• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Best war movie?

troy and alexander both had great battle scenes

Band of Brothers, without a doubt, best ever!
Saving Private Ryan is next best.

When Trumpets Fade and Enemy at the Gates are watchable.

Of the Vietnam era I would pick Full Metal Jacket, Boys in Company C, Apocalypse Now and the best war movie that isn't.... The Deer Hunter.

Iraq era I would stick to documentaries and skip Three Kings, Jarhead and the like.

Last edited:
Hamburger Hill,(Vietnam) Saving Private Ryan,(WWII) The Patriot(Revolutionary War) Glory(Civil War) Windtalkers (WWII) Platoon (Vietnam)
Memphis Belle (WWII)

my favs are
Full Metal Jacket
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Windtalkers
Stalingrad
Das Boot
Apocalypse Now
black hawk down

I like realism in war movies above everything else. But a well written and filmed story can make a war movie very watchable too. What I don't like are overly patriotic, unrealistic, stereotypical or badly researched war movies. Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" for example was partly insufferable.

I gotta go with "Band of Brothers" (though technically it isn't a movie). I really liked that mini series and am looking forward to "The Pacific", which is partly the same production team.
I also liked "Iô jima kara no tegami" ("Letters From Iwo Jima"), "Flags Of Our Fathers", "Saving Private Ryan", "Downfall - Der Untergang" and "Black Hawk Down". "Duell - Enemy At The Gates" and "Apocalypse Now" are pretty good too, in my opinion, though not always very realistic.
The battle sequences in "Braveheart" are also very good, albeit the rest of the movie is a romantic exaggeration mostly. Still a pretty epic picture.

I got to say something about "Downfall". I saw this movie in German and the acting of Bruno Ganz (playing Hitler) was downright frightening. To see somebody portray Hitler like that was disturbing. One moment he's a depressed, sad and physically sick man and the next a raging, delusional, raving lunatic. The way he spits while screaming and furiously gesticulates and a minute later stares at the wall and corrects his hair with this typical gesture left me speechless. And not just me. I saw this movie for the first time in a big movie theatre here in town and it was packed, but when the lights went on during the end titles the whole crowd was still stunned. It almost seemed like noone even dared to cough.

For pure action: Blackhawk Down and We Were Soliders.
For drama: Platoon, Bridge Over the River Kwai
For kickass characters: Patton, Full Metal Jacket

Saving Private Ryan

And Inglorious Basterds, to be released this August. It's Tarantino's WW2 epic and needless to say it'll be good!!

Yes Saving Private Ryan and spelt 'Inglourious Basterds' is going to great. At least I hope it will be. Tarantino has the ability to make a movie that sounds and appears good at first glance but ends up being shit like Reservior Dogs and From Dusk Till Dawn.

My personal favorite is The Thin Red Line.

I feel that Terrence Malick captured a very unique introspective view on war.

Even though Spielberg is the master of filmmaking,I really enjoyed it better than Saving Private Ryan,which was an excellent film in it's own right.

Bruno Ganz played Hitler and his performance is godlike. He had to have been possessed in that role.

Yep, thats him, :thumbsup:
I could have googled it first but didn't think to.
I also forgot to mention I liked the new movie Valkyrie. The only 2 things I would have changed about it were it should have been in German with English subtitles (more realistic) and they could have gotten a much better Hitler imo. They should have used Bruno Ganz!

For war movies with a message I think "Paths of Glory" stands alone.And the original "All quiet on the western front" is another good example of how insane thinking can be about war.
For movie about how war affects the soldiers involved and why some do things considered heroic I think "To Hell and back" ,the real life story of americas most decorated soldier Audie Murphy is hard to beat.
Others have mentioned "Downfall" which is a great portrayal of the final days of Hilter IMO and "Glory" is a great movie as well.
For a movie with both humor and drama "Stalag 17" is a good choice.
On the other end some have mentioned "The great escape" as being a great war movie while it did have some good actors in it overall it is so hollywood and so far from the truth of the history of the actual episode it really has not stood up to the test of time very well at all.Maybe entertaining but still pretty fake,but I guess they had to make up stuff (like americans being in the camp to make it work for american audiences).

Spleen

Banned?
Tarantino has the ability to make a movie that sounds and appears good at first glance but ends up being shit like Reservior Dogs

What? :conehead: