• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What are you reading now?

I just got the Douglas Preston novel Blasphemy. It's about a group of scientists working on a particle accelerator like the LHC. I just started it so I'm not sure where it goes from there, something obviously goes wrong. kinda makes me think of angels and demons.

I've never read anything by the author before, but a friend highly recommended him, and I am really into science, so I picked up that one.

Martin Amis - Money: A Suicide Note, not bad but not really my thing :dunno:

I was thinking of getting either Plague Year by Jeff Carlson or A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, after reading pretty decent reviews on Amazon, has anyone read either of them and want to give me a recomendation? :hatsoff:

About a third of the way through Philip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect, a study of the factors which make good people turn evil. Despite the religious reference in the title, this is a book which mostly focusses on psychology and history. Two key events examined in the book - the Stanford Prison Experiment (Zimbardo led the research team which carried it out) and Abu Ghraib, looking particularly at the power of 'situational' influences as opposed to the pure 'dispositional' approach most people adopt when it comes to establishing blame and responsibility in the face of evil.

http://www.lucifereffect.com/about_synopsis.htm

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
Athena by Lee Hall

It's a biography of Athena and her impact, not only on Greek culture of yesteryear, but her impact on culture as we know it today. I fucking love Athena. If I had to choose a god to worship...it'd be her. :bowdown:

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Howard the Duck,
Marvel Max series.

Decided to acquaint myself with the great comic.. after watching the not-so-great movie. 80s camp, good soundtrack, and OMFG.. Lea Thompson..

Lea fuckin' Thompson

::fives minutes later::

Oh yeah, and.. where was I? Duck.. comics.. yeah. all that.

::runs off to google image search with astroglide nearby:: Lea.. does thompson have a P or no? Hmm.

This Board

The same books, over and over again. Several Cioran and Kierkegaard collections; random-reading; whatever page opens, i read it. Poems of Weldon Kees. A few chapters from Time Regulation Institute, by Tanpinar. Atilgan. Cortazar. Perec.
For a while, thinking of Braudel's massive work on Mediterranean.

Lean out of the window,
Golden-hair,
I hear you singing
A merry air.

My book was closed;
I read no more,
Watching the fire dance
On the floor.

I have left my book,
I have left my room
For I heard you singing
Through the gloom,

Singing and singing
A merry air,
Lean out of the window,
Golden-hair.

James Joyce / Syd Barrett

About a third of the way through Philip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect, a study of the factors which make good people turn evil. Despite the religious reference in the title, this is a book which mostly focusses on psychology and history. Two key events examined in the book - the Stanford Prison Experiment (Zimbardo led the research team which carried it out) and Abu Ghraib, looking particularly at the power of 'situational' influences as opposed to the pure 'dispositional' approach most people adopt when it comes to establishing blame and responsibility in the face of evil.

http://www.lucifereffect.com/about_synopsis.htm

You should read the Lucifer Principle - Howard K Bloom, similar theme to the book your reading but takes more of a scientific approach.

Im reading: The Trial - Franz Kafka

Very good :thumbsup:

A Sideways look at Time by Jay Griffiths. it's a socio/anthropological reflection on how the concept of time flow influences and is influenced by various cultures. It's kind of written from a feminist perspective, so that might turn off some people that are looking for a more objective study.

the Social Contract by Jean-Jaques Rouseau. I never really studied him before, but his name kept popping up in various sources, so I figured I'd check it out. That happens to me a lot, I'll see a book or name cited a bunch and things that I'm looking into will be related to each other in ways that I hadn't intended.

also Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson

Spleen

Banned?
The Road, cant wait for the movie!

I don't know how they could make that into a movie. It's basically like 300 pages of a dude walking around (think Lord of the Rings with no fantasy elements or budget). Character studies usually don't translate very well into films.

Although I could maybe see the guy who did the Children of Men film pulling it off. don't you think? that style could work.

Last edited:
Reading two at the mo.
1. The Traveller , John Twelve Hawks.
Apparently nobody actually knows who this person is? Bollocks I reckon.Just a good marketing ploy with a good book.
2. Wolf Of The Plains, Conn Iggulden. Seriously good stuff that would make a great film if done properly.

The Extended Phenotype - Richard Dawkins, Just picked it up yesterday so have only read about 70 pages, but from what Ive read it seems well written and as with most Dawkins books very informative.