• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What if we lose the moon?

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
I'm not sure how it came up but we were discussing what would happen if we lost the moon. Like it sling shotted off into space or something.

The moon stablizes the earth I've known that and was part of my argument.

http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_earth.html#moonbye
^the link I found discussing the subject of the moon leaving us.

I thought the seas would go ape shit or else be totally still. I don't really know. This link didn't answer my question.

What you all think?

The earth's whole ecosystem is based on lunar cycles. The earth would be in chaos. If the moon leaves I'm going with it.

What do I think? I think you're crazy, Legz. j/k
I suppose that the seas would be relatively still compared to now. I guess wind and weather patterns would still move them around a bit. Personally, I was unaware that the moon stabilizes the Earth. Perhaps the earth might go a little bit topsy turvy if not for the moon. Undoubtedly any change along those lines is likely to be very slow. I wouldn't anticipate any change in the earth's orbit, since that is dictated by the sun solely, I would guess. I wonder if the moon has anything to do with the earth's rotation?

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
Yea I learned something new from my searching for those links about the moon having something to do with the earths rotation.

I went with the chaos theory on my discussion too!

Nice link by the way manny! :thumbsup:

i just learned more about the moon than i wanted to know.. :shocked:

bigbadbrody

Banned
If we lost the moon what would the cow jump over? The sun?

I guess that would simply not happen. Because as long as the Earth revolves around the sun, the moon will revolve around the Earth. If, however, one day the Earth will go its own way, the moon will most possibly disperse in the space or fall down on the Earth or something. But believe me, we all will be dead before it happens =)

^^ you need to read this

"the moon is drifting away from the earth month by month, year by year" :eek:

Bah, it's nonsense. If that would've been true, then the moon was part of the Earth (which it isn't just because there are different molecular elements found on both soils). It fact, the Earth is more closer to Mars, elementally speaking, than it is to the moon.

I watched a show on the science channel about this a year ago. When find what the documentary was called I'll let you guys know. We are losing our moon and scientist had a plan to take one from another planet.

If the moon disappeared:

Pros
No more werewolves.

That pesky alien moonbase that is rumoured to be on the darkside of the moon, will no longer be a potential threat.

Space 1999 will enjoy re-runs on TV.

Cons
No more high tides/flooding

No more dancing in the moonlight.

No-where for Wallace and Gromit to go, for a day out.

oh..and perhaps some minor problems with the earth tumbling off it's axis and causing massive ice-ages or whatever.

If the moon disappeared:

Pros
No more werewolves.

That pesky alien moonbase that is rumoured to be on the darkside of the moon, will no longer be a potential threat.

Space 1999 will enjoy re-runs on TV.

Cons
No more high tides/flooding

No more dancing in the moonlight.

No-where for Wallace and Gromit to go, for a day out.

oh..and perhaps some minor problems with the earth tumbling off it's axis and causing massive ice-ages or whatever.
:thumbsup:You're being serious for once. I would miss werewolves and dancing in the moonlight :)

Bah, it's nonsense. If that would've been true, then the moon was part of the Earth (which it isn't just because there are different molecular elements found on both soils). It fact, the Earth is more closer to Mars, elementally speaking, than it is to the moon.

Actually there is good evidence that much of the moon was indeed part of the earth that collected after the early Earth and another large planetary body Theia collided after it's orbit decayed out of the Earth L5 Lagrangian point and struck a glancing blow to it.