem with putting it into the category "horror" though. There are so many elements that have nothing to do with "horror". But I can see why someone would argue that it could be a horror movie or horror thriller.

It really sucks, that the original US release of The Descent didn't have the ending with her having hallucinated. I mean, what does this say about the average American viewer, when the distributor thinks he/she can't handle it (intellectually, emotionally or otherwise)? And what does it say about the American movie industry or American distributors, when they don't want to show the average American viewer something that is crucial to the ending of a movie because it is considered not fitting the way America viewers are "conditioned"?
Am I the only one who thinks that's kinda sad...

I just bought P2 (for 8 Euros, couldn't resist at such a price). I've seen this movie last year and thought it was really good. I was astounded by how good it worked, for being low budget, having so few actors, a very restricted set and a really old school storyline.
Well with the names Aja and Levasseur connected to it, it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise. After High Tension I'd watch everything they have a part in. Even though I was a little bit disappointed by Mirrors. A good movie, but definitely not the best work these two have done.

It's a good point that you make about American movie-goers. Many times Americans will blame Hollywood for "cramming" false ideas into our heads but in many cases Hollywood does it because it knows we wouldn't approve. For example, those old fashioned westerns, where the noble cowboy saves the chaste beauty queen from the evil man in black were made because Americans weren't ready to accept the reality of the Old West: a violent, lawless place with crooked cops, rape, murder, and all other sorts of injustices. Although spaghetti westerns can be cheesy in their own right, they had a huge impact because they challenged the notion of the Old West a.k.a. the Wild West as a romantic utopia, where good was good, bad was bad, and everything worked out perfectly with honesty and justice in the end.

Unfortunately, American society is based on pure optimism and the notion that an idealistic dream world can be achieved, which is why consumer culture caught on so strongly here, because a consumer culture is one where it says that there is an instant and trouble-free solution all life's hassles and solutions. Too bad so many people believe that and are miserable when reality kicks in and tells them the truth.

For example, those old fashioned westerns, where the noble cowboy saves the chaste beauty queen from the evil man in black were made because Americans weren't ready to accept the reality of the Old West: a violent, lawless place with crooked cops, rape, murder, and all other sorts of injustices. Although spaghetti westerns can be cheesy in their own right, they had a huge impact because they challenged the notion of the Old West a.k.a. the Wild West as a romantic utopia, where good was good, bad was bad, and everything worked out perfectly with honesty and justice in the end.
You're absolutely right. That's why I liked Deadwood so much. One of the best and most truthful depictions of the American West I've ever seen.

I love the Friday the 13th movies! :D And Horror movies in general! Oh and I love Hatchet! That movie was great! Also, I love Freddy Kruger! Go Freddy! Whooo!

.... I'm just gonna go take my meds now...

I saw Drag Me To Hell last week. I knew it wasn't a good sign when I saw it had a PG13 rating. I thought it was the worst piece of crap I've seen so far this year. And I don't think I was the only one when I kept hearing people in the audience say, "that was stupid." Raimi should probably just stick to his comic book movies from now on and try to avoid the horror genre.

:thumbsup:
Absolutely great movie. I still have a problem with putting it into the category "horror" though. There are so many elements that have nothing to do with "horror". But I can see why someone would argue that it could be a horror movie or horror thriller.

It really sucks, that the original US release of The Descent didn't have the ending with her having hallucinated. I mean, what does this say about the average American viewer, when the distributor thinks he/she can't handle it (intellectually, emotionally or otherwise)? And what does it say about the American movie industry or American distributors, when they don't want to show the average American viewer something that is crucial to the ending of a movie because it is considered not fitting the way America viewers are "conditioned"?
Am I the only one who thinks that's kinda sad...

I just bought P2 (for 8 Euros, couldn't resist at such a price). I've seen this movie last year and thought it was really good. I was astounded by how good it worked, for being low budget, having so few actors, a very restricted set and a really old school storyline.
Well with the names Aja and Levasseur connected to it, it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise. After High Tension I'd watch everything they have a part in. Even though I was a little bit disappointed by Mirrors. A good movie, but definitely not the best work these two have done.

Yes, I think censorship of any kind sucks. If they decide to butcher a film in a way it wasn't originally meant to be seen they might as well not even release it imo.

I own P2 and High Tension as well....I thought they were both very good :thumbsup: Haven't seen Mirrors, though. Have you seen Wolf Creek or Funny Games? You might like them if you liked P2 and High Tension.

