• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Microsoft Vista to take over?

Bill Gates is not a nerdy geek, he's a businessman, but a technical moron ...

But it's not a nice thing to say, why would anyone want school kids to stop writing? Can you imagine, if it happened, what everyones handwriting would be like in 40 years time? No one would have a clue. It's a disgusting thought.
Fuck you BillyG.
Bill Gates is not a nerdy geek.
He is a businessman, a brilliant (and cut-throat) one at that.
But he is a total, technical moron!

Microsoft has invented nothing!
Bill Gates screwed NT, he screwed the Internet (said it was a "fad"), etc...
Don't get me started on all his cluster-fucks, and the best people who will tell you about them work (or did work) at Microsoft.

He has never, ever predicted a single technology advance.
Hell, the first time he even heard of the modern tablet was at a tradeshow where Cyrix was sporting one running Linux.
When Gates got pissed off that Cyrix chose Linux, their engineers said they approached Microsoft and -- yet again -- Bill G himself said (as he has said many times before), "oh, that's not worth our bother."

Hell, Microsoft screwed over Pen Computing years earlier by stealing, and burying, their stuff.
Stuff that made its way into the Newton, and everything from there on-ward.
Apple doesn't invent anything original either, but they sure do "pick up" on the trends far better than Microsoft, well before Microsoft.
And Apple sometimes solves even the "open standard" technical issues better and quicker than Linux at times, before we even talk about user interfaces.

Didn't finish a thought there ...

Most of the other code came almost verbatim, including the core API (with access controls added largely from VMS) ...
from OS/2.
OS/2 and Windows NT have the same, API lineage.
Windows 95/98/Me have a direct MS-DOS API lineage, including Int20-3Fh (interrupt 32-64 software calls) at the heart of Windows 95/98/Me, and workarounds like VxDs which Microsoft say execute in "386Enhanced Mode" (yes, it's still at the heart of Windows 95/98/Me, it didn't "die" with Windows 3.11 ;) ).

Microsoft might have killed MS-DOS 7 after Windows Me, but it's influence has clusterfucked NT 3.51 "Daytona" on-ward.

I honestly going to get windows vista it has features that im really looking forward to. Xp is very good but i cant say no too something that is even better.

My solution for this all is simple; Get an Intel Mac, set up Bootcamp with XP and 10.4 for Mac OS. You have two computers in one. :)

Does anyone know more about all this DRM stuff they seem to have bundled into the media player software and such. By the sound of it MS has really pandered to the RIAA/MPAA by making it really difficult to copy/create media with Vista. I don't know the details which is why I'm asking but it sounded like they put all kinds of "safeguards" in that would make "piracy" difficult or impossible, but that this same "protection" can also have a high probability of making false positives...

To me this seems the real reason Billy Gates is releasing VISTA!!!! You can't do nothing without BUYING more from MS, or the Record & Movie Industry!!! And I also don't like that Like X-P, Vista will keep sending more info back to MS everything you do, and load & install. That plain SUCKS !!!

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Re: Didn't finish a thought there ...

Does it drain your resources to run two OS's on a system? Or just memory/HD space?

Not at all. The OS resides on your hard drive, the ROM. Where data stays after you turn your comp off. When you boot up an OS it loads portions of it into the RAM, which is 'temporary' memory.

It should be noted that your HD will be partitioned into different parts if you decide to upgrade to a *nix package. And not parts that windows can recognize, either. Although most *nix can install on FAT32 or NTFS partitions, thats not the best route to go. Since you're not going to do much gaming on *nix, you might as well set aside only a small portion for the OS, the applications.. and whatever other downloads you fancy yourself to. (I have 10 gigs set aside for SuSE 10.1, myself. SuSE isnt the most popular Linux distro by far.. but I'm fond of the huge application library it comes with. ;)

Here comes my usual suggestion: Do a search on Linux LiveCD's. They can boot off a CD and save you the hassle of partitioning, package installation, and hopefully hardware configuration. Like the Prof said, MS gets the compatibility 'for free'. If you have a generic PC, you probably wont have a problem. But add some new hardware, use a strange NIC or soundcard... hey, potluck if everything runs without a hitch from a fresh install.

Also.. set aside an entire month to learn *nix. You can get a hands-free installation up and running, sure.. but it's a lot more work than windows overall. Dont let me scare ya, just remember it's DIFFERENT. Everybody wants something different, better.. but rarely puts the work into finding the nooks and crannies of a new OS.

My solution for this all is simple; Get an Intel Mac, set up Bootcamp with XP and 10.4 for Mac OS. You have two computers in one. :)

Yeah, that's a choice.. but there is no easy answer for people that are sick of windows. Without going into the hypocrisy of saying it's user-friendly.. it's what everyone knows, yet still find indecipherable when something goes wrong. An Apple apologist or a *nix power user can throw around all the wisdom and intelligence they've gathered in their tenure.. but it falls on deaf ears because people are generally happy with internet explorer, a couple games and some semblance of compatibility as opposed to performance, stability and ultimate control over their system.

I honestly going to get windows vista it has features that im really looking forward to. Xp is very good but i cant say no too something that is even better.

Have you even looked into it, or are you too wowed by the GUI and the hype?

Your PC's security most likely isnt up to snuff with the current version of windows you're running, and you're eager to jump ship for a NEW WINDOWS OS?!? Brother... this isnt the jump from 98 to 98SE, this is like the jump to Win2K from 95. Driver support will be flaky for the first year. Performance will be utter crap even with the newest systems from the bloated new "Features" you wont..arent using already. Optimizing it all will take half the OS's life cycle. Internet security is a true issue these days, and MS is hardly one to tout their own security.

from OS/2.
OS/2 and Windows NT have the same, API lineage.
Windows 95/98/Me have a direct MS-DOS API lineage, including Int20-3Fh (interrupt 32-64 software calls) at the heart of Windows 95/98/Me, and workarounds like VxDs which Microsoft say execute in "386Enhanced Mode" (yes, it's still at the heart of Windows 95/98/Me, it didn't "die" with Windows 3.11 ;) ).

Microsoft might have killed MS-DOS 7 after Windows Me, but it's influence has clusterfucked NT 3.51 "Daytona" on-ward.

I came. I read. I want a dozen pale ales to weep for the years past, they looked promising at the beginning..

Anyway, I think everyone else is wowed by the new GUI and forgets about their bread and butter needs. Application speed, music and movie access.. (DRM is a whole 'nother discussion) and the majority of people simply arent ready for the OS with their current comps... Sub-1000$ PC's, integrated A/V and little familiarity with the OS as it is.

Re: Didn't finish a thought there ...

Here comes my usual suggestion: Do a search on Linux LiveCD's.
They can boot off a CD and save you the hassle of partitioning, package installation, and hopefully hardware configuration.
Live Linux CDs are great for everything from temporary "trial" to running MAME and other emulators for old gaming, all separate from your "working" Windows install.
Like the Prof said, MS gets the compatibility 'for free'.
If you have a generic PC, you probably wont have a problem.
But add some new hardware, use a strange NIC or soundcard... hey, potluck if everything runs without a hitch from a fresh install.
Although kernel 2.6 has excellent ACPI and other detection support, there's a lot of low-end, ultra-crappy hardware (essentially a few wires, maybe a cheap DSP, all 100% software driven) out there.
That's what keeps hardware prices down, so it keeps PCs down.

In the end, I find I recommend running Open Source applications on Windows 2000 or XP far more than Linux itself.
Not because Linux is an issue, but it's too much of a "jump" for most people -- everything from the "UNIX mindset**" to data in proprietary formats.
**NOTE: Linux is not "harder to use" in any regard, but for people used to assuming how Windows works, it is.
I've honestly known several people who grew up 100% on Linux, and they have trouble using Windows.

