• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL v. NBA: Which playoffs are better?

most of the differences pointed out are aganist the mlb. games in the playoffs in the nba and nhl like it was said are the same. so points one and two dont go aganist the nba
also they didnt add the mavs in the latest champions won (first title).
and the seattle supersonics turned thunder are a contender and besides the spurs the best team in the west.
lebron got them to the finals but didnt win and the dicussion is about winning the title...
three superstars will not win the title in the nba. you still have to have a solid bench if you want to win. celtics had that.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

If you're the best team in the NHL entering the playoffs, then sure, the road ahead of you looks tough. But at the same time, one of the worst teams feels like they got a chance.

If you're one of the best teams in the NBA, sure, you like your chances. If you're one of the worst teams in the NBA playoffs you got no chance.

Which is why it's "easier" to win titles. We've been talking about this the last several months in the NBA thread; the elitist consolidation of talent throughout the NBA - mostly among players themselves - has made only a handful of teams viable candidates to take titles.

Thus, it's more competitive in the NHL postseason because far more (all, basically) teams that reach the PS have a chance at bringing in the title.

:2 cents:

Which is why it's "easier" to win titles. We've been talking about this the last several months in the NBA thread; the elitist consolidation of talent throughout the NBA - mostly among players themselves - has made only a handful of teams viable candidates to take titles.

Thus, it's more competitive in the NHL postseason because far more (all, basically) teams that reach the PS have a chance at bringing in the title.

:2 cents:

Agree to disagree.

That makes no sense. If the Stanley Cup is so difficult to win, then how can 16 different teams win it?

It's more difficult to win a title in the NBA because you need to be a great team top-to-bottom (almost flawless). You can't just catch fire and win a NBA title. The NBA is a league where the best team always wins. If you're not the best, you're not going to win.

Ask Lebron how easy it is to win a NBA title.
Hah! ask the San Jose Sharks how easy it is to win a title. Or the Washington Capitals. Or the Canucks. Basketball basically boils down to the offseason and then the Finals. Either suck so many years in a row that you've accumulated 3 superstars or sign 2 or 3 superstars in the offseason and boom, you're in the finals the next year. Then it's a match-up between the 3 superstars from the east and the three superstars from the west. The end.
It extremely hard to maintain a level of hockey good enough to win the Stanley Cup throughout the entire playoffs because of roster depth, more frequent/worse injuries/team matchups/special teams/goaltending/etc... This year's playoffs are proving it, too. The east-winning Rangers are now going to their second game 7. They barely survived the 8 seed Senators, and they might lose to the 7 seed Caps, who have already eliminated the defending champs. The western 1 seed Canucks got destroyed by the 8 kings (who btw went on to sweep the 2 seed Blues). Philly scored a shitload of goals in their 6 game series win over the Pens (a widely agreed cup favorite) and then couldn't do jack against the defensive minded Devils.
The NHL is harder because almost all the teams possess the talent to win the Cup away from their competitors, but the key is to keep your determination, focus, teamwork, strategy, health, and even luck right where you need it. And that is really fucking hard to pull off.

Hah! ask the San Jose Sharks how easy it is to win a title. Or the Washington Capitals. Or the Canucks. Basketball basically boils down to the offseason and then the Finals. Either suck so many years in a row that you've accumulated 3 superstars or sign 2 or 3 superstars in the offseason and boom, you're in the finals the next year. Then it's a match-up between the 3 superstars from the east and the three superstars from the west. The end.
It extremely hard to maintain a level of hockey good enough to win the Stanley Cup throughout the entire playoffs because of roster depth, more frequent/worse injuries/team matchups/special teams/goaltending/etc... This year's playoffs are proving it, too. The east-winning Rangers are now going to their second game 7. They barely survived the 8 seed Senators, and they might lose to the 7 seed Caps, who have already eliminated the defending champs. The western 1 seed Canucks got destroyed by the 8 kings (who btw went on to sweep the 2 seed Blues). Philly scored a shitload of goals in their 6 game series win over the Pens (a widely agreed cup favorite) and then couldn't do jack against the defensive minded Devils.
The NHL is harder because almost all the teams possess the talent to win the Cup away from their competitors, but the key is to keep your determination, focus, teamwork, strategy, health, and even luck right where you need it. And that is really fucking hard to pull off.

Like I said earlier, it depends on how you look at it.

I still think it's much harder to win a title in the NBA. We'll have to agree to disagree.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
NHL, mainly cuz i live in a none basketball area (south jersey/Philly). granted Philly has a major team, basketball isnt one of the main sports in our area. its all hockey baseball and football, only time NBA comes into play is when they get HOT HOT HOT! others in my area may not agree but i feel its true.

Stanley Cup Final: two teams with no superstars and little national recognition

NBA Finals: Lebron James and Kevin Durant

Kind of a stupid argument.

Not really; in the NBA you're more likely to see star match-ups (or great match-ups in general) deep into the playoffs. In the NHL where crazy upsets happen all the time, you're likely to see unappealing match-ups. Big NHL fans probably don't care, but for the casual viewer it could be unwatchable.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Not really; in the NBA you're more likely to see star match-ups (or great match-ups in general) deep into the playoffs. In the NHL where crazy upsets happen all the time, you're likely to see unappealing match-ups. Big NHL fans probably don't care, but for the casual viewer it could be unwatchable.

The point of this thread is to argue which playoffs are better, not the quality of the star players in each round. I don't know what is so unappealing about seeing a team win their first Stanley Cup after 45 years, but to each their own. I'm sure the attitudes/egos of Miami's Big Three do their part in turning off the casual viewer as well.

Can I just say, with the NHL playoffs wrapped up and the NBA playoffs in it's final series, that my above argument is brilliant.

Ohhh that's the key to winning the Cup? It sounds like the key to winning any team championship.

Can I just say, with the NHL playoffs wrapped up and the NBA playoffs in it's final series, that my above argument is brilliant.

Or completely wrong. One could say, and I'm just playing devils advocate here, it's easy to win the Stanley Cup because all you have to do is make the playoffs. If you go by playoff teams that actually have a chance to win, the NBA is by far the hardest, from a league perspective. In the NHL, (especially post lockout) you could say 87% of the teams that make the playoffs have a chance to win the Cup, assuming a couple teams make it like this years Florida. In MLB - 100%, NFL - 83% The NBA? 37% maybe? If you don't have any home court...you're done.

If you're using the logic that it's easier for the heavy hitters in the NBA to win, than you have to agree that, in comparison to the NBA, it's easier for the lower seeds in the NHL to win.

Is it harder because the competition is more balanced? Or is it easier because the competition is more balanced?

The 6th and 8th seeds fought for the Cup. Two 2nd seeds are battling for the Larry O'Brien Trophy. I think this proves my argument is brilliant.