• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”

And I hate the Blade movies...but I seem to be alone there.

You're not alone. Those movies are complete garbage...

I'm really only a fan of the first 2 Spiderman movies and the Chris Nolan Batman movies. That's it.

Everything else has been crap. XMen, The Hulk, Fantastic Four....all :vomit:

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608

I'm really only a fan of the first 2 Spiderman movies and the Chris Nolan Batman movies. That's it.

I thought Iron man was pretty good too.

Anyways I though X-men was decent except I wasn't crazy about the story or the dumbed down dialogue.

Mike Mignola disagrees...and he was there while it was being made! ;)
Where did you hear that? I always was under the impression Mignola was quite satisfied with the first Hellboy movie (the second one I don't know).

I always thought that Del Toro's movies are great only when they aren't based on some existing comic book franchise. I'm a huge hellboy fan, but the movies were eh. And I hate the Blade movies...but I seem to be alone there.
I was pretty impressed with both Hellboy movies. Especially the first one. But you're right, they're both not that close to the comics. But I had no problem with that.

I really liked the first and second Blade movie. Blade:Trinity was ok, but nothing special. I wouldn't want to imagine how bad it would have been without Jessica Biel and Parker Posey. I don't see however, how this is del Toro's fault... He directed the second one, yes, but he was hired into a completely designed and determined franchise. He himself said, that his "room to move" had been pretty small, and I'd say he made the best of it.

PS: Speaking of Mignola, The Amazing Screw On Head is up on YouTube in three parts (for now). The art and character design is directly inspired from Mignola's work, the animation is top notch and Paul Giamatti does the voice acting. It's much better than the Hellboy animated stuff IMO.
"The Amazing Screw-on Head" really is great, no, I'd even say it's perfect. Too bad it wasn't picked up for a whole season. One more example for the ignored and misunderstood genius of Bryan Fuller. Without his virtuosic and superb writing skills, the pilot would never have been produced, but it still wasn't enough to make SyFy give it a full season order. This man has constant bad luck. First Showtime and MGM butcher and finally cancel "Dead Like Me" (mind you that was at a time when MGM was still mostly run by strongly prejudiced conservatives (Fuller even had to remove the only gay character from the show) and before Showtime realized the potential of controversial paytv and brought us shows like Weeds, Dexter, Californication or lately Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara). Then FOX kills his new project "Wonderfalls" by putting it on the friday night death slot before even giving it a chance and cancelling it after only four episodes. He finally gets his hands on a hit franchise ("Heroes", which interestingly took a creative nose dive after Fuller left after season one), which gives him a new shot at a show of his own, "Pushing Daisies", which is then again killed, this time by two strikes in a row and very bad programming by ABC. This man has absolutely no luck.

Del Toro's a very talented director, amongst the best working today I would say, to go on and work on other projects may be the right move for his career, rather than having to spend six years on the same one.
I'd agree with that. Let's see what he comes up with next. About a year ago he said he'd like to do a movie which is a mixture of Ridley Scott's "Alien", John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing" and Lovecraft's "Mountains of Madness". That I'd like to see. :D

What, you don't like three quarters of your movie to be in shot in slow motion against a green screen that seemingly shows and represents absolutely nothing?

Sucks to be you fella....
I don't see the problem. :D Snyder is a style genius. He knows exactly how to get the images he wants. And don't forget that he is responsible for the arguably best horror remake of all times, "Dawn of the Dead". That movie is even better than Romero's original. I'd even go so far as to say that it's the best Zombie flick ever made. It's definitely the most realistic one so far. Thus, just because most of "300" and large parts of "Watchmen" were shoot in front of a green screen doesn't mean the man doesn't know his craft.
I really hope he does the "Heavy Metal" remake he once talked about. After that I'll probably build a shrine for him.

And don't forget that he is responsible for the arguably best horror remake of all times, "Dawn of the Dead". That movie is even better than Romero's original. I'd even go so far as to say that it's the best Zombie flick ever made.

Oh. The wrong. It hurts!!! :bawling::mad:

You deserve a very slow and painful death for this statement. One that I hope happens sooner rather than later.

DIE!

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
They all can save money and time if they just animate it again, just sayin....

roronoa3000

Banned
Even considering what they are making I find that to be highly optimistic.

LoTR made a billion dollars in cinemas alone. Not counting DVD sale and merchandise.

Why would the Hobbit not garner the same amount of interest from fans of the first three movies?

Peter Jackson is still working on this movie.

Oh. The wrong. It hurts!!! :bawling::mad:

You deserve a very slow and painful death for this statement. One that I hope happens sooner rather than later.

DIE!

