• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Recommend a revolver

So I'm going to purchase a new piece in a week or two and wanted suggestions on a sturdy revolver. I'm thinking maybe a S&W or Taurus .38. Something simple and reliable to destroy a would-be crook trying to walk into my place.

Any suggestions?

Mayhem

Banned
Smith and Wesson Model 625 or 610. Full moon clips from Ranch Products. Extended cylinder release. Non-permanent Lok-tite on the rear sight mounting screws and you're all set.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
As long as you stay with a solid name brand (Colt, S&W, Ruger, etc.) it really doesn't make that much difference. The most important thing (IMO) is to select one that fits your hand the best, that you're comfortable holding and firing. And if it's also going to be a concealed carry weapon, then I wouldn't get some magnum hog-leg that is all but impossible to conceal.

Best bet: go to a firing range that will let you rent various brands and calibers. Try them all out and see which one best suits your hands. Unless I've had friends that owned something I was considering, that's what I've always done.

Personally, I wouldn't get anything in a .38 ... a .357 magnum, maybe. But that's up to you.

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
Single Action Army.

Smith and Wesson Model 625 or 610. Full moon clips from Ranch Products. Extended cylinder release. Non-permanent Lok-tite on the rear sight mounting screws and you're all set.
:hatsoff:

As long as you stay with a solid name brand (Colt, S&W, Ruger, etc.) it really doesn't make that much difference. The most important thing (IMO) is to select one that fits your hand the best, that you're comfortable holding and firing. And if it's also going to be a concealed carry weapon, then I wouldn't get some magnum hog-leg that is all but impossible to conceal.

Best bet: go to a firing range that will let you rent various brands and calibers. Try them all out and see which one best suits your hands. Unless I've had friends that owned something I was considering, that's what I've always done.

Personally, I wouldn't get anything in a .38 ... a .357 magnum, maybe. But that's up to you.
Any particular reason for the dislike of the .38 caliber?

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.

I don't really dislike them. I have/have had .38's, but for a self-defense round, it's rather borderline, IMO. But you can get +P and specialty rounds and turn even a .380 into a monster. But in general, I wouldn't select anything less powerful than a .357 magnum if I was looking specifically at a revolver. Have you ever looked at a Glock 23 (compact semi-auto in .40 S&W)? The full size 22 and the compact 23 have been favorites of mine for many years - and I have quite large hands. But whether want a revolver or a semi-auto, I really would try some out at the range.

Kingfisher

Here Zombie, Zombie, Zombie...
S&W is way overpriced as of late. I suggest a very solid and very reliable Ruger SP101. Compact and tough. I have one.

Shifty, Canadians like you aren't shit. I know your type, as I have family there. Crawl back under your rock and stop barking.

I don't really dislike them. I have/have had .38's, but for a self-defense round, it's rather borderline, IMO. But you can get +P and specialty rounds and turn even a .380 into a monster. But in general, I wouldn't select anything less powerful than a .357 magnum if I was looking specifically at a revolver. Have you ever looked at a Glock 23 (compact semi-auto in .40 S&W)? The full size 22 and the compact 23 have been favorites of mine for many years - and I have quite large hands. But whether want a revolver or a semi-auto, I really would try some out at the range.
I think I will look into trying some models at the range. My father and I are going to a show too soon so I'll get some more feedback.

S&W is way overpriced as of late. I suggest a very solid and very reliable Ruger SP101. Compact and tough. I have one.
I hear Ruger is one of the best.

Mayhem

Banned

It's somewhat pointless and limiting. Get a .357 and you can always load .38 in it. .357, 125 gr. hollowponts from a major manufacturer have the best one-shot stopping power.

230 gr. hydra-shoks from Federal also score in the 90th percentile with one shot stops, hence my love for the Model 625 in .45 ACP. I threw in the 610 (if they are still available) because you can alternate between 10mm and .40 S&W. In the event of a necessary reload, you can't go wrong with full-moon clips.

It's somewhat pointless and limiting. Get a .357 and you can always load .38 in it. .357, 125 gr. hollowponts from a major manufacturer have the best one-shot stopping power.

230 gr. hydra-shoks from Federal also score in the 90th percentile with one shot stops, hence my love for the Model 625 on .45 ACP. I threw in the 610 (if they are still available) because you can alternate between 10mm and .40 S&W. In the event of a necessary reload, you can't go wrong with full-moon clips.
Point(s) taken.

I admit I am a novice when it comes to all the intricacies of caliber and so forth, but I have fired weapons before.

Shifty

O.G.
Nah, you don't know my type. You aspire to. And please stop making this about nationality.

For the record, you started this thread within days of the murder of innocent people by handgun in a place of peaceful worship.

You're not buying a gun, you're pounding your chest and stirring up shit.

Maybe buy a snub nose to fit in your purse, pussy!

Nah, you don't know my type. You aspire to. And please stop making this about nationality.

For the record, you started this thread within days of the murder of innocents by handgun in a place of peaceful worship.

If this thread were started by particular other posters I would say that you have a point, although BS isn't really the "stir it up" up type, especially as compared to some other posters on this board (myself not disculded). I think this is a legit thread with the timing of what you're talking about being purely coincidental.

For the record, you started this thread within days of the murder of innocents by handgun in a place of peaceful worship.

Shifty, people die every day on account of hand guns. The Batman shooting happened not long ago, should we not discuss the movie?

If its not in a place of worship yesterday its in a car park tomorrow, or an alley or a drug store.

BS has every right to start this thread, you might not like the topic but this is the world we live in.

No one asked for your opinion, and I am entirely legal to purchase a firearm. If that's rubs you the wrong way, good. The only pussy here is you. There are enough Canucks on here that are cool beings; your little prissy ass doesn't represent the majority.

Shifty, people die every day on account of hand guns. The Batman shooting happened not long ago, should we not discuss the movie?

If its not in a place of worship yesterday its in a car park tomorrow, or an alley or a drug store.

BS has every right to start this thread, you might not like the topic but this is the world we live in.
I think he is referring to the shooting of the Sikhs the other day.

Shifty

O.G.
Fair enough DOA. You've spoken.

I respect BS' right to post.

Unfortunately, it is all too often about "rights" with these people.

I think he is referring to the shooting of the Sikhs the other day.

Something I admit to knowing nothing about. Hence the point I make, people die left and right because of guns, this thread has nothing to do with that so why is it disrespectful? Because of the timing, pure coincidence.

Mayhem

Banned
Point(s) taken.

I admit I am a novice when it comes to all the intricacies of caliber and so forth, but I have fired weapons before.

The only real reason for a ,38 (or .380 in a semi-auto) is for concealment in hot weather. But you alluded to an "under-the-counter" gun, so go with a good service caliber, appropriate size for you and, for Gods sake, grips that fit your hand. Ruger is good in this regard, both with their factory offerings and what you can get with after market grips. As a side note, it was Ruger that started the ultra-comfortable grip trend with their GP100 line, and moved the market away from "service style" grips that all revolvers used to come with, where they flaired out at the bottom. But now, all manufacurers have followed suit.

I'll still go with the S&W 625, though. .45 is cheap in bulk, you can go with standard hardball for your practice/range loads and switch over to Hydra-shoks for defense. And if you choose to get involved with your local IPSC and/or IDP chapters, a moon-clip revolver is the only way to go in competition.