• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Chivalry is NOT dead

Chivalry is NOT dead, contrary to what people want you to believe.

This particular example is from, believe it or not - AMERICA.
Yes, you've heard that name plenty of times, but, because bad is more interesting than good, you probably hear more of the negative or dishonorable aspects.

This was in Chicago, Illinois (my back yard), last month. Some of you already knew about it. I did a search and didn't find this in a thread, so here it is.

I included 2 versions of the story, to give more info.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/madina.lake.attack.2.1783476.html

Bassist For Madina Lake Attacked
Matthew Leone Was Attacked In West TownCHICAGO (CBS) ―

The bassist for the band Madina Lake suffered serious injuries after he was attacked for intervening in a domestic dispute in the West Town neighborhood.

Matthew Leone was hospitalized in critical condition, according to published reports.

His twin brother, Nathan Leone, wrote on his blog that Matthew was walking a block and a half from his apartment to meet a friend for a drink. While walking, he found a man "severely" beating his wife, Nathan Leone blogged.

Police said the attack happened about 12:45 a.m. Tuesday in the 1300 block of West Ohio Street. Police said the woman suffered minor injuries and was not hospitalized.

"Even though the guy was twice his size, Matthew intervened," Nathan Leone wrote. "He managed to subdue this guy for a second and since his wife was beat up pretty good called the cops. As he did so, the guy jumped him from behind and beat him. This guy did things I can't even type."

The assailant and his beaten wife left the scene, leaving Matthew Leone unconscious in the street, Nathan Leone wrote.

Matthew Leone was hospitalized with a third of his skull removed and swelling in his brain, his brother said.

"When I got to the hospital, he looked destroyed," Nathan Leone told CBS 2's Kristyn Hartman.

The good news by Thursday evening, however, was that his twin brother was speaking, which gives Nathan hope his brother will be playing again. Friends in the local music industry, meanwhile, were talking about staging a fund-raiser to help pay the bassist's medical bills.

Harrison Area detectives have a suspect in custody and charges are pending.

Madina Lake was formed in Chicago in 2005 by the Leone twins and two other band members – guitarist Mateo Camargo, and drummer Daniel Torelli, reports allmusic.com.

Matthew and Nathan had their first taste of media recognition after they appeared together on the television series Fear Factor. They used their earnings from "eating cow guts and hanging from helicopters" to pay for a demo for Madina Lake, reports allmusic.com.

The band toured the United States for several months, then toured the U.K. as the opening act for Paramore and gained a sizable following in England, Scotland, and Wales, says allmusic.com.

CBS News' Caroline Black, CBS 2's Kristyn Hartman and Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
(© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

http://chicagoist.com/2010/07/02/arrest_made_in_madina_lake_assault.php

Arrest Made In Madina Lake Assault Case; Matthew Leone Regains Consciousness

After committing a commendable act of bravery—coming to the aid of a woman being assaulted by her husband, then being beaten unconscious by him—Madina Lake bassist Matthew Leone has regained consciousness, according to MTV News. Leone was on his way to a bar in West Town when he had witnessed the reported assault. Leone intervened, subduing the man long enough to call authorities, at which point Leone was attacked [from behind] by the husband and left unconscious on the street. Both the husband and wife then left the scene.

Leone’s injuries were reportedly so extensive that a third of his skull was removed in order to prevent further pressure on his swelling brain. Leone’s twin brother and Madina Lake frontman, Nathan, blogged about the incident on the band’s Tumblr page, saying that the incident “has shocked, stunned, disgusted our best friends, family and band…” However, some good news has emerged.

Nathan told MTV News that his brother’s “prognosis is getting better by the hour” and that an arrest in the case has been made. Chicago Breaking News reports that a 33-year-old man was charged with simple domestic battery in connection with the alleged domestic assault.

Chicago police are waiting to charge the man with the attack on Leone, pending a doctor’s briefing and witness corroboration with Leone’s version of events. The band does not have health insurance, but fan site The River Creepers has set up a PayPal account where donations can be made.

The Smashing Pumpkins raised over $80,000 (and counting, with a revised figure to follow) at their sold-out benefit concert Tuesday, July 27 at Chicago’s Metro.

My opinion: I'm not much of a fan of Madina Lake's music (although I've only heard 2 songs), but if you can't find respect for this Matthew guy, then you would have to be moron.
Put it in perspective: You're in the city, at night, you see a woman getting beaten/attacked by a man twice your size. You're alone and have no weapons. You know fully well that you'll likely get badly beaten, maybe killed.
But you still do what you believe is right.
Only an idiot would fail to respect that.

"Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world." - Kenelm Henry Digby

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
If he was a real man, he would have stopped this stupid doormat bitch from linking up with that abusive shithead in the first place. Oh, wait...he didn't know...I guess the cycle will just have to continue!:dunno:

yeah, I didn't read the article. That really sucks for the dude. It's too bad that he didn't have a gun and shoot the wifebeating prick.

----UPDATE-----UPDATE-----UPDATE----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39240284/ns/local_news-chicago_il/

Beaten Bassist: I'm a Walking Miracle

NBCChicago.com
updated 9/17/2010 7:45:09 PM ET

Matthew Leone shouldn't be walking. Or talking. Or possibly even alive.

The bassist for popular Chicago band Madina Lake was savagely beaten in June after he tried to intervene in an altercation between a man and his wife.

The man attacked Leone from behind, injuring him so severely that doctors removed one-third of his skull to make room as his swollen brain returned to size.

Now Leone says his recovery is a profundity he can't even begin to understand.

"They say I'm borderline defying science," Leone said, "because of the way I'm able to walk and talk."

Leone also suffered a broken jaw, a broken nose and a fractured skull. Leone went through two surgeries to re-attach parts of his skull. The support he received has been amazing, he says.

"People have absolutely blown my mind with their good vibrations, it's just floored me."

Charges against Leone's attacker were filed in July. Asked whether he bore any ill will to his attacker, Leone said he couldn't let that occupy his thoughts.

"If I let that dominate my thoughts or my life, it's just going to negatively affect me."

I saw a news story yesterday on this and saw that he's already back in the studio with the rest of the band, laying down some guitar tracks, writing some new songs. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :banger:

Vlad The Impaler

Power Slave
Great story Moony. This guy had a lot to lose and it didn't stop him from doing the right thing. Incredible the recovery he's made.:bowdown:

I've also noticed that nobody on this board gives a flying fuck about a positive story coming out of the U.S. either.

Last edited:
Great story Moony. This guy had a lot to lose and it didn't stop him from doing the right thing. Incredible the recovery he's made.:bowdown:

I've also noticed that nobody on this board gives a flying fuck about a positive story coming out of the U.S. either.

Well, that's no surprise. People prefer to complain, bitch and moan, dwell on the bullshit, and look down their noses because it gives them a sense of superiority. They don't want to acknowledge that something they hate isn't as bad as they want to believe.
Positive is boring.

Lungzyn

Die For Me

Does this really have to be another 'everyone on FreeOnes hates America' thing? I dont think it would be much different if he was from somewhere else.

:dunno:

:hatsoff: to Mr. Leone.

Does this really have to be another 'everyone on FreeOnes hates America' thing? I dont think it would be much different if he was from somewhere else.

:dunno:

:hatsoff: to Mr. Leone.

No, it doesn't have to, but when I started the thread, most of the rotating threads were about negative things, and most of them were very much directed at America (some of it was certainly reasonable). However I did see people saying Americans are cowards and without conscience or morals, so here was an example otherwise. Yes, it can happen in other countries but that isn't the point at all. Of course not "everyone on freeones hates America". That would be a ridiculous assumption. But the thread was meant to, even on a small scale, shed some positive light here. It is for Americans to read and realise just as much as it is for everyone else.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
It keeps amazing me how sad a big handful of people on this board are.

Even faced with a story of bravery and being a real man, standing up for a person he did not even know and I suppose all our haters would not waste a second thought over, those hating trolls can't just click out of the thread but they really feel like writing a liitls hitty post just to make sure someone else can feel a bit worse than he felt before.

Bravo.

So good to know we got hat Ignore List. Some guys are getting out of my sight right now. Life can still be good.

A friend of mine did this exact same thing. Except he kicked the woman beaters ass. Then the woman attacked my friend and called the cops on him. Then a couple weeks later, she told the guy that was abusing her where my friend lived so him and a carful of buddies could hospitalize him.

The woman in this article sadly won't learn anything and will probably keep getting abused by this piece of shit. Then someone else will intervene and get beat up too.

Isn't life great?

And Vlad, nobody said shit about not giving a fuck about America until you said something. If anything, nobody gives a fuck about a positive story coming from anywhere. Don't take it personally. :p

I honestly thought this thread was going to be about holding a door open for a woman and she was thankful for the gesture.

Sadly I was wrong. :(

This is the first time I read this thread or heard about this story. Of course this guy is a hero, but I guess if people are waiting for some good ol' American criticism to seep into this thread..

Okay, here's some. Gee, what a terrible prospect this guy faced...be a hero, get severely injured, and get stuck with a truck load of hospital bills because of this country's bass awkward and greedy approach to healthcare. :facepalm:

It's too expensive and there's too much risk to bother being Chivalrous in America these days...

I'm guessing too that the perp is some sort meathead knuckledragger with nothing more than 2 nickels to his name thereby rendering a civil suit a moot point...

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
I always try to be chivilrous when it comes to women, however, there are 75% of the female populace that I have encountered where I live that prefer the douces. As for the other 25% of women, I remind them of a dead boyfriend, or a boyfriend they were with and then turned out to be gay.