• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Civilian weapons

TheOrangeCat

AFK..being taken to the vet to get neutered.
You're right .. deciding to do something inherently risky to life is never the same as deciding to do something inherently risky ...

No. You didn't get behind the wheel and decide to kill people. Your car wasn't designed to kill. It's not even remotely the same.

Neither were three wheelers, but the government wiped them out in favor of four wheelers. Why? Because they killed nevertheless.
(I didn't care because I liked Suzuki anyhow).

Why not have a breathalyzer ignition on a car? Why not? You don't hear an uproar about this... You would if a DUI driver killed a bunch of kids. But the deaths are two or three at a time from dui's. the total exceeds gun deaths though.

So the government got rid of the dangerous ones and kept the safer ones? Kinda like not allowing people to buy certain guns but still allowing them to exercise their right to bear arms?
I'd be for having breathalyzer ignitions. Why not? Keep idiot drunk drivers off the road. Besides, none of this answers my question anyway. Since there is other, higher causes of death, we shouldn't reform gun control laws? Instead of the typical, "well if we do x, we may as well do y and z, etc", tell me why things are fine the way they are. I'm all for the people owning guns. I'm not for guns being in the homes of criminals, the mentally challenged, etc. Accidents and random shit is always going to happen, but these mass shootings are no accidents. Johan has made many good points about the availability of guns to the VT shooter and why this mother who is raising a troubled child has guns in the house. Why can't there be more tests, evaluations, checkups to get a gun? You're still allowed to own them. IMO, you're accepting these shootings as long as you get your guns if things stay the way they are. The attitude seems to be, "Oh well! Shit happens. Now I'm going to clean my gun." It sucks that good law abiding people could be affected by new laws and regulations, but if it's done properly, they shouldn't have anything to complain about.

You're right .. deciding to do something inherently risky to life is never the same as deciding to do something inherently risky ...

It's not. You know they're not. Are you just playing devils avocado or something? I feel like you're pulling my chain. It's why murder isn't the same as manslaughter. Intent.

The gun thing is pretty broad topic, but if civilians would give away their weapons then the criminals and mental ill people would be less able to commit crimes.

Am I right?

georges

Staff member
Johan voted for Hollande, a president who is against guns so that is not astonishing that he hates them. I have been a member of the nra during 12 years , I never regretted it. If I need to suscribe in a club to get a gun permit, I will do it.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Well, Chicago has VERY strict handgun laws...look how many people commit crimes there, with guns. More obvious to me, is Mexico, you aren't allowed to own guns there, but they have massive amounts of drug related gun violence, which they blame on the U.S., and conveniently neglect to mention what pours across their boarders from the Southern countries. The ones where all of the coke is actually produced. They neglect to tell you that, machine gun ownership is seriously, and strictly monitored in this country, and there is no possible way to sell one to a Mexican citizen without eventually being caught, and sent to a federal penitentiary. They forget to tell you about the corrupt Mexican officials that take bribes to let trucks roll through....and most likely American boarder agents as well....yet they criminals are still more well armed then the law, or the private citizen. The likely hood is, corrupt police, and politicians, will still be able to let guns into America, if guns were taken from the law abiding. We would just be sad little victims, all waiting to be slaughtered.

Ace, thank you....right click.......SAVE

assari. Translate, then spell phonetically please. I have a feeling I might wanna say that to my boss.

When did Chicago passed these laws about guns ?
What were the crime rate and the gun-related homicide rate before the law was passed ?
What are these rates now ?

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
When did Chicago passed these laws about guns ?
What were the crime rate and the gun-related homicide rate before the law was passed ?
What are these rates now ?

Dude, don't you know how to use google? I told you, I'm not your researcher. Do the work yourself. When I'm not certain I'm right, I'll do the leg work.

They've always had strict gun laws, and when obama was a Sen., he did nothing but make it worse, including voting against a homeowners right to be secure in their own home. In fact, he voted anti gun owner EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I don't suppose anyone ever noticed that this shit doesn't happen in Texas, or Vermont, or Fla. nearly as often, if at all, as it does in places that have strict gun laws.

How much has the crime rate in Wash. D.C. dropped since they restored the peoples right to bear arms.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Johan I am surprised at your answer. I thought you were going to want a total ban. Licensing and registration and safety classes should all be part of the process. Storage should be in a locked area with ammunition separately locked in the home and in transport. That is what responsible owners should do. I don't know about psychological evaluations but background checks should be in order and reviewed upon renewal.

Assari, I don't know where to start with you. How do you figure that only small guns for citizens is the answer? It's not all about personal protection. Some people hunt. Some target shoot. Some like to collect. I'm surprised that someone from Finland would have such ideas considering how well you do in the summer shooting and winter biathlon Olympic sports.

Johan I am surprised at your answer. I thought you were going to want a total ban. Licensing and registration and safety classes should all be part of the process. Storage should be in a locked area with ammunition separately locked in the home and in transport. That is what responsible owners should do. I don't know about psychological evaluations but background checks should be in order and reviewed upon renewal.
There was a time when I would have asked for a total ban.
But talking about gun lwas with some of you guys that are pro-guns but alos responsible citizens are people you can talk with (See what mean, who I am not referin to) made me change my mind.

Also, I've been doing some research about french gun laws and they pretty look like what we are talking about : licensing, safe storage, ban on automatics, etc.
I can't go around telling about France lower crime rate and all that stuff and ask from gun laws even stricter than what we have in France !
I can't be, as we say in France, more royalist than the King !

Bob, small caliber single shot gun is enough for self defence, automatic weapons are designed for mass murder.

I understand that some people like to hunt and collect weapons, but now we have to think about common good.

Less civilian weapons, less chance that they ending up in the wrong hands.

Sporting weapons are a different matter because they are stored in safe place.

(Well, at least they say so.)

"Connecticut shooting; 20 kids and 7 adults are dead because one person had access to three different types of weapon."

http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-private-citizens-be-allowed-to-legally-own-guns

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Assari you confuse me. Single shots for self defense are okay but fewer guns would be better. It is not about self defense or the number of guns. It's about the right to own a gun and use it in a responsible way. All weapons should be cared for in the same way. When you refer to "the common good", that is just an excuse to limit the individual citizen's voice.

Many people enjoy the skill of shooting. It's a common recreation in many areas of this country. These people find places to shoot at bottles or targets or maybe their old television because their team lost a game. They know what destruction a gun can have. They set up in an area that people won't get hurt. No harm done if they stay safe. Why not let these people enjoy themselves?

If I lived in a city that had high crime, the last thing I would want is to allow everyone walking in the streets to have a gun for protection. Too much of a chance for it to be stolen.

Bob, this gun thing is a complex matter and I do not claim that I have the right solutions to this problem.

I do not want to limit the rights of the individual and I understand that gun owners who knows how to use guns properly are annoyed if the gun laws are tightened. but sometimes it can be a good thing.

If person has a good reason own a gun then it is ok.

But I do not think that very many people really need a gun.

In humans there is also the disadvantage that we can become crazy and if we have a gun then anything can happen.

Maybe one day someone comes up with a solution that satisfies unarmed and armed people.