• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What a terribly sad story.

brothers.jpg

2 brothers sentenced to death in separate states

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Rodney Berget lives in a single cell on South Dakota's death row, rarely leaving the tiny room where he awaits execution for bludgeoning a prison guard to death with a pipe during an attempted escape.

For Berget's immediate family, his fate is somewhat familiar. He is the second member of the clan to be sentenced to death. His older brother was convicted in 1987 of killing a man for his car. Roger Berget spent 13 years on Oklahoma's death row until his execution in 2000 at age 39.

The Bergets are not the first pair of siblings to be condemned. Record books reveal at least three cases of brothers who conspired to commit crimes and both got the death penalty. But these two stand out because their crimes were separated by more than 600 miles and 25 years.
"To have it in different states in different crimes is some sort of commentary on the family there," said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, which tracks death penalty trends.

The siblings' journey from the poverty of their South Dakota childhood to stormy, crime-ridden adult lives shows the far-reaching effects of a damaged upbringing — and the years of havoc wrought by two men who developed what the courts called a wanton disregard for human life.

Rodney Berget is scheduled to die later this year, potentially ending the odyssey that began when the two boys were born into a family that already had four kids.

A former prison principal described Rodney as a "throwaway kid" who never had a chance at a productive life. A lawyer for Roger recalled him as an "ugly duckling" with little family support.

The boys were born after the family moved from their failed farm in rural South Dakota to Aberdeen, a city about 20 miles away. Roger arrived in 1960. Rodney came along two years later.
His farming dreams dashed, patriarch Benford Berget went to work for the state highway department. Rosemary Berget took a night job as a bar manager at the local Holiday Inn.

The loss of the farm and the new city life seemed to strain the family and the couple's marriage. When the family moved to town, "things kind of fell apart," Bonnie Engelhart, the eldest Berget sibling, testified in 1987.

Benford Berget, away on business, was rarely around. When he was home, he drank and become physically abusive, lawyers for the brothers later said.
By the 1970s, the couple divorced, and Roger and Rodney started getting into trouble. Roger skipped school. Rodney started stealing. Soon, they were taking cars. Both went to prison for the first time as teens.

Roger Berget enjoyed a rare period of freedom in 1982 and met a woman while hitchhiking. The two started a relationship, and the woman gave birth to a child the next year. But Roger didn't get to see his son often because he was soon behind bars again, this time in Oklahoma. And for a far more sinister crime.

Roger and a friend named Michael Smith had decided to steal a random car from outside an Oklahoma City grocery store. The two men spotted 33-year-old Rick Patterson leaving the store on an October night in 1985. After abducting him at gunpoint, they put Patterson in the trunk and concluded he would have to be killed to prevent him from identifying his captors.

They drove the car to a deserted spot outside the city and shot Patterson in the back of the head and neck, blowing away the lower half of his face.
A year later, Berget pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and was sentenced to death on March 12, 1987. An appeals court threw out a death sentence for Smith, who was later sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Less than three months after Roger was sentenced to death, Rodney Berget, then 25 and serving time for grand theft and escape, joined five other inmates in breaking out of the South Dakota State Penitentiary in Sioux Falls.

The men greased their bodies with lotion, slipped through a hole in an air vent and then cut through window bars in an auto body shop at the prison. Berget was a fugitive for more than a month.

Thirteen years passed before Roger Berget was executed by lethal injection on June 8, 2000. His younger brother was still in prison in South Dakota.

Then in 2002, the younger Berget was released. His sister and her husband threw Rodney his first-ever birthday party when he turned 40.

But the good days were numbered because a year later, he was sentenced to life in prison for attempted murder and kidnapping. He headed back to the South Dakota State Penitentiary — this time for good.

Then Rodney got to talking with a fellow inmate named Eric Robert about a goal they shared: to escape — or die trying.

The plan was months in the making. The inmates figured they would corner a solitary guard — any guard would do — and beat him with a pipe before covering his face with plastic wrap.
Once the guard was dead, Robert would put on the dead man's uniform and push a box with Berget inside as the prison gates opened for a daily delivery. The two would slip through the walls unnoticed.

On the morning of April 12, 2011, the timing seemed perfect. Ronald "R.J." Johnson was alone in a part of the prison where inmates work on upholstery, signs, custom furniture and other projects. Johnson wasn't supposed to be working that day — it was his 63rd birthday. But he agreed to come in because of a scheduling change.

After attacking Johnson, Robert and Berget made it outside one gate. But they were stopped by another guard before they could complete their escape through the second gate. Both pleaded guilty.

In a statement to a judge, Rodney acknowledged he deserved to die.

"I knew what I was doing, and I continued to do it," Berget said. "I destroyed a family. I took away a father, a husband, a grandpa."

His execution, scheduled for September, is likely to be delayed to allow the State Supreme Court time to conduct a mandatory review.

Rodney Berget's lawyer, Jeff Larson, has declined to comment on the case outside of court. Rodney did not respond to letters sent to the penitentiary.

The few members of the Berget family who survive are reluctant to talk about how seemingly normal boys turned into petty criminals and then into convicted killers of the rarest kind: brothers sentenced to death.

Dieter, of the Death Penalty Information Center, said some families of the condemned remain involved in appeals. But others see no reason to preserve connections.

"There's no light at the end of it," he said. "What happens at the end is execution."
___
Follow Kristi Eaton on Twitter at http://twitter.com/kristieaton .

