• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

June 6th, 1944

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
ive got uncles who are not with us anymore on both sides who served in wwii.
one got shot up in the battle of the bulge, the other was one of the first to enter paris in the liberation.
either way, we owe these men so much.
in appreciation of them is maybe one reason I love the country so much and hate to see it falling as i think it is or might be.
I hope not.

georges

Staff member
to the veterans and to those who served the brilliant cause against Nazism during WWII. You will never be forgotten for what you did and you will always be kept in our rememberance, in our hearts and in our spirits.

Indeed June 6th 1944 was a significant day.

However, history is written by the victors.

Suggest that several of you here read Antony Beevors new book about D-Day : it was only published last week.

It might help alter your sepia, rosetinted view of the Allies.

For the record, I had relatives who fought on both sides of the war in Europe.

My granduncle served with the Wehrmacht.
And my mothers brother fought for the Brits.

Dude, as an American that is just embarrassing. Don’t ignore our British and Canadian friends.

Also, don't forget Poland! :D Seriously, the Free Polish troops also did their part.

"Of all the countries involved in the war, Poland lost the highest percentage of its citizens: over six million perished, half of them Polish Jews. Poland made the fourth-largest troop contribution to the Allied war effort, after the Soviets, the British and the Americans. The Polish expeditionary corps played an important role in the Italian Campaign, particularly at the Battle of Monte Cassino."

And of course the Free French forces who then had the chance to liberate their country, must have been a very cathartic experience for them to finally get even with the Germans.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
The ones living in Caen must have thought wtf when their city was flattened by allied bombers just before the British and Canadians launched their attacks.

A rather large number of French civilians were killed in the battle for Normandy (though not as many as the French communist party claimed). It must be a bit of a two edged sword, being liberated but having your whole family killed in the process.

The ones living in Caen must have thought wtf when their city was flattened by allied bombers just before the British and Canadians launched their attacks.

A rather large number of French civilians were killed in the battle for Normandy (though not as many as the French communist party claimed). It must be a bit of a two edged sword, being liberated but having your whole family killed in the process.

Correct.
But these facts (and many other facts about the Allies) are glossed over by the Hollywood/BoB/Spielberg propoganda machine.

Don't you know that the only bad guys were the Nazi's??????????
Tom Hanks wouldn't lie, don't you know.

Also, don't forget Poland! :D Seriously, the Free Polish troops also did their part.

"Of all the countries involved in the war, Poland lost the highest percentage of its citizens: over six million perished, half of them Polish Jews. Poland made the fourth-largest troop contribution to the Allied war effort, after the Soviets, the British and the Americans. The Polish expeditionary corps played an important role in the Italian Campaign, particularly at the Battle of Monte Cassino."

And of course the Free French forces who then had the chance to liberate their country, must have been a very cathartic experience for them to finally get even with the Germans.

I didn't mention the Poles because the thread is about D-Day. No disrespect. My family tree has roots in Kracow.

Just got back from Normandy 2 weeks ago. The whole area was really touching. It was raining most of the time so we didnt get a chance to hit the beaches but they were pretty impressive from the cliffs. I still cant believe anyone could have made it that far under fire. What an incredible amout of team work and self sacrafice they showed.

Dude, as an American that is just embarrassing. Don’t ignore our British and Canadian friends.

cheers Baill Inneraora, it is nice to know some people know the facts
as i was quite annoyed when the french didn't invite the Queen to the D-Day memorial service because they believed it to be a franco-american thing because they obviously didnt learn there facts that more commonwealth troops were killed that day than any other country
:glugglug:

cheers Baill Inneraora, it is nice to know some people know the facts
as i was quite annoyed when the french didn't invite the Queen to the D-Day memorial service because they believed it to be a franco-american thing because they obviously didnt learn there facts that more commonwealth troops were killed that day than any other country
:glugglug:

The Free French forces weren't involved on D-Day itself.The suggestion which has been made that the British only had a walk-on part is astounding ignorance.

The Free French forces weren't involved on D-Day itself.The suggestion which has been made that the British only had a walk-on part is astounding ignorance.

Certain Statesiders grasp of historial/numerical/economic fact, is highly tenuous.
Putting it politely.

Certain Statesiders grasp of historial/numerical/economic fact, is highly tenuous.
Putting it politely.

Perhaps it's because Omaha beach was the most dramatic , the other beaches were won with (relatively) light casualties.The Canadians who landed on Juno beach were the only ones to reach their planned objectives-don't forget that Canada accounted for a fifth of the men involved on D-Day .

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Okay...okay...it ain't June yet. But a few of our fine posters have prematurely reanimated this thread, so...what scares me, is that the memory of this date is beginning to fade from our collective minds. That would be a tragedy.