• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

America's band

America's band

• Metallica

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • R.E.M.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Aerosmith

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Beach Boys

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • The Doors

• Other

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
Nirvana, Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Springsteen, Velvet Underground, Ramones or Pearl Jam, to hard to just choose one.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Hendrix was American, but was discovered in England.

As mentioned before me...

The Allman Brothers Band
Grand Funk Railroad
Santana
etc.

But what about the founders? Unless I missed it, no one mentioned Elvis Presley. Not my favorite, but certainly not worthy as far as bringing rock & roll to the for front of America's attention.

wow... totally skipped Boston & REO Speedwagon... :crash:

*cough* Jefferson Airplane *cough* :brick:

I still wouldn't be able to select one from the list. I almost feel like Nirvana is the greatest American band of all time.

Green Day would be in the discussion if it wasn't for their bullshit political views.

Metallica, great band though not quite American as Lars, the Danish bloke would contest. A bit like ACDC being Aussie when all the fuckers were from the UK (Bon Scott excused).

Prod3

Expect Nothing and Appreciate Everything
Dream Theater havent been around for as long as some but they are very good at what they do!

On this list I would say Metallica and Aerosmith

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
The Doors or Lynyrd Skynyrd....take your pick, maybe both.

I voted Doors since I could pick only one.

The Eagles should at least make the list IMO. Very tough subjective question.

Mayhem

Banned
I honestly don't get why I'm the only one saying Doobie Brothers. I get that there's other choices, but how am I the only one?

Mr. Daystar

I honestly don't get why I'm the only one saying Doobie Brothers. I get that there's other choices, but how am I the only one?

Because while they are a great band...and I do really like the Doobie Bros., they really don't fall into the ultra popular category that Hendrix, or Zeppelin do.

I like the Beach Boys, but I would hardly call them one of my favorites, however, if you want to go by the thread title, I think they would fall into "Americas" band, then Skynyrd. Both bands are immensely popular, and were formed in America.

Mayhem

Banned
Because while they are a great band...and I do really like the Doobie Bros., they really don't fall into the ultra popular category that Hendrix, or Zeppelin do.

I like the Beach Boys, but I would hardly call them one of my favorites, however, if you want to go by the thread title, I think they would fall into "Americas" band, then Skynyrd. Both bands are immensely popular, and were formed in America.

We're talking here, so don't think I'm lashing this at you. But name a riff more iconic than China Grove. Jesus is Just Alright, Blackwater, Listen To The Music and on and on. Love Hendrix and so much more from that era, but no one is getting more airplay to this day than the Doobies. Surf music and Southern rock are both great American rock genres, but they're restricted to America.

Anyway, lots of great bands, lots of great reasons. I'm just surprised I'm the only one on the Doobie Bros. camp.

Harpsman

Light one for Me
Of those listed for the poll I'd vote for the Beach Boys.

These guys deserve a mention. I saw Q Magazine give 5* review to the compilation "A breath taking journey through vintage Americana by one of the most influential bands ever". There began my love affair:)

Attachments

• 0000829084.jpg
    0000829084.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 85

Mr. Daystar

We're talking here, so don't think I'm lashing this at you. But name a riff more iconic than China Grove. Jesus is Just Alright, Blackwater, Listen To The Music and on and on. Love Hendrix and so much more from that era, but no one is getting more airplay to this day than the Doobies. Surf music and Southern rock are both great American rock genres, but they're restricted to America.

Anyway, lots of great bands, lots of great reasons. I'm just surprised I'm the only one on the Doobie Bros. camp.

I don't think you would waste a good lash, on a music thread....

My thought is this....we are fucking old! There are a lot of great riffs, none of which will hold up for you, because you are a hard core Doobie's fan. But I think the youth today, don't really get that it takes more then 2 guitars and a couple of Marshall's, with a distortion pedals, to make rock and roll. I also think the Doobies teeter on the verge of fusion. Lets face it, Jeff Baxter went to Steely Dan, Micheal McDonald's solo career is VERY jazz like, and the Doobie's bass lines are heavily jazz influenced. A great band, but they transcend that cookie cutter mold.

As a serious fan of the bass, and someone that owns a really nice one, I would have dropped "Long Train Runnin'" in there...that thumping bass line beats almost any guitar riff they've put out. Or so I think.

ArthurTurner

God Bless Christian Louboutin
Depends on the decade, what you liked and who you talk to:

The `60s, (at least the first half) clearly belongs to the Beach Boys; the second half, probably the Doors.

The `70s? Chicago and the Eagles tore up the airwaves and sold a ton of records; Aerosmith was called the American Stones by some, and they bridged the `70s and `80s.

Metallica has rolled along unabated since the early `80s. I'm not a metal fan, but there's no denying the impact they've made. A monster band, part of what my kid (and I guess everyone else) calls the Big Four of metal along with Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax.

Seems to me Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Foo Fighters dominated the `90s in America.

But my candidates for America's Band: The E-Street Band and Journey.