• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

NHL '09/'10 Season Thread

I know there's a lot of Canadians on this thread, and I know every Canadian hockey fan can't wait for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver less than a year from now. So, for fun, I will choose the players I'd like to see represent Canada this time around.

Forwards: Sidney Crosby, Jarome Iginla, Dany Heatley, Eric Staal, Joe Sakic (if he's still up to it), Rick Nash, Brenden Morrow, Mike Richards, Shane Doan, Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis.

Defencemen: Scott Niedermayer, Mike Green, Jay Bouwmeester, Dion Phaneuf, Eric Brewer (he was on the Salt Lake City team that won gold and he's a great leader and one of the best one-on-one shutdown defencemen in the world), Dan Boyle.

Goalies: Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Cam Ward. Didn't even have to think about that one.

Others on the radar (forwards): Ryan Getzlaf, Marc Savard, Jonathan Toews, Ryan Smyth (my favourite player, but probably not actually on the radar as much anymore, he's already won a gold medal though), Mike Cammalleri, Jason Spezza, Simon Gagne, Jeff Carter, Patrick Marleau, Derek Roy.

Defencemen: Chris Pronger (I hope not), Shea Weber, Sheldon Souray, Brian Campbell, Ed Jovanovski, Bryan McCabe.

Goalies: Marc-Andre Fleury, Steve Mason, Marty Turco (if he can rebound from a really poor season), Chris Osgood, Carey Price (if he can find it again), Martin Biron (very slight chance).

Who would make your Team Canada roster?

And don't forget to watch the awards show tonight.

Forwards

Sidney Crosby
Vincent Lecavlier
Dany Heatley
Rick Nash
Joe Thornton
Ryan Getzlaf
Eric Staal
Jordan Staal
Jeff Carter
Jarome Iginla
Shane Doan

I don't think Sakic will be playing...but if he decides to, he'll get a spot.

Defense

Dion Phaneuf
Eric Brewer
Jay Bouwmeester
Mike Green
Shea Webber
Chris Pronger

Goaltender

Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Marc-Andre Fleury

Cam Ward is basically the only other goalie I can see getting the 3rd spot and as of now, Marc-Andre Fleury should be ahead of him. We'll have to see how they're playing next season.

Sturm, Hecht, Ehrhoff, Seidenberg, Greiss for Germany 2010!

so glad we qualified for Vancouver, hope we´ll perform well and wont losse with double digits :D

btw: AO von the Hart Trophy as MVP and Lester b. Pearson
Thomas - Vezina
Chara - Norris
Mason - Calder
Datsyuk - Selke/Byng
Julien (BOS) - Adams (Coach of the Year)

And Iggy got the Mark Messier Award for outstanding leadership! Go Iggy, Go Flames!

Forwards

Sidney Crosby
Vincent Lecavlier
Dany Heatley
Rick Nash
Joe Thornton
Ryan Getzlaf
Eric Staal
Jordan Staal
Jeff Carter
Jarome Iginla
Shane Doan

I don't think Sakic will be playing...but if he decides to, he'll get a spot.

Defense

Dion Phaneuf
Eric Brewer
Jay Bouwmeester
Mike Green
Shea Webber
Chris Pronger

Goaltender

Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Marc-Andre Fleury

Cam Ward is basically the only other goalie I can see getting the 3rd spot and as of now, Marc-Andre Fleury should be ahead of him. We'll have to see how they're playing next season.

I really like the idea of Jordan Staal making the team, that's a really good pick because he's such a good defensive forward, it's probably a good idea to add him along with all of the great scorers we're going to have. Good call.

Sturm, Hecht, Ehrhoff, Seidenberg, Greiss for Germany 2010!

so glad we qualified for Vancouver, hope we´ll perform well and wont losse with double digits :D

btw: AO von the Hart Trophy as MVP and Lester b. Pearson
Thomas - Vezina
Chara - Norris
Mason - Calder
Datsyuk - Selke/Byng
Julien (BOS) - Adams (Coach of the Year)

And Iggy got the Mark Messier Award for outstanding leadership! Go Iggy, Go Flames!

I am very happy with the awards, I'd say they got basically everything right. I'm especially happy that Chara won the Norris; he was by far the most deserving, but I was pretty sure that Mike Green would win it because of his superior offensive numbers, but the writers got it right and awarded it to Chara. I actually cheered as if the Oilers had just scored a goal in overtime of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals when they announced Chara's name. Jean Beliveau was a nice thing to see as well. Overall though, the show lacked any true entertainment value and they need to do a better job next time around.

I was really happy about Tim Thomas winning the Vezina , that guy never gave up even though many people underestimate him. Way to go ! :hatsoff:

member979979

Closed Account
I thought the awards were great.

Wasnt too long
No wack musical performances
Quick speeches
No annoying hosts trying to be funny.

Sort of reminded me of the AVN awards.

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
Um.............GO PENS!!!!!! :D

SN 09-10' Power Poll

1 Pens
2 Wings
3 Hawks
4 Sharks
5 Caps
6 Bruins
7 Devils
8 Canucks
9 Canes
10 Ducks
11 Flyers
12 Blues
13 Flames
14 Rangers
15 Stars

hopefully the flames will finally make it through the first playoff round...
ok, lucky enough we had 5 consecutive postseason... but the post-lockout postseasons were sooo bad!
but like every summer, the tone in calgary will be: this time, we´ll get all the way!
same procedure as every year :D

for the other 29: i hope that the kings, yotes and panthers will finally make the PO´s again. they were so much fun to watch at times last season...
and it will be really interesting to see if the leafs will finally make it to the POs again. would be nice, as long as the habs are sub8th ;)
and i wait for a season when playing time ends early in detroit, but i guess they are still a secure postseason member for some years to come!

GO FLAMES GO

Teams I will be watching next year.

Kings better make some noise this year. They are quietly building a solid young team. A poor mans Chicago, but better defensively...and no goalie. I wanna see them use that cap space too.

San Jose. Anything short of making it to the Finals will be choking. Same goes for Calgary. They are such a stacked team. No excuses this year.

Detroit. They are Detroit. We can probably expect a Conference Finals appearance from them. At least.

Pittsburgh. I'm scared to think of the confidence this team gained this past season. They were already good. Now they know they're better then everyone.

Chicago. I thought this may be the year Detroit is removed from atop the Central Division. But then I remembered Chicago has Huet in net.

Free agency is coming up soon. Anybody in particular you'd like to see your team pick up?

Since I don't really know what the Wings are missing, I'll move to my second favourite team. Los Angeles.

I'd like to see a solid, defensive minded veteran added to their line up. Like Peca maybe. Fedotenko. Bring Rob Blake back for 1 more year. Let him retire a King. Also, I think they should sign Martin Biron. Since Emery is in Philly, Biron isn't needed. And L.A needs a goalie. I thought Labarbera might have been the answer, but they got rid of him. Hmm. He's a free agent :)

Teams I will be watching next year.

Kings better make some noise this year. They are quietly building a solid young team. A poor mans Chicago, but better defensively...and no goalie. I wanna see them use that cap space too.
I think they should go with Quick, he played solid last year. and with that experienced, and a better defense, i think he should get the job done as a starter.

San Jose. Anything short of making it to the Finals will be choking. Same goes for Calgary. They are such a stacked team. No excuses this year.
Agree, but i think san jose will have much more competition in the pacific this year. as for calgary, again i wait for the big season, and as every year, i believe the 09/10 campaign could be it!

Detroit. They are Detroit. We can probably expect a Conference Finals appearance from them. At least.
agree, but definetly do not hope so ;)

Pittsburgh. I'm scared to think of the confidence this team gained this past season. They were already good. Now they know they're better then everyone.
plus, they´ll get rid off satan and maybe some other overpaid oldies, to add one or two star free agents. maybe armstrong or christensen could come back in a trade. that would be nice (for them and the pens). and i guess the pens would love to see a bit more consistency from flower (although he is one of the best already)

Chicago. I thought this may be the year Detroit is removed from atop the Central Division. But then I remembered Chicago has Huet in net.
Maybe this year. and expect CMB and STL to do some trouble in the central as well. tough year for the wings i guess

Free agency is coming up soon. Anybody in particular you'd like to see your team pick up?

Since I don't really know what the Wings are missing, I'll move to my second favourite team. Los Angeles.

I'd like to see a solid, defensive minded veteran added to their line up. Like Peca maybe. Fedotenko. Bring Rob Blake back for 1 more year. Let him retire a King. Also, I think they should sign Martin Biron. Since Emery is in Philly, Biron isn't needed. And L.A needs a goalie. I thought Labarbera might have been the answer, but they got rid of him. Hmm. He's a free agent :)
as mentioned above, give Jonathan Quick a try ;)
for calgary, i dont believe there will be too much action in the postseason cause of the bad cap problems. got a bad feeling cammalleri will leave, but still hope he´ll stay. if he should go, the flames better look for another first class forward. but the main thing this year for the flames will be to keep on give the youngsters some icetime. we got some nifty prospects ready for the nhl, and some who played already last year and have to improve or at least play as good as last year (boyd, moss, nystrom...)

replies above in red ;)

ok. TB improves to at least 8th seed this season. just wait and see.

I think it depends on what they do with Vinny lecavalier. If they keep him and draft Victor Hedman then we will have a team good enough to make the playoffs. If they trade Lecavalier , it's going to have to be a damn good return for the team to be good. So I don't think they trade Vinny to Montreal because they really don't have anything to make the Lightning better ( except for Markov of course but they won't give him up ) . In the end I really hope they keep Lecavalier , he's the face of the franchise.

Mauser98k

Closed Account
I think it depends on what they do with Vinny lecavalier. If they keep him and draft Victor Hedman then we will have a team good enough to make the playoffs. If they trade Lecavalier , it's going to have to be a damn good return for the team to be good. So I don't think they trade Vinny to Montreal because they really don't have anything to make the Lightning better ( except for Markov of course but they won't give him up ) . In the end I really hope they keep Lecavalier , he's the face of the franchise.

Lecavalier is going nowhere. i'll stake my reputation on that.