• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

America's band

America's band

• Metallica

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • R.E.M.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Aerosmith

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Beach Boys

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • The Doors

• Other

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
So I was thinking about how Britain has all the great bands, whereas America seems to have quite a few of the greatest solo artists.

Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Queen
Radiohead

Hendrix
Dylan
Prince
Aretha
Michael Jackson
Joplin

So in your mind, who is the great American band?

I believe Garth Brooks is the top selling guy in America. Band-wise it's the Eagles. If you want to leave sales out of the mix then you're talking about personal preference, in which case I'll take Reznor and NIN, which really are one and the same.

You include R.E.M. in your poll, but you don't include ZZ Top? That's a thread fail, if ever I've seen one before.

ApolloBalboa

Was King of the Board for a Day
Based on longevity and talent (though not necessarily my favorite), I'd say Aerosmith. In terms of influence, incorporating many different genres, and overall musicianship, the Beach Boys.

bahodeme

Closed Account
The Eagles
Sly & The Family Stone

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
The Ramones, Green Day, Blondie, Talking Heads, Three Dog Night or Sonic Youth.

Jackson 5, Backstreet Boys (well they had loads of top hits)

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
Guns n' Roses
Aerosmith
Journey
Metallica
Bon Jovi

And even though the brothers are Danish, the undisputed kings of american born bands are...........Van Halen.

:hatsoff:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Very tough Scott. I commend you for trying something like this. :hatsoff: Very hard.

So many choices, so little time.. Mine would have to go to "other" ... (1968 to 1971)

Creedence Clearwater Revival ...

Allman Brothers...

Canned Heat...

I'm trying to find the band that basically mastered categories of commercial, critical and probably longevity success.

PF, the Beatles, RS, LZ all had the massive sales, critical success and of course storied careers.

There just aren't a damn ton of bands stateside that can hold a flame to these bands. I've never liked Aerosmith (outside of 'Dream On'), but they certainly captured these categories. I think Metallica is a bit too dark and not mainstream enough, but they are still doing their thing and they've had the commercial success. R.E.M. was tops in all three for a while.

How does Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band not get a mention here?

Because it's Bruce Springsteen, singular. Just like, I suppose, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Prince and the Revolution.

Also most of Bruce's albums were released in title as 'Bruce Springsteen'. It's clear he is a solo artist. I also think he's overrated so I didn't list him along with those legends I listed above, although I suppose he should get honorable mention.