• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The pitfalls of digital gaming

Sony just sent out notices to PSN members that they're closing the PS3 store in a couple months. They recently disabled access from PCs, so people were dreading this day.

So far it doesn't mean that you can't re-download any purchased content, but you can't add/buy anything new, including freebies and DLC.
But it does have the chilling effect of making you wonder when that happens, and once they do, they've basically made it clear that any generation of digital gaming (PS4/5/etc) is going to be subject to it.

AFAIK Steam doesn't have this problem, does it?

Any case, it seems to have triggered panic buying and the PS3 PS Store have been error ridden for the last couple days...

CrimsonBolt

I AM A SLUT FOR RYAN GOSLING
Honestly did a lot of people still use PS3/PSP systems? I don't think so.
And like you say, the stuff that you have purchased can be download again, I don't see where is the problem.
You can still buy physics games, the only thing that suck, is you can't buy the DLC for the games that you brought and you can't download the game patches.

Nothing last forever.

In a side note the people that purchase digital console, will be screwed in a decade.
Think about it.

There aren't as many players as PS4/PS5, but there's still quite a few of them. If you go into online multiplayer you'll see tons of PS3 games are still very active (Free online play for PS3 is probably a factor too). And some of us are just happy with our PS3s that have been with us all these years :). So being told we can't buy any new stuff will upset some of us, even though we knew it was going to happen sometime. But as I mentioned, platforms like Steam don't have this issue (AFAIK), so it does raise the argument why sony can't do the same.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
And the people who prefer physical copies look down and laugh. Anyone who thinks digital games and stores are forever are pretty funny. This is what games will mostly just be, so fight while you can.

One of the things that pisses me off about modern electronic issues is that nobody owns anything anymore. They just technically license everything. Things won't change until people have some sort of Right of First Sale for electronic purchases, and they have a reasonable way to back up and utilize things so they aren't forever screwed if some server goes offline in the future.

OMG, Sony actually caved in! They're no longer closing the PS3 store!
I did not think that would happen. I guess they really spooked the whole digital gaming market.

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
Well, hopefully this is a wake up call to gamers.