• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Use phrases correctly

"Near miss."

So you almost missed but actually hit? How about Near Hit?

A phrase I always didn't understand is the use of "irregardless". (Edit - Looks like somebody already beat me in bringing it up though.)

7. The exception that proves the rule
What you think it means: Any counterexample to a rule proves the rule. For example, if you said you only date blondes, but somebody pointed out the time you dated a brunette, you might say that it is "the exception that proves the rule." This popular usage makes no sense at all.
What it actually means: The idiom actually does make sense -- but you have to think about it along the lines of the exception proves that a rule exists. For example," No parking on Saturdays" would mean that you can park in the spot any other day of the week.

I think what most people think about when that statement is said is that while technically something might be an exception and the statement is not correct in it's most literal meaning, is that an "exception that proves the rule" is an exception that is so very noteworthy for being an exception for the very fact an exception that that situation is so rare or very extremely hard to achieve.

In essence it's a expression, not a word or phrase out of ignorance, used to convey the idea that just because somebody or something very inexplicably somehow managed to become an exception that shouldn't discount or diminish the "rule" that the exception was based on. If anything it should show how strong the rule is by the fact the extremely rare exception can become so noteworthy because it is an exception. If it was commonplace or the rule wasn’t that strong people wouldn’t notice the exceptions that much.

At least that's the way I have always viewed that statement. It was never meant to be taken literally.

^ haha

Anyways, I could care less.:tongue:

Just sayin'.:wave2:

I've argued that one and I will continue to do so.

I say "I could care less."

It means "Right now I don't care but if I thought about it more I might actually care even less."

Get it?

:cool:

If you cared a little, than you could care less. If you didn't care at all, than you could not care any less as it is not yet been demonstrated that a person can care to a negative degree.

My head just literally exploded after I read that.

Also, I keep saying people say, "VAT tax". Just like PIN number, that's retarded. When people say, "VAT tax," they're saying, "value added tax tax". Like when people say "The La Cosa Nostra". I hate that shit.

The one that always used to piss me off the most was the baseball team "The Los Angeles Angels".

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
But...I use those phrases all the time.

Screw you're correctness! :thefinger I'm not about to change.

i have noticed that many people write "would of" instead of "would have".

That is probably my biggest pet peeve of all the grammatical mistakes people make. That's about 2nd grade English right there, and far too many people don't actually realize they're saying "would have" instead of "would of".

I'd actually like to append two things to this list as well:

1. The difference between "you're" and "your".

You're - contraction of "you" and "are". Used in situations where those two words would grammatically make sense.

Your - possessive pronoun. For example your dog. Far too many people write things like "your an idiot", which really goes to show their nescience for grammar in general.

2. The difference between there, their, and they're.

There - an adverb referring to a place, either directly or indirectly.

Their - possessive pronoun. For example, their bike, their car, their food. Many, many people make the same mistake with this word as they do with "your".

They're - contraction of "they" and "are". Functions as a verb in conversation, not a pronoun.

Just needed to put that out there.

That is probably my biggest pet peeve of all the grammatical mistakes people make. That's about 2nd grade English right there, and far too many people don't actually realize they're saying "would have" instead of "would of".

You're - contraction of "you" and "are". Used in situations where those two words would grammatically make sense.

Your - possessive pronoun. For example your dog. Far too many people write things like "your an idiot", which really goes to show their nescience for grammar in general.

Their - possessive pronoun. For example, their bike, their car, their food. Many, many people make the same mistake with this word as they do with "your".

They're - contraction of "they" and "are". Functions as a verb in conversation, not a pronoun.

You should definitely take a look at this right here. :thumbsup:

Family Guy

Lois: For a moment, I half-expected to come home and find out you had sold the house.

Peter: How do you "half-expect" something?

Lois: It's just a turn of phrase.

Peter: What's a turn of phrase?

Lois: God, you're dumb. Thank God for that ass.

Any time you can substitute "you are" in your sentence, use you're. Otherwise, it's usually "your".

The same applies to "Bill and I" and "Me and Bill." People have trouble with that, but the key is to think about the sentence without Bill.

Me and Bill went to the store=

Me went to the store.

or

She gave a dollar to Bill and I=

She gave a dollar to I.

When you try that, it's easy to correct.

Family Guy

Lois: For a moment, I half-expected to come home and find out you had sold the house.

Peter: How do you "half-expect" something?

Lois: It's just a turn of phrase.

Peter: What's a turn of phrase?

Lois: God, you're dumb. Thank God for that ass.

Ha! I was thinking about that scene since the thread got started.

That's because people are equating would've with would of. I don't think I ever do this, but with all the drunken posting I've done on the forum, maybe before.

My biggest are they're, their and there.