• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Traditional Male Circumcision - Ulwaluko

BlkHawk

Closed Account
I have heard of female circumcision in some cultures, and like most believe it to be a practice that needs to end. There are those who also advocate bringing an end to male circumcision I am somewhat on the fence there, but as I grow older i tend to agree this proceed urge is also unneeded, though it at least is less harmful than female circumsicion, or so I thought.

Ulwaluko is a traditional rite of passage to manhood for some groups in South Africa, it is every bit as brutal as the female version. It involves cutting the foreskin with a spear, and secluding the young men for a month with limited food, water, and no modern medical care.

Nearly 900 young mean have died from this, since the mid 90's and possibly double that number have had amputations. The doctor that created the below site request that visitors share this information with others, in hopes of bringing about awareness and change.

http://www.ulwaluko.co.za/Home.html

If you do visit the site I recommend reading the articles, but avoiding the photo section, unless you are familer with viewing medical photos.

bahodeme

Closed Account
Even under best conditions bad things can happen. I'm sure nothing was sterilized, I wonder did they even get the tribal medicine for pain or, to be a man, you just dealt with the pain.

Instead of circumcision I wish dick stretching was a widespread custom. You know like those tribal women with the rings and elongated necks?

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have minded dick stretching without my consent.

bahodeme

Closed Account
I don't think any men should be Circumcised unless its their choice. Seems like such a weird and outdated tradition.

Totally agree, It should be a free decision or a medical recommendation.
Most of the time this is done by toddler age so there is no free decision involved. During the "dark ages" when mine was done, the thought process was that it was done as early as possible because babies were neurologically underdeveloped and only had to be put to sleep, but nothing for pain. This was also why a lot children died from surgery in the past due to cardiac arrest. According to my parents, I was in a catatonic state for a little over a day. I wouldn't cry or eat, just a blank stare.

Deepcover

Closed Account
Most of the time this is done by toddler age so there is no free decision involved. During the "dark ages" when mine was done, the thought process was that it was done as early as possible because babies were neurologically underdeveloped and only had to be put to sleep, but nothing for pain. This was also why a lot children died from surgery in the past due to cardiac arrest. According to my parents, I was in a catatonic state for a little over a day. I wouldn't cry or eat, just a blank stare.

Really? My mom thought I just won the lottery when I got that extra skin off

bahodeme

Closed Account
I would be in a catatonic state too if someone tried to cut off a piece of my vagina *hugs*
Thanks for the hug. I needed that when it was actually done.

Really? My mom thought I just won the lottery when I got that extra skin off
I was less than 6 months old when it happened. I'm pretty sure that the gave you enough drugs so that it wasn't as traumatic. In the late 70's - early '80's is when pediatric surgery changed for the better as far as pain management.

Deepcover

Closed Account
I was less than 6 months old when it happened. I'm pretty sure that the gave you enough drugs so that it wasn't as traumatic. In the late 70's - early '80's is when pediatric surgery changed for the better as far as pain management.

I see...:dunno:

BlkHawk

Closed Account
but who are a bunch of Americans to tell some Afircan tribe what they can and can not do? If they want to slice at their junk with unsterilized knives, then let them.

The site in question was created by a doctor who practices there, he doesn't want to end the tradition just use modern methods to avoid infection. Desmond Tutu is one of the lead opponents to the practice. As to why Americans should get involved compassion? If that isn't enough money and health, female circumcision increases the risk of HIV/AIDS infection during sexual intercourse, this form of male circumcision does the same, by using unsterilized blades.

We fund HIV/AIDS treatment in Africa as well as other parts of the world. You and others may ask why are we funding treatment half way around the world for disease? Answer: Smallpox. We and other wealthy nations funded smallpox vaccinations all over the world in the 60's and 70's. Result: it doesn't exist anymore in the wild, completely removed from nature, a disease that killed billions of humans over thousands of years, wiped out.

Female circumcision traveled to the West with immigration, I imagine if this practice hasn't yet, it will, if raising awareness of it can help the people of South Africa convert their tradition to use modern medicine, and sterilized equipment all the better.

BlkHawk

Closed Account
Also many of the men involved are not willing participants, they are forced to participate through, family and society pressure. Some uncircumcised men have actually been beaten to death.