• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The grade F means Fail, correct?

U.S. News writer Mort Zuckerman says Obama's economic policies have failed.

f.jpg

Mort Zuckerman: President Obama's Economic Programs Have Failed

The recovery has not yielded job vacancies, but here are five ways to cure our labor woes

By MORTIMER B. ZUCKERMAN
April 20, 2012 RSS Feed Print

America has long been a country where almost everyone, including the poor and unskilled, could get a job. Given the will to do a reasonable day's work, a job was a passport to economic and social well-being; it was the fount of self-esteem and the foundation of family life. Indeed, work was Life.

More than 15 million Americans no longer have that passport to Life. Think of it as roughly the entire population of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Arkansas, Iowa, and Oklahoma, all standing idle—every man, woman, and child. The traditional breadwinners, namely men between the ages of 25 and 54, are among those hardest hit. According to an Investor's Business Daily/TIPP poll, some 25 percent of households include someone who is unemployed and looking for work. As well as laying waste to work, to the equivalent of losing every job created in the last decade, the Great Recession has visited us with reduced incomes, declining home equity, and a growing contraction in credit.

For the 80 percent of Americans born after World War II, this is their Depression. They have 5.5 million fewer jobs than at the recession's start in 2008, despite the most stimulative fiscal and monetary policy in our history. Employment has been below the pre-recession peak for over 50 months. It's the longest time since the Great Depression that payrolls have not made a new high. The 120,000 new jobs for March make no dent (and adjusted for the peculiarity of warm weather, the number of real net jobs created was 76,000); we need at least 125,000 jobs each month just to provide for new entrants in a rising population.

Discouraged workers dropping out of the labor force make the unemployment rate look fractionally better, but the 8.2 percent headline masks the misery. It is a reflection of the U-3 statistic, which counts only people who have applied for a job in the last four weeks. Among the jobless army, a staggering 42 percent of them are long-term unemployed, without jobs for six months or longer. Look instead at the more relevant U-6 statistic, which counts the number of people who have applied over the last six months. U-6 also includes those who are involuntarily working on a part-time basis. That U-6 unemployment is now in the range of 15 percent. Since 2008, some 3 million people have dropped out of the job market. If they hadn't, the unemployment rate would be about 10.8 percent. In March, the unemployment rate seemed to fall a tenth of 1 percent, yet the number of people who are actually employed dropped by 31,000. Why? Because the number of people who looked for a job dropped by 164,000 and they are not considered unemployed. Not to mention that half the new jobs are in temporary help agencies.

America's great job creation machine is sputtering badly. It is now estimated that structural unemployment has risen from 5 percent before the crisis to close to 7 percent today. This means that one third of the rise in American joblessness may be impervious to the business cycle; it represents lost jobs that cannot be restored by boosting demand.

The problem now is not that people are being laid off by the millions. When an economy has reached bottom, as it did, it has already shed much of its labor, and layoffs slow. But the anemic recovery has not yielded job vacancies. Hiring today is at about 70 percent of the 2006 level. Given the increase in unemployed totals, job seekers are only about one third as likely to find work as in 2006.

Compare that to the fabled Great Depression of the 1930s. In the three years after 1933, the economy rebounded with growth rates of 11 percent, 9 percent, and 13 percent. But in 2010, months into our recovery, growth was about 3 percent, followed by 1.7 percent growth in 2011. The rate for 2012 could be about 2 percent—below the 3.4 percent throughout the postwar period.

What has happened? The process of making stuff fosters innovation, leading to new products. When companies go from prototype to mass production, they scale up, figure out where they can build factories affordably, and hire people by the thousands. But many enterprises in America have discovered they cannot compete in engineering or manufacturing with their Chinese or Indian counterparts, which are equally, if not more, productive with workers willing to accept significantly lower wages. In turn, they gain the skills, knowledge, and experience to innovate. Hence our loss of 6 million blue-collar manufacturing jobs.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
Sam, you can clearly see what's wrong.
Now why don't you use that skill to see what's right.
Tell us, Sam...

...What is to be done?

Barry likes getting economic advice from Harvard retards. Stop taxing investment/ income/and pensions. Go for a consumption tax.

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
Barry likes getting economic advice from Harvard retards. Stop taxing investment/ income/and pensions. Go for a consumption tax.
Yeah...he should have sought advice from high school dropouts.

lolwut?

Yeah...he should have sought advice from high school dropouts.

lolwut?

He should've gotten his advice from the University of Chicago School of Economics i.e. Milton Friedman economics. Harvard retards like Robert Reich spew craptastic Keynesian bizarro world economics that is proven to be false.

lol Obama's a fucking genius compared to Shrub.

wrongbanana.jpg

Mort Zuckerman writes a concise and educated report, and you come up with this childish response. You're pathetic. Seriously! The truth hurts you deep down inside, huh?

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
No one gives a shit about anything you post, Samantha. You burned your credibility a long time ago.

No one gives a shit about anything you post, Samantha. You burned your credibility a long time ago.

