• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

If you ran the major sports leagues...

what would you change?

NHL

Non guarenteed contracts and signing bonuses.
Columbus, Phoenix, Florida and Anaheim are all folded.
San Jose moves to Quebec.

NBA

Fold Charlotte, Sacramento.
Franchise tag.
Hard salary cap.
Better judgement on shooting fouls. You shouldn't be able to headfake someone into a foul. Too many headfakes and the shooter jumps into the defender. B.S. Pierce is exceptional at this.
Technicals for flopping.
All non playoff teams enter a March Madness style tournament. Winner gets 1st overall pick. Runner up gets 2nd. Remaining teams go by record.
1 and 1 rule.
Fouls in the last 2 minutes result in 2 shots and possession.
Minimum 3 years in college, overseas or D league.
First round of playoffs is back to 5 games.
Reseeding the playoffs each round.

NFL

Less penalties and fines for hard hitters.
Kickoffs back at the 20.
Whatever rule disallowed Calvin Johnsons TD against Chicago two years ago. Fix that.

MLB

Hard salary cap.
DH in both leagues.
2 more playoff positions.
Instant replay.

Uhhh, that's all I can think of right now.

Feel free to add other sports.

NHL-
I actually think, in some ways, that this is the best-run league of the major 4. I don't know if I'd change anything other than better PR. They need to find ways to market their product more effectively.

NBA-
Fold the entire league.

NFL-
Expand into LA
Expand into Mexico City
Crack down HARD on stupidity by players (ie lawbreaking, on-field antics, thuggish behavior of any sort)
Re-align teams to make for better regional matchups.
Rules are pretty good as is
Start a fund to help teams build new stadiums when needed

MLB-
HARD SALARY CAP
Get rid of DH.
Re-align teams to encourage actual regional matchups and rivalries
Start a fund to help teams build new stadiums when needed
Get rid of the DH

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
NHL: improve PR, relocate teams to Seattle/Portland, Milwaukee and Quebec.
NBA: relocate Bobcats and Hornets to Vancouver and Seattle, a hard salary cap, improve the officiating.
NFL: nothing really, just a stronger & enforced player code of conduct.
MLB: salary cap, get rid of the designated hitter and the damn all-star winner gets World Series home field advantage thing, introduce instant replay for officials.

NFL:

-Stop protecting the QB so much
-Allow more contact for the DBs
-Kickoffs back to the 20s

NBA:

-Reduce to 28 teams
-Eligible for draft after 3 years after High School

MLB:

- A CAP!!!!

what would you change?

NBA

All non playoff teams enter a March Madness style tournament. Winner gets 1st overall pick. Runner up gets 2nd. Remaining teams go by record.

Awesome idea. I like that!

NBA-
Fold the entire league.

Why? Rating and attendance continue to go up.

Should we fold the NHL because the games aren't broadcast on basic cable? Seriously, I couldn't watch one game until the Stanley Cup (except for local games).

NFL : Fire Goddell, Full time referees.
MLB : Pete Rose in the hall, No pitchers hit, Tommy Lasorda for commish
NBA : Fire David Stern, no 'touch' fouls for stars, Charles Barkley for commish.
NHL : Move Pittsburgh to Portland, Bring teams back to Canada.

FIFA
Hawk-Eye to see if the ball is in the goal or not, if the fool was commited in or outside the penalty area, if the attacking player was offside or not.
Yellow-carded player go on the bench for the next 15 minutes
Any staff-member who insults the ref. is excluded
If a coach is banned from the pitch fo a few games, he will spent the games in the team's lockers, without his cellphone so that can't communicate with the rest of the staff on the bench

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Oh yeah, for the NHL I'd also fold Edmonton and Calgary. Just because I can.

NASCAR Cup

Get rid of The Chase.
Go back to the old points system, but throw out each Drivers worst 4 races. (Great results don't help you are much as bad ones hurt you.)
Stop penalizing creativity that doesn't violate a written rule, but you just don't like.

NFL
If one team scores a touchdown the other team gets a chance
Move kickoffs back
Give LA and Portland a team
Make players play in Pro Bowl

NBA
Hard salary cap
Draft picks go by season record instead of a lottery
Move Sacramento to Columbus
Move Charlotte to Vancouver

MLB
DH in NL
Instant Replay
Hard salary cap

NHL
Give Seattle and Houston a team
Move Panthers to Kansas City

NFL
get rid of the Pro Bowl
get rid of every team getting a Monday or Sunday night slot
Put 2 Teams in LA

MLB
DH in Both leagues
leave the Astros in the NL or move a second team to the AL i do not want inter league every day or a team off every day no reason for both leagues to have 15 teams the 16-14 split right now is fine
more use of replay including a coaches challenge system
a real Salary cap
use the NFL model for contracts.

NBA
shorten the season to 66 or 72 games
make the play-off series best of 3 until the conference champs which is best of 5 make the Finials best of 7 have the season done bu June 1

NHL
Shorten the season
make the play-offs best of 3 the conference camps best of 5 the Stanley cup best of 7 end the season by April 1st

MLB: Minimum team payroll or whatever the opposite of a salary cap would be called. Shorten the regular season to 150 games so it ends two weeks earlier and the weather isn't so bad in the post-season. Only teams with winning records get guarranteed a player in the A.S. Game. The bad teams need to have their guy earn his way in.

NASCAR: 30 drivers in each race, not 43. Qualifying would matter and there should be less crashes, more driving.

Boxing: One title for each weight class.

