• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Lost

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
I don't really see anyway that they can have a resolution that can satisfy, as time goes on expectations have been built too high. Plus, it seems that we have analyzed so much and thought of every possible scenario that nothing could be a surprise, unless it was totally absurd. I'd be happy with a conclusion where the characters reach some kind of catharsis and are content with their current state and situation and have that be the ending. it's not important to know all of the answers because it will never be enough.

Disapointing, sure. But look at the past season and ask yourself if any of the scenarios popping into your head gave you a clear answer as to who is in the coffin. Why are they going back to the island? Who, what, where, when or why.. and HOW is the island ANYWAY?

If we cant see the plot twists, then we cant see the end. It hasnt been predictable so far, so.. at least I dont see how the ending can be anything less than spectacular.. paranormal.. twisting all over the story-trail but still feels like we're being lead somewhere.

On the optimistic side of things.. it cant be worse than the endings to X-Files or Deadwood. Insult + Injury = X Files: I want to bereave.

Huge buildup + Cancelled series = Deadwood: I want to.. oh wait, the bad guy won and America is built. That's too close to reality.

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
I've only seen one episode of Lost (it's not my thing) and I'm going to predict the ending...

It was all a dream :spooky ghost sounds ensue:

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I never played those Lost Alternate reality games. I tried to check them out but couldn't even understand how to get started.
If any of you have a link that would be appreciated.

As far as answering all the questions/mysteries before the series ends, I'm not sure they will, but I hope so.
My personal list of some of things I want answered is:
High priority
Whispers
Smoke monster
The significance of the numbers
Origin of The Others
Jacob
What happened to those left behind.

I gotta know
Did Claires psychic know about the crash
Adam & Eve
4 toed statue
Whats the deal with Richard Alpert
Charles Widmoes connection with the island
Matthew Abaddon, human, immortal, psychic good , bad , or what?
Christian Shepard

I hope they tell us
Libby's past
Rousseau's team
Is Claire's mother Ok? (Claires friend implied she was)
Miles Abilities
Fake wreckage (obviously the worls now knows)
Who was Ms. Hawking?
Black rock
Just how the hell is Desmond doing nowadays brotha?

Plus at least 10 more..
Don't know how they will do it, but they haven't disappointed me yet.

I had to read back a few pages, my memory is fuzzy. I'm gonna have to look into a few of the things you mentioned MP.

as far as the person in the coffin goes, there was really nothing to pinpoint that until it was revealed... but you could come close by deduction. It most likely wasn't one of the Oceanic Six (Jack, Hurley, Sayid, Kate, Aaron, and Sun) nor was it likely to be one of the new people. We knew that it was someone that had bad blood with kate/and or jack, which was the biggest clue and that narrowed it down to Michael (most people leaned toward that one), Sawyer, Locke, Ben or Juliet. Not too bad, and as you can see, we did speculate the right one, just without certainty. It wasn't totally obvious, but it was no shock, and we already figured it out before the end of the episode by the time they showed it.

As I said, the main thing was that it was more or less just an arbitrary mystery to add suspense, and it didn't really matter who it was it could have been pretty much anyone and they could have shown it from the start, and it wouldn't have changed anything.

So anyway... based on conventional time-travel theory (which the show has been pretty accurate to thus far) it seems most likely that the Island has traveled future forward. It wouldn't surprise me if Jack turns away from the coffin and sees the other person who attended the funeral: Mr. John Locke himself. That is, his future self that bypassed his own death at the point where the two time-streams meet up in the present (the off-island future converging with the Island past). Remember the duplicate Dharma bunnies?

How's that for a prediction?

(in case that made no sense, let me explain. The island travels, say, five years into the future. The present off-island is in the year 2004(?). the island has disappeared, it's skipped over all the years that it would have existed in between 2004 and 2009. Meanwhile, five years later from the present off-island time it will now be 2009, the year that the island "first" appears. they can go back to the island and experience all the things that happen(ed) there. But for the people that were on the island, they are perpetually five years in the future, so for them it is now 2013. If they traveled back in time to 2009, it would feel for the off-island people like time has always flowed one-way at a steady rate, and the island people will have essentially bypassed there own past/future. Hence the alive/dead john Locke.)

PS. actually now that I think about it, this is entirely in the realm of probability, since they already showed it happening with the Doctor on the freighter, but that was at a much shorter time-ratio, at a difference of just a few hours or minutes.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I had to read back a few pages, my memory is fuzzy. I'm gonna have to look into a few of the things you mentioned MP.

anyway... based on conventional time-travel theory (which the show has been pretty accurate to thus far) it seems most likely that the Island has traveled future forward. It wouldn't surprise me if Jack turns away from the coffin and sees the other person who attended the funeral: Mr. John Locke himself. That is, his future self that bypassed his own death at the point where the two time-streams meet up in the present (the off-island future converging with the Island past). Remember the duplicate Dharma bunnies?

How's that for a prediction?

(in case that made no sense, let me explain. The island travels, say, five years into the future. The present off-island is in the year 2004(?). the island has disappeared, it's skipped over all the years that it would have existed in between 2004 and 2009. Meanwhile, five years later from the present off-island time it will now be 2009, the year that the island "first" appears. they can go back to the island and experience all the things that happen(ed) there. But for the people that were on the island, they are perpetually five years in the future, so for them it is now 2013. If they traveled back in time to 2009, it would feel for the off-island people like time has always flowed one-way at a steady rate, and the island people will have essentially bypassed there own past/future. Hence the alive/dead john Locke.)

none of those things I wrote have been explained or clarified so far.
your theory is cool, and possible.
Only that there was nobody else at the funeral, just jack.
But irrelevant. it may be something very similar to what you wrote.
Jack said locke told him that very bad things happened on the island after they left, maybe those things can be undone, based on your theory, I think:spin:
i believe future bearded jack is the most futuristic flash forward, I was thinking 2009 or 10 also.
Hurley in the instutution ( but maybe not, he left with sayid), kates raising aaron, sun is making some kind of deal with widmore ( possibly very important) , and sayids out hunting for ben.
I gotta re-watch season 4 now.

none of those things I wrote have been explained or clarified so far.

but look into I didn't mean give you the answers, I meant just to refresh my memory because I wasn't sure what you were talking about. Such as "high priority"? I don't know what that is in reference to. and "Ms. hawking". Is that the chick that Desmond saw when he first came unstuck in time? makes me think of physicist Steven Hawking who wrote a lot about the nature of time.