Ugh. This is a wretched story. What chance did these guys have from day one? I know everyone is responsible for their actions, and we all make decisions. But imagine living in what was likely his childhood. It is so hard to escape a trajectory like that.

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
Why is it sad? If they're guilty...

Good question, Maleonetoes.

They deserve what they are gonna get.

Fuck em'......Fucke em' 2x.

Why is it sad? If they're guilty...

Well, for one - several innocent people died because of these those two brothers. And, as was mention above... their lives as children was a train wreck from the git-go.

And believe me, they certainly got what they deserved, but it's still sad that they were raised like animals. I just found it sad that they caused so much pain to so many innocent people.

Well, for one - several innocent people died because of these those two brothers. And, as was mention above... their lives as children was a train wreck from the git-go.

And believe me, they certainly got what they deserved, but it's still sad that they were raised like animals. I just found it sad that they caused so much pain to so many innocent people.
Firstly, plenty of people have shit childhoods and don't grow up to be murderous criminals. Secondly, the death penalty is the most hypocritical fucking bullshit in the modern world, thus, they are not getting what they deserve.

bahodeme

Closed Account
One could argue if someone intervened such as placed them in foster care, etc., the people that killed might still be alive. But there are crossroads that people reach and you choose. Unfortunately, it was the wrong turn they made.

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
I'm sure there was an example of two black brothers who grew up under the same circumstances, but you probaby used that story as an example for why black people killing whites doesn't get enough media coverage.

A sad story indeed. The boys wre born into unfortunate circumstances. Their parents and older siblings were never there to teach them compassion and respect.

How sad is it that the 63 year old man would still be alive if he had just stayed home that day?

Hondarobot

Banned
What exactly is sad regarding these two dumb fucks? A failed farm and a drunk dad? That doesn't equal being excused for killing people. LOL

After reading this I'm actually not opposed to the death penalty in this case.

georges

Staff member
It is not because one has bad parents that he/she must become bad and a danger to the society. I am not going to mourn two criminals.

So, he feels sad over two guys who were obviously guilty and deserved their fates

but believes Trayvon Martin should have been shot and killed before the situation between him and Zimmerman escalated into what it was?

This guy is one strange cookie.

So, he feels sad over two guys who were obviously guilty and deserved their fates

but believes Trayvon Martin should have been shot and killed before the situation between him and Zimmerman escalated into what it was?

This guy is one strange cookie.

Nice try. But you fail. Read the article again.

Ugh. This is a wretched story. What chance did these guys have from day one? I know everyone is responsible for their actions, and we all make decisions. But imagine living in what was likely his childhood. It is so hard to escape a trajectory like that.

Firstly, plenty of people have shit childhoods and don't grow up to be murderous criminals. Secondly, the death penalty is the most hypocritical fucking bullshit in the modern world, thus, they are not getting what they deserve.

You know, seeing the pictures of those guys, then seeing the pictures Sam has posted of himself, I can't help but wonder if their childhoods were similar :dunno:

Yet, Sam's not on death row. Not that he deserves it, I mean, I don't believe he has killed anyone but shows you that just because someone had a shit childhood doesn't automatically mean they'll grow up to be criminals, more likely sure, but not automatically.

Sorry, but I feel not one iota of sadness for these two fuck ups. My sadness goes to the victims and the innocent people on death row. These two idiots got what they deserved.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
You know, seeing the pictures of those guys, then seeing the pictures Sam has posted of himself, I can't help but wonder if their childhoods were similar. :dunno:

That was my assumption too. Seeing as how he tries to present himself as Mr. Hardcore Law & Order in other threads (practicing his quick draw 500 times a day and hiding ammo under the pillows of his couch), one has to think there's probably something about these two dirtballs that makes ol' Sammy have an odd bit of empathy toward them.

From what I've read, the majority of rapists have been sexually abused as children. And there are a LOT of kids who grow up under extremely shitty circumstances in the U.S. I believe that the number of American children growing up in stable, two parent households is now at an all time low. There are probably more throw-away kids now than there have ever been in the U.S. But how often do you see people like ol' Sammy welling up in tears about those kids when they commit a criminal act? Answer: never. I'd say every convict has a sad story to tell. And while this one is sad too, it's certainly not unique. So why would this one bother me more than any other? :dunno:

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
awaits execution for bludgeoning a prison guard to death with a pipe during an
attempted escape.

Many people kill and do not get the death penalty. Why is this guard's life any better? Jeffery Dahmer did not get the death penalty.

New rule: kill or rape someone and you die. No more playing favorites.

What a deliciously misleading thread title. Innocent people dying, yes that's sad - Men responsible for it being put to death, happy ending.

Hondarobot

Banned
The only aspect of this story that's even remotely interesting is how apparently inept the South Dakota prison system is. The first brother, while serving a murder sentence, slipped through an air vent and cut some window bars. That's even cliche by really, really, really bad b-movie standards. Nobody at the prison thought someone might attempt that?

The second brothers plan is even more bizarre, although he only made it past the first the gate (by hiding in a box). I suspect that Dudley Do-Right has finally been kicked off the Mounties and emigrated to the U.S. where he is now the warden of StuperMax, South Dakota.

They'll next probably botch the execution, shooting the guys shackles off instead, and then release him because nobody can figure out how to reload the "Death Musket".

:confused: