• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL 2008-2009 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll credit his loyalty, but he's too good to remain with TB. He'd be valuable on many contending teams.

Too good to remain in TB ? what's that supposed to mean ? If the team is healthy next year they have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs so I really don't see why hockey should be like baseball and have pretty much all the best players end up with a contending team at one time in their career.

Mauser98k

Closed Account
Too good to remain in TB ? what's that supposed to mean ? If the team is healthy next year they have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs so I really don't see why hockey should be like baseball and have pretty much all the best players end up with a contending team at one time in their career.

exactly. we lost Ranger, Meszaros and Smith all in a short period of time. we were pretty much screwed from there on out. a healthy Lightning team is a dangerous team. 2009-2010 will prove that.

exactly. we lost Ranger, Meszaros and Smith all in a short period of time. we were pretty much screwed from there on out. a healthy Lightning team is a dangerous team. 2009-2010 will prove that.

I give you :glugglug: for being such a solid Tampa Bay fan! Us original six people sometimes forget there can be a passion for serious ice time in a warm climate.

kristoflaw10

Closed Account
Detroit's the shit!!!

... however, the Penguins have Crosby, Malkin and Fleury who are quite young and seem about ready to step their spot into Stanley Cup legend. Sidney Crosby is at the head of the class for the Conn Smythe with Malkin, Staal, Osgood and Cam Ward close behind IMO.

... and, the Hurricanes have already done as much and want that feeling of being on top of the hockey world to return. Eric Staal and Cam Ward have something that just turns on in the play-offs, not to mention Jokinen reminds me a little bit of Claude Lemieux with his hard working grind and big-time plays. They're good!

... the Blackhawks versus the Redwings... Wow! For the Conference title... I like this! I only hope the stage isn't too much for the young 'Hawks, because if they can roll with the 'Wings this match-up could become something over the next couple years. I think the 'Hawks goal-tending situation comes into context in both the series and following the playoffs.

... in any case, I love how these playoffs have turned out this year. :)

I love the enthusiasm you guys have for your team. But we need to be honest about reality; all teams have injuries and yeah TB was hit hard. Half of the teams make the playoffs so I can't say that TB won't have a shot at that, but they will not go from the second worst team in the league to a cup contender. If I'm mistaken, call me out at the end of next season and I will humbly eat my words.

:glugglug: Well thought out post!

I think Detroit is too deep line wise to fail to secure the cup against a possible rematch against Pittsburgh. Their first and second lines match up scoring wise, if Datsyuk can get out of his funk. He is playing hard, but is drawing the opponents best defender. Detroit's 3rd and 4th line are a X factor that other teams just dont have. The 7th game was won by the lesser stars on the team Hurdler, Helm, Cleary etc.

While I do agree that Detroit has more overall depth, I have to disagree with their third line being as good as Pittsburgh's. Jordan Staal, Matt Cooke, and Tyler Kennedy have been the best third line in the playoffs thus far. The main reason why I think Pitt will win the Cup though is that to me they've raised their game to a level that no one else in this postseason, including the Red Wings, have done. They've all elevated their level of skill and absolutely refuse to give up on a play, a game, a comeback, it's been pretty impressive. However, beating the Red Wings is a whole different mountain to climb, and I know that, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens if they do end up matching up for Lord Stanley's Cup.

While I do agree that Detroit has more overall depth, I have to disagree with their third line being as good as Pittsburgh's. Jordan Staal, Matt Cooke, and Tyler Kennedy have been the best third line in the playoffs thus far. The main reason why I think Pitt will win the Cup though is that to me they've raised their game to a level that no one else in this postseason, including the Red Wings, have done. They've all elevated their level of skill and absolutely refuse to give up on a play, a game, a comeback, it's been pretty impressive. However, beating the Red Wings is a whole different mountain to climb, and I know that, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens if they do end up matching up for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Both the Red Wings and Pens required 7 games to close out. Both teams only had 1 dominate scoring game. Osgood has played better than Fluery. So I have not seen either team rising above it all.

If it happens, the Wings in Six...

:glugglug:

I love the enthusiasm you guys have for your team. But we need to be honest about reality; all teams have injuries and yeah TB was hit hard. Half of the teams make the playoffs so I can't say that TB won't have a shot at that, but they will not go from the second worst team in the league to a cup contender. If I'm mistaken, call me out at the end of next season and I will humbly eat my words.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves ... They will start by making the playoffs then who knows . I'm not ready to call them a cup contending team just yet .