Also.. set aside an entire month to learn *nix.
No joke. And I can't stand the "oh, it's like DOS" bullshit, it's not (period).
It's a major shift in how you approach things, especially from the standpoint of privilege and security, among other things.
UNIX was designed for and grew up with the Internet, Windows did not.
If something is not "automated with a click" in UNIX, 9 times out of 10, it's because it shouldn't be for security.

You can get a hands-free installation up and running, sure.. but it's a lot more work than windows overall.
For someone coming from Windows, yes.
But if you get Linux pre-installed, or you have to install a version of Windows on hardware it wasn't designed for, Linux can be a breeze in comparison. ;)
Dont let me scare ya, just remember it's DIFFERENT.
Everybody wants something different, better.. but rarely puts the work into finding the nooks and crannies of a new OS.
The problem is that too many people want "free."
Linux is not "free," it's "freedom" -- which is why Linux isn't like communism (a common scare tactic used), it's like liberty.
Individuals of their free will choose to work together for a common good, including spurring massive innovation.
Just about everything you use today was invented on UNIX (or UNIX-like) platforms first.

But it's often "tough to chew" for non-technical people.

Yeah, that's a choice.. but there is no easy answer for people that are sick of windows.
Without going into the hypocrisy of saying it's user-friendly.. it's what everyone knows, yet still find indecipherable when something goes wrong.
An Apple apologist or a *nix power user can throw around all the wisdom and intelligence they've gathered in their tenure..
but it falls on deaf ears because people are generally happy with internet explorer, a couple games and some semblance of compatibility as opposed to performance, stability and ultimate control over their system.
Agreed.
If you still find yourself using Internet Explorer, Outlook or MS Office, you should stick with Windows, period.
Do not listen to people who say you can emulate and run those Windows applications on Linux.
If you go Linux, be prepared to use all new applications -- even though they are freedom (as well as "free" in cost) -- there is a price to pay.

For some of us, it was worth it long ago -- as I can read my documented created over 12 years ago (unlike MS Office).
But for others, they are willing to pay for new software and hardware that doesn't last more than a few years, including their documents in it.
I'm an engineer, an atypical, because I need document retention 10+ years, like doctors and lawyers.
But for most businesses, document retention beyond 3 years is not commonplace, and virtually never more than 7.

Have you even looked into it, or are you too wowed by the GUI and the hype?
That's what keeps getting me.
If people are wowed by the GUI and the hype, they should have gone Mac a long time ago.
Your PC's security most likely isnt up to snuff with the current version of windows you're running, and you're eager to jump ship for a NEW WINDOWS OS?!?
Brother... this isnt the jump from 98 to 98SE, this is like the jump to Win2K from 95.
Not quite, but somewhat.
Driver support will be flaky for the first year.
Performance will be utter crap even with the newest systems from the bloated new "Features" you wont..arent using already.
Optimizing it all will take half the OS's life cycle.
Internet security is a true issue these days, and MS is hardly one to tout their own security.
To quote Microsoft's own security chief (no longer there), "no version of Windows was ever designed for the Internet."
This continues with NT 6.0 "Longhorn" now available in the client version known as Windows Vista.
I came. I read. I want a dozen pale ales to weep for the years past, they looked promising at the beginning..
Anyway, I think everyone else is wowed by the new GUI and forgets about their bread and butter needs.
Application speed, music and movie access.. (DRM is a whole 'nother discussion) and the majority of people simply arent ready for the OS with their current comps... Sub-1000$ PC's, integrated A/V and little familiarity with the OS as it is.
The sub-$1K or even sub-$500 PC is driven by the fact that the "superstore" model can sell you cheap hardware that is utterly useless in no time, and you'll come back for more, as well as consumables and new applications.
The whole concept of building hardware and releasing software that lasts for 10+ years does not give you great return customers, because they don't need to. ;)
Hence why such is the domain of Open Source and Linux, and not much else anymore.
And in the opposite effect, why the Open Source and Linux community does not waste much time on reverse engineering, as the efforts are wasted when Microsoft and the superstores change everything in a few years.

Linux is not a free Windows replacement ...

Ignoring all my other techno-babbling, there are 2 things to know about Linux.

1. Linux is not a free Windows replacement, and never will be

2. The existence of Linux (and GNU-based platforms) has far more to do with the break-up of AT&T (yes, back in the early '80s) than anything Microsoft has ever done

The whole concept of "Open Source" -- originally called "Free Software" (as in freedom, or "libre" for those who think "freedom" is somehow dirty) is not a "new" phenomenon, it's just been revisited a bit more in the last 10 years in the popular IT media.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
It is a post like that that gets my blood pumping in a way that a hot chick never can. It is a pleasure reading this whole topic. 50% of which happens to be your posts. :)

Although kernel 2.6 has excellent ACPI and other detection support, there's a lot of low-end, ultra-crappy hardware (essentially a few wires, maybe a cheap DSP, all 100% software driven) out there.

I'd like to say that it's just my luck, but there's been maybe 2/3's out a dozen different comps that I've installed Linux on that dont support/configure one major item. NIC not supported, sound doesnt work, RAID issues... I'm nitpicking, I know. But I thought it best to throw in all sides of an OS change. It's not as horrendous as the old days when I had to jumble IRQ's, ports and memory to get something working.. but like you said, the FREEDOM comes with that option. If you want, you can modify the whole OS, recode this package, that kernel.. this software.. :sigh: It's complex. But not complicated.

"oh, it's like DOS" bullshit

That statement used to hold a 'hint' of merit in years past. Command lines, telling the system what you want it to do.. if you wanted to summarize any text based UI, that's a good start. You type, it interprets.. its like DOS at first glance. But with power, more commands, and once again, it takes a good month to learn your way around a new OS. I mean a GOOD month. Not just an idle, search around the directories.. see what-does-what kinda month but some real hands-on experimentation with it all. Learn about privileges, user levels.. blah blah, you know the deal but explaining it to somene is next to useless. In one ear, out the rear. Somebody has to get into it themselves and understand that sometimes, its better to handle the configuration of your own computer instead of some lackey at MS headquarters.

But it's often "tough to chew" for non-technical people.

That point cant be stressed enough. People want free. But people expect user-friendly. Not friendly-users. Which is about the most help you'll get with *nix. You cant call up comcast or dell and ask them how to config their *WHATEVER* thru a *nix install. There's no magic phone number you can call that'll tell you what you want to hear. (Customer is always right? BS)

That's what keeps getting me.
If people are wowed by the GUI and the hype, they should have gone Mac a long time ago.

Ehh, I suppose it's a combination of fear, rebellion and money.

At least back in my youth we used macs all the time. Apple 2's and the like. The rare 2- or 386 that some friend's dad bought wasnt so prevalent as an Apple comp laying around.

But there's some weird grey area where people hate Apple, hate Microsoft.. but they wont stop using windows. But.. linux? BSD? Red Hat? What are all these brands, how do I use it? Where can I... I'm tired, I'll try something new next year kind of a feeling I get from everyday users, gamers and the like.

All I have to say is this to everyone: Time passes whether you want it to or not. You might as well do something useful in the meantime. Learn Linux. A second language. Get a degree. All semi-useful things to do instead of sitting around and watching the latest forgettable flicks and flossing your cock.

Do not listen to people who say you can emulate and run those Windows applications on Linux.
If you go Linux, be prepared to use all new applications -- even though they are freedom (as well as "free" in cost) -- there is a price to pay.

Aye, and there's no time like the present to get people acquainted with ugly GUI's..security and stability they'd love but never understand..and hey, a cute lil penguin. "Can I click him?!"

I'd like to say that it's just my luck, but there's been maybe 2/3's out a dozen different comps that I've installed Linux on that dont support/configure one major item.
The cheaper the hardware, the more likely this is an issue.
Especially in the wireless LAN space where the FCC says you cannot openly release specifications to program radio frequencies.
This has been their attitude ever since Mathews wrote the original Intersil PRISM driver and people were driving it well outside of the public 2.4GHz spectrum.

