• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Ultimate Sci-Fi Ships

Re: Babylon 5 was the first, major Sci Fi series done CGI ...

Here is another one from The Last Starfighter. It is called The Gunstar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:The_Last_Starfighter_2.jpg

You mean the Next Generation Romulan large capital ship? Or the Klingon adaptation from the Krik movies?

If you like the former, then you'll probably love the Human-Mimbari (and latter Interstellar Alliance) Ranger White Star frigate sized cap ship. Especially if you ever watch Babylon 5 which was the first major Sci Fi show to use use CGI exclusively, and the motions and rendering was never seen before in the genre.

whitestar_8x6.jpg

As an engineer, Babylon 5's first-ever use of total CGI was really cool to me, because it was the first Sci Fi series to use real, actual principles of Newtonian physics, without artificial gravity (at least for Humans, among others), which were pretty much left to rare Sci Fi movies (like 2001 and 2010 at the time).

You have to watch Babylon 5 to understand what I mean when I talk about the Earth Alliance Star Fury fighter. The pilot is "standing up," which is actually ideal for many things, as legs are great shock absorbers and there is no gravity going on. The Star Fury had limited attitude control, but to reverse thrust more than a little, it had to turn around. That meant, for the first (and finally damn time) a space craft actually acted like a real space craft, the attitude vector did not match the velocity vector, unlike every other Sci Fi show that "flew like airplanes" in space.

Wanna blow holes all along the side of a capital ship? Thrust vector parallel and alongside of it, then turn 90 degrees and start shooting. You are facing directly at the side of the ship, but you're traveling parallel to it -- shooting all down its side as you travel. What a concept, real, Newtonian physics for once!

Probably the coolest thing about Star Furies is when they launch from the rotating Babylon 5 station. The station is rotating, and at a good rate for 0.8Gs or whatever it is. So the pilot "walks" into the Fury, which is parallel to the rotation, so gravity seems normal. Then the launch arm rotates it 90 degrees outward, so it's now completely perpendicular to rotation. What does that mean? To launch the Fury fighter, all the station has to do is release the docking clamp. Centrifugal force "throws" the fighter out, perpendicular to the station.

furyiso.jpg

Likewise, the main Earth Alliance capital ship, Omega Class Destroyers, had a central, rotating section for artificial gravity. In the pre-equal movie In the Beginning, you can see bridge personnel "sitting on the ceiling" to maximize cabin usage. Why? Because there is no gravity. You'll also see personnel "strapped in," again, for the same reasons.

Also, there is no "launch" of the fighters from the Omega, because the bay is already in 0G. That's why you see the Furies "convoy out" in close proximity when leave the way, because there is no "launch," just Furies moving out on their own power. Again, this may not seem interesting or facinating to most people, but to an engineer, it's everything -- or at least it was in 1994 when every Sci Fi show used and assumed artificial gravity.

omeg_persp.jpg

Image renderings from: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/b5/b5tech.htm

There are also more Babylon 5 models from Ship Schematics: http://www.shipschematics.net/b5/

fighter_starfury.jpg

Sorry, I noticed someone else posted this after I made the reply!

Still my favorite, after all NOBODY can catch this thing!!!

(Wash is THE MAN!)

I loved the look and feel of the Serenity, kind of like that old car you get attached to, and was as much a character in the show and movie as any of the people, in fact, at least two of the episodes of the TV show used Serenity as a main character, central to the story. How about THIS shot.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/wallpapers/users/foomandoonian_01_1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
Originality? Not anymore, eh?

Anyone looking forward to Stargate Universe?

Sounds like they are taking the Voyager plot and apply it to the Stargate universe.

Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoyed the majority of Stargate's originality over, say, Star Trek (not including The Original Series, TOS, which stands on its own).
It's one of the things that I loved about Babylon 5, a new spin on sci-fi.
Of course, even B5 finally dipped into cliche and "done before" content when they started new series and movies.

But if they are just going to rehash a similar plot to another sci-fi show, that gets old.
Heck, one thing I always loved about Stargate SG-1 was the fact that they often made fun of the fact that sometimes their plots were a little too similar to an already done sci-fi series or episode.