• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Best/Smartest Show on Television - HBO's "The Wire"

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
There were a lot of great characters. I'd have to say my favorite among them were Roghls, Omar, and Marlo. I also like Stringer for his stoicism and being so calculated but he was kind of a bastard for ordering the hit on D'Angelo and letting everyone think that he committed suicide. IMO D seemed like a redeemable character and I didn't expect him to be killed off like that.

Brother Mouzone is another of my favorites. I was laughing my ass off when he was raising shit about not getting his Harper's magazine. The line he delivers at the end is great.

FrostyBoy

Banned
If anyone has pull with Netflix, could you get them to stream "The Wire" so I can watch it? Thanx.

I got rid of TV and decided to just watch what I can get via computer. "The Wire" is where my master plan turns to shit.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
IMO D seemed like a redeemable character and I didn't expect him to be killed off like that.

Yes, he was. Same with Wallace. D'Angelo's murder surprised me. Wallace's didn't, but it made me quite sad as I watched Bodie and the other kid gun him down.

The season (4?) that dealt with the kids also tended to pull at the old heartstrings. It was (IMO) perhaps the best season. But I also found it very hard to watch much of the time - and I'm not really all that sentimental. I guess it was the realization that this show was very close to reality. And then seeing that the younger generation coming up was so incredibly screwed up, you got a feeling of lost hope after watching. I also found the scenes showing the docks around Baltimore to be tough to watch. Those scenes captured the decline of American manufacturing (exports) so well. I was working on a restructuring project that saw several factories close when that was first aired. Watching that did not exactly build my self-esteem or make me feel good about myself/my work. Now that I think about it, there weren't that many hopeful messages in this show. But I guess that's life for a lot of people, huh? They're born. They live a rough life. And then they die.

Wow. I think I need a drink now.

Rey C.

If anyone has pull with Netflix, could you get them to stream "The Wire" so I can watch it? Thanx.

I got rid of TV and decided to just watch what I can get via computer. "The Wire" is where my master plan turns to shit.

Nah, you're still good. You can rent episodes at Amazon for $1.39/episode and watch them on your computer. :thumbsup:

You can also buy the series on DVD from Amazon for about $111 (new) or $84 (used).

If I can find a better broadband solution next year, I'm also thinking seriously about dropping my TV package. Between an Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon, I figure I can get almost everything I want, except Formula One. But that's a biggie.

that would be awesome - but I would never leave the house if that were so....(same with other series).

The $10/mo subscription at least allows 1 DVD to be sent at a time....letting you go through the whole series, maybe 2-3 discs a week. With 5 season, I'm thinking it might be simpler to buy the complete series off Amazon for $110

FrostyBoy

Banned
^^^ Yeah, the thing is, I have a really full DVD que of stuff I really want to watch.

It's funny, there are sites where I've watched other series(Scrubs, Rescue Me, Deadliest Catch, Kitchen Confidential and so on), but no dice with "The Wire". So I'm just hoping that Netflix will "get around" to it. It's the least they can do after I sat through the multi-season abortion that was "Battlestar Galactica".

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
Yes, he was. Same with Wallace. D'Angelo's murder surprised me. Wallace's didn't, but it made me quite sad as I watched Bodie and the other kid gun him down.

The season (4?) that dealt with the kids also tended to pull at the old heartstrings. It was (IMO) perhaps the best season. But I also found it very hard to watch much of the time - and I'm not really all that sentimental. I guess it was the realization that this show was very close to reality. And then seeing that the younger generation coming up was so incredibly screwed up, you got a feeling of lost hope after watching. I also found the scenes showing the docks around Baltimore to be tough to watch. Those scenes captured the decline of American manufacturing (exports) so well. I was working on a restructuring project that saw several factories close when that was first aired. Watching that did not exactly build my self-esteem or make me feel good about myself/my work. Now that I think about it, there weren't that many hopeful messages in this show. But I guess that's life for a lot of people, huh? They're born. They live a rough life. And then they die.

Wow. I think I need a drink now.
I felt the same way. I think Frank put it best when he says "we used to make & build shit in this country, but now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket". Another good character who met a depressing end btw. He just wanted to make sure his union was taken care of which is why he got roped into doing business with the Greeks and all the money grubbing politicians out of desperation to maintain business at the docks. I suppose in the end it was inevitable though. But yeah, characters like him and D'Angelo had a sense of morality to them that made them admirable.

Here's another great scene that serves as a parable to society.

Many of the characters, especially Stringer and D'Angleo, are like a lot like Gatsby in a way. You can try to pretend that you're someone else but you can't escape your past.

FrostyBoy

Banned
Nah, you're still good. You can rent episodes at Amazon for $1.39/episode and watch them on your computer. :thumbsup:

You can also buy the series on DVD from Amazon for about $111 (new) or $84 (used).

If I can find a better broadband solution next year, I'm also thinking seriously about dropping my TV package. Between an Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon, I figure I can get almost everything I want, except Formula One. But that's a biggie.

I bought a couple of "Leverage" episodes from Amazon and the picture was kinda fucked up. This happened on both episodes so Amazon isn't exactly giving me wowsers in my trousers, even at $1.39.

Rey C.

DirecTV's T101 is still showing this amazing series. We're in season 4(?) now... the one dealing with the kids, schools and corner boys. IMO, there's never been a show like this on TV before. I was just thinking the other night about how easy it is to forget that this isn't real. It had a HUGE cast and even the kids don't seem like they're acting. And the way they weaved the storylines... :clap:

Sorry about that. But I just had to gush some more praise on the best damn TV series I've ever seen.

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
I have sad and breaking news, Robert F. Chew (aka Prop Joe) dies @ the age of 52 of Heart Failure in sleep Thursday night...

robert-f-chew-600.jpg

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20666478,00.html

This is a huge devastating and unfortunate development, I think everybody who was a "Wire" fan loved "Prop Joe" I know he had other roles as an actor but the "Wire" is prolly my favorite show of all-time, and all characters involved will always be known and remembered (by me anyways) by the character they assumed in HBO's award winning show "The Wire"

I send my condolences too all of Robert F Chews family, Friends, & Fans. he will be greatly missed. R.I.P. Mr. Chew (aka - Prop Joe) :angels:

Just finished watching all 5 seasons and fuck me this was one EPIC TV show. I always used to say that The Sopranos was THE best TV show ever made, but I think that The Wire just edges it for me and I thought I would never say that anything was better than The Sopranos.

R.I.P Robert F Chews

'You come at the king you best not miss!'

Big Poppa Pump

- My Name Is My Name -
Indeed!!
just finished watching all 5 seasons and fuck me this was one epic tv show. I always used to say that the sopranos was the best tv show ever made, but i think that the wire just edges it for me and i thought i would never say that anything was better than the sopranos.

R.i.p robert f chews

'you come at the king you best not miss!'