• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

After watching MacGyver I've got a question about guns in the US

In one particular episode of the boxset I have he was in a store and one guy was trying to buy a handgun from the guy behind the counter. The guy behind the counter said he could have the handgun but the man would have to way 7 days for a police permit. Now it might have been extended from 7 days in the 80s to what ever it is now I don't know. BUT the gunstore clerk said to the man that he could have, if he didn't want to wait that long, a semi-auto rifle in a cash and carry sale right there and then. And I saw him being offered a rifle that looked like an M16 type of weapon.

I was thinking to myself "What in the fucking fuck?!?!. He can't get a normal handgun for 7 days due to having to wait for a permit, but he can walk away right there and then with a fucking assault rifle. THAT'S FUCKED UP!."

That defies all logic. If anything both weapons should need a permit. Or the biggest of the two which is the rifle it should need a permit. Not this cash and carry nonsense.

Is this true in all states or should I say... was this true in all states once upon a time.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
7 days is too long, I want my gun now, nooooowwwwww! It depends on the state your in as well, some states possibly the Southern ones they big gun shows at convention centers that you can buy all kinds of guns at.

You want your gun now? go to that gun store in the episode in question and you can walk away with a fucking grenade launcher or something right there and then. But ask for a simple handgun and you have to wait for it. Thanks for the info though pal. Much appreciated.

That's complete bullshit. You're issued a handgun when you enter America. It keeps you safe, you see? This is everyone's first breakfast in the USA:

Vanilla Bear

Bears For Life
Don't put the gun instead of the bacon in your mouth!

Anyway that's an interesting question. I want to know, too. Sounds ridiculous if it was true.

In all honesty, this is very different from state to state. In Indiana, for example, you can walk into a gun shop and purchase any kind of gun, including a handgun, and walk out with it. Getting a license to carry a concealed weapon takes a drivers license, and about a week to wait for it to be mailed to you.

Yes, that's right. Nearly anyone in Indiana can legally carry a loaded sidearm.

I know this is not true of all states, some have very strict carry laws, and mandatory waiting periods for various types of weapons.

Harley Spencer

Official Checked Star Member
I'm thinking it might have something to do with the size and usage. Handguns are smaller and can be carried around anywhere in your purse, jacket, pocket, man-purse, etc. Rifles? Not so much. Much too big to hide from the public. And I believe that people use rifles much more often for hunting than handguns. That might also have something to do with it.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the size and usage. Handguns are smaller and can be carried around anywhere in your purse, jacket, pocket, man-purse, etc. Rifles? Not so much. Much too big to hide from the public. And I believe that people use rifles much more often for hunting than handguns. That might also have something to do with it.

Thats exactly it. It differs from state to state, but in many of them the requirements are stricter for handguns because they are easily concealable, whereas long guns (rifles, shotguns etc) are too big to be carried without being noticed. In Michigan you have to get a permit to purchase a handgun, but all you have to do is have a drivers license, no felony convictions, and pass a VERY basic firearms safety test. Long guns you don't need a permit to buy, but the store does run a quick records check to make sure no felonies pop up before they sell them to you.

As everyone else has said, gun laws vary dramatically from state to state. For example, in Arizona you're allowed to walk down the street openly carrying a loaded weapon as long as you aren't using it to endanger anyone. I have a coworker from Georgia who claims that the county where he lived actually has an ordinance that requires its residents to own a shotgun. Dirk says that in Indiana you just need a driver's license and a week to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon, while in California you're more likely to find a leprechaun's pot of gold than to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. A friend of mine who is a corrections officer was denied the permit because he didn't need it for the immediate scope of his work. So, yeah, it depends.

Thats exactly it. It differs from state to state, but in many of them the requirements are stricter for handguns because they are easily concealable, whereas long guns (rifles, shotguns etc) are too big to be carried without being noticed. In Michigan you have to get a permit to purchase a handgun, but all you have to do is have a drivers license, no felony convictions, and pass a VERY basic firearms safety test. Long guns you don't need a permit to buy, but the store does run a quick records check to make sure no felonies pop up before they sell them to you.

I beg to differ. A hack-saw makes long-guns quite easy to conceal.

:D

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
It keeps baffling me what laws allow in the USA. I am fine with allowing people to get fireweapons if they really need them for selfprotection. Of course, this should go along with strict rules how to keep them safe and minimum chance for children etc. to get a hold of them.

Yet states and counties that allow citizens to walk around like Billy the Kid, Holster open at the side, that is sick.

It keeps baffling me what laws allow in the USA. I am fine with allowing people to get fireweapons if they really need them for selfprotection. Of course, this should go along with strict rules how to keep them safe and minimum chance for children etc. to get a hold of them.

Yet states and counties that allow citizens to walk around like Billy the Kid, Holster open at the side, that is sick.

My opinions on this are particularly unpopular where I live. I don't believe any person, other than a military or law enforcement officer, has any need to own a handgun. Long guns are tools for hunting, and for farmers. But no one really needs a handgun. And if you honestly believe that having a handgun on your person is keeping you safe, you've been fooled. Sorry.

But, that's just my opinion.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...

Not "sick." Awesome! :D

My opinions on this are particularly unpopular where I live. I don't believe any person, other than a military or law enforcement officer, has any need to own a handgun. Long guns are tools for hunting, and for farmers. But no one really needs a handgun. And if you honestly believe that having a handgun on your person is keeping you safe, you've been fooled. Sorry.

A stupid opinion. I want a rocket launcher! :elaugh:

georges

Staff member

The police can't be everywhere, so I would rather be armed than robbed and dead. Policemen can also be corrupt, so shooting inself defense is justified.

In the episode I refered to the guy wanted the handgun for home defence and wanted it quick. That is why the store owner brought up the whole cash and carry thing with the rifle as it had no waiting period apparently. Sounds fucked as a rifle is more deadly than a handgun I'd say. I mean you can snipe some cunt from afar with a rifle. Not so much with a handgun.

:yesyes: What if you had to shoot a corrupt officer?

That's when I'd want something bigger... preferably belt fed!.

Well, remember, even in those "walk in, buy a firearm, walk out with it" situations, you DO HAVE to go through a background check. I did when I bought a pistol recently and I'm pretty sure that if I had some felony in my record they wouldn't have sold it to me.

The police can't be everywhere, so I would rather be armed than robbed and dead. Policemen can also be corrupt, so shooting inself defense is justified.

:rofl: Corrupt or not go shoot a cop in "self defense" and let us all know how that works out for you.