• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

UN asks Texas to commute Mexican's death sentence

Juliuscaesar

Closed Account
Humberto Leal Garcia was convicted of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl in Texas in February 1998 and his conviction was upheld the following year, a spokesman for United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said.

"We understand that the execution of Mr. Leal Garcia is now set for Thursday, 7 July. The governor of Texas still has the power to commute the sentence to life imprisonment. The High Commissioner has written to him directly requesting him to do so," her spokesman Rupert Colville told a news briefing.

At the time of his arrest, Leal Garcia was not informed of his right under international law to have consular assistance from Mexican authorities which, as a foreign national, he is entitled to under the Vienna Convention, he said.

"The lack of consular assistance and advice raises concerns about whether or not Mr. Leal Garcia's right to a fair trial was fully upheld," Colville said.

The case also raised questions about U.S. compliance with a 2004 ruling by the International Court of Justice, he said.

The court ruled that as a remedy for violating the Vienna Convention, the United States must provide "review and reconsideration" of Leal Garcia's conviction and sentence, according to the U.N. spokesman.

Colville, asked about U.S. authorities failing to inform foreign nationals about their consular rights, replied: "It's a continuous problem. It is also a problem between the federal and state level in the United States.

"I think that at the federal level there is recognition that the problem exists, but at the state level tends to be where the difficulty lies."

Dozens of former U.S. law enforcement officials and ex-diplomats appealed last month for the execution of Leal, now 38, to be blocked arguing that it would put Americans at risk in prosecutions abroad.

Mexico's ambassador to the United States, Arturo Sarukhan, has also asked that the execution be stopped.

A spokeswoman for Texas Governor Rick Perry told Reuters last month that "the governor would have to receive a favorable recommendation from the Board of Pardons and Paroles to consider the clemency requested."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/07/01/us-mexico-rights-idUKTRE7602ND20110701

He raped and murdered a 16 year old in a jurisdiction with the death penalty.:dunno:

Maybe in his next life he'll make wiser choices but he's fucked off this one. Texas should proceed in executing his sentence.

so why should other countries listen to the UN when the US makes requests like this on their behalf (Iran, China, etc)?

As far as I know the US doesn't try to intercede when it's citizens are fairly charged and convicted in other countries.

Now of course if some journalist is detained, held and accused of being a US spy...the US rightfully would argue that as it knows what individuals are acting in it's behalf.

Juliuscaesar

Closed Account
so why should other countries listen to the UN when the US makes requests like this on their behalf (Iran, China, etc)?

Well the UN just appointed North Korea to head the U.N. Conference on Disarmament

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/north-korea-head-un-conference-disarmament_575920.html

What's it been, nearly 13 years since this punk raped and murdered that 16 year old girl?She would have been 29 today, perhaps she would have had a family, who knows?And Hot Mega is right, Texas should proceed in executing this POS.

She would have been 29 today, perhaps she would have had a family, who knows?
ScreenShot065.jpg

rape and murder doesn't illicit the death penalty in most states. Looks like his home government just wants extradition to serve his sentence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

"fair" by who's standard?
It didn't say the Mexican government wanted the guy to go free

I didn't say that I don't understand why countries who don't believe in the death penalty would try to appeal for leniency. To that point I understand why the US would try to intercede on behalf of one of it's citizens in a punishment it doesn't agree with.

That doesn't mean in either case the US or another country has a leg to stand on.

If this guy committed a crime for which another country's citizens would be subject to caning ...then that's his just punishment according to their laws IMo.
rape and murder doesn't illicit the death penalty in most states. Looks like his home government just wants extradition to serve his sentence

Dude..you state that so cavalierly....SOMEONE WAS RAPED THEN MURDERED!!! Other states SHOULD execute people for rape and murder IMO.

If his execution isn't about rape and murder what should it be about??

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
The UN... Who cares what they say or want. :dunno:

It is time for him to go. He should have been put down a long time ago.

They should electrocute him. :Flame:

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
If I was the Governor of Texas, I would laugh uproariously at the UN's request, I would then urinate on the letter from the UN...then I would personally put a bullet in the offending scumbags head, ignoring any time he may have left, and disregarding his right to a last meal, and any request to visit with a religious figure....filming it all, for a pay per view special, the proceeds of which would go to the young ladies family.

On one hand I don't believe in capital punishment on a moral and ethical level with the way the modern first world places can safely and adequately lock up people reliably for life with little risk of them hurting others. It just a form of vengeance now.

On the other hand I don't think the US or any state should just change it's punishment issued under a court of law just because the UN or some other countries ask for it or don't like it. It should only be changed on the cases own merits.

On one hand I don't believe in capital punishment on a moral and ethical level with the way the modern first world places can safely and adequately lock up people reliably for life with little risk of them hurting others. It just a form of vengeance now.

On the other hand I don't think the US or any state should just change it's punishment issued under a court of law just because the UN or some other countries ask for it or don't like it. It should only be changed on the cases own merits.

Would you favor 7 days a week of seriously hard labor, 16 hours a day? I'd probably settle for that. ;) Personally I don't think I could ever inject anyone with juice, hang them or electrocute their sorry asses. So yeah, I am a bit of a hypocrite on that level.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
A spokeswoman for Texas Governor Rick Perry told Reuters last month that "the governor would have to receive a favorable recommendation from the Board of Pardons and Paroles to consider the clemency requested."

Since every single one of the member on the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles is a Rick Perry appointee, there isn't much likelihood that Mr. Garcia will receive much consideration due to the appeal from the UN (or anyone else for that matter). I'll tell you one thing...he damn sure picked the wrong state in which to commit that type of crime if he is indeed guilty. We don't cotton to the likes of Mr. Garcia down here in Texas so my guess is he's a dead man walking and the question as to whether his rights were violated will be quickly brushed aside and the poison will flow on July 7th just up the road from me in Huntsville, TX at Ellis Unit One.