• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Kurt Cobain

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Kurt Cobain wasn't even the best in Seattle, he hated himself so why should anyone else like him?

@zell Nirvana was doing some of the things the Pixies were doing, but the Pixies were not doing one thing Nirvana was, which is selling tons of records. Cobain had a gift for writing catchy melodies, and while many despise that pop sensibility people in the music industry are painfully aware that writing great hooks is both the rarest and most bankable talent there is. Lots of bands out there with amazing chops that never take off because they can't write singles, for years the Pixies were one of them. And yeah, I know the Pixies have sold some albums, mainly after Grunge led the way for that style of band to get noticed, but they aren't popular in the Nirvana sense, not nearly so.

I hear what you're saying,but the fact remains that talent wise,Curt wasn't anything special.The biggest aspect of commercial success for a musician is being in the right place at the right time.Something that Nirvana benefited from,and the Pixies did not.

Also,you have to take into account of how much input a producer has on an album or not.Butch Vig is responsible for the sound of Nevermind more than Cobain is.Just listen to the difference in sound from Bleach to Nevermind.That should tell you all you need to know.Cobain allegedly fought against the more polished sound of the album,and wanted to keep with that lo-fi sound,but Vig convinced him otherwise,and the rest is history.

Between The Pixies,and more importantly,Sonic Youth,bands like Nirvana,and all those that followed wouldn't even exist.Pioneers almost NEVER gain commercial success that they deserve,but without them,progression would never happen,and music would be stuck in a stagnant place.

Overrated trash

Overrated trash.

Yeah, if he was still alive, he'd be irrelevant now.

Same as all these then? Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, David Ruffin, Whitney Houston, Ron McKernan, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.. (short list)

Any of which were just an entertainment muse for a moment of time. Meaningless and irrelevant to most, intriguing and entertaining to some. Thrown away when their time came by most. Truly valued by few and embellished by observers to feel some personal connection of importance for themselves. Trash for the masses, entertainment for the people, relevant only when needed, discarded when convenient.

Same as all these then? Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, David Ruffin, Whitney Houston, Ron McKernan, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.. .

No, without Hendrix was actually great, without him many of the top guitarists would never have played guitar. Jim Morrison was great because he was an excellent songwriter because of his poetry, and his smooth voice is legendary and calming even though he was bit of a nutter.

Same as all these then? Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, David Ruffin, Whitney Houston, Ron McKernan, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc.. (short list)

Any of which were just an entertainment muse for a moment of time. Meaningless and irrelevant to most, intriguing and entertaining to some. Thrown away when their time came by most. Truly valued by few and embellished by observers to feel some personal connection of importance for themselves. Trash for the masses, entertainment for the people, relevant only when needed, discarded when convenient.

Fair question. I think there are true innovators in that list of yours. Hendrix did things with technology that changed virtually all genres of pop music forever, for example. Joplin proved that someone with enough passion and soul could not only be popular regardless of their attractiveness, but she brought issues to light, was socially relevant, and championed several traditional songs.

I do think that several on your list will be forgotten, soon. Whitney Houston? please. Not relevant in the long term.

And to those who take issue with me calling the Beatles mediocre - The Beatles didn't write all of their songs. They followed a popular trend. They were incredibly marketed, and were incredibly good at marketing. Their music was nearly irrelevant, as they were counter cultural icons Their import is far greater in how they impacted culture than how they impacted music. Fine, fine. You love them. Fuck me for suggesting that a band you loved wasn't super duper influential. The truth of the matter is, if you know the history, there were others doing the same music. And there have been many others doing it since. Why have they been doing is since? Not because the Beatles music was so fantastic, but because boy bands are marketable and profitable.

:2 cents:

For us Generation X/Yers, I'd put him on our Mount Rushmore of musicians for our generation. Mine would look something like this:

Cobain
Thom Yorke
Trent Reznor
Tupac Shakur

Hon Mention:

Eminem
Nas
Billy Joel (although I fucking hate him)
Metallica
Korn
Beck
Billy Corgan

Mind you I don't like some of these artists, but in terms of importance and so forth, my Generation X/Y Mount Rushmore would have to resemble something like that. IMO.

Good musician, couldve lasted a long time in the music business if he didnt have all his life problems. That or he couldve gone into writing songs for others down the line.

i think you gotta keep in mind that most everyones experience with nirvana are the 2 songs they play on the radio.

Negative Creep and Aneurysm? Or were you referring to D7 and Scentless Apprentice? :confused: :dunno:

For us Generation X/Yers, I'd put him on our Mount Rushmore of musicians for our generation. Mine would look something like this:

Cobain
Thom Yorke
Trent Reznor
Tupac Shakur

Hon Mention:

Eminem
Nas
Metallica
Korn
Beck
Billy Corgan

Mind you I don't like some of these artists, but in terms of importance and so forth, my Generation X/Y Mount Rushmore would have to resemble something like that. IMO.

The Notorious B.I.G. as well he was popular during the era same with Limp Bizket but Fred Durst is a fucking cunt.

Shifty

O.G.
I think everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing the first time they heard Smells Like Teen Spirit ...

i think you gotta keep in mind that most everyones experience with nirvana are the 2 songs they play on the radio.
The whole fucking 'Unplugged' album is better than 90% of the shit that comes out today.

The Notorious B.I.G. as well he was popular during the era same with Limp Bizket but Fred Durst is a fucking cunt.
I thought about BIG but his career was basically just two albums. I know Nirvana only had several as well but they were profound contributions.

I do. I think I might even still have my 'Nevermind' cassette around somewhere too,

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Good songwriting, historically important but somewhat overrated because he died prematurely. Personally, the entire genre he represented is a bit too nihilistic for me to be a major fan. Life's depressing enough without wallowing in it.

Cobain
Thom Yorke
Trent Reznor
Tupac Shakur

Hon Mention:

Eminem
Nas
Metallica
Korn
Beck
Billy Corgan

Billy Joel??? GenX?? How could a guy who reached his peak in the late 70s be on your list, Scott? Not criticizing, just curious. Seems a really odd choice to go with the others you mentioned.