That's why there are "binary-only" components, which is an issue when it comes to kernel license redistribution, which Red Hat, Debian, etc... won't distribute.
And don't get me started on the IP mindfield known as 3D, even Intel doesn't release OpenGL/3D drivers with full capabilities (again, don't get me started).
Licensing and IP is very much an issue in the Linux world, and the consumer often suffers in the end.
NIC not supported, sound doesnt work, RAID issues...
Well, considering 100% of the RAID that comes on mainboards is fake and 100% software driver, yes.
Modems are the same, etc...
Now there have been some vendors opening up specifications.
E.g., the Intel ICH5+ and nVidia MCP4+ Fake RAID controllers are now supported by Linux's DeviceMapper
(which is an outstanding component of the kernel, especially for enterprise storage).
But for more "consumer" aspects, like cheap modems and horribly designed NICs, no, and there won't likely be any support in the near future.

The only "good news" about Linux hardware support is once 1 or 2 major models of the same device have drivers written,
those drivers tend to work for everything, and they are eternal.
I don't know how many times I've had different vendor's card with the exact same chipset or ASIC, but one vendor's Windows driver won't work for the other.
That's extremely frustrating in Windows, especially on server-quality hardware, let alone older consumer hardware.
I'm nitpicking, I know.
I didn't think you were nitpicking.
It's the reality of installation.
Which is why I either recommend you either get Linux pre-installed or, if you self-assemble, check for Linux support first.
But I thought it best to throw in all sides of an OS change.
And if you've seen one repeat theme here from me, it's that I highly recommend sticking with Windows in a majority of cases.
I switched long ago, but I am a professional in a field where Linux was used very, very early.
It's not as horrendous as the old days when I had to jumble IRQ's, ports and memory to get something working..
Well, that was an issue for Windows too.
E.g., Linux's PCMCIA support in 1994 was better and more "plug'n play" than NT 3.1/3.5 and Windows 3.11 before Windows 95.

Here's a key point:
When a standard is open and fully implemented, Linux typically implements it much better.
E.g., True hardware PCI devices, PCMCIA/CardBus, FireWire, etc...
When a standard is vendor or leaves a lot to individual devices, Linux typically can't implement it well, if at all, unless vendors cooperate.
E.g., Software-driven PCI devices (generic DSP-based), USB, etc...

but like you said, the FREEDOM comes with that option.
If you want, you can modify the whole OS, recode this package, that kernel.. this software.. :sigh: It's complex. But not complicated.
Actually, I haven't compiled a desktop or server Linux kernel since 1999
(only for embedded Linux, but I also rebuild kernels for embedded Windows too).
In reality, most distros today will give you everything you need to work, assuming you can move to the open document formats.
Even Red Hat has built a serious number of packages in Fedora Extras (although that doesn't address it's SLA-driven Enterprise line, which is another story).

"oh, it's like DOS" bullshit
That statement used to hold a 'hint' of merit in years past.
Command lines, telling the system what you want it to do..
My first Linux was in 1993, Yggdrasil, and it had a 100% GUI installer.
I came to Linux because I wanted a cheap X11 GUI desktop, and Linux delivered.
Hell, I used to run Feeble WM and even the 95-like version shortly after 95 first came out.

But yes, the GUI "frameworks" didn't come around for another 5 years.
UNIX takes the opposite approach from Windows, stablize the capability, make it usable without a GUI, then add the GUI.
Windows takes the approach build the GUI, then actually implement the capability, and (in many cases) try to stablize the capability.
For consumers, that's not really as much of an issue, but for workstations and servers that run 24x7, Windows is a PITA.
Always has been, and NT has gotten much worse than it used to be (don't get me started).

if you wanted to summarize any text based UI, that's a good start.
You type, it interprets.. its like DOS at first glance.
But with power, more commands, and once again, it takes a good month to learn your way around a new OS.
I mean a GOOD month.
I would argue 6 months.
Even if you get down the "usability" in 1-2 months, it's another 3-4 months of application familiarity.
Not just an idle, search around the directories.. see what-does-what kinda month but some real hands-on experimentation with it all. Learn about privileges, user levels.. blah blah, you know the deal but explaining it to somene is next to useless.
In one ear, out the rear. Somebody has to get into it themselves.
Exactomundo.

