• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Political Insights: Obama Restarts Culture Wars on Offense

In the 2012 edition of the culture wars, a new side is starting on offense.
President Obama's move to embrace same-sex marriage sets an unmistakable tone for the general election: Democrats don't feel the need to fear social issues, even ones that have been conservative lynchpins in years past.
Democrats, starting with the one who's topping the ticket, are the ones inserting talk of gay rights and reproductive rights into the national conversation.
"The First Gay President," Newsweek's new cover declares - and for once Democrats aren't worried about the image that projects.
With a nudge from Vice President Joe Biden last week, the president completed his self-described "evolution" on the subject of same-sex marriage by staking out a personal position that would have been unthinkable for a national politician in previous election cycles.
"For me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married," the president told ABC News' Robin Roberts on Wednesday.
And a move that any previous Republican candidate for president would have seen as a rainbow-wrapped gift has been met haltingly by the GOP's 2012 standard-bearer. Mitt Romney used a weekend speech at Liberty University to declare that "marriage is a relationship between one man and one woman," but he's shown no signs of wanting to talk about it much more beyond that.
Romney told the Christian Broadcasting Network that while he opposes gay marriage, he's not sure that position will be a central focus of his campaign.
"I think people of different backgrounds have different issues that they find to be the most compelling, and interesting. So I'm asked about social issues as well as foreign policy issues and economic issues," Romney said. "I'll do my very best to connect with the American people on the issues that they care most about."
Romney, of course, is hoping the economy is far more relevant to the campaign than social issues. That's primarily a mark of the uncertain jobs and housing markets, but it's also a measure of the cultural shift among voters.
Barack Obama was on the side of a majority of the American people when he opposed gay marriage at the start of his career in national politics, in 2004. He's back there again now, having changed his position - a fact Republican strategists know as well as Democrats.
The politics will be more complicated in several battleground states, notably North Carolina, where voters resoundingly moved to amend the state constitution to ban same-sex marriage last week, just a day before the president announced his change of heart.
But voters for whom opposition to same-sex marriage is the primary voting issue almost certainly weren't Obama voters in the first place. And to look at some early attempts by prominent Republicans to exploit the issue is to squirm.
"Call me cynical," Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said at Iowa's Faith and Freedom Coalition this weekend, "but I wasn't sure his views on marriage could get any gayer."
The issue of same-sex marriage will fire up elements of the conservative base this fall, and will have more eloquent speakers than Paul to push it from the right.
For now, though, the president have shifted on a major cultural issue where, polling suggests, demographics are on his side, if not necessarily politics. And the campaign has seen another week elapse where the Obama economy was not front and center.
Also Read

http://news.yahoo.com/political-ins...ars-offense-231013983--abc-news-politics.html

Rattrap

Doesn't feed trolls and would appreciate it if you
Pro-tip: proper paragraphs and quotations are good. So is personal commentary - otherwise, what the hell's the point of posting it?

Never mind the black community essentially is against same sex marriage. Barry made a political decision.

Mayhem

Banned
Why should how the black community feels have anything to do with gay marriage? Fuck 'em if they can't take it and if Obama was basing national decisions on the black vote, you'd be all over him for that.

Just out of curiosity has anybody ever heard any remotely reasonable reason gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, seriously? I'm still waiting and have never in my life heard any any-gay marriage people ever come up with anything anywhere close to a good reason.

All I have ever heard just comes down to discriminating people and codifying that discrimination under law for either the purposes of enforcing ones own morality on somebody else when what that person they are discriminating against does effects them not at all, they want to discriminate against somebody because of what amounts to "tradition", or they want to discriminate because changing a few marriage laws might be complex and it's easier to do the wrong thing and actually deny them their freedom than figure out how the new process would work in society. None of those reasons even approach being a legitimate, fair, or ethical reason to do so.

Rattrap

Doesn't feed trolls and would appreciate it if you
Just out of curiosity has anybody ever heard any remotely reasonable reason gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, seriously? I'm still waiting and have never in my life heard any any-gay marriage people ever come up with anything anywhere close to a good reason.
All you've ever heard is all there is to it; there is no good argument against it. It's bigotry, plain and simple. There is no slippery slope, there's no erosion to the 'sanctity of marriage' ( :1orglaugh )...it will be very clear when the history of the time is settled who was on the wrong side. Not the losing side (though that time will come, inevitably and eventually), but the wrong side.