NHL... FIRE BETTMAN.... hire new refs... go back to the old style with the fights. I would also MAYBE bring back that the goalie can go back to the whole area behind the net, but can't cover it or a delay of game penalty or something (would have to work on that.)

MLB... make it be 6 innings...

NBA: Make the players dribble the ball with their heads only. Now that would be a game to watch.

NFL: Hire new refs and make the rules more straight forward.

NFL: Move kickoffs back to where they were two years ago because if there is going to be so many touchbacks they might as well not even have kickoffs. Have common sense personal fowls and not every time somebody can't violate the laws of physics and stop their momentum, and not have a penalty every time somebody breathes on the QB wrong. Allow contact up to the point the ball is released on a throw. Realize that concussions are always going to be a possibility, that players, owners, coaches, fans, and everybody else in the country not only should already know that by common sense but has to except that and not chance the nature of the game drastically to try and prevent that. Stop making pretty much every rule change favor the offense like has been done for the past 40 years. Make all contracts guaranteed, make all bonuses simpler, and stop will all the nonsensical bonus and years on the end of the contract that both parties know will never come to pass.

MLB: Make a salary cap and a salary floor. Create very extensive and mostly complete revenue sharing involving anything that a club makes a major amount of money with. That is just as important as getting a salary cap/floor. Get rid of the DH. Get rid off the stupid interleague play nobody gives a rats ass about (other than the World Series). Make a balanced schedule like MLB used to have. Either get rid of the All-Star game or make it so it's taken seriously as a game like it was in the 40s and 50s. That means instead of determining who gets home field advantage which hasn't solved anything it would be played like any two teams in a normal game that try to win. That would mean no team gets at least one automatic selection. That would mean that if somebody is one of the best in the league they will probably play the entire game and not an inning or two. Nobody gets cycled in to pander to a players or their fans feelings if somebody is better than them. The only exception would be pitchers because of the rest they need and the greater chance they can get hurt for some team that isn't their normal one. Get rid of commercials after every inning. With the exceptions for normal stoppages force pitchers to pitch the ball once every ten seconds. Also count every time other than the first a pitcher tries to pick off a runner and fails as a ball against them.

Boxing: Get rid off all the associates and have one league or don't bother to exist as a sport. Make judging a lot more objectively based or make it so their is no such thing as winning by decision. Make a ranking system where once or twice a year the person a rank below somebody can demand a fight with the person above them. No more having somebody dodge fighting somebody for years. Get rid of many of the weight divisions. There will only be three, light weight, middle weight, and heavy weight.

NASCAR: Get rid of the Car of Tomorrow. Make it so the cars are actually different for each manufacturer instead of being basically almost the exact same car with a slightly different shaped nose and different decals faking for headlights and grills. Make it so they more closely resemble the production cars they only pretend to be, and make it so a manufacture has to produce at least 10,000 cars a year that are vastly more similar to what is raced that what they have now. Either that or chance the name to NACAR and stop pretending.

NHL: Make the goalies go back to wearing equipment (other than modern day helmets) that were the size they wore in the 70s.

Once thing people are mentioning that I don't get is why so many people want a certain amount of time after high school before somebody can become a professional. The NCAA already has an exploitive virtual monopolistic cartel that drains money away from their players under the guise of amateurism and some people want to help them out on that even more.

Actually since the NCAA is pretty much a de facto major sport in basketball and football I will go for this

NCAA men’s' football and basketball: All top division colleges have to have revenue sharing, and a salary cap/floor for men's football and basketball. All players will be considered employees of the college (or just students if they can get rid of some of the sillier aspects of Title IX) and are allowed to sign contracts and be able to be paid whatever the NCAA team wants to give them under salary cap (including scholarships as part of that if that's what the player wants) and revenue sharing restrictions. If a NCAA entity doesn't want to do that and they really truly want to be amateur they are only allowed to bring in a small fraction of what they big schools do now in money, they get to make no television deals, and their is a cap on what coaching staffs can make that is only a small fraction of what it is now.

MMA: Get rid of wins by decision. Have only three weight divisions like the boxing example above. Get rid of some of the dumber rules that have come about like the 12 to 6 elbow rules among many many others that have popped up in the last decade. Eliminate or extend the length of rounds and let grapplers work their grapples like in the past. Allow a person to get kicked if he intentionally goes down to a knee or more or at least find a way of punishing those people more.

Formula 1: Get rid of all restrictions on cars except: A car's total volume must fall equal or fall beneath a certain amount. A car must be safe enough it doesn't hurt anybody in the crown and must be safe enough that it doesn't significantly increase the risk of hurting another driver on the track (like blowing up in a huge explosion). Other than that let them do what they want to make their cars fast and create innovations.

Soccer: Without changing enough things where it wouldn't be soccer anymore, but some significant offshoot of it, the sport is just beyond all hope of being something worthwhile.

D-Rock. You like guaranteed contracts? I think the NFL's non guaranteed contracts saves the owners from themselves. I like the signing bonus and the ability to cut a guy if he shits the bed (Haynesworth). The NBA and NHL are both hampered by guys who sign huge contracts and end up riding the bench. (DiPietro, Lewis, Marbury) Sure it's the owners fault, but there should be some sort of fail safe.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
The only one I feel qualified to comment on is....

MLB

1. Pete Rose in the HOF
2. Get rid of Bud Selig; replace him with Earl Weaver, or someone of equal magnitude who loves the game first and foremost.....
3.All "steroid era" players otherwise eligible, no HOF.
4. NO DH.
5. All real goddamn grass.
6. Salary Cap.
7.More day games