• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL v. NBA: Which playoffs are better?

Which playoffs are better, NBA or NHL?

NBA first round sucked dry, stale and rotten orangutan smegma. The NHL first round was full of action packed sportsmanship.

So?

NBA playoffs are too preductable cause of the best of 7 format, you pretty much know whos winning the first two rounds.
NHL playoffs tend to be much more compettitive and more wacky from start to finish.

I favor the NHL playoffs up until the conf. finals in the NBA playoffs.

NHL playoffs. An 8 seed is about to beat the number 1 and 2 seeds. That will never happen in the NBA. Ever.

But, as PJP mentioned, two great teams playing in the NBA is better than 2 great teams playing in the NHL. But I just prefer basketball.

NHL playoffs. An 8 seed is about to beat the number 1 and 2 seeds. That will never happen in the NBA. Ever.

But, as PJP mentioned, two great teams playing in the NBA is better than 2 great teams playing in the NHL. But I just prefer basketball.

I agree

The way to decide this is....

Best of seven series with the best of the NBA players suiting up in hockey gear and skates, and playing against the best in the NHL.
smiley_abused.gif

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
Either one is good to watch especially when your favorite team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
NHL for sure, though I haven't watched since my Blackhawks were eliminated. I have no interest in watching other teams. I just get pissed off that Chicago isn't still playing.

I'm not really an NBA fan. I find it boring. I've watched a couple of Pacers games against Orlando, but I wasn't really that into it. I like some of the younger guys on our team (Granger, Hibbert, George), but it's not the same without Reggie Miller. I think they have a good coach in Vogel, and I think the team plays hard for him. They might win this series, but there's no way they get past the Heat. Indiana does not match up well against them at all. If I thought the Pacers had a chance to make it to he finals, I might be more inclined to watch. But their defeat to Miami in the second round is a foregone conclusion. So... meh.

If we're talking this year... NHL.

So far the NBA playoffs have been :sleep:. There's probably only two interesting series (Celtics/Hawks, Clippers/Grizzlies). The rest really aren't worth watching.

Once the NBA gets to the semifinals (maybe even 2nd round), it's the NBA in a landslide.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
I've never been a fan of the NBa playoffs. Contrary to what everyone is saying, the game doesn't change once you get farther into the playoffs. It's still relatively boring, it's just that once you get into the second round you're more likely to see matchups between those teams that have played each other plenty of times and have a history between each other.

That said, the second round of the NHL has been nowhere near as good as the first. I think it's due to the heavy dependance by several of the teams (Phoenix, Nashville, New Jersey) on defence and goaltending. Lots of great saves but too many games in the second round are being won by fluke goals. Once they get to the Conference Finals it should liven the playoffs up considerably since it's looking like LA-Phoenix in the West (Division rivalry) and in the East, the Rangers and Flyers/Devils both have bitter histories while Washington hasn't won the Cup and argurably has the best player still playing right now.

C.K. Lawrence

Closed Account
I haven't watched hockey in some time but the overtimes this year have been pretty exciting in some instances. Hockey traditionally has much better action depending upon which teams are playing unless you line up a Jordan type series with clutch game winners and all that. :2 cents:

NHL for sure, though I haven't watched since my Blackhawks were eliminated. I have no interest in watching other teams. I just get pissed off that Chicago isn't still playing.

I'm not really an NBA fan. I find it boring. I've watched a couple of Pacers games against Orlando, but I wasn't really that into it. I like some of the younger guys on our team (Granger, Hibbert, George), but it's not the same without Reggie Miller. I think they have a good coach in Vogel, and I think the team plays hard for him. They might win this series, but there's no way they get past the Heat. Indiana does not match up well against them at all. If I thought the Pacers had a chance to make it to he finals, I might be more inclined to watch. But their defeat to Miami in the second round is a foregone conclusion. So... meh.

I'm still pissed that the Blackhawks are out, but I've still been watching just because I love hockey (more than basketball, although I watch that as well). I'm even more pissed, though, right now because goddamn Coyotes are still in and going to the East conf. finals. That means 'Go Kings', for now. You never want to see the team who took your team out keep winning, no matter who their opponents are.
I'm watching both playoff series, NHL and NBA, but I'm more locked onto the NHL. If games are on at the same time, then I only check in on NBA during the NHL commercials. NHL is more interesting and more fun and exciting to watch. Less predictable, too, by comparison.

NHL hands down. I've never really seen any thing shocking in the NBA playoffs. The team that's "supposed" to win always wins, usually quite easily. The NHL is different. There's a reason the Stanley Cup is commonly believed the be the hardest trophy to win in all of sports. Literally any of the 16 teams can get hot and battle their way to the finals in any given year. Thus the teams that fight the hardest are actually rewarded.

NHL hands down. I've never really seen any thing shocking in the NBA playoffs. The team that's "supposed" to win always wins, usually quite easily. The NHL is different. There's a reason the Stanley Cup is commonly believed the be the hardest trophy to win in all of sports. Literally any of the 16 teams can get hot and battle their way to the finals in any given year. Thus the teams that fight the hardest are actually rewarded.

That makes no sense. If the Stanley Cup is so difficult to win, then how can 16 different teams win it?

It's more difficult to win a title in the NBA because you need to be a great team top-to-bottom (almost flawless). You can't just catch fire and win a NBA title. The NBA is a league where the best team always wins. If you're not the best, you're not going to win.

Ask Lebron how easy it is to win a NBA title.

Once the NBA gets to the semifinals (maybe even 2nd round), it's the NBA in a landslide.
That's nonsense. Even people that don't watch hockey on ESPN admit the playoffs are the best action in post season pro sports.
That makes no sense. If the Stanley Cup is so difficult to win, then how can 16 different teams win it?

It's more difficult to win a title in the NBA because you need to be a great team top-to-bottom (almost flawless). You can't just catch fire and win a NBA title. The NBA is a league where the best team always wins. If you're not the best, you're not going to win.

Ask Lebron how easy it is to win a NBA title.

Not true. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...p-hardest-trophy-to-win-in-professional-sport

Why is it harder?:

1) Chances

There are 16 teams in playoff contention, only other sport that can claim the same would be the NBA. The NFL only has 12 teams entering the post season, four of which get first-round byes.

But in the NHL, just because you finish first or second doesn't mean you get to skip the first round.

The MLB only has eight teams in playoff contention, therefore at the end of the season each of those eight teams has a 12.5% chance at winning the series. On the other hand, NHL teams entering the first round only have a 6.25% chance.

2) Duration

The winner of the Stanley Cup has to play a minimum of 16 playoff games, and may have to play up 28 total before deemed a champion. Once again the only other league that can claim the same is the NBA. However the NBA just recently, in the past few years, changed their first round format from five games to seven.

The two teams participating in the Superbowl will have played at the most four total playoff games at the conclusion of the championship. A large amount only play in three games in route to a championship.

MLB only has three playoff rounds, consisting of an opening round five game series and two seven game series'. The most one baseball team would have to play is 19 games, just three more than the Stanley Cup Champion's minimum amount of games.

3) Money

All though both the NBA and the NFL have salary cap's that regulate team spending just like the NHL has, the NHL has the lowest cap of all three leagues. Teams are only allowed to spend 50.3 million dollars when piecing together their rosters. The NBA's salary cap is over eight million more, and the NFL's cap is a ridiculous 116 million dollars.

In both the MLB and the NBA, teams in the larger market's draw in more crowds, therefore make more money, and attract more of the league's marquee players. Just take a look at some of the most recent champions of these two leagues.

Recent winners in the MLB include: The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Angels, Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Other than the Rays, who were a surprise playoff team this past season, typically the larger market teams make the playoffs more often then not.

Recent winners in the NBA: Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs, Detroit Pistons, Los Angeles Lakers.

The bigger cities have fared better than teams like the former Seattle Super Sonics turned Oklahoma City Thunder, or the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Milwaukee Bucks, or Memphis Grizzlies.

However most recent Stanley Cup winners include: The Tampa Bay lightning, Anaheim Ducks and the Carolina Hurricanes. These are team's that play in a region that doesn't garner a very large hockey following.

But we have also see recent winners such as the Detroit Red Wings, and the New Jersey Devils who traditionally have had a healthy following of hard-core hockey fans.

The point being, that unlike other sports, you cannot buy a championship.

4) Injuries

The NHL is the only major professional sport that allows fighting. The players who participate in such actions may not disclose any injuries, but the wear and tear on an NHL player's body in 82+ games is more than that of a player in any other sport.

There is similar physical contact in the NFL, but the MLB and NBA don't even come close to the type of physicality endured as a player in the NHL.

All sports have endure major injuries to big-time players but the NHL clearly deals with more minor, nagging injuries than any other sport.

5) It's a TEAM game:

Lebron James single handily got the Cavaliers to the NBA finals. Sydney Crosby wouldn't have gotten to the finals if he didn't have all-star quality teammates in Evgeni Malkin, Marian Hossa, Ryan Whitney and Sergei Gonchar.

The Celtics won the 2007 NBA title with the "big-three." You will never see a Stanley-cup champion boasting that they have a "big-three," it doesn't happen. Three players will not win a team the Stanley Cup.

In the End:

The team that wins the Stanley Cup will have won their league title despite only having a 7% chance at winning the tournament, will have played more play-off games then required by most other sports, have endured more physical pain than any other sport, for a longer period of time, and will have done so using less money than any other professional sport.

Call my final analysis on a run-on if you like, but hey that's how the Stanley Cup is won, it runs on and on and on.

ill take the nba over the nhl everyday.
used to watch the nhl till the lockout and the days till they started to call every little check roughing. knew every colorado avalanche and flyers line up back than and
loved joe sakic. but now dont care anymore.
i think it was very suprising to see the mavs get swept. and the clips comeback was great too.
and its only the first round. wait for the exciting games to happen just a little later;)

That's nonsense. Even people that don't watch hockey on ESPN admit the playoffs are the best action in post season pro sports.

Not true. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...p-hardest-trophy-to-win-in-professional-sport

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

If you're the best team in the NHL entering the playoffs, then sure, the road ahead of you looks tough. But at the same time, one of the worst teams feels like they got a chance.

If you're one of the best teams in the NBA, sure, you like your chances. If you're one of the worst teams in the NBA playoffs you got no chance.