Explain.
The only genre remake I can think of, that could be on the same level is John Carpenter's version of "The Thing". There are some other very good remakes like Nispel's/Bay's "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", Rob Zombies "Halloween" or Aja's/Levasseur's "The Hills Have Eyes". But nothing else that comes into my mind right now is even close.

Or do you think Romero is god and there's no comparison to the original?

roronoa3000

Banned

X2, Ed Norton's Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 1 and 2 were good movies.

FU:thefingerif anyone disagrees!:mad:

What I don't get is why each LOTR book was given one movie (granted that the extended version of Return Of The King was over 3 hours long) while the Hobbit, which is half the length is going to be two films?

Why are they doing this shit of splitting up movies just because the dumbass people with ADD can't sit still for more than 90 minutes? Remember movies like the Godfather, Schindler's List, JFK, Ben Hur, Lawrence Of Arabia, Gone With The Wind, all over three hours long. Although not released in it's full version in America, Once Upon A Time in America did air in European theaters at it's full length of nearly four hours. The 1996 version of Hamlet, running about 4 hours, may be one of the longest films ever shown in American cinema.

roronoa3000

Banned
Why are they doing this shit of splitting up movies just because the dumbass people with ADD can't sit still for more than 90 minutes? Remember movies like the Godfather, Schindler's List, JFK, Ben Hur, Lawrence Of Arabia, all over three hours long. Although not released in it's full version in America, Once Upon A Time in America did air in theaters at it's full length of nearly four hours. The 1996 version of Hamlet, running about 4 hours, may be one of the longest films ever shown in American cinema.

Fuck old stuff.

I guess that answers my question.

Explain.
The only genre remake I can think of, that could be on the same level is John Carpenter's version of "The Thing". There are some other very good remakes like Nispel's/Bay's "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", Rob Zombies "Halloween" or Aja's/Levasseur's "The Hills Have Eyes". But nothing else that comes into my mind right now is even close.

Or do you think Romero is god and there's no comparison to the original?

I don't know if I should, after all you are dead to me. But still, the 'best remake' part of your statement wasn't really what I was alluding to in my own. Saying it was better than the original, a movie I consider the best zombie movie of all time was something I found a little surprising. No I do not think Romero is God, I may still have a high regard for his work but that's decreasing with every abomination he adds to the series (I hear Survival of the Dead is worse than Diary, how is that even possible?). I think the remake of Dawn is a good film, if not somewhat forgettable. Snyder took it upon himself to remake the movie that was going to speak to modern audiences and I commend him for it, it worked. I just do not consider it to be in the same league as the original.

But it's all relative and if there's one thing more pointless than arguing about religion on the internet. It's arguing about movies. So good day to you dead man.

:hatsoff:

I don't know if I should, after all you are dead to me. But still, the 'best remake' part of your statement wasn't really what I was alluding to in my own. Saying it was better than the original, a movie I consider the best zombie movie of all time was something I found a little surprising. No I do not think Romero is God, I may still have a high regard for his work but that's decreasing with every abomination he adds to the series (I hear Survival of the Dead is worse than Diary, how is that even possible?). I think the remake of Dawn is a good film, if not somewhat forgettable. Snyder took it upon himself to remake the movie that was going to speak to modern audiences and I commend him for it, it worked. I just do not consider it to be in the same league as the original.

But it's all relative and if there's one thing more pointless than arguing about religion on the internet. It's arguing about movies. So good day to you dead man.

:hatsoff:

I completely understand your point. Except the part where you don't like "Diary of the Dead". I think it's rather funny. :D Sadly, I haven't seen anything related to Survival of the Dead, yet.
Of course, the Zack Snyder remake lacks a lot of the subliminal, " subcutaneous" social and political criticism of the original, but it is vastly superior when it comes to cinematography, special and visual effects and sound. The directing is a matter of taste, as you couldn't put a hair between both directors in my opinion. Snyder has sometimes a little faster pace, whereas Romero manages to deliver a sense of the epic even to low budget movies. (By the way, have you seen his son's movie, "Staunton Hill"? That one was, with the exception of one scene, pretty bad.)
Well, I loved Snyder's remake. Perhaps I rank it so high because I was just surprised by the heart that was put into it and the crushing realism. This movie has no slapstick, no fun gore or anything like that. It's just straigh up, as if someone took a movie camera to the zombie apocalypse. I think that makes it superior to most of the zombie flicks that just repeat themselves or just want to be funny and gory and bloody but nothing else.
But as you said, that's a matter of taste. We don't need a freudian-nietzsche-like discussion about it. ;)

But you seem to like movies with (un)dead people in them... does that mean you like me to... as I'm dead now and all... :D