• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Your favorite cancelled TV shows

Twin Peaks

Wasn't cancelled. They just didn't know where to go with it at the end. So just finished it as most of the leading actors was all about to leave for other offers.

3. Seinfeld (I get it, but wish it had not been cancelled)
4. Becker

Neither of these was cancelled.
Seinfeld - They all thought they was going to go on to something bigger. LOL that was proven right :rolleyes:
Becker - Was cancelled by Ted Danson. He was leaving to do a better comedy and needed a fresh direction. Yeah that worked out didn't it Ted.

Enterprise. (I miss that show) :crying: :crying:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Enterprise - Was cancelled due to poor viewing figures in the US. Personally I thought it was the best of all the Star Trek's. Also it had good viewing figures here in the UK, so I wasn't alone.
Buffy - Also wasn't cancelled. It was just finished for a number of reasons. The main was that people was turning off in there millions. It had turned into a soap opera. Oh another was SMG thought she had a massive Hollywood career to start. Were still waiting for that LOL.

Angel was also killed in the US by poor viewing figures. Again it was doing well everywhere else. I liked this a lot more than the soap opera Buffy. The one where he turned into a puppet was a classic. Plus Spike in the final series was brilliant.

They thought they'ed done enough with this and was always intended to make at least one film. There are rumours there could be another film to come.

Space: Above and Beyond:

This died as no one got into it much. Viewing figures was terrible from the start.

02. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
05. Home Improvement
06. Fastlane
08. Futurama

Fresh Prince - Was finished as Will Smith was off to start his film career.
Home Improvement- Tim Allen said he'd took it as far as he could and wanted to try other things.
Fastlane - Sorry I saw two of these and they was done for one thing I could see Tiffany Thiesen!
Futurama - Another that wasn't cancelled. They said they'ed run out of ideas for it. Also the Simpsons film was going to take up too much of there time to continue it. But rumours are going round that they are going to bring it back!

there was a show back in the day i believe it was called "Earth²" that i enjoyed.

Earth 2 - Was a major flop. It cost a fortune to make and millions didn't tune in after 3 episodes was shown. It was too slow for many people and they also complained at lack of depth to the plot and stories.

Looking at this thread, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to shows that was cancelled and was just finished. Just because a series is finished does not mean it was cancelled. Mostly it's for other reasons like they had no plans for more, lack of new story lines, actors leaving for other projects, etc. But the biggest killer to any show is bad viewing figures. They see it as a none profitable adventure as they won't sell it abroad or sell the advert slots in between it.

What saddens me is that a lot of these are doing well aboard when they cancel them.

You can usually tell the difference between a cancel show and a finished show as where it ends. Only will they leave a finished show on a cliff hanger with questions unanswered if they want to leave it open to a possible return in the future. As like Star Trek did. But then there are shows like Angel and Enterprise that knew while they filmed them they was been finished. So they tied it all up by the last one shown :(

John Doe was on fox i believe 2003..one season then axed...loved that show

Fastlane was outstanding just wondering if it will ever come out on DVD in the UK :dunno:

Don't think so. It isn't out in the US either.I think it's a music licensing issue.That's probably why a lot of shows aren't out on DVD yet.

also, WTF happened to Space: Above and Beyond, a seriously deep and entertaining show about Marine pilots doing their thing in Intergalactic war?)

:mad:

That show was f'n good.Leave it to Fox to fuck up your TV world.

Angel was also killed in the US by poor viewing figures. Again it was doing well everywhere else. I liked this a lot more than the soap opera Buffy. The one where he turned into a puppet was a classic. Plus Spike in the final series was brilliant.

Looking at this thread, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to shows that was cancelled and was just finished. Just because a series is finished does not mean it was cancelled. Mostly it's for other reasons like they had no plans for more, lack of new story lines, actors leaving for other projects, etc. But the biggest killer to any show is bad viewing figures. They see it as a none profitable adventure as they won't sell it abroad or sell the advert slots in between it.

:(

Yeah that angel episode was great. It was the only one that I've seen from start to finish and I loved it.

You know,when I started this thread, I was under the impression that people knew the difference between a cancelled show and when a show just ends.Thanks for helping to try to clear up some of the confusion.

Cancelled Sci-Fi Shows ...

I am flumoxed and bewildered over Firefly (I got the entire season set on DVD and have marathon sessions on occasion;
Despite being a former NASA engineer, I'm not a huge sci-fi nut largely because they are largely and wholly unrealistic.
As such, my favorite Sci-Fi show ever was Babylon 5 because human (and select other) races had to deal with inertia and lack of artificial gravity.
Atop of that, two "lesser" characters had very deep developments, season 1 was filled with sub-plots and the next 3 were filled with near-spiritual moments.
But the ultimate irony is that Babylon 5 should have stayed canceled after the 4th season, because the 5th season sucked compare to 1-4 after TNT picked it up.