That point cant be stressed enough. People want free.
But people expect user-friendly. Not friendly-users. Which is about the most help you'll get with *nix.
You cant call up comcast or dell and ask them how to config their modem thru a *nix install.
Actually, you can, and they do have Linux tech support at virtually every major provider.
But they "downplay" that support for consumers, you have to be a business customer to get it.

Back in 2000, Gartner did a study of the cost of Linux support versus Windows, even for desktops, and it was identical.
When it came to the top 12 IT service firms, only IBM (out of all 12) charged more for Linux services.
IBM has since changed their stance on supporting Linux since 2001, and the costs for Linux support is often less than what they offer for Windows.

There's no magic phone number you can call that'll tell you what you want to hear. (Customer is always right? BS)
That's more policy than anything, again, if you're a business customer, they have Linux people on-staff for you. ;)

Ehh, I suppose it's a combination of fear, rebellion and money.
At least back in my youth we used macs all the time. Apple 2's and the like. The rare 2- or 386 that some friend's dad bought wasnt so prevalent as an Apple comp laying around.
I grew up with a PC from day 1.
I had some '70s-era toys, but once the PC came out, I had a PC.
I started running UNIX on non-PCs, but also PCs by the late '80s.
Then again, I was maintaining Internet servers over 5 years before the web hit.

But there's some weird grey area where people hate Apple, hate Microsoft.. but they wont stop using windows.
But.. linux? BSD? Red Hat? What are all these brands, how do I use it?
Where can I... I'm tired, I'll try something new next year kind of a feeling I get from everyday users, gamers and the like.
I find that people who "hate" an OS will be just as ready to "hate" the next OS they use.
People need to appreciate what works for them and -- better yet -- just pay for it if it "does the job."
People who use Linux -- really use it -- don't use it because it's "free," it's "freedom."
And that's not because it's "not Microsoft," but because it is written by and for the people who use it.

In fact, they only people that "go back to Windows" are the ones who assumed Linux is a Windows replacement.

All I have to say is this to everyone: Time passes whether you want it to or not.
You might as well do something useful in the meantime. Learn Linux. A second language. Get a degree.
All semi-useful things to do instead of sitting around and watching the latest forgettable flicks and flossing your cock.
I'm an engineer, and that means I'm lazy.
I learned Linux because it made me more productive for my job and environment, largely because we had already adopted GNU systems.
And that was not merely for Internet servers, but for backend servers, engineering workstations, etc...
It's the main experience and reason (long with NT) that a prime NASA contractor plucked me fresh out of college.
That was 1995, well before anyone had heard of Linux.

Aye, and there's no time like the present to get people acquainted with ugly GUI's..
security and stability they'd love but never understand..and hey, a cute lil penguin. "Can I click him?!"
Who says Linux has "ugly GUIs"? Huh?
Skins, transparency, framebuffer-accelerated desktops and countless other GUI widgets, capabilities and feature were invented on UNIX, particularly Linux in the last 10 years.

Hell, I'm typing this on Fedora Core 6 x86-64 (true 64-bit) running GNOME with the Compiz Windows Manager using AIGLX rendering c/o nVidia's driver.
Compiz is not perfect (they haven't put all the shortcuts and other features in like the regular 2D window managers),
but it's surely far less of a pig, far more capable and far better looking (IMHO) than Aero using that pathetic WGF 1.1 base.
Especially that WGF 1.1 base, as the whole, original WGF (now "2.0") has become vaporware.

