• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

After watching MacGyver I've got a question about guns in the US

Kingfisher

Here Zombie, Zombie, Zombie...
Just because it looked like it was an M16 doesn't mean it was. Assault rifle sales have been regulated by the U.S. government since 1934. It could have been a variant AR-15 which doesn't have selectable fire.

Even then, this was a TV show that had a strong anti-gun theme.

Certain Prop guns are allowed to have select and fully automatic fire, as long as they are only capable of firing blanks, and have a insert into the barrel and the barrel is also made permanently UN-removable. Also certain prop houses are allowed to create weapons as long as they have the Class III permits from the ATF.

I've held them, I've shot them. They completely suck in comparison to the real things and get gummed up damn quick.

Certain Prop guns are allowed to have select and fully automatic fire, as long as they are only capable of firing blanks, and have a insert into the barrel and the barrel is also made permanently UN-removable. Also certain prop houses are allowed to create weapons as long as they have the Class III permits from the ATF.

I've held them, I've shot them. They completely suck in comparison to the real things and get gummed up damn quick.

Your point? I was saying that it could have been an AR-15 or something similar. The creators of the show could have implied it and most folks at home wouldn't know the difference. Like I said, the creator of the show had an anti-gun agenda that he was not shy in discussing.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
What were they called before the terminology of "assault rifle" came into the picture?

Main battle rifle.

The M1 Garand stayed the M1 Garand. The M14 was select fire, the civilian version is the M1A the M16 became the AR15, the M4A1, is, if I'm not mistaken, the AR15. Almost all manufacturers produce their military versions, in a civilian format...AS THEY SHOULD. Even H&K has versions of the 417 and 416, as well as the FN-SCAR's.

The law states that you must be at least 21 years of age and not have any felony convictions on your record in order to legally purchase a firearm in the states. I haven't seen a episode of Macgyver in 25 + years, you mean you're watching reruns on boxset?!!! :1orglaugh ... just heckling you :tongue:

Also, the term "assault rifle" gives me the impression that a rifle all by itself could pick itself up, chamber a round and point itself at a human target and fire killing its victim... I've yet to see such a thing! :1orglaugh
It's all anti gun hysteria.

Remember, outlaws will always have guns... you know the rest of the story...

Re-run? this is a first time run for me pal. I grew up in the 80s but I had never seen MacGyver in it's initial run. I got the seven season boxset (which includes the two movies that came after the show when it finished). And I just started season five last night. So I am a newbie to the MacGyver craze. I don't even remember it being mentioned on tv here in Scotland back in the 80s. All I remember is the likes of Knight Rider, The A Team, V, Monkey (aka Monkey Magic), Quantum Leap, Street Hawk, The Equalizer, Magnum PI, Dempsey and Makepeace (I had a hard-on for Glynis Barber who played Makepeace she was awesome! she still is!. Google her for some photos and you'll see.) and also Miami Vice. I don't remember hearing about MacGyver untill the late 90s and this was due to American shows or movies referencing the show in their shows or movies. I am on a mission to buy as many 80s shows as I can that I am interested in. I have boxsets of some of the above shows with the rest still to obtain at some point.

Look up "Brady Bill." That's a Federal Law that requires all states to do a background check on the individual purchasing the firearm. Some states take 3 days to do the background check. Others take 5-7 days. So the waiting period depends on how efficient a state is for doing background checks.

I used to believe like Dirk, that ALL guns should be outlawed. But, wait until something happens to you or your family and you will think differently. Now, I'm all for protecting #2.

Guns are easy to get without going through the background checks and B.S. There is a gun show probably every weekend at some county fairground here in NE Ohio. At least 1 a month at the fairgrounds down the street from me. You can buy as many guns as you want. If you want an unregistered gun (so the gov't won't know you own a gun) you can purchase those as well, they just cost more. The gun store down the street from me has monthly raffles and barbecues. Never been to one, but seriously considering getting me a pistol and CCW permit.

Mock the US all you want for it's gun laws but I will assure you this, no nation is STUPID enough to attack us on our own soil because pretty much everyone here owns a gun. What our Army can't protect us from our armed citizens will beat the crap out of. Look up Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Men, there's your example.

Mr. Daystar

I can walk into any gun/sporting goods shop in Ohio, produce a valid Ohio drivers license, and the funds, and walk out with ANY gun, that is not fully automatic. That waiting period might be a State law where you live, but it's not Federal. The waiting period has been replaced by a much more efficient F.B.I. call in back round check. Of course, and shop does have the right to refuse to sell you a gun. If you go into a store, and you're in an obvious state of agitation, and exhibiting potentially violent behavior, they have the right to deny you a gun.

Kingfisher

Your point? I was saying that it could have been an AR-15 or something similar. The creators of the show could have implied it and most folks at home wouldn't know the difference. Like I said, the creator of the show had an anti-gun agenda that he was not shy in discussing.