I live in Canada and we've had same-sex marriange since '03 and I've never heard of any problems because of it. Even the conservatives here don't make a fuse about it.

Do the conservatives and "pro traditional marriage" crowd in the states know about Canada's same-sex marriage laws and how nothing bad has happened? Or for that matter, do they even know where Canada is?

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Never mind the black community essentially is against same sex marriage. Barry made a political decision.

Like Mayhem, I really don't see what that has to do with anything. Is Obama only supposed to represent and agree with whatever a majority of "the Black community" believe? I know that's been the (irrational) fear of many/most White Evangelicals and the like. But is that even a legitimate point?

Along the same lines, doesn't Rand Paul present himself as a "libertarian"? So, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't (actual) libertarians basically believe in live & let live? More so than with Obama and the supposed views of the Black community, Rand Paul seems to be presenting himself as something that he is not.

Just out of curiosity has anybody ever heard any remotely reasonable reason gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, seriously? I'm still waiting and have never in my life heard any any-gay marriage people ever come up with anything anywhere close to a good reason...

I guess it just depends on your definition of reasonable. A large percentage of opponents to gay marriage are, to varying degrees, of religious faith. To these individuals, all the arguments made on the basis of homosexuality being immoral probably seem pretty reasonable, to them. Along with the concepts of homosexuality being seen as a sin in most religions, the alleged erosion of traditional family values, the indoctrination and confusion of children as to traditional, societal gender roles that homosexuality has been tied to, and the concept that most religious individuals believe that one of the main, foundational functions of a marriage is procreation lead all (or most) of those in opposition to gay marriage to believe that these all are very reasonable arguments against gay marriage as part of the marital institution.

Perspective.

Not claiming that I do, or do not agree with the above as reasonable, just pointing out that, to several people, these arguments are extremely reasonable, and therefore valid.

Like Mayhem, I really don't see what that has to do with anything. Is Obama only supposed to represent and agree with whatever a majority of "the Black community" believe? I know that's been the (irrational) fear of many/most White Evangelicals and the like. But is that even a legitimate point? ...

Political strategy. If Obama intends on winning reelection, the black vote will be significant in that cause. In 2008 Obama took 96% of the black vote, a number that accounted for 13% of the electorate, a huge number in voting terms. Now, I don't imagine that many of these voters would vote for Romney, but alienating his base on such a divisive issue could be politically dangerous, and create a sense of apathy in black voters, thus potentially endangering his reelection bid.

Think 2004. Bush was helped in his reelection largely due to the Hispanic voters shifting in significant numbers to Bush based on his Pro-Life stance, among other things including his stance and policies towards illegal immigration/immigrants, etc... Some people even argue that the shift away from the Democratic party by Hispanics in 2004 (somewhere in the neighborhood of 2%) was the sole reason Bush won that election. Most Hispanics are, traditionally, devout Catholics and therefore deeply invested in traditional values and largely oppose abortion as well as homosexual marriage, and have begun to vote accordingly. Blacks, also, historically have opposed gay marriage in large numbers. Larger numbers than any other political group, for some reason.

Black voters, as well as many Hispanic voters, may well turn apathetic to Obama based on his recent support of gay marriage, or worse (for Obama), vote Republican. Its all strategy. Regardless of what one actually believes, campaign time, and election time are best spent paying lip service, and blowing smoke waaaaay up the asses of swing voters. In this case, those swing voters are, in my opinion, a.) Blacks - will they be upset enough to vote Republican, or at least pissed off enough to stay home on election day? And b.) Hispanics - Is Obama's endorsement of homosexual marriage enough to offend their traditionally Catholic sensibilities and sway them back to the right and cast votes for Romney?

We'll see, I suppose.

georges

Staff member
Why should how the black community feels have anything to do with gay marriage? Fuck 'em if they can't take it and if Obama was basing national decisions on the black vote, you'd be all over him for that.

He is more of a diviser than an unifier, if he got elected it mainly thanks to the black and hispanic votes as well as all the fucking media and support from oprah, al sharpton, jesse jackson, farrakhan and big percentage of black actors, black actresses as well as former black politicians.