Both the Red Wings and Pens required 7 games to close out. Both teams only had 1 dominate scoring game. Osgood has played better than Fluery. So I have not seen either team rising above it all.

If it happens, the Wings in Six...

:glugglug:

I respect your opinion, but I'm sorry to have to disagree again. None of the Red Wings forwards have had stellar postseasons thus far. In fact, Franzen and Zetterberg are the only Detroit forwards playing up to the level we should all expect from them. Datsyuk has only one goal all playoffs, Hossa has just 7 points in 11 games, and Holmstrom only has 2 goals. Franzen leads the team in scoring with 15 points. Compare that to Pittsburgh and maybe you'll see what I'm saying. Crosby has 12 goals and 21 points so far and Malkin isn't far behind with 19 points. That just goes to show that they've raised their level of play and the Detroit forwards have not. You're right that Osgood has played much better than Fleury so far, but I don't think that goaltending will be the difference if these two teams meet in the Cup Final. The determination of Crosby and Malkin will be the difference, as it has been so far throughout the playoffs.

member979979

Closed Account
How is it that in the NBA game 7's tomorrow (Rockets vs Lakers & Magic vs Celtics) got a 2-day lay off, and the NHL strains players like cheap minimum wage labor?

I still say that back to back Caps/Pens game was bullshit!

How is it that in the NBA game 7's tomorrow (Rockets vs Lakers & Magic vs Celtics) got a 2-day lay off, and the NHL strains players like cheap minimum wage labor?

I still say that back to back Caps/Pens game was bullshit!

Because for the most part hockey players are tough SOB's and basketball players are whiney little primadonna's. :2 cents:

I respect your opinion, but I'm sorry to have to disagree again. None of the Red Wings forwards have had stellar postseasons thus far. In fact, Franzen and Zetterberg are the only Detroit forwards playing up to the level we should all expect from them. Datsyuk has only one goal all playoffs, Hossa has just 7 points in 11 games, and Holmstrom only has 2 goals. Franzen leads the team in scoring with 15 points. Compare that to Pittsburgh and maybe you'll see what I'm saying. Crosby has 12 goals and 21 points so far and Malkin isn't far behind with 19 points. That just goes to show that they've raised their level of play and the Detroit forwards have not. You're right that Osgood has played much better than Fleury so far, but I don't think that goaltending will be the difference if these two teams meet in the Cup Final. The determination of Crosby and Malkin will be the difference, as it has been so far throughout the playoffs.

Franzen & Zetterberg with the keys to last years run to Stanley Last year Malkin & Crosby had the same kind of stats, both incredible players. The BEST TEAM wins, not invidual players. Yes Datsyuk has not elevate his play, yet at least scoring wise, but defensively he has proven very fine. We have a better overall in IMHO defense as well. With +/- we really have a soild game with Franzen, Zetterberg, Ericsson, Lidstrom, Lidstrom far better than the Pens. Guerin is the only person on the Pens on the leaderboard.

I am hoping for a rematch!

Franzen & Zetterberg with the keys to last years run to Stanley Last year Malkin & Crosby had the same kind of stats, both incredible players. The BEST TEAM wins, not invidual players. Yes Datsyuk has not elevate his play, yet at least scoring wise, but defensively he has proven very fine. We have a better overall in IMHO defense as well. With +/- we really have a soild game with Franzen, Zetterberg, Ericsson, Lidstrom, Lidstrom far better than the Pens. Guerin is the only person on the Pens on the leaderboard.

I am hoping for a rematch!

The Pens +/- isn't as good because they had to go through the Flyers and then the Capitals, a much tougher road than the Blue Jackets and the Ducks, plus they've lost two more games than the Red Wings have overall, which is obviously going to adversely affect their +/-. Crosby only had 6 goals through 27 games last playoffs and already has 12 through 13 this playoffs, so his stats are nothing like they were last year. But you could be right about their defence and goaltending may be a factor, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens and whose prediction holds true. Man, I love the playoffs. :glugglug:

I was so pissed off. I had to leave for work at the end of the first. Glad to see the Wings won though.

Status
Not open for further replies.