• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Tea Party Isn’t a Political Movement, It’s a Religious One

Now for the phony scare tactics by the Tea Party, here is one on Social Security adding to the deficit.

Myth No. 4: Social Security adds to the deficit
Social Security can't add to the deficit, because it has its own funding source (Social Security payroll taxes) and isn't allowed to spend any money it doesn't have. Much of the confusion comes from the fact that under federal accounting practices Social Security is represented in the consolidated federal budget, as well as from the fact that Social Security's trust fund, like many insurance funds, invests in Treasury bonds. (Bonds are debt investments.)

The exception has been the payroll tax holiday, which lowered payroll taxes starting in January 2011 in order to stimulate the economy. During that period, the federal government made up the lost revenue to Social Security that would have been collected. The holiday is expected to end next year.

Paul Ryan wants to use the bible and Ayn Rand where the Gov does shit and society through charity helps the old and poor.

However we are all not willing to do what the bible says and give 10% of our income to charity. That why the Gov does it.

Maybe if we stop playing world cop for oil, find energy alternative (Like don't commute 60 miles both way to work 5 days a week and live close to your job) and go back to the Monroe Doctrine we can cut the debt with the waste our military does in the world.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Let's all get real here. Actual comparisons of the tea-partiers with jihadists and the Taliban are a bit far-fetched. What they do share in common is intolerance for dissent and the unyielding belief that it's their way or the highway....there is no middle ground and no opportunity for compromise. To spend much time and effort arguing otherwise is silly and just not true.

The dude in Virginia who unseated Eric Cantor. He's a college professor (so he's smart right?) and he got no support from the major tea party groups (not because they didn't support his cause but they thought he had no chance to win) and he was even accused by his opponent as being a "liberal." He's not religious right yet he defeated the friggin' house majority leader as a "tea party" candidate.

He's not "religious right"? Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of "religious right" is. To me, anyone who makes the merging of Christianity and capitalism a central theme of their political philosophy unquestionably qualifies as being "religious right".

http://time.com/2860967/david-brats-biblical-views-shape-his-tea-party-politics/

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you meant that he was actually "religious wrong" instead?? :dunno: :1orglaugh

Let's all get real here. Actual comparisons of the tea-partiers with jihadists and the Taliban are a bit far-fetched. What they do share in common is intolerance for dissent and the unyielding belief that it's their way or the highway....there is no middle ground and no opportunity for compromise. To spend much time and effort arguing otherwise is silly and just not true.

He's not "religious right"? Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of "religious right" is. To me, anyone who makes the merging of Christianity and capitalism a central theme of their political philosophy unquestionably qualifies as being "religious right".

http://time.com/2860967/david-brats-biblical-views-shape-his-tea-party-politics/

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you meant that he was actually "religious wrong" instead?? :dunno: :1orglaugh

Fine. I just don't see him in the same mold as a Pat Robertson or of that ilk. To be honest, I was more impressed seeing him in post-win interviews (the first I ever saw of him) talking about his economic policies and the people having more access to their elective representatives (Cantor's downfall) and that he was a small college economics professor who was outraised 5 mil to 200k yet still beat a republican incumbent and house majority leader. If that's not grass roots what is? If he wants to merge his religious beliefs with capitalism then fine. Capitalism f'n rocks. That is what makes this country exceptional. But the Tea Party is still not a religious movement.

Jagger69

Fine. I just don't see him in the same mold as a Pat Robertson or of that ilk.

I don't either. I do, however, see him in the same mold as those who allow their Christian faith to be the hallmark of the formation of their political beliefs. Let me emphasize that I believe that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that....as long as they don't try to actually incorporate that faith into the fabric of the government. That's where the problem manifests itself. How ironic that tea-partiers always claim that they are constitutionalists when the imposition of any religious philosophy into the fabric of the government is, by its very nature, unconstitutional.

Their primary focus isn't on social issues but on fiscal ones.

Here in Texas, their main issues are immigration, abortion, gay rights, guns and health care....all social issues. The fiscal issues are important to them only as they apply to the elimination of unwanted social programs as Johan referred to in a prior post.

I think this is turning into an argument over semantics. Is the tea-party movement really a full-fledged religious movement (like one that could actually qualify for tax-exempt status)? Unequivocally not. Is the foundation of its core beliefs based largely on Christian ideology? I don't think there is any doubt about that either.

Gay marriage, voting rights, and abortions seem pretty social to me.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
No, not at all.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
When the Tea Party was first starting to pick up momentum I joined the local chapter's online forum, which was being run by a young lady that received some notoriety during the 2008 presidential campaign after she got a visit from the Secret Service over the details of a phone conversation with an Obama campaign worker. She ended up banning me from the forum after I started asking questions regarding the Tea Party positions on social issues, she took exception to the email address I used to register, as well (rootchoke@someisp.com). It was perfectly clear that these people who were claiming to be non-partisan were, in fact, extremely partisan, more partisan than ever, actually. Nothing but Bush neo-cons that tried to rebrand themselves, only the naive fall for their shit.

Somewhat:

There have long been considerations of the religious make-up of the Tea Party. Here’s an article from ABC News last year, and another from NPR in 2010, both of which cite the use of religious rhetoric – even apocalyptic themes. But the two articles yesterday are the first I’ve seen that characterize the movement itself as a religion.

But the true rhetoric of The Tea Party:

“What the understandably beleaguered citizens of this new modern order want is a pristine variety of America that feels like the one they grew up in. They want truths that ring without any timbre of doubt. They want root-and-branch reform – to the days of the American Revolution. And they want all of this as a pre-packaged ideology, preferably aligned with re-written American history, and reiterated as a theater of comfort and nostalgia. They want their presidents white and their budget balanced now. That balancing it now would tip the whole world into a second depression sounds like elite cant to them; that America is, as a matter of fact, a coffee-colored country – and stronger for it – does not remove their desire for it not to be so; indeed it intensifies their futile effort to stop immigration reform. And given the apocalyptic nature of their view of what is going on, it is only natural that they would seek a totalist, radical, revolutionary halt to all of it, even if it creates economic chaos, even if it destroys millions of jobs, even though it keeps millions in immigration limbo, even if it means an unprecedented default on the debt.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/paperbacktheology/2013/10/the-tea-party-as-religion.html

the original co-founder of the Tea Party, Marc Meckler, quit the group a few years ago because it was not meant to be a right or a left leaning group. it was a common core for all Americans and he now openly comes out against what it has become because it exemplifies what he was fighting against

local politics aside, this sprang out of a national movement and it was fiscally based. Taxed Enough Already.

That right there shows how stupid they are, because in 2009 when they were gaining momentum, federal tax rates were at historic lows. If they really are about tax, then they are the stupidest movement in history.

Jagger69

Somewhat:

OK....so where are the articles to which you refer?

I'm sorry, but blogs don't get much traction as factual sources of information so I'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that.

Look, I am as anti-tea party as anyone you'll meet. However, to cite questionable sources or not cite any at all is strictly conjecture and is meaningless unless there are facts to back up the claims. Show me the facts, please.

OK....so where are the articles to which you refer?

I'm sorry, but blogs don't get much traction as factual sources of information so I'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that.

Look, I am as anti-tea party as anyone you'll meet. However, to cite questionable sources or not cite any at all is strictly conjecture and is meaningless unless there are facts to back up the claims. Show me the facts, please.

I agree blogs are not creditable sources, but after reading the author makes sense to me from something MSNBC would put up on the net.

Will check for other opinions like the Wall Street Journal (even though Murdock owns it, they still stay independent in their writing) types and will post links if I find some with the correlation of religion and the Tea Party.

The Tea Party does not have a single uniform agenda. The decentralized character of the Tea Party, with its lack of formal structure or hierarchy, allows each autonomous group to set its own priorities and goals. Goals may conflict, and priorities will often differ between groups. Many Tea Party organizers see this as a strength rather than a weakness, as decentralization has helped to immunize the Tea Party against co-opting by outside entities and corruption from within.

The Tea Party has generally sought to avoid placing too much emphasis on traditional conservative social issues. National Tea Party organizations, such as the Tea Party Patriots and FreedomWorks, have expressed concern that engaging in social issues would be divisive. Instead, they have sought to have activists focus their efforts away from social issues and focus on economic and limited government issues. Still, many groups like Glenn Beck's 9/12 Tea Parties, TeaParty.org, the Iowa Tea Party and Delaware Patriot Organizations do act on social issues such as abortion, gun control, prayer in schools, and illegal immigration.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
The Tea Party does not have a single uniform agenda. The decentralized character of the Tea Party, with its lack of formal structure or hierarchy, allows each autonomous group to set its own priorities and goals. Goals may conflict, and priorities will often differ between groups. Many Tea Party organizers see this as a strength rather than a weakness, as decentralization has helped to immunize the Tea Party against co-opting by outside entities and corruption from within.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_movement

Al-Qaeda's management philosophy has been described as "centralization of decision and decentralization of execution." It is thought that al-Qaeda's leadership, following the War on Terror, has "become geographically isolated", leading to the "emergence of decentralized leadership" of regional groups using the al-Qaeda "brand".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda

Nice to see where they take their inspiration.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
When the Tea Party was first starting to pick up momentum I joined the local chapter's online forum, which was being run by a young lady that received some notoriety during the 2008 presidential campaign after she got a visit from the Secret Service over the details of a phone conversation with an Obama campaign worker. She ended up banning me from the forum after I started asking questions regarding the Tea Party positions on social issues, she took exception to the email address I used to register, as well (rootchoke@someisp.com). It was perfectly clear that these people who were claiming to be non-partisan were, in fact, extremely partisan, more partisan than ever, actually. Nothing but Bush neo-cons that tried to rebrand themselves, only the naive fall for their shit.

^^^THIS!

If not for the extremist social positions held by so many of the various TEA party chapters and leaders, I would have probably joined as well. I've never been a Democrat or a Republican... and I never will be. On any given day, all I can say is that I may hate one more than the other on that day. I really do believe what George Washington said during his farewell address: political parties and partisanship will eventually destroy the republic. But I did join United We Stand back in the early 90's. And that movement/party really was rather non-partisan. It really was based on economics and creating a better life for all based on creating better jobs and sounder fiscal policies. At least in the chapter meetings that I attended, you saw all kinds of people from all walks of life. You might have a college professor from UVA's Darden School of Business sitting beside a student from a community college or a blue collar guy/gal who worked the night shift at a local factory. Race, religion, gender, wealth, educational level, etc. did not play into that movement. Despite how Animus might feel (or what he might *want* to believe), the TEA party movement has indeed relied too heavily on promoting social and religious beliefs. I know a few people who are fiscal conservatives or libertarians who are members - and I can talk to them. There is one who I see eye-to-eye with on a great many issues. We talk economics and he knows his stuff - we don't delve into social or religious discussions. But as the movement has now become a catch-all for any and every paranoid, extremist wingnut on the far right, people who have some modicum of sanity and knowledge about (actual) economic theories and fiscal/monetary policies have no desire to be connected with this/these groups. Call it snobbery or whatever, but anyone who considers himself to be knowledgeable, or one who relies on facts, data and information to drive his decision making, rather than just blind ideology, cannot bring himself to sit and listen to the likes of a Sarah P@lin, Michele Bachmann, Christine O'Donnell, Joe "the Plumber" Wurzelbacher or Todd Akin ramble on about social issues. By supporting and promoting these poster children of retardedness, the TEA party(s) continues to dig its own grave with those who just don't hang out with stupid/ignorant/extremist/paranoid people in real life. And IMO, that is why this movement never has and never will get the respect that United We Stand had. Dump the retards and promote people who are capable of speaking to economic and business initiatives (not just parroting the term "free markets" at every opportunity) and I'll join tomorrow.

And as you touched on in your last sentence, yes, as the movement gained traction, many displaced/shamed neo-cons ran in the door and pretended to change their stripes. Not to put too fine a point on it, but in the years after WWII many of East Germany's top Communist leaders had been Nazis during the war. Nazis and Commies are like cats and dogs, so how could this be? Because, just like the neo-cons, there are people who will call themselves anything, as long as that anything leads to them recapturing some of the power that they once had. That's what it's all about.

To be honest, I think what's happened to the TEA party (where it's gone) is really unfortunate. To borrow an old movie line: they coulda been somebody... they coulda been a contenda.