I believe the first event in the future chronology is sun and Widmore. That should be near the time that Hurley comes to visit her and she has her baby, which is the first thing to happen, around 6 or 8 months. Then Sayid teams up with Ben, that's about a year after they got back according to the calender that Ben sees after he transports off the island. I'm not sure if Hurley sees charlie and then goes to the nuthouse before Kate's trial, but they occur around the same time, because Jack visits him while he is living with Kate and Aaron is a toddler. Jack with a beard visiting Locke's funeral and then telling Kate they they have to go back is the last thing, about two years after they first got back.

As far as answering all the questions/mysteries before the series ends, I'm not sure they will, but I hope so.
My personal list of some of things I want answered is:

I gotta know
Did Claires psychic know about the crash

I hope they tell us
Fake wreckage (obviously the world now knows)

I'm pretty sure the psychic knew about the crash, just how easy it is to infer from the episode. Plus, Claire saying that 'he knew', and how he kept saying the baby has to be raised by her, and how shes on the island raising baby, just sells it all for me. HOWEVER there is probably something more to it, cuz its LOST. I never expected her to meet up with Christian on the island :eek:

Spleen

Banned?
I'm sick of talking about everything that might or might not happen in the show, I've been doing it for too many years. It gives me the headache thinking about it!

Next season I'm just gonna watch and enjoy it and not worry too much about it.

are you or are you not going to worry too much? let's all talk about it.

I watched the pilot episode monday night on Sci-Fi channel.

The most interesting thing of the pilot was how it started, it showed Jack laying in the jungle away from the crash site by hisself staring up into the sky similiar to the way Desmond did during his flashback scene and the way Ben did this past season.

That opening sequence probably is the biggest clue for the whole show.

Peace.

what do you mean? that he woke up in the middle of the jungle a good distance from the crash site on the beach seemingly unharmed (he did have a pretty nasty gash, but that's all)?

I'm not sure.... although the image is very similar to the two mentioned circumstances involving "teleportation", it could just be a coincidence. By that i mean that the idea of opening a scene by focusing on a characters eye as they wake up from unconsciousness is one of the staples of the show and it had been used many other times in instances where it was simply that and nothing more, where the characters did not deviate from any normal state of space/time.

Now if you wanted to suggest that all those instances were in fact touching upon the phenomenon of an alternate reality expression, that would be an interesting theory. But it kind of has to be all of them, not just the cases where it was implicitly demonstrated to be so, otherwise I don't see how it can be argued that it's part of the mythology and not just a cinematic/symbolic approach.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
Another thing I want to know is if Danilel and I believe the only surviving redshirts will/were ever found.
Theyre in the middle of the damn pacific on a dingy.

I'm pretty sure no one gives a shit about them and we'll never hear about them again. Damon has said that he was glad to finally kill them all off. They were kind of necessary at the beginning just to have a potential character pool and to create situations where the survivors had to do island stuff that required more than 8 people, but I'd say by the end of the second season they were pretty much useless.

what do you mean? that he woke up in the middle of the jungle a good distance from the crash site on the beach seemingly unharmed (he did have a pretty nasty gash, but that's all)?

I did not say he was seemingly unharmed.

The show started showing Jack laying on the ground staring up. The camera showed him from different angles. He sort of had that delusional-out-of-focus look on his face similiar to Ben and Desmond. He then noticed he had the gash on his back.

He was some distance from the plane. He was in the jungle and walked toward the beach. When he got to the beach he looked around and then heard the sound of the jet engine that was still running and made his way to the the crash site.

All the other characters that were on the plane and are major characters seemed to be already at the crash site minus kate who made her way out to get the handcuffs off.

My opinion was a observation I had noticed but never took in consideration until I saw what happened to Ben and Desmond. Watch the pilot again and you will see what i am talking about.

Peace.:cool:

I know you didn't say that, that was just my observation, perhaps lending credence to the teleportation and/or loop theory. the fact that the plane ripped in half in mid air and crashed onto the beach, but most of the survivors suffered only minor injuries is a testament to the odd nature of the whole scenario. I'm in favor of believing that there either was no plane crash or that the crash was orchestrated somehow to bring those certain individuals to the Island.

we've actually had this conversation before. Of course I can't prove what really happened, no one will know until they choose to reveal it to us. There is certainly a lot of credibility to that theory, but I personally don't really want to see that and so I'm just offering other alternative possible theories.

well the show is more or less in real time, so they were actually stranded on the island for only about 3 or 4 months so far. and they actually just had several of the major characters get off the island last season. I think that the show is slated to have two more seasons.

oh yeah, and also there was a character that got shipwrecked on the island and had been there for almost 17 years. So they could be on there for a very long time potentially.

calpoon....thinking about this show usually gives me a headache. I try not to think about it but the damn show pulls me in.

I still get headaches from thinking about cloverfield. And no way in hell am I going to watch JJ Abrams new show on FOX called Fringe.

I hope JJ Abrams dont screw up Star Trek and make it into some crazy mind fuck movie.

Peace.:cool: