• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why FoxNews Isn't Actually a News Organization

I'm betting that only about half of the commenters here - or fewer - even watched the link I started the thread with...

Rattrap

Doesn't feed trolls and would appreciate it if you
I'm betting that only about half of the commenters here - or fewer - even watched the link I started the thread with...

You're probably right. Pretty typical for the thread to just take off from the the idea imparted by the title alone and spin off on a different, though often related subject.

In any case, I watched the video and found the commentary pretty interesting, though not terribly...useful? I'm not sure what there is to be done, except perhaps if the other news outlets took it to heart and allowed the White House's exclusions from now on, which would be fair considering what the video's shown.

Even in the end, it's not quite that Fox isn't a news outlet, so much as it isn't only a news outlet - it's fair to say that it's an opposing political outlet (to the White House), not to say anything of the quality of the "news" that it covers.

Just one small - but relevant - case in point.

Here they are promoting their fucking "Tea Party Express II" - get on board!!

http://i.imgur.com/8WDLa.jpg

Facetious

Moderated
Liberals and Conservatives alike perceive things differently, what's new about that ? The things that one may hold as being true may not register with any cred whatsoever with the other and vice versa. Don't you like the option of being able to decide between two or better.... say, ten unrelated sources when it comes to news & politiks ?

I realize that some people like to make a hobby out of the incessant bs political run around i.e. "Ah haaaa ! A republikan senator was involved in a scandal in 1993 !" (therefore, the whole party should drop like a house of cards ? :dunno:

I'd rather watch PBS news, they seem to be the most balanced. Don't seem to lean either to the right or left which is how I like my news; unbiased.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I'd rather watch PBS news, they seem to be the most balanced. Don't seem to lean either to the right or left which is how I like my news; unbiased.

I agree. That's why I'm so sorry that I don't get any PBS stations right now.

There is no upside to a news organization - any news organization - operating as a propaganda arm of any political party. The idea that a media outlet performing this function is a necessary part of a healthy democracy is a misleading one. To stay on message information has to be massaged or deleted. If that is how you like your news, ie untrue then I can't help you.

I find it strange that nobody would ever dream of subscribing to a sports channel where, irrespective of actual results, the commentators always said your team was winning. Why some adults are proud to take this stance with regard to the rather more important world of politics is beyond me? Unless you allow for the fact that they are fucking stupid.

Mrs Jolly is correct,media should not be taking sides.

While I will admit some are left biased on occasion like Keith Olbermann on MSNBC,that really didn't start IMO untill Fox started with their overwhelming republican right wing slant came along.

And I would agree PBS is far superior then any of the commercial news outlets but don't think most on the right would see it that way.They paint anything that is not overwhelmingly pro-american,pro-buisness,pro white majority as being left wing and biased.

PBS isn't that so they are Liberal/left wing and biased right?:dunno:

Ok, what would some of you like to se happen, the obama administration shut them down or force them out of business?

:rolleyes:

Oh, spare me!

I wouldn't like to see them do either one of those things (shut them down or force them out of business), but since they clearly aren't TRYING or PLANNING to do that, it's a ludicrous premise to start a discussion with.

As for jasonk's assertion how everybody knows that most news media are liberally-biased, this is a report worth reading:

http://mediamatters.org/reports/200602140002

Excerpt:

"If It's Sunday, It's Conservative: An analysis of the Sunday talk show guests on ABC, CBS, and NBC, 1997 - 2005
February 14, 2006 9:30 am ET

Executive Summary

The Sunday-morning talk shows on ABC, CBS, and NBC are where the prevailing opinions are aired and tested, policymakers state their cases, and the left and right in American politics debate the pressing issues of the day on equal ground. Both sides have their say and face probing questions. Or so you would think.

In fact, as this study reveals, conservative voices significantly outnumber progressive voices on the Sunday talk shows. Media Matters for America conducted a content analysis of ABC's This Week, CBS' Face the Nation, and NBC's Meet the Press, classifying each one of the nearly 7,000 guest appearances during President Bill Clinton's second term, President George W. Bush's first term, and the year 2005 as either Democrat, Republican, conservative, progressive, or neutral. The conclusion is clear: Republicans and conservatives have been offered more opportunities to appear on the Sunday shows - in some cases, dramatically so.

