• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

UN resolution: Israel must renounce nuclear arms

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
Be interesting to see what becomes of this. It's understandable with the Israelis having nuclear weapons that other countries in the region like Iran would see it necessary to also have them. Unfortunately the resolution is not legally binding.

http://news.yahoo.com/un-assembly-calls-israel-join-nuclear-treaty-174032033.html

UN resolution: Israel must renounce nuclear arms
Associated Press
By ALEXANDRA OLSON 1 hour ago

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly approved an Arab-backed resolution Tuesday calling on Israel to renounce possession of nuclear weapons and put its nuclear facilities under international oversight.

The resolution, adopted in a 161-5 vote, noted that Israel is the only Middle Eastern country that is not party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. It called on Israel to "accede to that treaty without further delay, not to develop, produce test or otherwise acquire nuclear weapons, to renounce possession of nuclear weapons" and put its nuclear facilities under the safeguard of the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency.

The United States and Canada were among four countries that joined Israel in opposing the measure, while 18 countries abstained.

Israel is widely considered to possess nuclear arms but declines to confirm it.

The resolution, introduced by Egypt, echoed a similar Arab-backed effort that failed to gain approval in September at the Vienna-based IAEA. At the time, Israel criticized Arab countries for undermining dialogue by repeatedly singling out the Jewish state in international arenas. Israel's U.N. Mission did not immediately return a request for comment Tuesday.

The U.N. resolution, titled "The risk of nuclear proliferation in the Middle East," pushed for the establishment of a nuclear weapons-free zone in the Middle East and lamented that U.S.-backed efforts to convene talks were abandoned in 2012.

Israel has long argued that a full Palestinian-Israeli peace plan must precede any creation of a Mideast zone free of weapons of mass destruction. The country also argues that Iran's alleged work on nuclear arms is the real regional threat. Iran denies pursuing such weapons.

General Assembly resolutions are not legally binding but carry moral weight because it is the only body where all 193 U.N. member states are represented.

U.S. representative Robert Wood, in voting against the resolution at the committee-level last month, said the measure "fails to meet the fundamental tests of fairness and balance. It confines itself to expressions of concern about the activities of a single country."

Wood said the U.S. will continue pushing a Middle East free of weapons of mass destructions, but he warned that such resolutions only undermine prospects for progress.

Moral equivalence in da hiz-ouse.

Israel's nuclear weapons program is for peaceful purposes, just like Iran's.

So Israel is a nuclear-armed state (unofficially). So right now it has the decided edge in that regard. Yet it's enemies still remain on the map. Imagine the opposite.

Moral equivalence in da hiz-ouse.

Israel's nuclear weapons program is for peaceful purposes, just like Iran's.
Then I wonder why the US don't push for bombing Tel Aviv. Israel being in possession of such weapons is a destabilisng factor for the whole region

Then I wonder why the US don't push for bombing Tel Aviv. Israel being in possession of such weapons is a destabilisng factor for the whole region

1948 was such a peaceful time in that region. Shit was stable.

Israel having nuclear weapons is a total stabilizing factor. They're guaranteed not to use them unless their existence is threatened. Can you say the same about the ayatollahs in Iran? Or the Muslim Brotherhood when they controlled Egypt? Or the Islamic Caliphate (they're printing their own money now)? Huh? What was that?

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
Israel being in possession of such weapons is a destabilisng factor for the whole region

When Israel is considered "special" playing by a different set of rules and standards than others what type of real credibility do we have at the negotiation table with countries like Iran? I don't want Iran getting a nuclear bomb either but I understand why they would want it. If Iran gets the bomb then the Saudis will want one too. If there were some way of de-nuking the area in the early stages that might be better than waiting.

But Iran isn't seeking nuclear weapons. So this is all a moot point.

In remarks broadcast on state TV, Khamenei said atomic weapons do not bring power but that Iran's achievements in nuclear technology, including proficiency in the nuclear fuel cycle from extracting uranium ore to producing nuclear fuel, have brought dignity and pride to the nation.

Khamenei, who has the final say on all state matters in Iran, also said that western powers know "we are not seeking nuclear weapons because the Islamic Republic of Iran considers possession of nuclear weapons a sin ... and believes that holding such weapons is useless, harmful and dangerous".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/feb/22/iran-supreme-leader-nuclear-weapons-denial

See? It's a sin.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Israel's Worst-Kept Secret

Is the silence over Israeli nukes doing more harm than good?

Israel has a substantial arsenal of nuclear weapons.

Former CIA Director Robert Gates said so during his 2006 Senate confirmation hearings for secretary of defense, when he noted—while serving as a university president—that Iran is surrounded by “powers with nuclear weapons,” including “the Israelis to the west.” Former President Jimmy Carter said so in 2008 and again this year, in interviews and speeches in which he pegged the number of Israel’s nuclear warheads at 150 to around 300.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-nuclear-weapons-secret-united-states/380237/

Samson Option Link

The Guardian - "We possess several hundred atomic warheads and rockets and can launch them at targets in all directions, perhaps even at Rome. Most European capitals are targets for our air force.... Our armed forces, however, are not the thirtieth strongest in the world, but rather the second or third. We have the capability to take the world down with us. And I can assure you that that will happen before Israel goes under." - Martin Levi van Creveld, is professor of military history at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

What?

They threatened to nuke cities and countries.

Also, they threatened to nuke the world before they lose Israel.

That makes them a terror to the world.

As stupid as your claim is, let's go through the logic. That would only apply if Israel was was being annihilated. So ... don't annihilate Israel and crisis averted? Does that make any sense?

Or they could just go to the ovens in peace.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
As stupid as that claim is, let's go through the logic. That would only apply if Israel was was being annihilated. So ... don't annihilate Israel and crisis averted? Does that make any sense?

They said it.

If one group or country is attacking them, they should not destroy the world.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
I love it when Will E Himmler gets involved with threads about Israel.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Give them all nukes and let them point them at each other. Last man standing.

Mayhem

Banned
The Guardian - "We possess several hundred atomic warheads and rockets and can launch them at targets in all directions, perhaps even at Rome. Most European capitals are targets for our air force.... Our armed forces, however, are not the thirtieth strongest in the world, but rather the second or third. We have the capability to take the world down with us. And I can assure you that that will happen before Israel goes under."- Martin Levi van Creveld, is professor of military history at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

What?

They threatened to nuke cities and countries.

Also, they threatened to nuke the world before they lose Israel.

That makes them a terror to the world.

They said it.

If one group or country is attacking them, they should not destroy the world.

Gawd, you people are deeliteful. I'm never going on vacation again.

One crackpot perfesser makes one crackpot perfesser remark and Will is building bombshelters in Rome. :clap:

Will E. Worm, you complete me. :rolleyes:

As stupid as your claim is, let's go through the logic. That would only apply if Israel was was being annihilated. So ... don't annihilate Israel and crisis averted? Does that make any sense?

You honestly think that doesn't make them, or you sound any less psycho?