• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Best war movie?

Full Metal Jacket

Apocalypse Now.

Saving Private Ryan.

Dr. Strangelove: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb

I like realism in war movies above everything else. But a well written and filmed story can make a war movie very watchable too. What I don't like are overly patriotic, unrealistic, stereotypical or badly researched war movies. Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" for example was partly insufferable.

I gotta go with "Band of Brothers" (though technically it isn't a movie). I really liked that mini series and am looking forward to "The Pacific", which is partly the same production team.
I also liked "Iô jima kara no tegami" ("Letters From Iwo Jima"), "Flags Of Our Fathers", "Saving Private Ryan", "Downfall - Der Untergang" and "Black Hawk Down". "Duell - Enemy At The Gates" and "Apocalypse Now" are pretty good too, in my opinion, though not always very realistic.
The battle sequences in "Braveheart" are also very good, albeit the rest of the movie is a romantic exaggeration mostly. Still a pretty epic picture.

I got to say something about "Downfall". I saw this movie in German and the acting of Bruno Ganz (playing Hitler) was downright frightening. To see somebody portray Hitler like that was disturbing. One moment he's a depressed, sad and physically sick man and the next a raging, delusional, raving lunatic. The way he spits while screaming and furiously gesticulates and a minute later stares at the wall and corrects his hair with this typical gesture left me speechless. And not just me. I saw this movie for the first time in a big movie theatre here in town and it was packed, but when the lights went on during the end titles the whole crowd was still stunned. It almost seemed like noone even dared to cough.

I heard Downfall was amazingly good. I havent watched it yet.

I am really looking forward to watching it now.

I dont know what the best is but other I enjoy are:

Blackhawk Down
All Quiet on the Western Front
Band of Brothers
Saints and Soldiers

THe war movie I am looking forward to is Inglorious Bastards staring Brad Pitt.

Wainkerr99

Closed Account
I appreciated "Patton" 1970. The music was quite good. Apparently an extra actually was run over by a tank in the film.
Plus the possibility that if Ike had listened to Patton the Cold War might have been averted.
George C. Scott shone in that role. He even looked like Gen. Patton.

My two favorites:
Enemy at the Gates
Saving Private Ryan
I like WW2 movies the best

Spleen

Banned?
I finally got around to watching We Were Soldiers.

What a load of cheesy flag-waving bullshit.

"I'm gonna stand around n flex my muscles n kill some gooks for my country... Tell my wife I love her"

And it tries so fucking hard to be emotional. The crying wives, the crying soldiers, the relentlessly depressing orchestra in the background...
"My wife had a baby today... AND NOES, NOW IM ON FIRE, HOW FUCKING SAD!"

And shit, the action isn't even that great. There is only so much slow motion you can stand.

And I can't understand how the cinematography can be so bad for a film taking place in a such a beautiful landscape.

"Based on a true story", oh shit, if this film is anywhere close to what actually happened in 'Nam, I'm not surprised you guys lost.

I finally got around to watching We Were Soldiers.

What a load of cheesy flag-waving bullshit.

"I'm gonna stand around n flex my muscles n kill some gooks for my country... Tell my wife I love her"

And it tries so fucking hard to be emotional. The crying wives, the crying soldiers, the relentlessly depressing orchestra in the background...
"My wife had a baby today... AND NOES, NOW IM ON FIRE, HOW FUCKING SAD!"

And shit, the action isn't even that great. There is only so much slow motion you can stand.

And I can't understand how the cinematography can be so bad for a film taking place in a such a beautiful landscape.

"Based on a true story", oh shit, if this film is anywhere close to what actually happened in 'Nam, I'm not surprised you guys lost.

Having met Col. Hal Moore...

I don't have the words....

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
Spleen you ignorant SLUT! We were soldiers was about the escalation of the war in Viet Nam. Specifically, the first major battle between the NVA and Americans without South Vietnamese assistance. The battle of the Ia Drang Valley forever changed combat doctrine, not just for the US but for armies across the world. This movie showed its implimentation and how we as a country got more involved in a war that shouldn't have gotten as big as it did.

I didn't see any or the flexing or posturing that you mentioned. Maybe it was just something you were hoping to see.

The mushy parts that you object are essential to the plot. They let the audience know that these were men with wives and children that would miss them and that there is a bond between soldiers that goes beyond mere friendship.

I don't think I heard the word "Gook" more than once in the movie. But at the time the movie was set that word was in common usage amongst the troops.

That being said here is a list of my favorite war movies, in no particular order:

The Boys in Company C (R. Lee Ermey's first movie)
Fort Apache
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
The Best Years of Our Lives
Sergeant York (I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't yet remade this one.)
Glory
The Beguiled
Heartbreak Ridge
Catch-22
The Alamo (The one with John Wayne)
PT 109
Memphis Belle
A Midnight Clear
Generation Kill (I know, it's a miniseries and not a movie but that show kicked ass)
Nicholas and Alexandria
Enemy at the Gates
Das Boot
Crimson Tide
Run Silent Run Deep
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
El Cid
Exodus
Full Metal Jacket
The Siege of Firebase Gloria (Gunny Hartman is in this one, too.)
All Quiet on the Western Front
Midway

I could go on and on...

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
battlefield: earth

Not even funny. :mad:

Best war movie is Saving Private Ryan, bar none. Das Boot, Downfall, Valkyrie, and the Great Escape are all good, too.

If you want to include wartime movies, then Life is Beautiful and Schindler's List are right there with SPR.

Spleen

Banned?
Spleen you ignorant SLUT! We were soldiers was about the escalation of the war in Viet Nam. Specifically, the first major battle between the NVA and Americans without South Vietnamese assistance. The battle of the Ia Drang Valley forever changed combat doctrine, not just for the US but for armies across the world. This movie showed its implimentation and how we as a country got more involved in a war that shouldn't have gotten as big as it did.

I didn't see any or the flexing or posturing that you mentioned. Maybe it was just something you were hoping to see.

The mushy parts that you object are essential to the plot. They let the audience know that these were men with wives and children that would miss them and that there is a bond between soldiers that goes beyond mere friendship.

I don't think I heard the word "Gook" more than once in the movie. But at the time the movie was set that word was in common usage amongst the troops.

Flag-wavers tend not to notice flag-waving.

Look, I understand this was based on actual battles in Vietnam, my point is it was just another Mel Gibson blockbuster. Having seen many people compare it with Saving Private Ryan. NO, JUST FUCKING NO.
Acting was shit, script was shit, camera work was shit, their feeble attempts at making me upset were shit.

The one redeeming feature was the dude called Snakeshit (which yes, I also understand is a real person). But that nickname is fucking badass.

The Guns Of Navarone
The Great Escape
The Deer Hunter
The Eagle Has Landed
Das Boot
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Glory
Schindler's List

Not sure if you'd classify all of them as "war movies", but they're my favs.

in no particular order: letters from iwo jima, full metal jacket, apocalypse now, manchurian candidate, and the bridge on the river kwai...from off the top of my head