Among the study's key findings:

* The balance between Democrats/progressives and Republicans/conservatives was roughly equal during Clinton's second term, with a slight edge toward Republicans/conservatives: 52 percent of the ideologically identifiable guests were from the right, and 48 percent were from the left. But in Bush's first term, Republicans/ conservatives held a dramatic advantage, outnumbering Democrats/progressives by 58 percent to 42 percent. In 2005, the figures were an identical 58 percent to 42 percent.

* Counting only elected officials and administration representatives, Democrats had a small advantage during Clinton's second term: 53 percent to 45 percent. In Bush's first term, however, the Republican advantage was 61 percent to 39 percent -- nearly three times as large.

* In both the Clinton and Bush administrations, conservative journalists were far more likely to appear on the Sunday shows than were progressive journalists. In Clinton's second term, 61 percent of the ideologically identifiable journalists were conservative; in Bush's first term, that figure rose to 69 percent.

===

It's a hell of a report, even though it only goes up to '05. I've very recently seen a comparative listing of Dem vs. GOP guests on the Sunday morning politics talk shows, and it too showed that the GOP guests outnumbered the Dem guests by a sizeable margin. I can't recall where I saw it, though; if I can find it I'll post it here...

Someone should also note that comparing FoxNews to MSNBC (e.g. "Fox is the right-wing news place, and MSNBC is the left-wing news place) is fairly absurd, considering that MSNBC gives us 3 hours every morning of Joe Scarborough who, while not as far-right as Limbaugh or Hannity and the like, he's still a conservative Republican.

Fox promotes a narrow band of conservatism, and not only in its opinion shows. For example, that segment with Baier (sp?), and Fox & Friends clearly have an axe to grind against anyone to the left of Atilla the Hun.

MSNBC's news programs don't contain nearly the amount or the DEGREE of bias as Fox's do, and the opinion shows are a mixed bag. There's nobody on FoxNews who is as far to the left as Scarborough is to the right.

Mrs Jolly is correct,media should not be taking sides.

While I will admit some are left biased on occasion like Keith Olbermann on MSNBC,that really didn't start IMO untill Fox started with their overwhelming republican right wing slant came along.

And I would agree PBS is far superior then any of the commercial news outlets but don't think most on the right would see it that way.They paint anything that is not overwhelmingly pro-american,pro-buisness,pro white majority as being left wing and biased.

PBS isn't that so they are Liberal/left wing and biased right?:dunno:
I agree but the sad reality is they all have chosen a side and push their stories based on that. Hell even my local newspaper is biased and pushes all of it's stories with a slant. I'm not sure we will ever get back to "just the news".

I try to get my news on Newshour on PBS and BBC News but even they are biased the way all news shows are-position of stories, time spent on the story and who is reporting or interviewed. The difference is I have heard all other media outlets admit that they show their biases in that way but Fox will never admit it. At least Olbermann is upfront about his comments. As long as Fox helps sponsor "Tea Parties" and try to manipulate the stories they aren't really news.

I try to get my news on Newshour on PBS and BBC News but even they are biased the way all news shows are-position of stories, time spent on the story and who is reporting or interviewed. The difference is I have heard all other media outlets admit that they show their biases in that way but Fox will never admit it. At least Olbermann is upfront about his comments. As long as Fox helps sponsor "Tea Parties" and try to manipulate the stories they aren't really news.

So, anyone who believes in limited Federal power is a right-wing biased "nutjob?"

That is absurd. The more I hear people talk these days about how the marvelous Obama and the supra-intelligent people in Congress can fix all of our problems by spending money we don't have on programs they can't run correctly, the more I'm beginning to agree with the "right wing"... they seem to be the much lesser of the two evils at this point in the game.

I never ceased to be amazed at how arrogant so-called open minded "liberals" are in the US. :rolleyes:

Fox News should be shut down for treason

Then you just cleared the field of all of them. They all lie and they all push a point of view. I started adding foreign news outlets to my news sources because so much of the mainstream media especially in America lies and holds things back. You don't realize just how much they keep from people until you start reading some of the foreign newspapers and online web sites. It amazes me that people are so down on Fox News when they are all guilty.

They should all be shut down when they commit or have committed acts of treason

Which foreign news sources do you like to read? I highly recommend Al Jazeera

A lot of tool boxes in this thread.