• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Greatest Rock Band Contest

This is way too subjective of a topic. I understand this was your friends voting on the outcome, but you have to have a better system.

First of all, I'm not going to clown your picks like everybody else, but you need to double the participants to 128 and re seed them.

Once that is set, figure out a scoring system for the head to heads so it's not based on opinion. Rate each band out of 5 in categories like; catalogue(a huge catologue like the beatles or stones would get 5, while Hendrix would be way lower), influence, technical ability, # of hits, originality and something like 'cool factor' or 'x factor', which is basically just that legendary status some bands had outside of the studio. The Who had it. Ozzy had it.

Once you have all of this figured out, total each bands score and whoever has the highest wins. I'm not going to do this, because I'm hungover as fuck and I know there is really only 3 bands that can be considered the greatest. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
AC-DC was beaten by The Clash? I like The Clash, .. but wtf?
This thread made me think of this pic. It seems to put it quite well.

4366thumbs_demotivational-0013.jpg

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Cheap Trick over Lynyrd Skynyrd in the first round? :eek: :wtf: :noway:

Plus, where's Derek & The Dominoes, Allman Brothers, etc? What criteria was used to determine who made the tournament?

I do agree with the ultimate winner, however.

Really?

You leave off some of the Hallmark bands and include 'wannabe-bands' (i.e.: Green Day, Genesis, Ramones, REM)...
...The Allman Brothers beats any of those down blind-folded and hands tied;
...No Dire Straits...again Mark Knopfler will own any of those 'boy-band' guitarists.
...No Bob Dylan?
...No Bob Segar?
...No CCR?
...No Doobie Brothers?
...No BTO...
Remove those 4...and Cheap Trick, INXS, and Bee Gees...and put the ones that I mentioned in...and you "tournament" has a lot of heat...and a lot of history...the 'boy-bandish' ones got their influence from the ones before them...which in my mind gives the "originators" presidence...and not those who just 'mix and mash' the notes...Bah!

But Kudos to at least putting The Beatles, and Zep-Zep into the championship...but with the ones that I put in...It would have been The Beatles v. The Allman Brothers. (Winner: The Allman Brothers ((TAB); but in sudden-death sextuplet-overtime.

CCR was in.

BTO really? They will be saved for the Greatest One Hit wonders contest.

Bob Dylan and Bob Segar are people not bands.

I set up the seedings, but the winners were determined by online voting on facebook.

It makes perfect sense that Cheap Trick beat Lynard Skynard. I live in C-bus Ohio therefore many of my friends do also. So do their friends etc. Votes came from TX, Ca, Ha, IL, Pa, WA, but the vast majority of the votes came from Ohio.

So it was not surprising a crappy confederate rock band lost to a solid Midwestern rock band.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Bob Dylan and Bob Segar are people not bands.

But Simon & Garfunkel are? How about Bob Segar & The Silver Bullet Band then? :facepalm:

I set up the seedings, but the winners were determined by online voting on facebook.

The seedings are way off in my book. No matter...it was your tournament so you can have whoever you want in it. However, if you put it up for comments here, don't be surprised if we don't like your choices, pal!

Can anyone name someone from the Silver Bullet band?

The seedings were mostly based on critcs. Sure someone can argue about some of the higher seeds, but all in all I think it was pretty accurate.
What specifically do you think was way off? The #1 seeds were right, #2 seeds were right on. Someone may argue U2 might not deserve a #2 seed, but it can certainly be debated that they belong there. Take personal preferences out of it. I can’t stand Pink Floyd, but I’m not going to argue that they don’t deserve the top #2 seed.

There were some complaints about the Grateful Dead getting a #8 seed. But the committee felt that they should be rewarded for such a solid road record. Also bonus points for having a diabetic that was high for 30 years before he passed.

BTO is not a 1 hit wonder, they have taking care of business, roll on down the highway, aint seen nothing yet, let it ride

mind, you, aint seen nothing yet was there only number one

First round matchups were around 75-125 each. (32 polls were a little overwhelming)

Later in the tourney, each contest would get about 250-300 votes.

why the fuck are the beetles always associated with the phrase "the worlds best rock band ever"

Why? Besides being the most commercially successful, influential and critically acclaimed acts in the history of popular music. They had a couple hits:

"A Hard Day's Night"
"Act Naturally"
"Ain't She Sweet"
"All My Loving"
"All You Need Is Love"
"And I Love Her"
"Ask Me Why"
"Baby, You're a Rich Man"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"Boys" /
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Come Together"
"Cry for a Shadow"
"Day Tripper"
"Do You Want to Know a Secret"
"Don't Let Me Down"
"Don't Pass Me By"
"Eight Days a Week"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"For You Blue"
"From Me to You"
"Get Back" /
"Got to Get You into My Life"
"Hello, Goodbye"
"Help!"
"Helter Skelter"
"Hey Jude"
"I Am the Walrus"
"I Don't Want to Spoil the Party"
"I Feel Fine"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"I Should Have Known Better"
"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
"If I Fell"
"If You Love Me, Baby"
"I'll Cry Instead"
"I'll Get You"
"I'm Down"
"I'm Happy Just to Dance with You"
"Julia"
"Lady Madonna"
"Let It Be"
"Love Me Do"
"Matchbox"
"Misery"
"Nobody's Child"
"Nowhere Man"
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
"Old Brown Shoe"
"P.S. I Love You"
"Paperback Writer"
"Penny Lane"
"Please Mister Postman"
"Please Please Me"
"Rain"
"Revolution"
"Roll Over Beethoven"
"She Loves You"
"She's a Woman"
"Slow Down"
"Something"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Sweet Georgia Brown"
"Take Out Some Insurance on Me, Baby"
"Tell Me Why"
"Thank You Girl"
"The Ballad of John and Yoko"
"The Inner Light"
"The Long and Winding Road"
"There's a Place"
"Things We Said Today"
"This Boy"
"Ticket to Ride"
"Twist and Shout"
"We Can Work It Out"
"What Goes On"
"Why"
"Yellow Submarine"
"Yes It Is"
"Yesterday"
"You Can't Do That"

Drew Abbott?

The one armed pitcher? :dunno:

If you could have made it to the bar Jagger, the committee toke arguments into consideration. For instance we ruled Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers out because it’s basically just Tom Petty. By the same reasoning we ruled Bob Marley and the Wailers out, but my brother made a convincing argument. He argued that Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer and Junior Braithwaite were just as important to reggae as Bob Marley.

Why? Besides being the most commercially successful, influential and critically acclaimed acts in the history of popular music. They had a couple hits:

"A Hard Day's Night"
"Act Naturally"
"Ain't She Sweet"
"All My Loving"
"All You Need Is Love"
"And I Love Her"
"Ask Me Why"
"Baby, You're a Rich Man"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"Boys" /
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Come Together"
"Cry for a Shadow"
"Day Tripper"
"Do You Want to Know a Secret"
"Don't Let Me Down"
"Don't Pass Me By"
"Eight Days a Week"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"For You Blue"
"From Me to You"
"Get Back" /
"Got to Get You into My Life"
"Hello, Goodbye"
"Help!"
"Helter Skelter"
"Hey Jude"
"I Am the Walrus"
"I Don't Want to Spoil the Party"
"I Feel Fine"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"I Should Have Known Better"
"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
"If I Fell"
"If You Love Me, Baby"
"I'll Cry Instead"
"I'll Get You"
"I'm Down"
"I'm Happy Just to Dance with You"
"Julia"
"Lady Madonna"
"Let It Be"
"Love Me Do"
"Matchbox"
"Misery"
"Nobody's Child"
"Nowhere Man"
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
"Old Brown Shoe"
"P.S. I Love You"
"Paperback Writer"
"Penny Lane"
"Please Mister Postman"
"Please Please Me"
"Rain"
"Revolution"
"Roll Over Beethoven"
"She Loves You"
"She's a Woman"
"Slow Down"
"Something"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Sweet Georgia Brown"
"Take Out Some Insurance on Me, Baby"
"Tell Me Why"
"Thank You Girl"
"The Ballad of John and Yoko"
"The Inner Light"
"The Long and Winding Road"
"There's a Place"
"Things We Said Today"
"This Boy"
"Ticket to Ride"
"Twist and Shout"
"We Can Work It Out"
"What Goes On"
"Why"
"Yellow Submarine"
"Yes It Is"
"Yesterday"
"You Can't Do That"
You can say what you want about the Beatles,but they never rocked very hard.
And far from all of those songs were hits.