• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Is $999 a good price for an HDTV ???

Been going crazy a good deal on a big screen, so far I may this one here or should I just get cheaper 720p one ?

thats a descent price id say. not too expensive but not the cheapest you can get either. i got a 42" for $599 on black friday. it really depends on the features your lookin for and what you plan on doin with it. you realistically dont need anything more than 720p unless you have all the hd hookups for everything. the framerate is something to look at too. oh and a personal suggestion..... make sure the base swivvles. mine doesnt and it drives me nuts!

well like i said man i got the 42 incher from walmart for 4 $599 and its a polariod. id recommend it to anyone whos lookin for a new tv.

JD

Approved Content Owner
As the saying goes... you get what you pay for.

If you're buying under 42", 1080i or 1080p doesn't matter. The screens aren't designed to be different than 720p, so if you want to save money, get a 720p and you'll see it's every bit as crisp. Once you pass 42" though, then 1080i and the preferred 1080p come into play.

under 42".. LCD is your best bet for picture quality/price etc. Over 42", Plasma can't be touched for quality, brightness etc.

If you want to save coin, and don't want a plasma, try and find a LCoS screen. (Liquid Crystal on Silicone) The picture is unreal.

Analingus

Banned
$999? You are being ripped off. $600 can get you a good one.

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
Prices on HD and HD ready TVs are dropping like crazy. Wait until after Christmas when people stop spending and stores need to drop prices to stay competitive.

Currently, that's what I'm doing...if of course if my BF can decide what size he wants. :rolleyes: My father just told him that he's buying a 52" so the size keeps bouncing between 42 and 52. :1orglaugh

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
That's about industry standard for that size and brand. Circuit City is selling a similar Samsung for $1049. WalMart has the same type as in your link for $14 cheaper. They also have a 50" plasma Samsung for around that price. Target is just plain overpriced.

Analingus

Banned
That's about industry standard for that size and brand. Circuit City is selling a similar Samsung for $1049. WalMart has the same type as in your link for $14 cheaper. They also have a 50" plasma Samsung for around that price. Target is just plain overpriced.

That is what you get for going to a name brand for a product. Look around and you will get a good deal.

Most important of all: Don't buy the HD TV if your old TV still works. Wait until it craps out. It may take several years maybe even over a decade but by then you'll get it for much cheaper. In the meantime put five or ten dollars a week aside and when you do have need to buy the HD TV you can pay cash and won't need to go into debt.

Prices on HD and HD ready TVs are dropping like crazy. Wait until after Christmas when people stop spending and stores need to drop prices to stay competitive.

Currently, that's what I'm doing...if of course if my BF can decide what size he wants. :rolleyes: My father just told him that he's buying a 52" so the size keeps bouncing between 42 and 52. :1orglaugh

I'm in the market.............thats what I'm doing is waiting.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
HD tv's are fuckin sweet! I got my 42" LCD 1080p last february. I LOVE it! Payed little over a grand for it. I had to get the 1080p just cause I had to, but I suppose 720 would be just as good. From what I hear to the untrained eye you can't reallly tell a difference. But go with one that has a 120 hz refresh rate. Less than that and you'll get some streaking like effects on fast action. Not to noticeable, but it is there. I'm used to it now, don't even notice it. Since my tv is mainly for video games anyway, and those run flawlessly with no streaking anyway. Only notice it in movies.

Super Bowl time is a great time to find a great deal. Be sure to go 1080p since the price has dropped so much. That way you can use a Blu Ray Player down the road, they are only $200 these days.

With HDTVs you truly get what you pay for.

Don't buy the cheap pieces of junk Wal-mart and Target advertise. I'd never make a major electronic purchase from either. They both sell low to mediocre quality TVs.

If you are thinking LCD, only go with Sony or Samsung. Even at that, I'd only go with their top models. The Samsung 650, 750, or 850 series. The Sony XBR8 series. Vizio is "ok" is you are looking for value.

If you are thinking Plasma, only go with Panasonic or Pioneer.

Best HDTV info site on the net: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Also check out Cnet. Their reviews are usually on the money. http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=leftColumnArea.0

As the saying goes... you get what you pay for.

If you're buying under 42", 1080i or 1080p doesn't matter. The screens aren't designed to be different than 720p, so if you want to save money, get a 720p and you'll see it's every bit as crisp. Once you pass 42" though, then 1080i and the preferred 1080p come into play.

under 42".. LCD is your best bet for picture quality/price etc. Over 42", Plasma can't be touched for quality, brightness etc.

If you want to save coin, and don't want a plasma, try and find a LCoS screen. (Liquid Crystal on Silicone) The picture is unreal.

This is all very good advice. In addition, I would throw out these tips:

1) Consider your usage. 1080p is gorgeous... if you have it hooked up to 1080p equipment. Right now that consists of Blu-Ray and a small handful of cable channels. Everything else is 720p/1080i. So unless you plan on dropping another $200-$300 on a decent Blu-Ray player (along with buying all new disks) or happen to have an above-average 1080p selection from your cable provider, 720p/1080i will probably be just fine.

2) Contrast ratio. Pay attention to it. The contrast ratio is what makes a TV picture look bright and crisp. A bad contrast ratio can easily make a name brand 1080p TV look worse than an off brand 720p/1080i TV. Although the manufacturers can fudge the numbers a bit, its a good general guide to the quality of a TV.

3) Plasmas look great, but they've had a long history of wearing out before LCD's. For most of their history, plasmas had a life expectancy that was half that of LCD's. Though the manufacturers of the current generation of plasmas claim that they last just as long as LCD's, its impossible to know whether they're telling the truth.

4) Never buy off of specs alone. Go to a store and look at the TV you plan to buy. Compare it to similar TV's. Numbers can be easily stretched and product reviews misleading, but your eyes don't lie.

Most important of all: Don't buy the HD TV if your old TV still works. Wait until it craps out. It may take several years maybe even over a decade but by then you'll get it for much cheaper. In the meantime put five or ten dollars a week aside and when you do have need to buy the HD TV you can pay cash and won't need to go into debt.

Thats really good advice

4) Never buy off of specs alone. Go to a store and look at the TV you plan to buy. Compare it to similar TV's. Numbers can be easily stretched and product reviews misleading, but your eyes don't lie.

Good point, but be mindful that most TVs on display at the store are in a "dynamic" or "store" mode. They will look differently in you house and good calibration can make a huge difference. Furthermore, if a particular model is not hooked up properly or connected to a good source, it's picture quality can be greatly undermined.

Again, check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9 for great info on any HDTV

Thanks for the advice guys I did pick up a $500 for the bedroom but decided to wait for one in the living room until I see a yummy deal.