• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL '11/'12 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Obviously my homer pick is a Vancouver/Boston final with the Canucks winning, but I'm going to go with my gut feeling in these picks.

Western Conference Quarterfinals:

Vancouver Canucks Vs. Los Angeles Kings - Canucks in six (The Canucks are simply better. Quick will win a game or two for the Kings but Luongo will be playing to win.)
St. Louis Blues Vs. San Jose Sharks - Blues in five (The Sharks will be embarassed this year and there are going to be huge changes this off-season.)
Phoenix Coyotes Vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Coyotes in seven (The Coyotes are on fire and if Smith plays like he has been the Hawks won't have an answer for him. Plus Doan is an absolute beast in the playoffs.)
Nashville Predators Vs. Detroit Red Wings - Red Wings in six (I desperately want to see the Predators make a run this year but I just have a feeling the Red Wings will be able to handle them without problems. I really hope I'm wrong though, because the Predators can win the Cup and I don't think the Wings can.)

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals:

New York Rangers Vs. Ottawa Senators - Rangers in seven (For some reason, I see the Senators being a tough team for the Rangers to eliminate, but the Blueshirts are just too good to be stopped in the first round.)
Boston Bruins Vs. Washington Capitals - Bruins in four (Washington has no chance to win with their goalie problems and Ovechkin won't be a factor against a defensive powerhouse like the Bruins.)
Florida Panthers Vs. New Jersey Devils - Devils in six (If the Panthers keep playing like they have been, they'll get knocked out in four. If Theodore can remember how to stop the puck, they'll last a little longer, but the Devils are better than their position suggests.)
Pittsburgh Penguins Vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Flyers in seven (This series is going to be great. Both teams are equally matched, but the Flyers are the more powerful team. They'll knock the Penguins around if they have to. I'm also predicting the winner of this series will not win the Cup. They'll be too beat up to play three more series.)

Western Conference Semifinals:

Vancouver Canucks Vs. Detroit Red Wings - Red Wings in six (I just have a feeling that, even though Vancouver is the superior team, Detroit will go far in these playoffs.)
St. Louis Blues Vs. Phoenix Coyotes - Blues in five (Would be an awesome goaltending battle, but I'd count on the Blues basically suffocating the Coyotes every game. Score a goal or two and use their defence to beat them.)

Eastern Conference Semifinals:

New York Rangers Vs. New Jersey Devils - Rangers in six (Pretty good matchup, but I'd take the Rangers' goaltending and defence over the Devils' offence.)
Boston Bruins Vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Flyers in five (I don't see Thomas standing on his head again this postseason. Everyone said the Bruins beat the Canucks last year because they were the tougher team, and here they'd lose to the toughest team in the league.)

Western Conference Finals:

St. Louis Blues Vs. Detroit Red Wings - Blues in seven (Like I said, the Wings don't have it in them to win the Cup. They'll get close, but the Blues will barely be able to stop them.)

Eastern Conference Finals:

New York Rangers Vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Rangers in six (The Flyers will simply be too drained to top the best team in the East.)

Stanley Cup Finals:

New York Rangers Vs. St. Louis Blues - Rangers in six (Both teams could win, but in an actual matchup I believe the Rangers would come out on top.)

The Conn Smythe winner will be Lundqvist. I think he'll be just as good as Thomas was last year.

After last year you can call me paranoid, but I'm cautious over the Canucks' chances. I expect them to win, of course, but I'm not going to be surprised if they end up losing a series to a team like the Wings or Predators. We'll see, though!

Last edited:
Obviously my homer pick is a Vancouver/Boston final with the Canucks winning, but I'm going to go with my gut feeling in these picks.

Western Conference Quarterfinals:

Vancouver Canucks Vs. Los Angeles Kings - Canucks in six (The Canucks are simply better. Quick will win a game or two for the Kings but Luongo will be playing to win.)
St. Louis Blues Vs. San Jose Sharks - Blues in five (The Sharks will be embarassed this year and there are going to be huge changes this off-season.)
Phoenix Coyotes Vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Coyotes in seven (The Coyotes are on fire and if Smith plays like he has been the Hawks won't have an answer for him. Plus Doan is an absolute beast in the playoffs.)
Nashville Predators Vs. Detroit Red Wings - Red Wings in six (I desperately want to see the Predators make a run this year but I just have a feeling the Red Wings will be able to handle them without problems. I really hope I'm wrong though, because the Predators can win the Cup.)

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals:

New York Rangers Vs. Ottawa Senators - Rangers in seven (For some reason, I see the Senators being a tough team for the Rangers to eliminate, but the Blueshirts are just too good to be stopped in the first round.)
Boston Bruins Vs. Washington Capitals - Bruins in four (Washington has no chance to win with their goalie problems and Ovechkin won't be a factor against a defensive powerhouse like the Bruins.)
Florida Panthers Vs. New Jersey Devils - Devils in six (If the Panthers keep playing like they have been, they'll get knocked out in four. If Theodore can remember how to stop the puck, they'll last a little longer, but the Devils are better than their position suggests.)
Pittsburgh Penguins Vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Flyers in seven (This series is going to be great. Both teams are equally matched, but the Flyers are the more powerful team. They'll knock the Penguins around if they have to. I'm also predicting the winner of this series will not win the Cup. They'll be too beat up to play three more series.)

Western Conference Semifinals:

Vancouver Canucks Vs. Detroit Red Wings - Red Wings in six (I just have a feeling that, even though Vancouver is the superior team, Detroit will go far in these playoffs.)
St. Louis Blues Vs. Phoenix Coyotes - Blues in five (Would be an awesome goaltending battle, but I'd count on the Blues basically suffocating the Coyotes every game. Score a goal or two and use their defence to beat them.)

Eastern Conference Semifinals:

New York Rangers Vs. New Jersey Devils - Rangers in six (Pretty good matchup, but I'd take the Rangers' goaltending and defence over the Devils' offence.)
Boston Bruins Vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Flyers in five (I don't see Thomas standing on his head again this postseason. Everyone said the Bruins beat the Canucks last year because they were the tougher team, and here they'd lose to the toughest team in the league.)

Western Conference Finals:

St. Louis Blues Vs. Detroit Red Wings - Blues in seven (Like I said, the Wings don't have it in them to win the Cup. They'll get close, but the Blues will barely be able to stop them.)

Eastern Conference Finals:

New York Rangers Vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Rangers in six (The Flyers will simply be too drained to top the best team in the East.)

Stanley Cup Finals:

New York Rangers Vs. St. Louis Blues - Rangers in six (Both teams could win, but in an actual matchup I believe the Rangers would come out on top.)

The Conn Smythe winner will be Lundqvist. I think he'll be just as good as Thomas was last year.

After last year you can call me paranoid, but I'm cautious over the Canucks' chances. I expect them to win, of course, but I'm not going to be surprised if they end up losing a series to a team like the Wings or Predators. We'll see, though!

I concur (or at least want) this. :yesyes:

Also, award predictions:

Hart Memorial Trophy: Evgeni Malkin (PIT) - considering what he did this year and how good the Penguins were without Crosby for most of the year, he's gonna be the MVP and he probably should be
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Jordan Eberle (EDM) - it's about time someone new won this award and Eberle scored 76 points with just 10 penalty minutes
Vezina Trophy: Henrik Lundqvist (NYR) - such a tight race between Lundqvist and Jonathan Quick
Calder Memorial Trophy: Gabriel Landeskog (COL) - another really tight race with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (who tied for the rookie scoring lead with 20 fewer games played) and Adam Henrique (who had one fewer point than the other two and played for a playoff team, which often factors into the voters' decisions), but Landeskog had more goals and the best +/- and played the whole season, which also factors into the voters' decisions
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Erik Karlsson (OTT) - scored 25 more points than any other defenceman and led all defencemen in takeaways as well
Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy: Jonas Hiller (ANA) - there are a couple of other notable candidates, such as Manny Malhotra and Max Pacioretty, but Hiller started more games than any other goaltender this year and he was coming off a season in which he struggled with vertigo, which is not easy to overcome
Ted Lindsay Award: Evgeni Malkin (PIT)
Jack Adams Award: Ken Hitchcock (STL) - no one expected St. Louis to be this good; I really like Paul MacLean in Ottawa, but this is Hitchcock's year
Frank J. Selke Trophy: Ryan O'Reilly (COL) - this may be a hopeful prediction because even when it comes to the award for the best defensive forward in the league, the voters often vote for the biggest superstar (not that Pavel Datsyuk hasn't deserved the award in the past), but this year there should be no question that O'Reilly was the best defensive forward in the NHL; led the league in takeaways, had fewer giveaways than any other player in the top five in takeaways, blocked 50 shots (which was more than any other player in the top eight in takeaways), had 62 hits (which is definitely good for a forward), won 762 faceoffs for 52.8%, and did all that while only taking 12 penalty minutes; that is incredible, if he doesn't win the Selke then I will have lost faith in the voters, what a season!

Also, award predictions:

Hart Memorial Trophy: Evgeni Malkin (PIT) - considering what he did this year and how good the Penguins were without Crosby for most of the year, he's gonna be the MVP and he probably should be
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy: Jordan Eberle (EDM) - it's about time someone new won this award and Eberle scored 76 points with just 10 penalty minutes
Vezina Trophy: Henrik Lundqvist (NYR) - such a tight race between Lundqvist and Jonathan Quick
Calder Memorial Trophy: Gabriel Landeskog (COL) - another really tight race with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (who tied for the rookie scoring lead with 20 fewer games played) and Adam Henrique (who had one fewer point than the other two and played for a playoff team, which often factors into the voters' decisions), but Landeskog had more goals and the best +/- and played the whole season, which also factors into the voters' decisions
James Norris Memorial Trophy: Erik Karlsson (OTT) - scored 25 more points than any other defenceman and led all defencemen in takeaways as well
Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy: Jonas Hiller (ANA) - there are a couple of other notable candidates, such as Manny Malhotra and Max Pacioretty, but Hiller started more games than any other goaltender this year and he was coming off a season in which he struggled with vertigo, which is not easy to overcome
Ted Lindsay Award: Evgeni Malkin (PIT)
Jack Adams Award: Ken Hitchcock (STL) - no one expected St. Louis to be this good; I really like Paul MacLean in Ottawa, but this is Hitchcock's year
Frank J. Selke Trophy: Ryan O'Reilly (COL) - this may be a hopeful prediction because even when it comes to the award for the best defensive forward in the league, the voters often vote for the biggest superstar (not that Pavel Datsyuk hasn't deserved the award in the past), but this year there should be no question that O'Reilly was the best defensive forward in the NHL; led the league in takeaways, had fewer giveaways than any other player in the top five in takeaways, blocked 50 shots (which was more than any other player in the top eight in takeaways), had 62 hits (which is definitely good for a forward), won 762 faceoffs for 52.8%, and did all that while only taking 12 penalty minutes; that is incredible, if he doesn't win the Selke then I will have lost faith in the voters, what a season!

Also, biggest clunker/shit-the-bed of a team award: Minnesota Wild. :dickhead:

The hardcores on my NHL forum are going monkeyshit over this team right now. No one knows what will happen with them this offseason but they are just following the trend of every other damned MN pro sports team. Lots of prospects are coming in though and we will be 19 million under cap. Said that we want the local boy Parise to come in and give them a lift (he recently bought a mansion on Minnetonka - Byfuglien and many the Timberwolves, Vikings and Twins have houses there as well) and all the ties he has to the area make it more appealing but I'd much rather we stock up on some D talent - real D talent, not the monkeys we put on the ice this year.

^ ive read interviews where parise said he wished minnesota had drafted him.

Never heard that. Him and Gabby on a line would've been insane. They would've killed it. He went to SDU - his wife did as well - and his dad coaches at Shattuck where he and Crosby and Toews and a bunch of other NHLers have played prep.

L.A was the 2nd worst offensive team in the league and Quick carried them to the playoffs. What did Lunqvist do besides stop a couple pucks here and there?

L.A was the 2nd worst offensive team in the league and Quick carried them to the playoffs. What did Lunqvist do besides stop a couple pucks here and there?

both are great, but id give the edge to quick. like stdiva said, theres not much help in front of him, and the rangers are always trying to build an all star team. perhaps if the rangers do win the cup, the msg channel can stop playing "the spring of 94" 20 times a week...

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement

Quick didn't carry the team to the playoffs. He led the team, but they weren't even in the playoffs till they traded for Carter and the offense caught fire. Meanwhile, Lundvist had what is probably his best year ever, led his team to second in the league and is long overdue for the award to begin with.

flylicker

Quick didn't carry the team to the playoffs. He led the team, but they weren't even in the playoffs till they traded for Carter and the offense caught fire. Meanwhile, Lundvist had what is probably his best year ever, led his team to second in the league and is long overdue for the award to begin with.

flylicker

Quick had 10 shutouts, to lead the league; second best GAA of1.95 (I think we all agree Elliot didn't play enough to win); was 1/10 of a percentage point behind Lundqvist in SV% .929 vs. .930; played 7 more games than Lundqvist (that's 11% more games); really the only stat Lundqvist has him on is wins, however second least Goals per Game for LA and 11th most in NYC. Quick was tied for the league lead in OTL with 13, Lundqvist had 5. If all we assume is that we balance out the offense between the two teams and add .4GPG to LA; then Quick wins 6 of those 13 OTLs and now would have 41 wins versus Lundqvist's 39.

Yes Lundqvist deserves a lifetime achievement award for being among the best for numerous years. But the fact of the matter is Qucik was a better goalie with much less support. Even Martin Biron went 12-6-2 for the Rangers!

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
I am still not sure which goalie the Blues are going to start, it's going to be interested.

I'd take that trade if I was Montreal. They have to realize their team is shit. 2 top 3 picks isn't a bad way to rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.