But there are 2 other Sci-Fi series that I liked more for socio-political reasons than their futuristic themes.

One was the original Star Trek -- from the first interracial kiss on US national TV to the epiphany of "Don't you see, he's green on the other side of his face!"
Man, that latter episode was my all-time favorite!

And the other -- which sadly got canceled well before it's themes were allowed to evolve -- was Firefly.
I never got into Buffy, but Josh's very serious plot line on "independence v. alliance" was really, really deep!
Yes, most people loved the show for gun-slinging, ass-kicking "The Train Man" episode, which shown first but was filmed first, but it had deeper themes.
I mean, Serenity was the name of the ship (and resulting movie) because of the major theme of the show (after the Battle of Serenity).

If I had to "restart" any Sci-Fi series, Firefly would be it.
And although the movie did end up "resolving" some things too early, it still has plenty left in its original theme.

also, WTF happened to Space: Above and Beyond, a seriously deep and entertaining show about Marine pilots doing their thing in Intergalactic war?)
Seemed "incomplete" to me, could have been better.
But yes, it was at least somewhat "original" in the fact that the Earth was not united against a common threat.

I mean...Star Trek was cancelled! Can anyone say "disconnected"?
Had nothing to do with ratings, it really had to do with cost v. ratings.
As far as all the other Star Trek series, overdone, overplayed, "It's another fucking subspace anomaly Captain!" quote in every other episode.
And Deep Sleep Nine -- er, Deep Space Nine -- what a fucking joke at times?
Probably my favorite episode in the newer generations was the Next Generation episode on "First Contact" (not the movie of the same name) where a technology teetering race has to deal with the "religious" aspects they are not alone.
Priceless socio-political overtones in that one, even if they weren't explored deep enough (as with most TV shows).

Until someone tackles Sci-Fi with real inertia and lack of artificial gravity -- even better than Babylon 5 did -- I won't be satisfied enough as an engineer.
With today's CGI, someone should -- even make an entire movie or -- better yet -- series on the fact.
I always wanted to do one where the future "breaks down" into a new "dark age" of a thousand years of conflict of technology that is not too far into the future.

Buffy - Also wasn't cancelled. It was just finished for a number of reasons. The main was that people was turning off in there millions. It had turned into a soap opera. Oh another was SMG thought she had a massive Hollywood career to start. Were still waiting for that LOL.
Joss said that even if Sarah agreed for another season, he wouldn't be on board because he was basically strained from all his projects. So odds are that the show was going to be the last season.

They thought they'ed done enough with this and was always intended to make at least one film. There are rumours there could be another film to come.
No, Firefly was definately cancelled, my friend. Everyone was on board but the network. Joss tried to shop the show to the Sci-Fi Channel when FOX dropped it and said that he would never work with FOX again (at this point who the hell wants to work with them anyway). To boot, there's at least one known unfilmed Firely script along with bits of potential plot revelations sprinkled around here and there. Joss even said that the plot of Serenity was basically going to be an arc if the series had continued, he just condensed it to film, and done to bring some sense of resolution. The fact that the powers-that-be let a movie be made was just one of those rare instances where Hollywood did something right, so much so that the rumours of another film are mere wishful thinking at this point. Odds are better in the rumour mill that the show itself will be back on another network (though I'm not certain how likely that'll be). So major downer points to you for total misinformation here. Fucking hell, there are even two unaired episodes. Try to explain that as anything but cancellation.

Futurama - Another that wasn't cancelled. They said they'ed run out of ideas for it. Also the Simpsons film was going to take up too much of there time to continue it. But rumours are going round that they are going to bring it back!

It's be long confirmed that it is coming back. It'll resurrect on Comedy Central who'll have the rights to the syndication airings when it expires in 2008 so it'll all be under one roof. Also, it more or less was cancelled because FOX, those wuvale braintrusts, decided against renewing it for a fifth season.

Philbert

Banned
ProfV:

I think some of the best shows of Space were not shoot'em ups, but the character conflicts between the "future but same as us" Marine pilots...a Tank, A Navy brat with issues, the all American kid, etc.
I loved the episode Ray Butts; black hole and pancakes and country music together.
The science seemed realer than most, advances overlaid on familiar technology, like in this world and time.
I always found myself lost in the characters and their next crisis, not the background so much.
Very much like us here at FreeOnes!:D

I'll give you that ...

ProfV:
I think some of the best shows of Space were not shoot'em ups, but the character conflicts between the "future but same as us" Marine pilots...a Tank, A Navy brat with issues, the all American kid, etc.
I loved the episode Ray Butts; black hole and pancakes and country music together.
Well, I'll give you that, it had that character aspect -- today, but not today.
The science seemed realer than most, advances overlaid on familiar technology, like in this world and time.
Eh, er, um, no, can't agree, not realistic in many cases at all, poorly implemented.
I would have done many things very differently as a lot of the "science" was done based on "common persceptions" of physics, not reality.
I always found myself lost in the characters and their next crisis, not the background so much.
Very much like us here at FreeOnes!:D
Agreed.
I'm very, very picky, and what most engineers would like would probably not be what the American public would like.
But I can still dream. ;)

MRPIMPN4EVA

Banned
Re: I'll give you that ...

