• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Greatest military commander of all time ?

Greatest military commander in History

• Alexander the Great

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Julius Ceasar

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Hannibal

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Genghis Khan

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • William Wallace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saladin

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • George Washington

• Napoleon Bonaparte

• Robert Lee

• Ulysses Grant

• Erwin Rommel

• George Patton

• Douglas McArthur

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Bernard Montgommery

• Moshe Dayan

• Total voters

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
In your opinion, who was the greatest military commander of all time ?

I'm gonna be a french patriot and say Napoleon : He was promoted Genaral at only 24 (after he won his first significant battle, the Siege of Toulon, 1793), won his first campaign at only 28 (Italian campain, 1796-1797), for almost 20 years (1796-1814) he thought and defeated a large coalition of ennemies (England, Prussia, Austria, Russia) and won many battles in wich his enemies armies outnumbered his.
Many of his battles are still studied in military schools.

Nice, a brutal, evil human being, and the first anti-christ.

Gotta be Washington, he gave us our freedom, and started a great country.

Market Garden was a disaster. I'm puzzled why you would use it as an example.

Bernhard Montgommery did some great things in WW II and in Africa.
I just picked him because he was trying to liberate Arnhem and I am born and raised in Arnhem.

Just my opinion, my friend, nothing more.

Mayhem

Banned
I just picked him because he was trying to liberate Arnhem and I am born and raised in Arnhem.

Well that's not a bad way of thinking then. :)

I wasn't calling you out, BTW. Just asking out of curiosity.

Red XXX

Official Checked Star Member

I'm sure you've have already but have you seen Jeremy Clarksons documentary on the Victoria Cross, his father-in-law was Major Robert Henry Cain who recieved a VC for his actions at Arnhem and up until he died he had idea of his father-in-laws bravery.

Red XXX

Official Checked Star Member
72,000 French vs 68,000 English + 30,000 Prussians.
'nough said
I'm just being pedantic - but all battles are a numbers games, look at Agincourt 6,000 English vs 20/30,000 French 'nough said' :hugkiss:

Nice, a brutal, evil human being, and the first anti-christ.

Gotta be Washington, he gave us our freedom, and started a great country.
I'm not talking about state leaders, Im' talking about military commanders, I'm talking about strategy geniuses (nd here, i'm not sayio,ng Washington wasn't a strategy genius, otherwise I wouldn't have put him in the poll).

A brutal evil humain being ? I wouldn't say so. A tyran, yes, I admit it. But as a tyran, he was an enlightened one. He gave us the Napoleonian Code (called the Code Civil in France), wich, with the 1789 Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen remain the very basis of french law.

Also I believe our country needed a strong leader at that time of our History. With the Revolution, France had made lots of ennemies who feared the same thing could happen in their countries or just wanted revenge 'cause the former royal family was, someway, close to them.
Without him, France would have been overwhelmed by it enemies, they would have put a king back on the throne and the people would have been "punished" for the Revolution.

I'm just being pedantic - but all battles are a numbers games, look at Agincourt 6,000 English vs 20/30,000 French 'nough said' :hugkiss:
The English commander was a great one. Or maybe the french commander was fucking stupid. Or maybe the english was a genius ANd the french was stupid.

Need to think about this one. I will probably cull out the losers first.

It's hard to imagine the terror that Genghis Khan inspired, and he did so without a lot of resources. Some how, he was able to rally people behind him. He had to be some leader, I think.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Lots of great choices up there. I voted for Alexander the Great, mainly because he (and his father, Philip II) took Macedon from being a Greek outlier to being a powerful, uniting force within the Greek city-states... and with him, Greece became the major superpower of the ancient world for a time. Good arguments could certainly be made for others. But Alexander was a pretty easy choice, IMO.

I'd also throw in an honorable mention for William Tecumseh Sherman. He was a student of history, had read the Latin/Greek classics and was a fan of the (Roman) concept of "total war". If the objective is to conquer a territory and defeat the enemy, then that's what you do... whatever that takes. Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston said of Sherman's "March to the Sea": “There had been no such army since the days of Julius Caesar.” There is a very good book written on the topic for those who have an interest. It's aptly titled, No Such Army Since the Days of Julius Caesar.

But Alexander did what Sherman did once, over & over & over again. Considering his age, that was truly amazing!

Alexander the Great: He never lost a battle, and was usually outnumbered . He led from the front, in which he recieves wounds form every major weapon in existence at time, and almost died 3 times from major wounds from battle. Alexander was one of, if not the greatest strategist in military history. Alexander crossed the Hindu Kush in the late Winter. And most people know of his battles with the Persians. That doesn't even makeup 1/4 of Alexander's military accomplishments and legacy. There,re the Balkan, Mallian, Indian,and Bactrian Campaigns along with the Sieges of Thebes, Miletus, Pelium, Halicarnassus, Tyre, Gaza, and Aornos. It's the variety of the armies that he faced that sets him apart. He was able to defeat the armies of Persia, tribes from the steppes, and armies containing elephants of the Indus region in India.

Battle of Gaugamela
Battle of the Granicus
Battle of Issus
Battle of the Persian Gate

Balkan Campaign
Battle of Jaxartes

Indiian Campaign
Battle of the Hydaspes

Well that's not a bad way of thinking then. :)

I wasn't calling you out, BTW. Just asking out of curiosity.

If you have the possibility to visit The Netherlands, feel free to ask me to give you a free sight seeing tour of Arnhem. :hatsoff:

Kingfisher

Here Zombie, Zombie, Zombie...
I have a respect for the Khan. Revolutionary (for that time) hit and run tactics, new bow designs, made a entire country put up a huge ass wall to keep them from attacking.

1. Alexander
2. Ghengis
3. George

1. Alexander
2. Ghengis
3. George