Torre82min

I am not getting vista just for the gui thats just a bonus for me, im more eager on the improved functinonality,network,direct-x10 and the hundred other things that makes life easier :)

Im not getting you there on what you mean by my computer security statement, I have a nice antivirus program and its all i ever need. But i do agree that it certainly is going to lack driver support for a while but remember i dident say i was getting Vista right now but in the future. Its not that i will never go to any other OS.

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Who says Linux has "ugly GUIs"? Huh?

Yes there ARE accelerated GUI's.. but your everyday, default KDE, gnome, X UI is pretty much..

..a windows 95-looking not-so-polished look. Far be it for me to praise something.. but Gates and Jobs are getting the *everyman's* interest with the flashy, rounded, ergonomic visuals.

Like this guy:

Today 05:27 AM
happynewyear

He doesnt know half the *actual* features. He's probably seen the GUI and the commercials.. and..and.. Frick my back hurts. ::pops some ibuprofen::

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Ah.. he replied fast.

Torre82min

I am not getting vista just for the gui thats just a bonus for me, im more eager on the improved functinonality,network,direct-x10 and the hundred other things that makes life easier :)

Im not getting you there on what you mean by my computer security statement, I have a nice antivirus program and its all i ever need. But i do agree that it certainly is going to lack driver support for a while but remember i dident say i was getting Vista right now but in the future. Its not that i will never go to any other OS.

Improved functionality.. network.. DirectX 10..life easier.. you didnt read most of this topic, didja?

Okay.. getting used to an entirely new operating system = less functionality for a long while.

Network = You're not magically going to create bug free LAN's in Vista. Your broadband modem isnt going to jump to the next speed package. Sorry if I'm assuming you meant something else.. but you didnt specify what networking you were specifically interested in.

DirectX 10.. I'll quote the wiki:

Along with the new software architechture, the requirements for GPU manufacturers claiming DirectX 10 compatibility have been made much stricter.[2] Manufacturers will now have to ensure that their products contain a minimum feature set in order to comply with DirectX 10 standards. The reason for these measures is in order to allow developers to create powerful game titles using DirectX without the need to worry about hardware compatibility issues.

Currently, the only graphics hardware compatible with DirectX 10 is the nVidia 8800 series.

Which means that you and I dont have to worry about DirectX 10 for a good, long while. DirectX 9 is the way to go for the foreseeable future. Like shader model versions.. just because this or that version of DX supports it.. doesnt mean your graphics card.. or the game.. will.

Yes there ARE accelerated GUI's.. but your everyday, default KDE, gnome, X UI is pretty much..
Umm, most of the "generic" defaults in most distros are for "familiarity" and "commonality."
Qt and KDE is especially guilty of purposely being Explorer-like (95+/NT4.0+).

Enlightenment and several other desktop frameworks first appeared in the mid '90s, and were not based on Explorer.
In fact, many took their cues from Jobs' NeXT.

Today, turning on "desktop effects" (OpenGL accelerated with Compiz replacing Metacity WM) is 1 click in modern distros like Fedora Core (among many others) in the GNOME desktop itself.
SuSE has been shipping a full Compiz for even longer, several years now, using the full Xgl solution (and not the AIGLX Red Hat has pushed only more recently in the last 12 months).

..a windows 95-looking not-so-polished look.
Umm, again, "familiarity" here? Hello?
Virtually every X11-based desktop can be far more heavily customized via point'n click than Explorer (95+/NT4.0) or the new Aero (NT6.0/WGF 1.1) setup.
That's been the reality since ... well ... a long time.

Far be it for me to praise something.. but Gates and Jobs are getting the *everyman's* interest with the flashy, rounded, ergonomic visuals.
Jobs, yes, Microsoft (not Gates at all), no.
Jobs' Cocoa and Quartz were essentially "prototyped" on X11 and the NeXT platform.

In fact, GTK+ and GNOME are heavily influenced by Jobs' NeXT platform.
I think you're guilty of using Qt and KDE way too much, which is clearly Explorer-like.
Your example KDE screenshot above is a perfect example.