Martin...

Dogod -- I spent over 5 minutes typing out a long explanation why poggy1 was wrong about Firefly and Futurama , but you beat be to it.:thumbsup:
I heard rumors of a direct-to-DVD movie or movies ,because the show had such a huge sucess with DVD sales. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

I knew there were going to be some I forgot. I loved Earth 2 a lot, and especially Futurama.

I also forgot Once & Again (w/Sela Ward & Billy Campbell) and Now & Again (w/Eric Close)

Enterprise alienated the "hard core" Trekkers ...

Enterprise - Was cancelled due to poor viewing figures in the US.
That's because they alienated the entire batch of Trekkers (not "Trekkies") that wanted to get into the show.
Myself was included -- I had hoped they would be true to the already laid out plots of the pre-Federation.
But, alas, they already started to "change things" in the movie First Contact from that historical info.

Allegedly the new "prequel" movie is supposed to be true to the history of Kirk, Spock, et. al. pre-'66-68 series.
We'll see but it does seem like the "purists" are having some say, especially the writer.

Personally I thought it was the best of all the Star Trek's.
Of all the '80s+, I agree.
But not the original, way, way ahead of its time.

I mean, when Star Trek aired in 1966, it was the first show to not just use "aliens on humans" like the mass Sci-Fi did.
You also had all sorts of ethic synergy and alliances, even if the networks didn't end up "tolerating" a female First Officer (who became the nurse),
and the Captain was still a man from the Mid-west US, as there was no other option the network would allow. ;)

Also it had good viewing figures here in the UK, so I wasn't alone.
Unfortunately that matters little in the massive economy of the US media-advertising system.
Even if there were as many potential UK viewers as US viewers, you're still almost a order of magnitude less "effective viewship" in advertising dollars. ;)
But it does mean the show did have some depth, more than the typical American viewer can appreciate.

I still watched it, even as I cringed on many plots and wanted to smack out the writers and producers and tell them to bring back D.C. Fontana (a woman no less).
And yes, I'm fully aware that D.C. Fontana has been involved with some "cult" Star Trek projects on the Internet.
I'd like to see Paramount take those seriously, since they cost them nothing, and they have a real opportunity to be one of the first "killer profit models" in the real future of Internet media.

Old shows done anew that would normally cost too much to make for limited viewership, but can be very well done by ethusiasts for next to nothing, and distributed on the Internet for next to nothing.

member006

Closed Account
I liked "Murphy Brown" that one crushed me :(

I also felt a loss when "Will and Grace" was cancelled. While those (w/g) type shows aren't top on my list I found it a good balance of comedy and real emotion. A nice 1/2 hour break away from life back then.

LL

Murphy Brown was a prime example going against sexism ...

I liked "Murphy Brown" that one crushed me :(
A perfect example against the normal grain of how (and why) TV and Hollywood is one of the most sexist industries on the planet.
Strong women are rarely lead characters in TV and movies because it forces men (and society) to think completely different of them.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Contact, even though it's not as good as the book, because the lead character was a very strong woman.
Especially when it came to her views -- on everything from Pure Science to God to the Golden Rule -- and she was chastized and virtually persecuted for them.

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
Millennium
Vanished
Carnivale
Deadwood
Sleeper Cell
Night Gallery
Tales From The Crypt
OZ(Wasn't cancelled but I was sad when it came to an end. One of my all time favorite shows.)

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Hm. Firefly. Ended too soon with little to no closure. Movie included. Perhaps the MMORPG will tie up those loose ends! Then again.. and man, do I think this will fall on deaf ears.. MMORPG's are too temporary. You cant play them offline. I like knowing that my character can be rebuilt and leveled over and over again should I decide to play it in 2020 or some such.

Other than that.. DS9. I thought the ending was open-ended.. in a good way. But the space battle against the Dominion was just a rehash of a previous encounter the year before. Same exact CGI, as I recall. Enjoyable characters. Despite losing the original dax, Ezri did an EXCELLENT job filling in the role. It was pretty tacked-on that she went the romantic route with you-know-who, though. Like watching the Matrix 1 and somehow.. Trinity fell for Neo? I didnt see that one coming. She's so wooden. They didnt hint at it enough in the hour before to get my spidey senses tingling. I didnt mind it, though. I just thought it was too.. last minute.

Also Carnivale. They only finished one chapter out of three. Left it hanging wide open. It's very unusual for HBO to just cut a series off. I thought season 2 didnt have the same spark as 1.. but I was FAR from dropping it like I did with Lost. Oh well.