Nina_Mercedez

Verified Babe
Official Checked Star Member
I am a huge Horror movie fan I live Rob Zombie always have but I am really disapointed with H2 I mean how the hell did Michael Myers mom come back even as a ghost come on Michael never had mommy issues??

But I like

House of 1000 Corpses I wore my first dvd out and had to buy a new one.
I love all the old Friday the 13th Hated the remake too much unnecessary nudity
Nightmare on Elm street
Halloween old ones and I loved the remake
Army of Darkness
Decent
The Strangers
I like too many to list but you get the idea ... LOL

Yes, I think censorship of any kind sucks. If they decide to butcher a film in a way it wasn't originally meant to be seen they might as well not even release it imo.
Absolutely! I don't know where you're from, sporty_carr, so perhaps you know this already: Where I live we have an "inspection authority" that rates every incoming movie, video game, record release and if they see fit, they register it and notify a court that judges whether it "endangers" the protection of young people. The EU already slapped our wrist several times, because it's actually nothing else but indirect, hidden censorship, but our government doesn't give a crap. If a movie doesn't pass the "test", it get's cut, indexed (that means no advertising, no open display, no selling to people under a certain age allowed) or even forbidden.
High Tension for example is cut. So I had to order it from Austria. Imagine someone who doesn't know, that the movie is cut. He get's a recommendation from a buddy to watch that movie, goes to the next store and buys it (censored of course) and is disappointed after seeing it (because the nasty, gory scenes or even the scenes with socially questionable behaviour have been removed). That's the main reason why High Tension wasn't the success in my country that it was everywhere else. You can't take a modern day slasher and remove almost all the slasher scenes.

I own P2 and High Tension as well....I thought they were both very good :thumbsup: Haven't seen Mirrors, though. Have you seen Wolf Creek or Funny Games? You might like them if you liked P2 and High Tension.
I've seen Wolf Creek and liked it very much. Not the best one of that genre I've seen so far, but good. But I haven't seen Funny Games. I was kinda afraid that it would turn out really boring. But I think I'll check it out now. Thanks.

I am a huge Horror movie fan I live Rob Zombie always have but I am really disapointed with H2 I mean how the hell did Michael Myers mom come back even as a ghost come on Michael never had mommy issues??

But I like

House of 1000 Corpses I wore my first dvd out and had to buy a new one.
I love all the old Friday the 13th Hated the remake too much unnecessary nudity
Nightmare on Elm street
Halloween old ones and I loved the remake
Army of Darkness
Decent
The Strangers
I like too many to list but you get the idea ... LOL
I wouldn't have taken you for the horror movie type. Especially not the really nasty ones like the Rob Zombie movies. I'm pleasantly surprised. :D

Patrick_S

persona non grata
Absolutely! I don't know where you're from, sporty_carr, so perhaps you know this already: Where I live we have an "inspection authority" that rates every incoming movie, video game, record release and if they see fit, they register it and notify a court that judges whether it "endangers" the protection of young people. The EU already slapped our wrist several times, because it's actually nothing else but indirect, hidden censorship, but our government doesn't give a crap. If a movie doesn't pass the "test", it get's cut, indexed (that means no advertising, no open display, no selling to people under a certain age allowed) or even forbidden.
High Tension for example is cut. So I had to order it from Austria. Imagine someone who doesn't know, that the movie is cut. He get's a recommendation from a buddy to watch that movie, goes to the next store and buys it (censored of course) and is disappointed after seeing it (because the nasty, gory scenes or even the scenes with socially questionable behaviour have been removed). That's the main reason why High Tension wasn't the success in my country that it was everywhere else. You can't take a modern day slasher and remove almost all the slasher scenes.
This is pretty much how censorship worked in Sweden in the 80´s too. Almost every horror movie were cut to pieces (i bought The Beyond on VHS a long time ago and it turned out it was the cut version where something like 14 minutes had been cut). Thankfully movies don´t get cut any more here, movie censorship pretty much ended when Braindead was released uncut in 1992. I guess they figured that if that movie could be released uncut then pretty much anything could be released uncut.

But I haven't seen Funny Games. I was kinda afraid that it would turn out really boring. But I think I'll check it out now.
Funny Games isn´t a horror movie, it´s more like some sort of experiment in manipulating a movie audience. I think it´s a great movie that have some interesting things to say about how violence is portrayed as a form of entertainment in cinema.

the part with the bear trap was sweet.

You know, another movie ripped that very idea off. Or was it that Severance ripped off that other movies Bear Trap idea? either way both movies have the same damn scene in them.

Severance.

Wilderness.