• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What is the latest good film you watched ?

91LbNAAfA4L._SL1500_.jpg

Seen this for the first time and loved it. My new favorite movie.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Count me among fans of The Duke. But I've been a fan just as often as I've been a critic of Wayne...personally and professionally. I remember when The Shootist came out in theaters. It was a big deal because it brought together several Hollywood western icons, and especially because it ended up being John Wayne's final movie. I revisited it when I "acquired" a very good quality download. It got a lot of hype. It featured a few television stars at the time as well, plus a director on the rise for helming some popular TV shows and disaster films. I watched it. I get the hype, but this is NOT Wayne's best movie. It's not in the Top 10. It's charming and interesting...bad blood effects and silly spoken lines aside. But it's brief...at barely 1:30. The character development is shallow. I ended up liking Books' character more because it was The Duke than because of the character itself. A short story based on a longer novel that could have been a 30-minute segment on some Western anthology series instead...if not for the aging but stellar cast. Critics loved it. I liked it. But not a whole lot. C+

Showgirls? Really?? I turned if off when Gina Gerson's character had an in-depth discussion with Elizabeth Berkley's about eating Little Friskies hard cat food, if you were poor and desperate for food..

Showgirls? Really?? I turned if off when Gina Gerson's character had an in-depth discussion with Elizabeth Berkley's about eating Little Friskies hard cat food, if you were poor and desperate for food..
I think it's quite enjoyable. Only thing I didn't like was the end of the pool sex scene, where it looks like Berkley has an epileptic seizure...

Steve-FreeOnes

FO Admin / "rude, unnecessary attitude" (he/they)
Staff member
Count me among fans of The Duke. But I've been a fan just as often as I've been a critic of Wayne...personally and professionally. I remember when The Shootist came out in theaters. It was a big deal because it brought together several Hollywood western icons, and especially because it ended up being John Wayne's final movie. I revisited it when I "acquired" a very good quality download. It got a lot of hype. It featured a few television stars at the time as well, plus a director on the rise for helming some popular TV shows and disaster films. I watched it. I get the hype, but this is NOT Wayne's best movie. It's not in the Top 10. It's charming and interesting...bad blood effects and silly spoken lines aside. But it's brief...at barely 1:30. The character development is shallow. I ended up liking Books' character more because it was The Duke than because of the character itself. A short story based on a longer novel that could have been a 30-minute segment on some Western anthology series instead...if not for the aging but stellar cast. Critics loved it. I liked it. But not a whole lot. C+

I rewatched this a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. By and large I prefer Wayne's later westerns, which seem almost apologetic for how racist westerns were. But The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is still his best, I think.

I watched this interesting one today. A total oddity but rather good!