• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Lost

In preparation for the beginning of Season 6--the Final Season of Lost...I thought it would be cool if we all spent a week or so reviewing and discussing each season on a week by week basis. Season 1, to me, is still the greatest single season of episodic television since...hmm...I don't know -- maybe first season of X Files? Season 1 of Lost was so utterly brilliant I thought it would be cool to review it. The we can move on to Season 2, 3, etc. We can post Youtube clips of key moments, discuss things we maybe haven't thought of in awhile. It might be fun to walk back through the show in this way....

So, here goes...first up...the very first 8 minutes of the show, of course. This basically set the tone and launched the CHAOS!!!

I admit the quality of this clip isn't what I would like but it still is awesome to watch...

Here's a pretty solid summary of Season 1....

I don't really have much to say about season one that hasn't been said already. I guess the main thing is that the first season focused on the characters trying to survive and cope with the fact that they were stranded on an island indefinitely. The idea that the Island is magical and mysterious just added to that aim. Now it's almost like an entirely different show in that it's really not about that anymore.

The first season introduced most of the characters that would be throughout the remainder of the series and gave a pretty good picture of their history. It also showed that the Island was not a normal place. We learned that their were ghosts (Jack's dad), Polar Bears, miraculous healing for John Locke, a black smoke monster, an secret underground hatch, and that a french woman had been stranded on the Island for 16 years. Another big revelation was that the numbers that Hurley believed to be cursed, that led him to Oceanic flight 815, also led Rousseau to the Island.

It also set the pattern for revealing big mysteries and then not explaining them. Many people were not happy with the cliff-hanger season finale.

I guess for me the most significant event in the first season is the discovery of the Swan Station and Boone's death. I wonder what the significance of that was. Locke said that it was "a sacrifice the Island demanded." But if so, why would it? Or was it really just an accident. If John and Boone hadn't uncovered the Swan Station then the Island would have not been found and moved, so maybe that is significant.

It's curious that the second person to die from the main characters was Boone's sister, Shannon. One could interpret that they died because they no longer served a useful purpose, which does seem to be the case with character's deaths on the show. That's a rather grim and merciless view of destiny and is quite contrary to Locke's view of the Island as utopia. Many people have theorized that the Island is a sort of Purgatory and that view (and as Charlotte would later say in her own mortality "This place is death.") gives some reinforcement to it.

Yet another new promo featuring Willie Nelson singing Amazing Grace

I can't tell if I like this one or the Spanish one with Radiohead's Everything in its Right Place better. But both are definitely getting me aroused

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
Thanks DJC, but no teasers for me, I want to go in S-6 a virgin.

Oh boy, so much to keep track of:
Did the bomb kill them all in 77?
If the bomb killed all then Bens Dead of a tumor, LOckes still in wheelchair, sayid never finds Nadia, ect?
Is Locke really dead?
Who are Iliana and her people?
Is Jacob dead? Why did he die so easy?
Who's this Mr X guy?
Whats Desmonds role in all this?
Claire?
Aaron?
Lapedis?
Black Rock in the middle of the island?
Richard?
Who's Coming?
Why did/do the dead people seem to decieve? Eg Ekos bro, Bens Daughter telling him to obey locke?
Is Christian a bad guy/not really christian too?
How did Jacob know of the 5 long before the plane crashed in 04, and touching each one sealed their destiny? (except Hugo and Sayid who he visited after the crash)
If they were killed by the bomb, why wasnt Miles dad killed, or radzinsky.
one thing we do know is that radzinsky did kill himself in the swan sometime before desmonds arrival in 2001. a clue?

Ugh, i just hope EVERYTHING is made clear in the final season, or better a 7th season.

Today LOST feels veeeery different than Season 1 Lost....

I think Sawyer/Jack/Christian revelation still stands out with me from Season 1. Ethan is still a freaky dude too!

It's kind of sad how they set up "the island monster" as some sort of thrashing about the jungle dinosaur beasty who ate the pilot, but only to have the actual monster go in a very different different direction....

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
The promo just shows a montage of previously seen clips set to that Willie Nelson song. No spoilers... no hints either.

Ahh, ok
Today LOST feels veeeery different than Season 1 Lost....

I think Sawyer/Jack/Christian revelation still stands out with me from Season 1. Ethan is still a freaky dude too!

It's kind of sad how they set up "the island monster" as some sort of thrashing about the jungle dinosaur beasty who ate the pilot, but only to have the actual monster go in a very different different direction....
I think the monster killed the pilot for a reason, not sure what.
Maybe it was pissed because it was expecting Lapedis.
Why did he not fly the plane that day like he said he was supposed to?

Yeah Ethan is a freak.
Couple questions about him:
Why did he shoot Locke? He tried to kill him during the Islands skipping through time (pre 2004).
But mostly, If the purge according to dead Horace was on Bens Birthday (Dec 19) 1992 then why was Ethan with Ben in 1988 While following orders of Widmore to Kill Rousseu?
Ben and Especially Ethan were dressed and had messy hair like the others.
Did Ethan defect before the purge? Was his mom always an other (this is why she wanted sayid dead, she knew he wasnt an other).
I dont know.

It was a great show at first but its kinda been dragged out over the years.

Thats like your opinion, man.
I disagree. Best show ever.

