• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Greatest Rock Band Contest

My friends and I had a little face book tournament to decide on the greatest band. Colin Cowherd did one in the early spring but we thought his seeding was horrible. We set up the seeds then each round was voted on by friends and friends of friends. Curious as to what some freeones opinions might be.

Attachments

• final.JPG
    final.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 169

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
How do I know that bracket is shite?

Oasis lost to Led Zeppelin in the first round!?:stfu:

Good idea Baill!

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
I think you have it. :) - The Beatles!! ;)

1964 - 1970 (subjective; only from England):

Songwriters - John Lennon & Paul McCartney, followed by Peter Townshend, followed by Mick Jagger & Keith Richards, followed by Roger Waters, followed by Peter Green, followed by Robert Plant & Jimmy Page.

Most talented musicians (overall different instruments) - Brian Jones, John Paul Jones, Steve Winwood, Paul McCartney, and John Lennon.

Best lead guitarist - Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Peter Green, Kim Simmonds, David Gilmour, Robin Trower, Keith Richards, John McLaughlin, Robert Fripp, George Harrison, Danny Kirwan, and Tony Iommi.

Best bass guitarist - John Entwhistle, Jack Bruce, Greg Lake, Greg Ridley, and Terry "Geezer" Butler.

Best drummer - Keith Moon, John Bonham, Charlie Watts, and Ginger Baker.

Best Pianist/Organist - Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne, Keith Emerson, Paul McCartney, and John Lennon.

Vocalists - Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, Roger Daultry, John Mayall, Alexis Korner, Terry Reid, John Osbourne, Steve Marriott, and Chris Youlden.

Anything else? :)

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
Charlie watts?
hate to pick your list apart but Charlie watts?

good list though, just missing drummers jimmy chamberlain and terry bozzio and geetarists Billy corgan and J mascis and its good.

Greatest list by instrument is suspect if nobody from the Jam is included.

Also John Taylor from Duran Duran and Power Station is the most underrated bass player. Critics don't give him enough credit because Duran Duran was too pop for music critic snobs.

OK, where do I start...

1: The Allman Brothers don't even make the field?
2: The White Stripes over anybody?
3: The Greatful Dead go down to the Bee Gees?
4: Lynyrd Skynyrd beat by Cheap fucking Trick?

I am calling :bs: on this one.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
charlie watts?
hate to pick your list apart but charlie watts?

good list though, just missing drummers jimmy chamberlain and terry bozzio and geetarists Billy corgan and J mascis and its good.

Charlie Watts - gave the Stones their rhythm section. Bottomline. The reason was because Bill Wyman was, in reality, good but not the musicians that Jagger, Richards, Jones and Watts were. Wyman was the weak link in the band.

Greatest list by instrument is suspect if nobody from the Jam is included.

Also John Taylor from Duran Duran and Power Station is the most underrated bass player. Critics don't give him enough credit because Duran Duran was too pop for music critic snobs.

I did prefence it by saying -- 1964 - 1970 subjective; England only.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
I would have picked Beatles and Stones into the finals, but your champion was correct.

:hatsoff:

Really?

You leave off some of the Hallmark bands and include 'wannabe-bands' (i.e.: Green Day, Genesis, Ramones, REM)...
...The Allman Brothers beats any of those down blind-folded and hands tied;
...No Dire Straits...again Mark Knopfler will own any of those 'boy-band' guitarists.
...No Bob Dylan?
...No Bob Segar?
...No CCR?
...No Doobie Brothers?
...No BTO...
Remove those 4...and Cheap Trick, INXS, and Bee Gees...and put the ones that I mentioned in...and you "tournament" has a lot of heat...and a lot of history...the 'boy-bandish' ones got their influence from the ones before them...which in my mind gives the "originators" presidence...and not those who just 'mix and mash' the notes...Bah!

But Kudos to at least putting The Beatles, and Zep-Zep into the championship...but with the ones that I put in...It would have been The Beatles v. The Allman Brothers. (Winner: The Allman Brothers ((TAB); but in sudden-death sextuplet-overtime.

bahodeme

Closed Account
You had some interesting picks. The Kinks over Sly & The Family Stone, The Replacement over Motley Crue, Velvet Underground over Heart. I was wondering the criteria (historical value, albums, or just more song liked).

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
ramones on fleetwood mac?

nirvana on the fucking beach boys?

how can these even be compared?

actually it all comes down to money, who has sold the most records wins. It's easy now just do the research and you will find out who.
Beatles and Elvis are top dogs, Micheal Jackson gets the bronze
But then you take out Elvis and Jackson since they are not Rock and Roll Bands?
go down the line the next Rock band would be Led Zeppelin.

So looks like that final bracket is right, if you look through history of sales.

Patrick_S

persona non grata
The funniest thing about this thread is that Duran Duran is in the "Chuck Berry Rock" section of the chart in the first post. Now i´m gonna listen to some Motörhead, just to remind myself what real rock n´ roll sounds like.