• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

German Kids Endure Hare-Raising Experience

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
A news story from the area I live...

Slaughtered at School
German Kids Endure Hare-Raising Experience

By Frauke Lüpke-Narberhaus

It was a lesson designed to help teach children the realities of life: Teachers at a school in Schleswig-Holstein arranged for a rabbit to be slaughtered in front of the kids to give them an insight into how Stone Age people managed to live without a freezer. Ultimately, though, not even a student petition couldn't save the bunny from its grisly fate.

Full Story on The Spiegel Online

I find the reaction of the parents really astonishing. Shouldn't children be taught where all the food comes from?

When I was 6 years old, one afternoon, I went to the butcher that was down the street, it was a little village. He had the slaughterhouse right next door to his shop, and the gate was open, I had heard some interesting noises from there.

He and one of his workers were handling a pig, the helper had the pig in a tight grip, and then the butcher took some bolt shooting apparatus and knocked the pig on the forehead, it gave a squeal and dropped dead.

Then they put it in a tub of boiling water, skinned it, etc.

I did not feel bad or anything, it was really interesting and then I knew how that tasty food became processed.

Of course, I also went to a farmer with a classmate very often, it was his granddad, and we watched the cows, how they got milked, etc, and the fields with potoatoes and all.

Too many kids today seem to think, milk comes out of that bottle and chicken chips grow on trees or whatever.

What do you think?

Hare razing...

No, thats just wrong for kids too see. We don't live in the Stone Age any longer.

In Stone Age it was normal day life and for kids (probably or hopefully) not at all shocking to see such things. Today things are different. I am 23 years old and I wouldn't want to see that.

TheOrangeCat

AFK..being taken to the vet to get neutered.
Kids need to understand the connection between live animals and the food on their plates. This is a perfect life lesson, done in a safe, controlled way, unlike in my day when it was an uncensored field trip to the local abattoir in all it's bloody, horrific, glory.

First time you hear cow guts hit the floor, and then see them start squirming and splooshing about, food takes on a whole new context.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
No, thats just wrong for kids too see. We don't live in the Stone Age any longer.

In Stone Age it was normal day life and for kids (probably or hopefully) not at all shocking to see such things. Today things are different. I am 23 years old and I wouldn't want to see that.

You know, all the meat you eat still gets slaughtered and butchered. So why not accept that fact. I think if I am eating animals, I should also be able to at least witness the process of them being put to death.

Have you ever gone fishing? I find that way easier to do, pull out the fish, knock them dead and make them ready for getting grilled over an open fire or so.

Growing up we have always had cows, rabbits, gardens etc. So I think all kids need to see the value of life as well as the reality of where food comes from, unfortunately I at a young age had to help with the butchering process, I'm a little desensitized but a more humble man :cool:

Fifth graders? Really? I skinned and butchered my first rabbit about that age, not to mention countless fish cleaned and gutted by then. You can't grill it until you kill it. This is the kind of candy-ass kids we are raising these days?

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Reminds me of being in the woods next to the street I grew up in, was in there all the time, and learned about cows, bulls etc. I used to marvel about classmates from the city who could not handle seeing a blindworm on the path or who would ask why I did not favor crossing a field with a bull on it.

'Hey, why not, there's just one cow on it!' - 'Yeah, go ahead, let him rip you a new one...'