Bullshit, you come into my threads all the time. Apparently you DO "give a shit" what I post.

America has long been a country where almost everyone, including the poor and unskilled, could get a job. Given the will to do a reasonable day's work, a job was a passport to economic and social well-being; it was the fount of self-esteem and the foundation of family life. Indeed, work was Life.

What the hell is this guy talking about? Does he live in the same world that the rest of the people live in. That statement hasn't been true since the 1960s. Maybe the 70s at the very latest. (Before the 1950s it wasn't really true either.) I would would almost bet that the vast majority of people on this messageboard weren't even alive the last time that statement was true. :facepalm: It's hard to take anything else he has to say seriously after that.

While some of what he says is true, he fails to mention that Obama had almost nothing to do with most of it, that Obama doesn't have the power to change much of it without vastly more political will from the rest of the country, he fails to mention that a lot of it was our general cowboy capitalistic nature some people like to treat as a religion in this country that has caused it, and he fails to actually offer any solutions that will work, let alone ones that would have worked better than what Obama would have done and that the president could do himself. (Probably because people would have torn his crap apart if he did that.)

xfire

Bullshit, you come into my threads all the time. Apparently you DO "give a shit" what I post.

Because it's like going to the circus, you fucking clown. You just don't get it, do you? I come into your threads for the lulz. You couldn't argue your way out of a wet paper bag. Every argument you try to make you do so with words other than your own. You're a fucking joke. That's why anyone reads your shit. It's like putting a Chinese Finger Trap on a retard. Thank you for all the amusement you provide. :1orglaugh

Because it's like going to the circus, you fucking clown. You just don't get it, do you? I come into your threads for the lulz. You couldn't argue your way out of a wet paper bag. Every argument you try to make you do so with words other than your own. You're a fucking joke. That's why anyone reads your shit. It's like putting a Chinese Finger Trap on a retard. Thank you for all the amusement you provide. :1orglaugh

So according to you, let's disregard all the scholars, authors, historians, doctors, pundits, and anyone else who is an expert in given topics that they have written about. Let's instead use your guideline and throw out all the EXPERT writings, and stick with your ways of debating........

xfiredickhead.jpg

Welcome to 8th Grade humor.

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
We just feel like your ignorance shouldn't go unchecked. We're entitled, even obligated to tear you apart whenever you post bullshit.

xfire

So according to you, let's disregard all the scholars, authors, historians, doctors, pundits, and anyone else who is an expert in given topics that they have written about. Let's instead use your guideline and throw out all the EXPERT writings, and stick with your ways of debating........

Welcome to 8th Grade humor.

You have to form your own arguments based on experts, etc. You can't just post an article and say, "Welp, I reckon I argued you under the table". Naw, that's just plagiarism. Your problem, Samantha, is you don't have the intellectual capacity to critically analyze what you read and base an argument on it. All you can do is give it a, "hell yeah!". You're a fucking joke. And if you think you have any room to criticize other people for "8th Grade humor, why don't you go back and look at some of the shit you've posted. I'm not having a discussion with any of the "experts" you steal from. If they were here I might engage them. You're just slinging bullshit without even comprehending what you read. Keep it up. It's amusing to watch a guy with a seventh grade mentality try to tackle issues he hasn't got the slightest fucking comprehension of.

What the hell is this guy talking about? Does he live in the same world that the rest of the people live in. That statement hasn't been true since the 1960s. Maybe the 70s at the very latest. (Before the 1950s it wasn't really true either.) I would would almost bet that the vast majority of people on this messageboard weren't even alive the last time that statement was true. :facepalm: It's hard to take anything else he has to say seriously after that.

While some of what he says is true, he fails to mention that Obama had almost nothing to do with most of it, that Obama doesn't have the power to change much of it without vastly more political will from the rest of the country, he fails to mention that a lot of it was our general cowboy capitalistic nature some people like to treat as a religion in this country that has caused it, and he fails to actually offer any solutions that will work, let alone ones that would have worked better than what Obama would have done and that the president could do himself. (Probably because people would have torn his crap apart if he did that.)

I wonder if Sam has anything to say about this?

xfire

He should've gotten his advice from the University of Chicago School of Economics i.e. Milton Friedman economics. Harvard retards like Robert Reich spew craptastic Keynesian bizarro world economics that is proven to be false.

Parroting O'Reilly, apparently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/bill-oreilly-robert-reich-communist_b_1448450.html
Bill O'Reilly, the tumescent personality of Fox News, said on his Friday show "Robert Reich is a communist who secretly adores Karl Marx." (This came after Fox News' Neil Cavoto called me a "sanctimonious twit" for suggesting the rich should pay more in taxes.)

I don't monitor the Fox Nazi channel so I apologize if I'm a bit late in seeing that.

Parroting O'Reilly, apparently.

Nah. My father got his PhD from UC in monetary theory. Friedman was his major professor. Keynesian eco was proven to be a failure (money workshop 1957) in the long term because the multiplier effect was unstable.