No offense, but I'm going to strongly differ with you here.
I assume you haven't dove into GTK+ and GNOME's history at all.

Improved functionality..
Like?
network..
You're kidding me, right?
The black hats are having a field day with NT 6.0's network stack!
All the enterprise security analysts at several defense and financial institutions and I all agree, NT 6.0's network stack is a massive mistake.

DirectX 10..
Which is nothing originally promised for the Windows Graphics Foundation (WGF) version Microsoft calls "2.0" (now vapor?).
DirectX 10 has become "watered down" now.
Hell, even DirectX is not even a full API, but a wrapper to vendor hardware largely from ATI and nVidia at this point.

life easier.. you didnt read most of this topic, didja?
I have actually have been dissecting the guts of NT 6.0 for it's 5 years of development.

Okay.. getting used to an entirely new operating system = less functionality for a long while.
Network = You're not magically going to create bug free LAN's in Vista.
Your broadband modem isnt going to jump to the next speed package.
Sorry if I'm assuming you meant something else.. but you didnt specify what networking you were specifically interested in.
DirectX 10.. I'll quote the wiki:
Along with the new software architechture, the requirements for GPU manufacturers claiming DirectX 10 compatibility have been made much stricter.[2] Manufacturers will now have to ensure that their products contain a minimum feature set in order to comply with DirectX 10 standards. The reason for these measures is in order to allow developers to create powerful game titles using DirectX without the need to worry about hardware compatibility issues.
Unfortunately there is no real "Architectural Review Board" (ARB) for MS DirectX, which will be a continuing issue.
I.e., whatever ATI and nVidia come up with, game vendors will have to sort through.

Currently, the only graphics hardware compatible with DirectX 10 is the nVidia 8800 series.[/I]
Which is not really true being that DirectX 10 (let alone WGF 2.0) is still vaporware at this point.
But what is typical is that Microsoft doesn't define what DirectX 10 is, ATI and nVidia do, often conflictingly.
And ISVs end up picking up the pieces.

Which means that you and I dont have to worry about DirectX 10 for a good, long while.
DirectX 9 is the way to go for the foreseeable future.
Like shader model versions..
just because this or that version of DX supports it.. doesnt mean your graphics card.. or the game.. will.
Exactly.
DirectX is not OpenGL.

I got to say, this is the best thread I've seen for comp talk. Even the Apple forums aren't this indepth.
I'm sure there are a number of long-time Windows NT administrators on those boards.
Most of them just don't bother to post in many cases, and you'll find even I get "frustrated" at times in forums like these.

Visual DPI and non-text entry ...

I have a feeling it will take a little longer than that. Plus in a lot of ways I still prefer the paper books.
That's because your computer screen has only 75-133 dots per inch (DPI), and print media has at least 300-360 (if not 600-720) DPI.
For every 2x in DPI, it's 4x the number of dots (and resulting sharpness) over the area.
Even IBM's leading LCD and other, alternative display research only offers 200-250DPI.
Don't even get me started about how irritating it would be to write math problems out on a computer screen.
We engineers solved that "entry issue" in the '60s/'70s.
It's called Postfix Notation or, more commonly, Reverse Polish Notation (RPN).
If you ever wondered why some "eggheads" or, more slang yet, "Polocks" (myself included, I'm actually a minority part of Polish decent, although it shows in my face more than anything)
are "addicted" to their "broken" calculators that keep giving you errors when you try to enter "3+5," it's because they are RPN.

My father began his career with an HP-35 he still has (and still works).
I began my career with an HP-48 that I still have (and still works).

Torre82min

You still bugging me with the gui ??? first of all i actually i only have seen glints of it on different hardware sites. I mostly read previews and feature lists and what beta testers experienced. Some of them was very happy and some of them had problems. Hence why it was called Beta.

Recently i have started to read on forums what people think about it now that it is retail. Same deal i guess but im personally waiting a few months because im asembling a new PC in april/may and i was aiming for Vista to go with it.