• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Who is looking forward to Conan O'Brien's show tonight?

How do you reinvigorate a populist comedy uprising that's settled into a complacent lull? Try hiring a blimp, tricking it out with interactive Internet gadgets, and flying it across country. Or perhaps hire a man in a taco suit to dance in front of a live Web cam. Maybe even stuff a stunt car full of popcorn and fireworks and drive it off a cliff.

Conan O'Brien and his new bosses at the Atlanta-based cable network TBS have tried all those stunts—and more—in recent weeks as part of an all-out marketing push to reignite interest in O'Brien's imminent migration to one of the less-edgy networks on cable. The target of this marketing quirkfest is potential viewers, particularly those who frequent Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

Being the late-night headliner at TBS, the erstwhile "Superstation" that was long the purveyor of I Love Lucy reruns and the television home of the Atlanta Braves, is a bit of a comedown from O'Brien's former chair at NBC's (GE) The Tonight Show, the top comedic venue on broadcast TV. That perch brought household-name status to the likes of Steve Allen, Johnny Carson, and Jay Leno—and steady profits to the coffers of the Peacock Network for decades. But in today's fragmented media market, comedians such as Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, who appear on Viacom's (VIA.B) Comedy Central, have shown that the big broadcast networks no longer have a lock on late-night eyeballs.

TBS, which according to The Daily Beast is paying O'Brien $10 million to $15 million annually, is betting it can get similar results from the red-headed comic's 11 p.m. nightly show, Conan, which makes its debut on Nov. 8. "Conan is arguably the biggest broadcast celebrity to come to cable," says Steve Koonin, president of Time Warner's (TWC) Turner Entertainment Networks, which include TNT and TBS. "You look at a lot of networks—they have good shows, but they don't mean something. I'm not talking ratings; I'm talking identity. By aligning with Conan, it gives us an identity that instantly equals comedy, which is what we're trying to be. We think Conan is one of the best brand enhancers in all of television."

O'Brien and longtime sidekick Andy Richter have been on TV hiatus since January when, amid lackluster ratings, NBC executives cut short O'Brien's brief tenure as The Tonight Show's host. The nasty public parting, which cost NBC an exit package estimated to be worth roughly $45 million, touched off a frenzied public backlash. Along the way, O'Brien emerged as a folk hero for the social media set. Google's (GOOG) YouTube exploded with clips of fellow comedians supporting O'Brien and mocking his predecessor-turned-successor and sometimes nemesis, Jay Leno. Fans marched in protest outside of NBC. They uploaded triumphant photos from their Conan love-ins on Tumblr. They pledged allegiance to "Team Coco" on Facebook. O'Brien grew a beard and kept in touch with the faithful on Twitter.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_45/b4202021174712.htm -- More here.

I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out. I think it will be great and hilarious. Hopefully NBC learns a lesson when they lose ratings. Yeah, that's a spiteful statement. I will definitely watch it this week and see if it is worth DVRing after that.

What say you?

It will probably need time just like Conan needed with The Tonight Show. I will definitely watch, I've been waiting since he got let go. NBC got rid of Conan so they can keep Leno, I watched it when Brian "The Beard" Wilson was a guest, ended up watching the entire garbage show, the saving grace was Brian Wilson being absolutely delicious in his performance. I hope on TBS Conan can be more free and have the show more like Late Night rather than his muted efforts on The Tonight Show.

I'll probably watch it, but I have low expectations. It's going to be the same shit on a different channel. As far as late night stuff goes, I'll stick with Craig Ferguson.

It will probably need time just like Conan needed with The Tonight Show.

I wouldn't be so sure. NBC has a fraction of the 18-24 year old viewership that TBS does, (in fact, that's the leading demographic of TBS). I hope he absolutely slaughters NBC, and I'll sure as hell be watching.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
If he brings back Pimpbot5000 that will be epic.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Most definitely. Well, at least until The Colbert Report comes on. I need my daily dose of satire. :D

I think the show will come out full force in the comedy department. Only thing I wonder is if it will be too much and in about a couple weeks become another late night show just on a channel outside the NBC, CBS, and ABC lineups. I hope it keeps momentum and doesn't burn out like tissue paper to a flame.

I think ti should be ok though. At least it will teach NBC and Jay Leno a lesson of don't fuck with O'Brien. And his fans.

I just hope the masturbating bear and the evil puppy make an appearance.

No.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
:1orglaugh Only took him 11 minutes to show the masturbating bear.

:1orglaugh Only took him 11 minutes to show the masturbating bear.

Fucking classic! You could definitely tell he was more relaxed this time around, I never really noticed how toned down he was on The Tonight Show. I was not disappointed with the new show, I love it already.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Well as a guy in Germany, I will have to rely on Youtube ^^

But especially as a fellow gingerhead, I love Conan and will try to find it