Big Poppa Pump

- My Name Is My Name -
I been watching repeats of season 3 as its on when I get home from work. Love the Sawyer/Kate storyline. The last one I saw was Eko's death which is still as hard-hitting an episode as when I first saw it.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I been watching repeats of season 3 as its on when I get home from work. Love the Sawyer/Kate storyline. The last one I saw was Eko's death which is still as hard-hitting an episode as when I first saw it.

Yeah youre a big Eko fan Big Poppa.
Were you a big Adibisi fan too?

Why did Smokey kill Eko anyway?
Why did Eko cut off his little pony tail beard in front of Henry Gale, I mean Ben?
Man, I gotta stop with the questions......
How did Adibisi keep that little hat on?
Fuck!

Big Poppa Pump

- My Name Is My Name -
Yeah youre a big Eko fan Big Poppa.
Were you a big Adibisi fan too?

Why did Smokey kill Eko anyway?
Why did Eko cut off his little pony tail beard in front of Henry Gale, I mean Ben?
Man, I gotta stop with the questions......
How did Adibisi keep that little hat on?
Fuck!

Yeah, I'm a big Adebisi fan too.

All you need to know about Eko.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Eko

As for the hat??? Maybe it was glued on? :confused:

ABC is having a half hour special this Saturday on 1/9. It looks like it is coming on in the afternoon.

Check local listings for time and channel.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
When is the new Season Airing?

Feb. 2nd at 8PM ET. I guess it's moving from Thursday to Tuesday. The premiere is going to be 3 hours long (probably includes a recap). I'll be absolutely NO GOOD on Wednesday.

Lust

Lost at Birth
Feb. 2nd at 8PM ET. I guess it's moving from Thursday to Tuesday. The premiere is going to be 3 hours long (probably includes a recap). I'll be absolutely NO GOOD on Wednesday.

ha! same here man. we've been steadily re-watching all seasons and we just bought season 5 a week ago. getting ready for the big finale.

LOST has indeed changed so much. to be honest i dont really even know who i pull for, outside of Vincent, of course. Vincent has been the one character who has not really dissappointed me much. Eko as well but they killed him, so its back to just Vincent.

i'm pretty excited to see how the story between Jacob and False-Locke plays out as well as see how the nuke explosion changes the time line history. its wierd but i'm still hooked though the show has turned out be something completely different than what i originally thought it'd be.
I think if they make a sequel to this series they need to just rename it to, "Castaways who make kneejerk reactions to things thereby putting themselves further in harms way"

also the GF and I are in agreement, season 1 still had the best quotes.

My favourite: "Me Kate, me throw rock!"

Rey C.

ha! same here man. we've been steadily re-watching all seasons and we just bought season 5 a week ago. getting ready for the big finale.

LOST has indeed changed so much. to be honest i dont really even know who i pull for, outside of Vincent, of course. Vincent has been the one character who has not really dissappointed me much. Eko as well but they killed him, so its back to just Vincent.

i'm pretty excited to see how the story between Jacob and False-Locke plays out as well as see how the nuke explosion changes the time line history. its wierd but i'm still hooked though the show has turned out be something completely different than what i originally thought it'd be.
I think if they make a sequel to this series they need to just rename it to, "Castaways who make kneejerk reactions to things thereby putting themselves further in harms way"

also the GF and I are in agreement, season 1 still had the best quotes.

My favourite: "Me Kate, me throw rock!"

I only started watching the show about a year and a half ago. I caught one episode right after another on G4TV and SciFi. I'd heard of the show, but I generally hate network TV, so I didn't think I'd like it. But I watched a couple of episodes and I was HOOKED! Yeah, it really is a very different show now. It started out with a Lord of the Flies feel - include some Hurley scenes and there was some Gilligan's Island in there too. :D Plus, getting to know the characters through the great back stories was a lot of fun. That's kind of gone now.

I was also a big fan of Eko. The way they wrote that character (and the way the actor insisted it be written) reminded me of the Clint Eastwood character from High Plains Drifter: is he good or is he bad? Very complex character. Too bad the actor's parents died and he had to leave the show. Hurley and Vincent are the two characters that I hope come out on top. I really like ol' Hurley. And I'd like to see Locke get some redemption too. My least favorite part of this show has ALWAYS been the Jack/Kate/Sawyer soap opera.

I just don't think I've ever seen a show with THIS MANY well written characters.

Lust

Lost at Birth
same thing kind of happened to me. i hate network tv but travel a lot and got tired of the same thing on HBO at the hotels. my GF bought me season 1 and from there i was hooked.

character development unfolded very nice i thought. the love triangle is taxing, and sawyer is bangin all the women, whats up with that.

Hurley is my second fave character, he's the provider of my GF's favorite quote: "Dude, you've got some Arntz on you" if you remember the situation for that quote its classic. if not, then it doesnt make much sense lol.

Rey C.

Hurley is my second fave character, he's the provider of my GF's favorite quote: "Dude, you've got some Arntz on you" if you remember the situation for that quote its classic. if not, then it doesnt make much sense lol.

Yes, I absolutely do remember that one. That was funny as hell! Though for Arntz, not so
much. :rofl:

That's another reason I really like this show (and Hurley): the comedic relief. Like when Hurley threw that Hotpocket at Ben's head. Especially in the early seasons, there would often be some comedy dropped in to lighten the mood.