I had no point, sorry if I came off that way, I was just telling how weapons in the movie industry work.

I wonder if you can buy an M79 grenade launcher and all the ammo you can carry. Imagine that weapon. It would be awesome!. Door to door salesmen would learn not to darken your door step ever again!. If they did shove it in their stupid faces and see them wet themselves and then run like fuck towards the gate. Give them false hope of going to make it out the gate then fire the weapon just as the idiot gets to the gate and BOOM no more door to door salesman... and no more gate either for that matter. Plus that M79 would be awesome if there was ever a zombie apocalypse.

By the way thanks folks for the info in this thread. It's appreciated and very informative.

Mr. Daystar

I wonder if you can buy an M79 grenade launcher and all the ammo you can carry. Imagine that weapon. It would be awesome!. Door to door salesmen would learn not to darken your door step ever again!. If they did shove it in their stupid faces and see them wet themselves and then run like fuck towards the gate. Give them false hope of going to make it out the gate then fire the weapon just as the idiot gets to the gate and BOOM no more door to door salesman... and no more gate either for that matter. Plus that M79 would be awesome if there was ever a zombie apocalypse.

By the way thanks folks for the info in this thread. It's appreciated and very informative.

I don't think so. If I'm not mistaken, that falls under the "dangerous device" category, that was part of the laws that happened when the "assault weapons" ban of 1986 was enacted. Part of the bill, limited certain fully automatic weapons, and parts. It also excluded the ownership of certain weapons. These laws never "sunset", when the original ban expired. That's why fully automatic weapons cost so much, there's only a small pool of parts and guns, and there are no new ones for private consumers. Kind of like old muscle cars. 25 years ago, a 65 GTO wasn't as rare as it is today, therefore the price sky rockets with demand.

I saw an M-79 launcher for sale at a gun show in Grand Rapids, MI back in 05 or 06, so i think you can buy one, at least in this state. I don't think you can buy and actual explosive rounds though.

Mr. Daystar

I saw an M-79 launcher for sale at a gun show in Grand Rapids, MI back in 05 or 06, so i think you can buy one, at least in this state. I don't think you can buy and actual explosive rounds though.

If you can buy the launcher, then all you would be able to buy are practice grenades.

Kingfisher

The ones on the market have had an insert put in so they can only shoot 37mm flares or 12ga. shotgun flare rounds.

Yeah, thats what I figured, that you could only buy practice rounds or flare rounds or something similar to that. I wonder how easy it is to buy explosive rounds on the black market?

Kingfisher

Yeah, thats what I figured, that you could only buy practice rounds or flare rounds or something similar to that. I wonder how easy it is to buy explosive rounds on the black market?

I've never been able to buy any... I mean I never tried... I mean I don't know what you're talking about Officer.

Shit man flares and practice grenades are so lame. You can't do fuck all with them unless you are stuck in a fucking dingy out in the ocean and try and signal for help with the flare. Just imagine the fun you could have (and the money you could make) if you had real ammo for the M79. You could start your own demolition business. Make some serious buckage.

Customer: "I'd like for that garden hut to be taken down as a new one is going to be built in it's place."

Ravenholm: "Aye sure pal. No problem. Wont be a second...."

BOOM!!!! *it rains splinters of wood for about five minutes after the explosion*

Ravenholm: "Ok. Job done. Now pay me!."

Customer: "Holy sweet flying fuck!. I didn't mean take it down like that. Holy shit!. I ain't paying you jack, pal!."

Ravenholm points the M79 at the uncooperative customer and says in a menacing voice: "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!."

That's complete bullshit. You're issued a handgun when you enter America. It keeps you safe, you see? This is everyone's first breakfast in the USA:

Just looking at all that bacon makes my stomach hurt

KLSsw08

My Hands Should Be Patented As A Bra; Perfect Fit!
I live in Arizona,don't need a CCW permit in this state.However,if any gun(rifle,handgun)is purchased in a gunshop,you have to fill out an ATF background check form beforehand.I have 3 semi-auto rifles and 1 bolt-action sniper rifle.I have purchased all 4 rifles from a trusted long time friend,won't buy any weapons in a gun store.Non of ATF's or Federal goverment's business what I have.

Scott

I thought about writing a more detailed response to this thread/question earlier, but decided not to. It's clear the most dumbest shits on the planet are the most ignorant idiots and utopian-dreamin' liberals on the place of the earth. Where are you guys gettin' the 'good good'?

If I want a .357 S&W all I have to do is walk down a few streets, and that is final. So your "argument" is flawed; it's derelict misleading propaganda (you like those fancy words, huh? :1orglaugh) and is total nonsense and you and your crew are nothing but a bunch of bald-faced liars. Live in the city for a year or two (or a decade or two, more like it) and then open your trap(s). Otherwise I suggest you all just STFU.