• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Mozilla FireFox - just switched over to

I agree Firefox is better than IE 6, but I like IE 7 better than both. Maybe because I am just used to it.

Facetious

Moderated
I don't even know which version of IE I'm using. :tongue:
Me neither! Just work baby !

Are the most of us really on the up and up, akin to all the gadgets, versions, excesories, extensions, etc.?
Sorry for the tone , not intended, just a curio. He!!, I cannot even figure out some "simple" download ops !

About a year ago, I just sort of let it go ! I'm of the opinion that there's too godam much obsolescence engineered into technology. Too much time and $$$.

I prefer to have something stashed for retirement granted, it's a ways off.

Time to go see which version O'Fire Fox we're runnin'. . . . cool ! free download ? :nanner:

All the best ~

^FF is indeed a free download: no nags, no pop ups, adware and spyware free. I have been using IE6 and then IE7 for eternity: FF wins and rules in every department :thumbsup:

Security issues with browsers are reality ...

^Please do take heed of what I said (if you have not already updated):
"Bad hair day for alternative browser users: There's bad news for users of alternative browsers this Friday, with both Opera and Firefox subject to security vulnerabilities."
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/19/alt_browser_vulns/
Security issues with browsers are reality, especially with piss-poor hacks that are now standard like cookies and Javascript.
But Firefox and Opera address issues, most of the time, they can only be exploited on Windows.

Some of these fixes address things that Microsoft refuses to address in IE, because they are at the core of the OS too.
And that includes several critical exploits that are now 3+ years old, things that Firefox, Opera, etc... for Windows have to continually and selectively patch (or otherwise things just break).

Again, Microsoft takes "the easy way out," they have pledged to never patch those issues, because they would break how Windows automates things, and the effort to selectively patch IE would cause more updates (like Firefox and Opera).

Re: Security issues with browsers are reality ...

I've been using FF for a while now. I try not to use anything Microsoft anymore. IMO Microsoft is like a virus waiting to happen.

A lot of better than MS software was pushed out of business or nearly hangs on as a result of a direct hit in their pocketbooks during the development of Windows. Netscape Composer, (and browser, now Firefox), was a far better HTML page tool than MS Frontpage, with more sophisticated but very simple formatting controls and simplier operation, and I thought Word Perfect was far superior to BS, (I mean MS), Word. It allowed you to easily customize a greater number of functions into buttons. MS Word is a watered down version that doesn't do half as much as easily.

Security issues with browsers are reality, especially with piss-poor hacks that are now standard like cookies and Javascript.
But Firefox and Opera address issues, most of the time, they can only be exploited on Windows.

Some of these fixes address things that Microsoft refuses to address in IE, because they are at the core of the OS too.
And that includes several critical exploits that are now 3+ years old, things that Firefox, Opera, etc... for Windows have to continually and selectively patch (or otherwise things just break).

Again, Microsoft takes "the easy way out," they have pledged to never patch those issues, because they would break how Windows automates things, and the effort to selectively patch IE would cause more updates (like Firefox and Opera).

I'm not used to the formatting differences on FO's front page for example. In the list of new threads in forums, it shifts the date onto a new line I think. Also the Win sounds I created are gone. However I did install both Firefox and Thunderbird on my laptop, so with their added security, that should be fine.

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
After about 3 years of only using FF with IE tabs for the sites that just won't work with FF, I had to start using IE at work. Ugh! FF makes the world a better place imo.

The one feature I absolutely LOVE is no pop-up ads (they still manage to squeeze through on IE, even with the pop-up blockers on) and then all the plug-ins I can get.

I've been using IE and I havn't had any problems with it, but maybe I'll give firefox a try and see how I like it.

It looks and acts the same. Some of the add ons are nice, like the Coolris page preview and others. I'm new to it too. The big thing is the security advantage

After about 3 years of only using FF with IE tabs for the sites that just won't work with FF, I had to start using IE at work. Ugh! FF makes the world a better place imo.

The one feature I absolutely LOVE is no pop-up ads (they still manage to squeeze through on IE, even with the pop-up blockers on) and then all the plug-ins I can get.

You know, I think you're right. I don't notice pop-ups on that FF machine.

I ve been trying to upload a video to veoh video
for ages, I ve tried again and again

today I did some sideways thinking and decided to
change browser

I went on to firefox and bingo the vid
uploaded first time !

where int express beats firefox I think is in the favourits which always work and are easy to use etc

also when I want to save a pic from the net I put the curser over the top left hand corner
and a save icon comes up
I click that
and the documents "save " window comes up

I ve never seen that with any other browser you always seem to have to right click the pic then go down
the drop down menu and click 'save pic' etc

Quite like the 'Restore Previous Session' feature: if (when) Windows crashes you can immediately recall your just recently viewed websites :)

georges

Staff member
FF is more user friendly than IE7 and much more versatile. I however use both including opera sometimes.

And as if you needed another reason to switch to FF:

Firefox will eliminate backdoor trojans as it does not support BHO. BHO (Browser Helper Object - only comes with Internet Explorer) is a spyware vendors backdoor to your browser, where they can take control of key events and hijack your urls.

Vendors will fill your registry with junk and hook their crap onto your browser.

No vendor can add their Window Hooks to any Mozilla browsers (or they will find it increasingly difficult to), which is a life safer when surfing the Internet. You will always be prompted to install when the browser is missing an ActiveX/COM object (PlugIn), whereas with Internet Explorer, Spyware vendors can install their crap without you agreeing to it.

Looking forward to 3.0, I've heard some very good things about the Beta.