• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL v. NBA: Which playoffs are better?

Ohhh that's the key to winning the Cup? It sounds like the key to winning any team championship.

Or completely wrong. One could say, and I'm just playing devils advocate here, it's easy to win the Stanley Cup because all you have to do is make the playoffs. If you go by playoff teams that actually have a chance to win, the NBA is by far the hardest, from a league perspective. In the NHL, (especially post lockout) you could say 87% of the teams that make the playoffs have a chance to win the Cup, assuming a couple teams make it like this years Florida. In MLB - 100%, NFL - 83% The NBA? 37% maybe? If you don't have any home court...you're done.

If you're using the logic that it's easier for the heavy hitters in the NBA to win, than you have to agree that, in comparison to the NBA, it's easier for the lower seeds in the NHL to win.

Is it harder because the competition is more balanced? Or is it easier because the competition is more balanced?

The 6th and 8th seeds fought for the Cup. Two 2nd seeds are battling for the Larry O'Brien Trophy. I think this proves my argument is brilliant.

Let me put it this way: Its harder to play your way to a Stanley Cup than an NBA title. It's harder to "GM" your way to NBA championship than a Stanley Cup. I was viewing this question from a strictly player's-viewpoint, not organizationally. In basketball, the GM assembles the players, and it takes 90% of the variables out of the equation. The regular season is pretty much pointless aside from the fact that a member of your "Big (#)" might get hurt.

Mathematical logic (which you laid out in your post) says that because more than 4 teams have a chance to win in the NHL, that its harder. Is it harder to win a tournament of 4 teams, or 16 teams when the competition is relatively equal in either one?

It seems rwill was right. We'll have to agree to disagree. If 10 of the teams in the playoffs have no realistic chance of winning, that makes it more difficult, imo.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
It seems rwill was right. We'll have to agree to disagree. If 10 of the teams in the playoffs have no realistic chance of winning, that makes it more difficult, imo.

Sounds like that is more pointless, not difficult.

C.K. Lawrence

Closed Account
Well, this year for sure the NHL playoffs were much better, at least in my opinion of which I hold great value. Perhaps we shall go by year or decade to enhance the debate?